Relaxed Hair Thread

My ends are starting to snip off at the touch! I've been very stressed at work. :(

Suggestions to reverse this? Or stop it entirely??

I'm trying to get into protective styles but it's been a challenge cuz I'm movin soon and trying to save money :(

This made me lol :lachen:. One morning I was was rushing for work. I had my makeup on, threw on my heels, and was headed out the door with my wig cap on-- NO wig! thank goodness my little girl brought it to my attention as I was about to step outside. She had a good laugh, mustve been a sight to see lol. Im so happy you can turn that around with your gorgeous hair and save the day.

Lmbooooo!!!

Two more weeks in this weave then its relaxer prep week then relaxer time... I...can't. ..wait!!!! I hope I have some good progress to show!

This made me lol :lachen:. One morning I was was rushing for work. I had my makeup on, threw on my heels, and was headed out the door with my wig cap on-- NO wig! thank goodness my little girl brought it to my attention as I was about to step outside. She had a good laugh, mustve been a sight to see lol. Im so happy you can turn that around with your gorgeous hair and save the day.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I love cassia!!!!!!!! Love it! Love it! Love it!!! I applied it to dry hair a watches tv for a couple of hours. Then I shampooed it out with Shea moisture retention shampoo..my hair feels so good!!! I'm DCing right now with my bee mine deep conditioner and I can't believe how amazing my hair feels right now. I'm about 6 or 7 weeks post and my new growth is behaving right now. I'm going to be using cassia obovata as much as I can...can you tell that I love it?

My ends are starting to snip off at the touch! I've been very stressed at work. :(

Suggestions to reverse this? Or stop it entirely??

I'm trying to get into protective styles but it's been a challenge cuz I'm movin soon and trying to save money :(

green house

Rnjones, I have been relaxed with Design Essentials Regular (lye) and Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp (low lye). I wouldn't say you should be worried but I felt there was a texture difference. The low lye areas was wavier than the lye areas. They were also drier. HOWEVER, I was not chelating my hair back then so that's likely the reason for the dryness. Regarding texture differences, I had those even when relaxed with lye. It happens.

divachyk - I just got my hair relaxed with the DE low lye Shea butter relaxer. Do I need to chelate & if so how often would u recommend? Sorry it's been over 8 years since my last relaxer & it was full lye so I didn't have any issues.

we are waiting for this pics With pleasure :-)

coolsista-paris I'm going to post some soon.

Contrary to popular belief, you can use the same products on relaxed and natural hair. The only difference is protein usage in which you use more protein than natural, but not like you have to use everyday. My friend uses protein every 3-4 months and she is natural where I use protein every couple months. I find myself using mostly natural and handmade products with no problem though.

You shouldn't have a problem, just have a good regimen.

Saludable84 I sure hope your theory about natural products is right. I have some Bask DCs that I def don't wanna part with. On another note, when I was relaxed many moons ago, I only used protein on touch up day which was every 3-3.5 months. How will I know if I need it this time?

nakialovesshoes, :yay: congrats!! Saludable84 is right, natural products work for relaxed hair. Most of my prods are natural prods. I clarify & chelate the first wash that's done at home after my salon relaxer (usually a week after my relaxer). I then clarify & chelate once monthly thereafter.

divachyk - I just got my hair relaxed with the DE low lye Shea butter relaxer. Do I need to chelate & if so how often would u recommend? Sorry it's been over 8 years since my last relaxer & it was full lye so I didn't have any issues. coolsista-paris I'm going to post some soon. Saludable84 I sure hope your theory about natural products is right. I have some Bask DCs that I def don't wanna part with. On another note, when I was relaxed many moons ago, I only used protein on touch up day which was every 3-3.5 months. How will I know if I need it this time?

I hear the bask works good. The cacao didn't work for me the way I would have liked but I have heard it works. The majority of the products I used are natural products, some for natural today, and it they work pretty well.

You can use protein whenever you need it for that matter. That's what I've been doing.

do low maintenance styles like tight curls so all you have to do is get up and shake it out , add a little oil or moisturize as well and go. tight curls can last a week or more depending on how you maintain it and you don't have to comb it until its time to wash NGraceO
NGraceO One word: buns Two more words: spin pins

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies, but I'm in the most low-Maintanence style of all-Wigs. Lol.

So I guess there is no solution to my problem- I just needed to vent....and I have to just suck it up.

I hear you NGraceO

I bun pretty much everyday and I want less maintenance than that. I'm that hair lazy. Thought about wigs at the beginning of the year (even bought two), but changed my mind. I might revisit it this summer, but for now...good regi, boring style.

I love cassia!!!!!!!! Love it! Love it! Love it!!! I applied it to dry hair a watches tv for a couple of hours. Then I shampooed it out with Shea moisture retention shampoo..my hair feels so good!!! I'm DCing right now with my bee mine deep conditioner and I can't believe how amazing my hair feels right now. I'm about 6 or 7 weeks post and my new growth is behaving right now. I'm going to be using cassia obovata as much as I can...can you tell that I love it?

What do you mix your cassia mix with?

coolsista-paris

I owed you some pics. I attached pics of my seamless comb and my crown breakage.

My hair is MBL and my crown breakage is SL.

Attachments

• image-1949222010.jpg
    image-1949222010.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image-1104865031.jpg
    image-1104865031.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image-14907844.jpg
    image-14907844.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 48
Visited my stylist yesterday to schedule my appointment for my next relaxer. Now i know my hair needs a lil work but some of the things she told me, you know i had to come check the LHCF experts first. First think she mentioned that had me questioning is that Vinegar is a hair treatment so i cannot strip my hair and then do the Aphogee 2 step treatment. Now i sometimes mix my shampoo with a little vinegar to remove all the build up but i was thinking i could cleanse my hair thoroughly(adding vinegar to my shampoo) then do the 2 step treatment so that the treatment can deeply penetrate my strands. My relaxer is in 2 weeks so i need to do this treatment asap.

Oh my hair ends are severely dry, I OD on heat last year while doing a DE strengthening treatment with the spray version of the treatment so my ends need work.

Secondly she said that IC Fantasia leave in treatment in the brown bottle should only be used once every 2 weeks and that it will mess up my hair. (i don't know about that)

Thirdly she said using CON nourishing conditioner after the Aphogee treatment is too much for my hair and will dry my hair out. When i asked her how will it damage my hair she said "i dont know how but i know its not good for your hair and will dry out your hair".

She said she will give me a protein and moisture treatment in 1 after my relaxer, when i asked her what she will be using to do that, she said "she cannot tell me what she'll be using but its good for my hair and no matter what she will never tell me". I told her NO THANK YOU i will take my own treatment because i need to know what is going into my hair and the only way i can do so is to take my own product.

There is more, but all this is wearing me out to type. So ladies and those who i didn't mention. What is your take on this? lilmam1011 divachyk sunnieb Saludable84 Christa438 pre_medicalrulz

I am now using the raw Aloe Vera gel plant on my ends several times daily for the last few days. It has been an angel to my ends. I really love how moisturized and healthy they look. It also make my curls pop. Thank goodness i have A LOT of this in my back yard.

PureSilver, is she the only stylist available in your area? I suggest you locate a different stylist. Some stylists are secretive about what products they use which is crazy but I've seen it happened on many occasions. Therefore, that part doesn't surprise me much although it concerns me that she wouldn't even give you a general idea. Most stylists that I've gone to that's been secretive have at least given me some general idea of what they are using. They didn't flat out say, not telling you. That's rude and unprofessional.

The harsh effects of using vinegar and protein doesn't make sense to me. I'm not of a scientific / chemist mind so perhaps there's a reaction that could happen but I've never heard of one.

Does your hair like the Fantasia leave in? Is it a protein leave in? Was she trying to suggest it would dry and break the hair off?

CON nourishing should be fine BUT CON nourishing adds buildup to some hair so yes, it could lead to dryness.

In summary, I suggest finding another stylist if possible.

Last edited:
divachyk, thank you. For the most part, this will be my first time using it since relaxing. I used it as a natural and my hair liked it, but you know how it goes relaxed vs natural hair responds differently to products. I will research to see if IC Fantasia is a protein treatment.

With regards to the CON nourishing conditioner, i only plant to use this once weekly whaen i wash. I just wanted to combine it with the Aphogee balancing moisturizer to get my hair as moisturized as possible after the hard protein treatmen

Visited my stylist yesterday to schedule my appointment for my next relaxer. Now i know my hair needs a lil work but some of the things she told me, you know i had to come check the LHCF experts first. First think she mentioned that had me questioning is that Vinegar is a hair treatment so i cannot strip my hair and then do the Aphogee 2 step treatment. Now i sometimes mix my shampoo with a little vinegar to remove all the build up but i was thinking i could cleanse my hair thoroughly(adding vinegar to my shampoo) then do the 2 step treatment so that the treatment can deeply penetrate my strands. My relaxer is in 2 weeks so i need to do this treatment asap.

Oh my hair ends are severely dry, I OD on heat last year while doing a DE strengthening treatment with the spray version of the treatment so my ends need work.

Secondly she said that IC Fantasia leave in treatment in the brown bottle should only be used once every 2 weeks and that it will mess up my hair. (i don't know about that)

Thirdly she said using CON nourishing conditioner after the Aphogee treatment is too much for my hair and will dry my hair out. When i asked her how will it damage my hair she said "i dont know how but i know its not good for your hair and will dry out your hair".

She said she will give me a protein and moisture treatment in 1 after my relaxer, when i asked her what she will be using to do that, she said "she cannot tell me what she'll be using but its good for my hair and no matter what she will never tell me". I told her NO THANK YOU i will take my own treatment because i need to know what is going into my hair and the only way i can do so is to take my own product.

There is more, but all this is wearing me out to type. So ladies and those who i didn't mention. What is your take on this? lilmam1011 divachyk sunnieb Saludable84 Christa438 pre_medicalrulz

The Con nourishing conditioner i definitely agree that won't be a good idea because they are both protein based and will dry or break the hair. and like she Said ^ some stylists are secretive to what they put in your hair because they don't want you going out buying it and not coming to them for these treatments and giving your money to them but if you don't feel right not knowing or don't want to go to her strictly for it i wouldn't go. vinegar I'm assuming is acv right. some say its a treatment because it balances the hair, imparts shine and makes it smooth but it doesn't do anything to my hair but clean it. i hear some ladies use this to clarify before doing protein treatments. if you have been doing this for your hair and it works continue to do it. i only clarify once a month and it just so happens moisture always falls on that day so i don't clarify before doing protein. i know nothing about fantasia leave in sorry. i usually do the protein treatment before relaxing while some do it after relaxing but i follow up with moisture after relaxing as well as clarify and neutralize with ors aloe shampoo after relaxing because i use no lye so i get rid of the deposits it leaves. if you had a bad feeling about her don't do it. you have to be comfortable because we don't want no i should've moments with setbacks PureSilver

Lilmama1011 thank you. I will hold off on the CON nourishing conditioner. I think i'll try the leave in after relaxing but i definitely want to clarify before the Aphogee treatment. I just think with clean strands and scalp the treatment will penetrate better.

I have already decided that i will take my own treatment based on how i see my hair responding to the Aphogee which i will hopefully do tomorrow.

PureSilver

Why not just clarify then do a treatment? If your gonna do the aphogee. I get the vinegar and it's use but depending on the hair type, it could just close the hair more. I know for me it closes my hair more. If it work for you do for it, but I don't see why not just clarify before the protein treatment.

I have never used the CON, but I can only see it causing build-up. Try using something more moisturizing.

Bring your own treatment afterward as well, but if you are going to do a hard treatment now, not sure I would suggest taking something more than medium to the salon. Even light will be good enough. And I don't particularly agree with mystery products so if you go to her, stick with your guns. Depending on how straight you go (or don't go) you might not even need all that afterwards.

The IC is a good leave-in but what do you already use? If I tried to is it now, it would be too much. Don't get too protein happy, it might do more harm than good. It might be good for the ends, but you don't only care for the ends of your hair. Saying that in general, not to you.

Saludable84 I realize that my hair loves protein both as a natural and relaxed. Yes i will take a light protein to the salon, any suggestions please? Also i do go for bone straight and hoping to get a corrective done on my right side because its too curly and lopsided for my liking. what do you suggest for clarifying? I haven't used it IC yet but i will after i relax.

Lilmama1011 the CON Nourishing Conditioner on the bottle says it conditions and moisturizes, restores shine and body and provides heat protection. Its the old white and purple bottle one.

PureSilver, somehow I thought you were using the new CON argan so yeah, I'm with Lilmama1011...may be too much protein. Many like Aphogee 2 minute. I like AO GPB or Ion Effective Care (red label) from Sally's. ETA: I use whatever protein my stylist has on hand that day. I don't take my products with me to the salon. How do you know your hair won't like the 2 n 1 she uses? It always try their products first and then make moves from there. I don't just walk up in there with products in hand demanding use. While nothing is wrong with that, I just am trusting until given a reason not to. Are you certain she will use your products?

Last edited:
Urgent question!

Is it a bad idea to relax my hair the same day I wash and condition (protein conditioner - Joico) it??

I had planned to relax this weekend but I have a couple events to attend so I just want to relax because I am 4 months post and my ng is crazy.

Would washing and relaxing in one day be too much manipulation? I feel like I read somewhere that it's best to wait a few days after washing to relax.

Back