Relaxed Hair Thread

No-Lye won't leave your hair super straight, you can keep some texture with it. My hair straightened better with no-lye while my hair is resistant to the lye. Well resistant in general. It doesn't hurt to try the no lye, just be aware of the upkeep it involves. I first texlaxed with no lye and it wasn't bad. I still had some thickness, but it was straighter too.

Thanks for the heads up. I know I will have to keep some chelating shampoo on hand for sure. I never though my hair could be that resistant to lye but its bullet proof!

hi relaxed ladies,
Please help,
I went to a new hairdresser yesterday and she applied and combed the relaxer with a fine tooth comb trough my new growth. I asked her to use the back of the comb but she said that my hair was too thick. Is my hair now damaged? And if so what to do or should I be just fine? thanks in advance

hi relaxed ladies,
Please help,
I went to a new hairdresser yesterday and she applied and combed the relaxer with a fine tooth comb trough my new growth. I asked her to use the back of the comb but she said that my hair was too thick. Is my hair now damaged? And if so what to do or should I be just fine? thanks in advance

NG is strong. You'll be fine.

hi relaxed ladies, Please help, I went to a new hairdresser yesterday and she applied and combed the relaxer with a fine tooth comb trough my new growth. I asked her to use the back of the comb but she said that my hair was too thick. Is my hair now damaged? And if so what to do or should I be just fine? thanks in advance

Agree with pre_medicalrulz....all should be well.

Sometimes, though we put ourselves in restrictions, I feel that you have to do what's best. If stretching may cause you too much trouble or breakage just relax. In the end, you have to weigh the pros and cons of waiting and relaxing.

Saludable That is so true. I know I've been shedding like someone's puppy but I'm not sure if that's due to needing a touch-up or just a seasonal or hormonal thing. I've also been seeing what to most would be considered minimal breakage but is entirely too much for my comfort. I'm going to keep an eye on my hair and touch-up when I'm ready. I think I definitely have close to an inch of new growth so overlapping won't be an issue.

thanks PREmedicalrulz and divachyck but is this method not harmful for the hair? and can I go back to her? Thanks
It will straighten your hair more but it won't be too harmful. Next time take a sprush with you or tell her you prefer her to not smooth it with a comb. It's your preference and your money.

Saludable That is so true. I know I've been shedding like someone's puppy but I'm not sure if that's due to needing a touch-up or just a seasonal or hormonal thing. I've also been seeing what to most would be considered minimal breakage but is entirely too much for my comfort. I'm going to keep an eye on my hair and touch-up when I'm ready. I think I definitely have close to an inch of new growth so overlapping won't be an issue.

Keep watching it. My last stretch, it went well and I didn't have excess shedding or breakage, I just relaxed because it fit a certain schedule. My stretch before, I went 16/20 weeks because I was too lazy and my hair was breaking because of it. I hated relaxing so soon because I had a set schedule, but I had to or risked a setback just to say "Oh, I stretched for 20 weeks". This time I went 19/20 weeks. I'm happy with that as long as my hair is doing well.

pre_medicalrulz flyygirlll2, my wet hair use to tangle, matte, web & stick together something serious. The ~4" inch chop helped it tremendously! I'm not dealing with that any longer...knock on wood. Air drying isn't good for my hair, it dreads together which is a little different from the sticking that I'm talking about when wet. Using indirect heat each week has helped the mini dreads issue.

Saludable84, I can get about 5 to 7 days of curls when pineappling, pin curling or bantu knotting the hair each night. I get sick of curls quick so by day 4 or 5, I'm no longer trying to preserve them. I will put my hair in a bun and call it a night.

You can't tell but I can't run my fingers thru my strands. At all. They are stuck together once again. Once I flat iron, they just cling to each other. Like bad static. The whole head! Lol

Anyone experiences this on dry hair?

ForumRunner_20140629_170244.jpg

Last edited:
You can't tell but I can't run my fingers thru my strands. At all. They are stuck together once again. Once I flat iron, they just cling to each other. Like bad static. The whole head! Lol

Anyone experiences this on dry hair?

View attachment 266895

pre_medicalrulz, yes - I had excessive split ends and mid-shaft splits. I could comb my hair one second and try to run my fingers through it the next but couldn't. My hair was clinging together. Have you checked to see if you have split ends or mid shaft splits?

Saludable84, I like pin curls because it keeps the curls soft and loose. Bantu knots preserve them best. Pineapple does loosen the back. I like looser curls so I rarely bantu knot because it keeps them too tight. If I were trying to maintain the set for the week, bantu knots would be my option also. I would never sleep in flexis. I sleep to rough and it would rip my hair out, not to mention, that has got to be super umcomfy.

EcoStyler Gel and buns. :lol:

Yes lawd. ^ I havent had a touch-up since Feb. 9, and want to go until late September at least. Clear EcoStyler, the Smooth N Shine Gel in the yellow jar and damp bunning is working for me. I have well over 2" of NG. I try to keep the daily manipulation to a minimum in general, but especially once at least 1 inch of new growth has reared its head.

You can't tell but I can't run my fingers thru my strands. At all. They are stuck together once again. Once I flat iron, they just cling to each other. Like bad static. The whole head! Lol Anyone experiences this on dry hair?

Yep as diva said it was when I had crazy split ends. Had to do a decent trim to fix it.

pre_medicalrulz, yes - I had excessive split ends and mid-shaft splits. I could comb my hair one second and try to run my fingers through it the next but couldn't. My hair was clinging together. Have you checked to see if you have split ends or mid shaft splits?

Ahhhh shoot! Don't tell me that. :( I can't fix midshaft splits w/o shaving my hair off. Aughh!!!

You can't tell but I can't run my fingers thru my strands. At all. They are stuck together once again. Once I flat iron, they just cling to each other. Like bad static. The whole head! Lol Anyone experiences this on dry hair?

Mine does that too if my heat protectant has too much protein, is not good enough or my hair is too dry before flat ironing.

Mine does that too if my heat protectant has too much protein, is not good enough or my hair is too dry before flat ironing.

When I was using redkin heat glide and I flat ironed my hair was stiff and stuck together. Never again will I use this. I don't know if it has protein in It

Yes lawd. ^ I havent had a touch-up since Feb. 9, and want to go until late September at least. Clear EcoStyler, the Smooth N Shine Gel in the yellow jar and damp bunning is working for me. I have well over 2" of NG. I try to keep the daily manipulation to a minimum in general, but especially once at least 1 inch of new growth has reared its head.

You're motivating me to stretch longer than 12 weeks! Lately I've been into Fantasia IC Gel but Ill try the Smooth N Shine one when I'm out of this.

Do you wear buns exclusively when you're stretching?

When I was using redkin heat glide and I flat ironed my hair was stiff and stuck together. Never again will I use this. I don't know if it has protein in It

I hair does this with aphogee, silk elements, CHI keratin mist, and Organix keratin oil. It sometimes does this Kerastase if I don't use enough moisture DC and never does this with CHI Keratin Silk infusion.

POst pics of your styles this far into your stretch please. I'm in need of inspiration. THANKS :)

Back