Relaxed Hair Thread

@PureSilver

I rarely do vinegar rinses these days but I still like it from time to time after I relax. I always have to follow up with deep moisture cond. All I know about Fantasia IC is that I love their gel with sparkle lites. I'll let the other ladies weigh in on their experience with that leave-in (*My staples that work for my dry hair are NTM or ORS Girlz oil moistrzr mixed w/ water,Also Blue Magic has a Mango & Lime and a Tea Tree Oil that I think are really good too- tried the Argan oil, didnt like it-couldnt detangle smoothly... Im thinking of trying Yes to Carrots leave-in and other products, I just dont want to regret it).
I think a lot of ladies like CON, but I tried it a long time ago and used it up quickly and will not buy it again. The reason was not because it dried my hair out, but more that it did not have enough slip. I need A LOT of slip and moisture from my conditioners whether just co-washing or deep conditioning. Everyone hair is different, may be a hit for one and miss for another...
I have a problem with a stylist giving advice and then not being able to explain the reason why you should or shouldnt. If you want me to continue being a customer, "I dont know" is not a good response when I ask a question pertaining to my HAIR. And I definitely have a problem with a stylist using products and tools on my hair without me having knowledge about it or giving consent. I need to know EVERYTHING, every move she makes (lol... but seriously).

Last edited:
Urgent question! Is it a bad idea to relax my hair the same day I wash and condition (protein conditioner - Joico) it?? I had planned to relax this weekend but I have a couple events to attend so I just want to relax because I am 4 months post and my ng is crazy. Would washing and relaxing in one day be too much manipulation? I feel like I read somewhere that it's best to wait a few days after washing to relax.

It might irritate your scalp more and straighten the hair more because it's clean, but that all I can think of.

Belletropjolie, even if you base your scalp extremely well, I would not do it. I've known people who have used that technique and still ended up with chemical burns in various spots on their head. One day is just too soon IMO, Some people say six weeks but I would wait two weeks at least ( I have done it in one week once before when I just couldnt wait and it seemed my relaxer didnt take At ALL).

Urgent question!

Is it a bad idea to relax my hair the same day I wash and condition (protein conditioner - Joico) it??

I had planned to relax this weekend but I have a couple events to attend so I just want to relax because I am 4 months post and my ng is crazy.

Would washing and relaxing in one day be too much manipulation? I feel like I read somewhere that it's best to wait a few days after washing to relax.

As a general rule (per several stylists I've been too), the hair should not be washed within 72 hours of relaxer. Pores are open and burning may result. Keep in mind all scalps differ. Think sunnieb Nix08 cowash a day before but don't think they do it the same day.

As a general rule (per several stylists I've been too), the hair should not be washed within 72 hours of relaxer. Pores are open and burning may result. Keep in mind all scalps differ. Think @sunnieb @Nix08 cowash a day before but don't think they do it the same day.

divachyk - girl, you know I have a cement scalp! :lachen:

I wash, cowash, scratch, errrythang right before a relaxer and never burn. :look:

I generally tell ladies to abide by the 72-hour rule! :yep:

Urgent question!

Is it a bad idea to relax my hair the same day I wash and condition (protein conditioner - Joico) it??

I had planned to relax this weekend but I have a couple events to attend so I just want to relax because I am 4 months post and my ng is crazy.

Would washing and relaxing in one day be too much manipulation? I feel like I read somewhere that it's best to wait a few days after washing to relax.

it is said to wait also because while washing you can irritate the scalp

As a general rule (per several stylists I've been too), the hair should not be washed within 72 hours of relaxer. Pores are open and burning may result. Keep in mind all scalps differ. Think sunnieb Nix08 cowash a day before but don't think they do it the same day.

Ive done it the next day. It didn't bother me, but I just based really well. I didn't have a problem.

Sorry for the late reply but yes..I've regularly cowashed the day before but I also don't advise anyone to do so 'just in case.'

@PureSilver, somehow I thought you were using the new CON argan so yeah, I'm with @Lilmama1011...may be too much protein. Many like Aphogee 2 minute. I like AO GPB or Ion Effective Care (red label) from Sally's. ETA: I use whatever protein my stylist has on hand that day. I don't take my products with me to the salon. How do you know your hair won't like the 2 n 1 she uses? It always try their products first and then make moves from there. I don't just walk up in there with products in hand demanding use. While nothing is wrong with that, I just am trusting until given a reason not to. Are you certain she will use your products?
I did ask her if i could take my own treatment and she said yes however there will be no reduced charge. If she cannot even give me an idea of the contents of her treatment. I'll pass because i can't have NO ONE jack up my hair after working so hard Ain't nobody got time for DAT! I'm leaning on the Aphogee 2min or CON intensive conditioner with argan oil.

@PureSilver

Thank your for this, i will do a light protein treatment and start with the leave in after my relaxer. I did ask her if i could take my own treatment and she did say yes, however there will be no reduced cost. divachyk
I rarely do vinegar rinses these days but I still like it from time to time after I relax. I always have to follow up with deep moisture cond. All I know about Fantasia IC is that I love their gel with sparkle lites. I'll let the other ladies weigh in on their experience with that leave-in (*My staples that work for my dry hair are NTM or ORS Girlz oil moistrzr mixed w/ water,Also Blue Magic has a Mango & Lime and a Tea Tree Oil that I think are really good too- tried the Argan oil, didnt like it-couldnt detangle smoothly... Im thinking of trying Yes to Carrots leave-in and other products, I just dont want to regret it).
I think a lot of ladies like CON, but I tried it a long time ago and used it up quickly and will not buy it again. The reason was not because it dried my hair out, but more that it did not have enough slip. I need A LOT of slip and moisture from my conditioners whether just co-washing or deep conditioning. Everyone hair is different, may be a hit for one and miss for another...
I have a problem with a stylist giving advice and then not being able to explain the reason why you should or shouldnt. If you want me to continue being a customer, "I dont know" is not a good response when I ask a question pertaining to my HAIR. And I definitely have a problem with a stylist using products and tools on my hair without me having knowledge about it or giving consent. I need to know EVERYTHING, every move she makes (lol... but seriously).

Totally agree with all the bolded, i may or may not go to her but if i do it may be my last. Thank you for the product suggestions too. Christa438

Love my bangs but gotta grow them out for summer. Maybe i will do some layers. Co washing is my friend in the summer. And i'm to active outside not to.

I wanna wear curly rollersets but with a curly bang, i figure that would help me tranistion.

Something like this

Attachments

• 7eb647530a43318ceefbefcf313320a4.jpg
    7eb647530a43318ceefbefcf313320a4.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm thinking of cutting my hair back to APL. It's BSL now.

I'm getting bored with my hair. I mostly wear it in a bun because I work out 4-5x a week but I'm getting tired of the same hairstyles. My hair gets tangled when I do braidouts so thats a no no for me.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of cutting my hair back to APL. It's BSL now.

I'm getting bored with my hair. I mostly wear it in a bun because I work out 4-5x a week but I'm getting tired of the same hairstyles. My hair gets tangled when I do braidouts so thats a no no for me.

Any suggestions?

How would you wear it at APL, especially since you bun it for working out?

PureSilver, back when I got a relaxer only, the price was pretty much the same as if I'd got the full out service. I'm sure they won't knock off any in price if I brought my products.

A Texturizer is slightly different from a texture softener (just for me) because some texturizers either use a thio chemical or lye. Texture softener a use no lye. So the mixing of the chemicals may be the problem. Try clarifying or chelating and see if that eliminates the dryness.

If you had low po hair before, it really won't change much unless you don't neutralize properly. You just probably need to clarify or chelate and use some protein (stick with light to medium) and DC with heat again. You should be fine. You don't need DC again unless it's really that bad as it doesn't seem like you want to.

For more help on low po hair though, check out the low porosity support thread. That should help with your low porosity problems.

thanks for answering!! guess my hair likes lye lol. I will stick with just using a texturizer and keeping my hair moisturized as much as possible along with soft protein treatments

i could never do a bun and still can't, even the videos where im like its super easy. it always comes out looking like a little knot or ball and not neat

I relaxed yesterday with the best relaxer on the planet: Linange Shea Butter Relaxer. It is so fantastic. I can go on and on about how it doesn't smell like relaxer, the smooth application, no need for mixing conditioner or oil in it... it got my hair straight (not bone straight) and my hair is soft to the touch! YES! WIN!

PureSilver - I missed your tag above!

Um, yeah that's messed up what your stylist did. I hated when they wouldn't want to tell me what they are putting in my hair.

How did it go? Did you take your own products? How is your hair?

PureSilver - I missed your tag above!

Um, yeah that's messed up what your stylist did. I hated when they wouldn't want to tell me what they are putting in my hair.

How did it go? Did you take your own products? How is your hair?

sunnieb I have another week to go before I relax. I'll relax somewhere between the 5th to the 8th of April. My hair is a thick jungle. I hardly look like I have a relaxer. I'm going to give it a nice PT and moisturizing DC treatment this weekend. I plan to trim my ends myself because she has been dying to trim my hair which I will NOT allow (I have hands I have eyes I mirrors and I have scissors). So no thank you to her for that. I plan to take my EVOO and my own after relaxer treatment and just maybe my own neutralizing shampoo.

I'm thinking of trying the Linange shea butter relaxer. It has similar ingredients to my Silk Elements but seems like it may be better. Going through my notes I realized that last time my hair felt dry and it was from using the CHI silk infusion with that relaxer. This time I want new relaxer and I probably won't use the CHI. I wonder if I can find it on the ground. I know I said I was going to use ORS but idk.

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to say thanks for your advice and
Feedback. You probably helped prevent a setback. I relaxed my hair last night and it came out beautifully.

HOWEVER as my hair gets longer I am realizing how much more work it is and I think I will need to tweak my methods a bit. The relaxing process took entirely too long. I was so tired I couldn't go to a friends birthday party like i had planned because I was absolutely exhausted. I was 4 months post and just detangling through my ng and pre-parting took hours (i was being gentle and being patient) not to mention the actuAl relaxing process. I used the half and half process.

I have a consultation this Tuesday with a stylist. I am considering relaxing at his salon if I get comfortable that his process is sound.

Anyway, i know the drill around here so Ive attached a couple pics. What length do you guys think I am? I got excited thinking Id hit MBL but I think Im probably closer to grazing BSL. What do you think?

Oh and please DO NOT QUOTE PICS. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back