Relaxed Hair Thread

I'm not loving my hair right now, so much calcium buildup and dandruff, it's not responding to any conditioner, chelating shampoo stopped working a long time ago. What should I do? Set up an appointment for a lye relaxer at the salon(I'm 5 weeks post), get weave or braids, and wait a little longer to relax at the salon? The cheapest would be to go to the salon next week- $50 Getting a weave- $85 or $65 to install(depends on who I decide to go to), plus the hair(bss) Installing braids- $70 or $85(depends on who I go to), plus the hair($50-$60)

I agree with getting a swimmers shampoo. Paul Mitchell sells one called Shampoo Three. Also, find out if your buildup is coming from hard water. Lye relaxers definitely do reduce your chances for calcium build up though.

So.....huge setback today...I feel so bad :(

All in the name of getting healthier hair, I've been trying to do this whole rollersetting thing for the past 3 weeks (once per week). I can't do this anymore. I NEVER got this much breakage during my normal airdry/flatiron routine. I know it can't be my products....I've been using the same ones and up until I started rollersetting my hair they were working great. I'll lose some hair during the detangling process, but nothing enough to make me freak out. But when I take the rollers out OMG. And even during the week, I notice more breakage than usual even though I moisturize and seal.

I just really think it's just way too much manipulation for me. All the pins and combing and whatnot, my hair just can't deal. Even going really slow and using 3 different combs doesn't help. Usually, I just detangle quickly with a wide tooth comb and then wait for it to dry out before I go through in small sections with the flat iron + chase method. I know heat seems to be the devil here, but I gotta go back. This is ridiculous, and takes waaaaaaay too much time for me to be getting these results. Sure, it LOOKS good, ends are straight and all, but something is definitely wrong with the amount of hair I'm losing.

My hair looks to be the same length as it was right before my last relaxer, so I'm hoping I haven't damaged to the point where I'm set back for 6 months or something. I just know not to try this any time soon.

Sorry for ranting y'all. I just took down my set and am just pissed that I lost so much hair :( Up until I tried to change my routine, I was doing so well. I thought that maybe eliminating direct heat would optimize my regimen but that doesn't seem to be the case

So.....huge setback today...I feel so bad :(

All in the name of getting healthier hair, I've been trying to do this whole rollersetting thing for the past 3 weeks (once per week). I can't do this anymore. I NEVER got this much breakage during my normal airdry/flatiron routine. I know it can't be my products....I've been using the same ones and up until I started rollersetting my hair they were working great. I'll lose some hair during the detangling process, but nothing enough to make me freak out. But when I take the rollers out OMG. And even during the week, I notice more breakage than usual even though I moisturize and seal.

I just really think it's just way too much manipulation for me. All the pins and combing and whatnot, my hair just can't deal. Even going really slow and using 3 different combs doesn't help. Usually, I just detangle quickly with a wide tooth comb and then wait for it to dry out before I go through in small sections with the flat iron + chase method. I know heat seems to be the devil here, but I gotta go back. This is ridiculous, and takes waaaaaaay too much time for me to be getting these results. Sure, it LOOKS good, ends are straight and all, but something is definitely wrong with the amount of hair I'm losing.

My hair looks to be the same length as it was right before my last relaxer, so I'm hoping I haven't damaged to the point where I'm set back for 6 months or something. I just know not to try this any time soon.

Sorry for ranting y'all. I just took down my set and am just pissed that I lost so much hair :( Up until I tried to change my routine, I was doing so well. I thought that maybe eliminating direct heat would optimize my regimen but that doesn't seem to be the case

Go back to what you know

I wish salons in my area offered Sunday hours.

jgirl3, I'm sorry about your setback. Hopefully it isn't as bad as you think. Try flexi rods. They are much, much easier. I've been flexi rodding consistently and loving it. I have pics on my blog. Far less smoothing & manipulation required.

I love flexi rods!!!! I use a little bit of Lotta body (in the white bottle) with a little oil on dry hair & I have the best curls. I only use about 5 purple ones and keep them in overnight.

I haven't Saludable84. Tbh, I hate filming videos and only do them when someone requests something that I can't explain. Otherwise, I never think about recording. Do you like vlogging?

What questions you have about doing flexis?

I haven't Saludable84. Tbh, I hate filming videos and only do them when someone requests something that I can't explain. Otherwise, I never think about recording. Do you like vlogging? What questions you have about doing flexis?

I don't care for vlogging. I do it when necessary, but otherwise not a fan of the Camara. Always been a quiet shy person. My sister on the other hand could teach me a few things about vlogging

I don't care for vlogging. I do it when necessary, but otherwise not a fan of the Camara. Always been a quiet shy person. My sister on the other hand could teach me a few things about vlogging

Does she vlog Saludable84 ? I'm not shy. I prefer perfection (discussion & quality) and it's hard to achieve without putting in hours of work. I don't have time for that foolishness.

Hi ladies. After being natural since 2009 I plan on relaxing this fall. Below is the letter I sent my stylist. I haven’t been able to get past shoulder length really since transitioning :perplexed

Dear...
I am writing to see if you would consider adding me back into your rotation of texlaxed clients. I know you said you are trying to get away from offering relaxers but I was hoping you would make an exception since you are the only person I trust to relax my hair (I don’t even trust myself, haha). I have come to the realization that my hair thrived best when I was texlaxed. I know this is due to the fact that I prefer to wear my hair primarily straight. Due to how tightly coiled my hair is the amount of manipulation (detangling, blow drying, and heat) causes far more damage to my hair than relaxers have in the past. I am at the point where I am unable to maintain any length unless I wear weaves. Now please don’t get me wrong I love the ease and flexibility of wearing weaves, I just miss my hair. I miss being able to roller set it, deep condition it, and watching it grow-grow-grow. This is a picture of my hair in 2009 right after you gave me my last relaxer. My hair hasn’t looked this great since then!

34sl6qb.jpg

This has been on my mind for a few months now and I hope you could help me reach my hair goals. I plan on wearing weaves through the end of 2014, or at the least the fall, before relaxing again.
See you soon and take care!

^^^ That's sweet! :yep:

I got a lot of new growth so I'm washing today and will relax by the end of the week. Interested in seeing how much growth I get, especially since using this oil mix I made. I'm also looking into different bob cuts, I definitely need a nice trim.

^^^ That's sweet! :yep:

I got a lot of new growth so I'm washing today and will relax by the end of the week. Interested in seeing how much growth I get, especially since using this oil mix I made. I'm also looking into different bob cuts, I definitely need a nice trim.

I'm relaxing on Friday. So over all this newgrowth!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

^^^ 2 weeks is doable for me. Thanks!

OAN: I just tried the infamous LCO method for a braid out. Hopefully I don't look like a wet dog in the morning. I used Aussie Moist leave-in, Hawaiian Silky & an oil. Let's see how this goes....

Last edited:
Back