Relaxed Hair Thread

Ok hi here’s your annoying younger sister with questions. I dug around the archives about pre relaxer prep. I want to throw out my thoughts and ask a few questions, I will say I’m not sure why I’m being this vested in my retouch but maybe the size of a mustard seed hope that I can have healthy hair is moving.

Ok I plan to relax Wednesday. Sunday will be my last wash day. I will clarify, protein, then air dry. Tues I would base my scalp.

One thing I saw love @MzSwift saw she bases with Vaseline but also say good sis @Evolving78 mention back in 2012 of basing with vitale I have it in the chopper now aka Amazon cart lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Well I’m sitting here with neutralizer in my hair.. this experience sucked! lol
Ok hi here’s your annoying younger sister with questions. I dug around the archives about pre relaxer prep. I want to throw out my thoughts and ask a few questions, I will say I’m not sure why I’m being this vested in my retouch but maybe the size of a mustard seed hope that I can have healthy hair is moving.

Ok I plan to relax Wednesday. Sunday will be my last wash day. I will clarify, protein, then air dry. Tues I would base my scalp.

One thing I saw love @MzSwift saw she bases with Vaseline but also say good sis @Evolving78 mention back in 2012 of basing with vitale I have it in the chopper now aka Amazon cart lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
i switched to Mizani Butter Blends Base. I have been using that over the years. I will say to just make sure you coat your previous hair with something like a base or conditioner. The Design Essentials Restore is used prior to relaxing too. Use a timer, and do not go over the timer no matter what. Live to fight another day!

i switched to Mizani Butter Blends Base. I have been using that over the years. I will say to just make sure you coat your previous hair with something like a base or conditioner. The Design Essentials Restore is used prior to relaxing too. Use a timer, and do not go over the timer no matter what. Live to fight another day!
Why did it suck? Ok I will keep my eyes peeled for the butter base. I got the other stuff because I know I have burned each time just using Dax grease.

I start my prep one week before relaxer day:
  1. Clarifying shampoo - lather once.
  2. Moisturizing shampoo - lather once.
  3. Light protein reconstructor for 5 minutes.
  4. Moisturizing deep conditioner - 30 minutes with heat.
  5. Light leave-in conditioner and a light oil.
  6. Thoroughly detangle and air dry.
I relax my hair with the Affirm regular conditioning line, using their entire system. The night before:
  1. Part my hair into quadrants.
  2. In each quad, make 1/2-inch sections.
  3. Apply Affirm Protecto from root to tip of each 1/2-inch section (this is a conditioner/protein filler).
  4. Base each parting with Affirm Gentle Assurance.
  5. Coat relaxed ends with Blue Magic grease.
  6. 2-strand twist the relaxed ends of each 1/2-inch section.

Love this, cause that is exactly how I feel after every relaxer when I still have hair on my head. :lachen:

1718423204193.gif

I start my prep one week before relaxer day:
  1. Clarifying shampoo - lather once.
  2. Moisturizing shampoo - lather once.
  3. Light protein reconstructor for 5 minutes.
  4. Moisturizing deep conditioner - 30 minutes with heat.
  5. Light leave-in conditioner and a light oil.
  6. Thoroughly detangle and air dry.
I relax my hair with the Affirm regular conditioning line, using their entire system. The night before:
  1. Part my hair into quadrants.
  2. In each quad, make 1/2-inch sections.
  3. Apply Affirm Protecto from root to tip of each 1/2-inch section (this is a conditioner/protein filler).
  4. Base each parting with Affirm Gentle Assurance.
  5. Coat relaxed ends with Blue Magic grease.
  6. 2-strand twist the relaxed ends of each 1/2-inch section.
Are you a scientist? Please tell me you are! Thank you and the level of methodical process is uncannying.

@Plushottie

You know I'm a non-traditional relaxer so I won't give too many detailed tips about my process. BUT I'll "Amen" a few things @Theresamonet said:

-YES to prepping the day before - don't try to do it all the same day.
-YES to pre-parting the hair and coating the hair with conditioner from root to tip in each section
-YES to sealing the previously relaxed hair with grease to protect it as a last step
-YES to basing the scalp in those parts.

I'll add:
-put all of your pre-parts into twists after sealing with grease to make it easier to grab them when you apply your relaxer (thanks, @sunnieb ). That'll make your application process go a lot faster.

-right before you start applying, base the skin around your hairline AND include your ears (tips and back side especially)

-start with the areas of your head that are the most coarse as they will need the longer processing time.

-Apply as quickly as you can and spend the majority of your time focusing on the smoothing.

-Don't apply relaxer to your most fragile areas (usually the edges) until AFTER you've smoothed the relaxer in the rest of your head.

-if you end up with scalp burns in spite of basing, 1) use an vingar or ACV rinse during neutralizing to help heal the burn and it helps neutralize your hair faster and, 2) you may need to try another basing product.

@Plushottie

You know I'm a non-traditional relaxer so I won't give too many detailed tips about my process. BUT I'll "Amen" a few things @Theresamonet said:

-YES to prepping the day before - don't try to do it all the same day.
-YES to pre-parting the hair and coating the hair with conditioner from root to tip in each section
-YES to sealing the previously relaxed hair with grease to protect it as a last step
-YES to basing the scalp in those parts.

I'll add:
-put all of your pre-parts into twists after sealing with grease to make it easier to grab them when you apply your relaxer (thanks, @sunnieb ). That'll make your application process go a lot faster.

-right before you start applying, base the skin around your hairline AND include your ears (tips and back side especially)

-start with the areas of your head that are the most coarse as they will need the longer processing time.

-Apply as quickly as you can and spend the majority of your time focusing on the smoothing.

-Don't apply relaxer to your most fragile areas (usually the edges) until AFTER you've smoothed the relaxer in the rest of your head.

-if you end up with scalp burns in spite of basing, 1) use an vingar or ACV rinse during neutralizing to help heal the burn and it helps neutralize your hair faster and, 2) you may need to try another basing product.
Thank you for confirmation and the acv tip. I’m just trying to have flourishing hair.

Ok so what do you like about them? I have seen the DE one pop up a few times and I love Redken. How’s your hair since your relaxer?
They are both moisturizing and they help with detangling. They are not drying, or stripping. My hair feels fine. I used DE honey milk neutralizing shampoo, 6-1 reconstructor, DE honey crème conditioner, and used restore. My hair feels soft, light, and manageable. I just don’t like that my hair is under processed. I prefer bone-straight. My hair is coily and fine. So the new growth is coily and the rest of the strand is straight. So think of a spring coil being stretched out.

I also, like the DE lavender and agave collection. Love that whole line. I also like Keracare. I stick with tried and true lines. Essations and Nairobi are some great brands too! I will spend some money on salon quality products.

They are both moisturizing and they help with detangling. They are not drying, or stripping. My hair feels fine. I used DE honey milk neutralizing shampoo, 6-1 reconstructor, DE honey crème conditioner, and used restore. My hair feels soft, light, and manageable. I just don’t like that my hair is under processed. I prefer bone-straight. My hair is coily and fine. So the new growth is coily and the rest of the strand is straight. So think of a spring coil being stretched out.
Ordered the shampoo. You used lye or no lye? Sorry for all the 50 questions.

Back