Relaxed Hair Thread

divachyk

I don't mind a little texture, it's just the last relaxer really didn't take at all. I'm gonna chalk it up to a "bad batch" but with that inconsistency with linange, I will not be revisiting that line. I am also looking for something I can get on the ground. I'm gonna see if my local bss has design essentials.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Rnjones, when I was looking at self relaxing, topnotch1010 (a board certified stylist) recommended Mizani IIRC. Maybe she can swing in and give you a few tips.

Supergirl Nix08, what relaxer are you using these days?

I'm paging a number of ppl for you so you can get a good idea of what's being used. I'm no help since I'm salon relaxed.

The mizani is good. I stopped using it because I wanted more texture actually. I used the lye and it can straighten if you want it to.

The mizani is good. I stopped using it because I wanted more texture actually. I used the lye and it can straighten if you want it to.

I love Mizani butter blend for sensitive scalp. It is the only relaxer that's consistent and I dont have to switch up. I think some just have a lot of build up and that's why it doesn't take, or need someone else to help them. Me and my SO do my relaxer together, so it has time to sit for the 20 minutes. It relaxes it straight but not bone straight thin hair which I hate.

My hair is going through something..it's definitely time for an extended chemical break. I need to get this breakage and shedding under control ASAP

I don't know if I've ever felt this way, but I feel like my hair isn't growing. Or at least not at it's usual rate.
I plan on touching it up and trimming around the end of next month, but maybe I'll wait a little longer.
I definitely need to cut the kitchen asap tho. It looks a hot mess back there.

Does relaxing make color not 'take'?

I put darkest brown on my hair a couple weeks after perming, to bring the light colored top darker to match the rest of my hair.... and it's practically all gone now. It's light lookin again. WTF?

About a week post, can't wait to wash and then trim. I'm trimming on the 20th since it's the spring solstice :grin: This one uneven part is annoying me! I'll be wigging it as the weather gets warmer, I've found 2 that look really cute.

Whimsy The only color I've used is semi permanent and that never lasts too long. Even henna didn't last very long for me.

halfindian where do those lines hit? I can't read.
In the top pic it looks like you're at the bottom line!
Are you pulling your hair straight? I think you're closer than it appears on the bottom pic.

Lilmama1011 I just checked my local bss and they have the mizani butter blends sensitive scalp. Do u have to mix this relaxer or does sensitive scalp = no lye? Also do u just use the relaxer or do u use all the items in the system? Is it safe to go back to no lye from lye? I also need to correct some areas from the previous relaxer. I saw on another site that u should not overlap lye with no lye. I know, mad questions. Everyone feel free to chime in. I've never been scared to relax my hair and now I'm over here nervous as he**

Last edited:
Lilmama1011 I just checked my local bss and they have the mizani butter blends sensitive scalp. Do u have to mix this relaxer or does sensitive scalp = no lye? Also do u just use the relaxer or do u use all the items in the system? Is it safe to go back to no lye from lye? I also need to correct some areas from the previous relaxer. I saw on another site that u should not overlap lye with no lye. I know, mad questions. Everyone feel free to chime in. I've never been scared to relax my hair and now I'm over here nervous as he**

Rnjones it's no lye and you have to mix it. i only use the relaxer not the whole system. i have heard its not safe to go from lye to no lye as well but in the past i have done it with no problems.

Hi @nakialovesshoes. I was thinking about doing the same when I got to a certain length, but this time self relaxing since I don't live near my old stylist. What made you decide?

jbwphoto1 - I don't even know where to begin. This is my 2nd time natural. My hair seems to thrive with chemicals but not so much natural. The longer it gets, the more it wants to loc, tangle, spiderweb, you name it. :nono:

I find staples & then they turn on me. Life was soooo much easier when I was relaxed. Plus my hair was longer & healthier. And long, healthy hair has always been my goal. So I'm going back to my roots!

@jbwphoto1 - I don't even know where to begin. This is my 2nd time natural. My hair seems to thrive with chemicals but not so much natural. The longer it gets, the more it wants to loc, tangle, spiderweb, you name it. :nono:

I find staples & then they turn on me. Life was soooo much easier when I was relaxed. Plus my hair was longer & healthier. And long, healthy hair has always been my goal. So I'm going back to my roots!

nakialovesshoes, not long ago, I did blog post about how I never had a bad hair day when I was relaxed the first time. This was after 15 plus years with the same stylist. The problems didn't come until the stylist who handled my natural hair started with relaxers and then a first ever black rinse.

I was thinking of self-relaxing when I got to a certain length, but now I think going once every 12 weeks or so to my old stylist and spending half a day with her would be the thing to do. I'm sure we could incorporate some of the natural products I'm currently using along with my steamer after about week 6 of new growth.

Best to you. Will be waiting for updates. :yep:

Just bought cassia obovata for my first henna experience. I didn't want color so that's why I chose Cassia instead of traditional henna. Can't wait until it gets here so I can try it out

nakialovesshoes, not long ago, I did blog post about how I never had a bad hair day when I was relaxed the first time. This was after 15 plus years with the same stylist. The problems didn't come until the stylist who handled my natural hair started with relaxers and then a first ever black rinse. I was thinking of self-relaxing when I got to a certain length, but now I think going once every 12 weeks or so to my old stylist and spending half a day with her would be the thing to do. I'm sure we could incorporate some of the natural products I'm currently using along with my steamer after about week 6 of new growth. Best to you. Will be waiting for updates. :yep:

Contrary to popular belief, you can use the same products on relaxed and natural hair. The only difference is protein usage in which you use more protein than natural, but not like you have to use everyday. My friend uses protein every 3-4 months and she is natural where I use protein every couple months. I find myself using mostly natural and handmade products with no problem though.

You shouldn't have a problem, just have a good regimen.

@coolsista-paris, product packaging says it: Perfect to use anytime Removes calcium build-up Gently cleans and neutralizes Restores moisture In my opinion, it chelates (removes calcium), clarifies (cleans) and neutralizes. @bebezazueta do you agree?

Then if it does all 3 this is perfect ! it does clean my hair well, without stripping it and making ir all rough.

I really like it. As is says it nutralizes, i will use this for my next relaxer which is also ors product.

Has anyone used the linange neutralizing conditioner with other relaxers? Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Yes ma'am. It's the BEST!!!!! Don't do a mid protein step with it though.

I might go back to that as I like it better that using a shampoo though Motions NS is the only shampoo that I actually like after a relaxer.

Back