Relaxed Hair Thread

Ok im sorry to have more questions, researching here a lot of info is older which means possible formula changes. What are our fav hydrating poos? I currently have pureology and aproghee deep moisture.

I don't use poos very often but I still have a bottle of ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe poo. I busted it out last year and found it to be pretty moisturizing.

1718544991179.png

Yea I’m going no lye this time as I want straight hair not bone but straight. How are you going to style your hair?

I know our no-lye ladies will chime in but I just wanted to add to not forget a chelating poo when using no-lye. Unless there's a new development, ladies reported needing to chelate to remove the minerals deposited by the no-lye relaxers.

In fact the ORS Creamy Aloe will be a good poo if you're using no-lye!

More chelating recs in this thread - even a Redken one (since you like that line :) )

I know our no-lye ladies will chime in but I just wanted to add to not forget a chelating poo when using no-lye. Unless there's a new development, ladies reported needing to chelate to remove the minerals deposited by the no-lye relaxers.

In fact the ORS Creamy Aloe will be a good poo if you're using no-lye!

More chelating recs in this thread - even a Redken one (since you like that line :) )

You’re truly world class. Let me go review now.

Ladies, how are you able to tell, prior to rinsing out the relaxer that your hair is processed to the desired texture?

Good question!

Because I texlax, I'm not looking for a super straight texture. I also relax in really big, loose (at the roots) twists. So I'm able to quickly slather on my relaxer and squeeze it in and then start smoothing in less than 3 minutes. Then I smooth for another 2-3 minutes and then snap my pix, start my water and then rinse. So in all, the relaxer is only on about 8-9 mintues. It's probably why I don't dread my relaxer days - they're over so fast. :lachen:

I tell you that so that if you want to go for a straighter end result, you'd let your hair sit/process for at least 2-3 more minutes longer WITHOUT ANYMORE SMOOTHING! Very important. Once you see the texture you want, don't smooth any more.

I don't have wavy/curly natural hair, my hair is kinky/coily/poofy texture. Bear with me, I take a ton of pix. lol

This is my most recent relaxer in Dec. I only did 6 big twists. I really liked this and I'm probably gonna stick with it. The lesser number of twists I have, the easier it is for me to squeeze the relaxer into the base of the twists and then smooth. I smooth until I see waves like I would with a slick back bun. I hope that makes sense, LOL!

Before, during and after

1718546431430.png 1718546458437.png 1718546553521.png

But when my hair gets longer, the texture looks a bit more elongated. I still look for small waves though but they're not as pronounced.

Here's my before and during (I don't have an after of the back). My crown and right below it is the coarsest part of my hair so I start my relaxers there and the relaxer stays on the longest in that part. (Still only about 8 minutes)
1718546657582.png 1718546685986.png

Before, during and after (same relaxer day)

1718546808969.png 1718546833852.png 1718546852474.png

And this is another "after" on longer hair, it was one of my favorite relaxer days.

This is slicked down with a heavy DC on it.

1718546953383.png

So even though I leave a lot of texture in my hair, it can still be easily slicked when I need it to be. Also, it's not so much texture that I can't tell the difference between my texlaxed hair and my new growth. My new growth is much kinkier and less pliable than my texlaxed hair.

HTH! :)

Last edited:
Yall use leave-in’s and if so what are we liking? Also do you all blow dry after relaxing or air dry?
Yes I do use leave ins. I'm currently rotating between TGIN Green Tea, Giovanni Weightless Leave in, and Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1. My relaxed hair is so much less picky than my natural hair :laugh: I air dry cause I'm lazy, and don't mind fluffy hair.

Yes I do use leave ins. I'm currently rotating between TGIN Green Tea, Giovanni Weightless Leave in, and Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1. My relaxed hair is so much less picky than my natural hair :laugh: I air dry cause I'm lazy, and don't mind fluffy hair.

I have tried 2 of 3 let me put the tgin on my to look at list. I remember watching a YouTuber who did blow dry post relaxer as she would flatiron and felt double heat is too much.

Ok y’all forgive me another question. Would you say it’s something off if your hair is dry the day after wash day? You could have used a hydrating poo/dc and bathed in oils. I have always been this way which makes me not like washing hair but I know scalp needs it.

Sis I was not kidding with you when I said my hair MUST be watered and M&S DAILY! Give your hair what she's looking for. She will reward you for it.

I used to feel like I was doing something wrong when ladies would post that your wash and DC should give your hair enough moisture to last. It never does or did for me. I've learned to listen to my hair and she has shown that I'm doing the right thing.

So I'll tell you to LISTEN TO YOUR HAIR when advice and opinions aren't giving you the results you're looking for.

Sis I was not kidding with you when I said my hair MUST be watered and M&S DAILY! Give your hair what she's looking for. She will reward you for it.

I used to feel like I was doing something wrong when ladies would post that your wash and DC should give your hair enough moisture to last. It never does or did for me. I've learned to listen to my hair and she has shown that I'm doing the right thing.

So I'll tell you to LISTEN TO YOUR HAIR when advice and opinions aren't giving you the results you're looking for.
Ok yess!! I have seen some here and even a stylist that said leave-in was worthless and if you’re hair is dry you need to wash it. Like my hair felt juicy but this morning my hair acted like she wasn’t given no food.

I just am trying to fine tune this time.

Ok yess!! I have seen some here and even a stylist that said leave-in was worthless and if you’re hair is dry you need to wash it. Like my hair felt juicy but this morning my hair acted like she wasn’t given no food.

I just am trying to fine tune this time.

I think for a lot of ppl, washing is the only time their hair gets watered. So that's why they say "wash and DC" when the hair is feeling dry. It was always confusing to me bc in my mind shampoo is for cleansing which ends up making my hair feel more stripped. My hair loves conditioners though. I used to leave in condish before I learned about it on the hair boards bc I loved the way it made my hair feel.

BUT on the hair boards, I learned about dry DCing and that made sense to me. I was so happy I didn't need to wash first. When ladies said they would do a mid-week dry DC, that made sense to me. I don't need more shampoo! I need more conditioning!! And I need more water!! So that LOC/LCO process felt really natural to me. And doing it daily makes my hair happy.

BTW, I'm so happy to see you're reinvigorated!! :2inlove:

I think for a lot of ppl, washing is the only time their hair gets watered. So that's why they say "wash and DC" when the hair is feeling dry. It was always confusing to me bc in my mind shampoo is for cleansing which ends up making my hair feel more stripped. My hair loves conditioners though. I used to leave in condish before I learned about it on the hair boards bc I loved the way it made my hair feel.

BUT on the hair boards, I learned about dry DCing and that made sense to me. I was so happy I didn't need to wash first. When ladies said they would do a mid-week dry DC, that made sense to me. I don't need more shampoo! I need more conditioning!! And I need more water!! So that LOC/LCO process felt really natural to me. And doing it daily makes my hair happy.

BTW, I'm so happy to see you're reinvigorated!! :2inlove:
Ok you get me well. I think after listening to that stylist I stopped doing what I was doing granted my hair wasn’t lush but now it’s like I’m doing 2 wash days and by the time my hair feels good I’m washing it. So I’m going to adopt dry dc and wash weekly.

I’m really trying to be the total package. At my salary level and physical limits before I go medical intervention.

I’ve noticed alot of deep conditioners say essentially up to 72 hours of conditioning. It really does seem like there’s an assumption from these companies that people are washing their hair multiple times a week which isn’t popular in our community.

I wish my hair was low maintenance enough to was daily after my workouts. But I will spray it down with a leave in on the second day if I remember to prevent dryness before it starts

Ok you get me well. I think after listening to that stylist I stopped doing what I was doing granted my hair wasn’t lush but now it’s like I’m doing 2 wash days and by the time my hair feels good I’m washing it. So I’m going to adopt dry dc and wash weekly.

I’m really trying to be the total package. At my salary level and physical limits before I go medical intervention.
I wash my hair twice a week.

Back