Relaxed Hair Thread

Mahsiah Don't go by the amount of time, go by the amount of new growth. Those time constraints are for normal growth, but if you're using MN then you have more new growth than normal. If you find that it's more than you usually deal with, go ahead and relax sooner rather than later.

I relaxed on August 4th but I have so much new growth now. From using monistat (I didn't think it would work). What should I do? I'll be 4 weeks post next week. Should I wait a couple of more weeks?

I'd wait at least 2 weeks, but since mn increases growth rates, it also increases shed rate so it might be better to wait for most of the shedding to stop before you relax.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

Mahsiah Don't go by the amount of time, go by the amount of new growth. Those time constraints are for normal growth, but if you're using MN then you have more new growth than normal. If you find that it's more than you usually deal with, go ahead and relax sooner rather than later.

I'm going to have to disagree. b.c no matter how careful you are you're going to have some amount of overlap, getting relaxer on already relaxed hair by the roots. even if you have more new growth (maybe an inch more) than usual i dont think its good to expose the rest of your hair to a relaxer that often. I dont know from experience but thats just how i think of it :/

I'm going to have to disagree. b.c no matter how careful you are you're going to have some amount of overlap, getting relaxer on already relaxed hair by the roots. even if you have more new growth (maybe an inch more) than usual i dont think its good to expose the rest of your hair to a relaxer that often. I dont know from experience but thats just how i think of it :/
This is true, but properly coating the previously-relaxed hair will minimize that issue. Plus, for a self-relaxer, dealing with more new growth than you're used to can do more harm than good. Look at how many people decide to start stretching their relaxer out of the blue and then find out they can't handle all the extra new growth (I did that two years ago. Never again. :nono:). I don't know if she's a self-relaxer, but that's the assumption that my reply was based on.

I do agree with you that the longer you wait, the better, but it needs to be eased into, which is why this time I think not waiting would be better than waiting.

i gotta agree that stretches with tons of new growth can be a beast to part and manage. so i dunno. :/ choose ur poison and tell us how it turns out, lol.

I relaxed on August 4th but I have so much new growth now. From using monistat (I didn't think it would work). What should I do? I'll be 4 weeks post next week. Should I wait a couple of more weeks?

That's tricky. Did you get double the typical growth? If so, I would say relax at half the time you normally would so you have the same amount of new growth as what is typical. But if you just saw somewhat of a spurt in growth, but not double the growth, wait for 2 more weeks so your scalp can remain healthy. Hope that makes sense.

I stretch until my hair can't take it anymore.

Stretching to long past 12 weeks hasn't worked out for me.

Maybe as my hair gets longer.

How long does it take your hair to dry if its pinned up & under the scarf like that?
24 hrs before i take it off. I think the part in the roller takes the longest (the ends) the other of course dries faster could be quicker though . But i do it on a little bit wetter than damp, damp would be much quicker

24 hrs before i take it off. I think the part in the roller takes the longest (the ends) the other of course dries faster could be quicker though . But i do it on a little bit wetter than damp, damp would be much quicker

Oooo I dont have 24 hours lol
I currently air dry loose & its dry in an hour. But im trying to avoid the puffiness & need other air drying ideas.

Oooo I dont have 24 hours lol
I currently air dry loose & its dry in an hour. But im trying to avoid the puffiness & need other air drying ideas.

Well lightly mist hair, put flexi rods after it dries and put scarf on for twenty minutes. Dries smoothly and you have a curl at the end

Last edited:
I need to stop putting heavy oils on my scalp..it just isn't working for me

I use to oil my scalp every day with coconut oil, now when stuff is deliberately put on my scalp for more than a hour it itched like crazy and I started not to like coconut oil anymore because it gave me a slight crunchiness. It's funny how to switched up. But assuming you mean it makes your hair limp?... mschristine

I use to oil my scalp every day with coconut oil, now when stuff is deliberately put on my scalp for more than a hour it itched like crazy and I started not to like coconut oil anymore because it gave me a slight crunchiness. It's funny how to switched up. But assuming you mean it makes your hair limp?... mschristine

Not only that..I don't think it's benefiting my hair at all and I have seen an increase in shedding since I started oiling my scalp with castor oil. I think that I'm going to stick with jojoba oil once or twice a week and slip some castor oil in my DCs

Dusted my ends some more last night before I wrapped my hair. I really need to use up all these conditioners in my stash. I'm going to be cowashing a lot these next couple of months just to get rid of everything. After I'm done with these random conditioners, I'm going back to V05 moisture milks passion smoothie for cowashing. It's cheap and always got the job done!

I want to do box braids for the rest of the year. Somebody stop me!!!! Its going to wreck havoc on my ends!! Sigh....I just know it. Smh

pre_medicalrulz
Brazilian hair straightening treatments (also called Breezilian Brazilian Keratin Treatment, BKT, Brazilian Blowout, Escova Progressiva, Keratin Cure or Keratin Straightening) are a method of temporarily straightening hair by sealing a liquid keratin and a preservative solution into the hair with a hair iron in the United States

What is BKT treatments?

Back