Relaxed Hair Thread

How many box of relaxers do you ladies use during one process? I use 2 boxes completely and Im always running out of applying time. Do you ladies have time to apply, sit & wait for your process time to run out?

pre_medicalrulz, I also do the half & half method. For the front half of my hair I leave on for about 10-15min. For the back half of my hair I leave on for about 20 mins. I use about half a jar of relaxer each time. The linange texturizer gives me more product than any other relaxer kits. When I used to go to the salon, my hair dresser used Mizani BB & she was always running out.

Can someone help me understand the half and half method please? I just can't wrap my mind around how you keep the chem free side from getting wet at rinse out of the chem side. I THINK you would baggy the chem free side, but still how do you keep water from getting on the chem free side and have dry roots and scalp for the second side? Are you rinsing in the shower or in the sink? This may be a dumb question but I can't imagine it. I always rush through the last section because I am just not quick enough to do the whole head with smoothing it all it 15 mins, so the half and half method could work for me if I could get the details in order...

Can someone help me understand the half and half method please? I just can't wrap my mind around how you keep the chem free side from getting wet at rinse out of the chem side. I THINK you would baggy the chem free side, but still how do you keep water from getting on the chem free side and have dry roots and scalp for the second side? Are you rinsing in the shower or in the sink? This may be a dumb question but I can't imagine it. I always rush through the last section because I am just not quick enough to do the whole head with smoothing it all it 15 mins, so the half and half method could work for me if I could get the details in order...

Jobwright, I do the half & half method based off of utuber and fellow lhcf member jenichris23 (utube name). I do the front half 1st. After I rinse out the relaxer, do the mid-step protein, neutralize condition & neutralize shampoo once and then rinse. I leave the neutralizer shampoo on the front of my hair & then place a shower cap on the front. Once that's done, I start working on the back of my hair while the neutralizing shampoo is on the front of my hair. After I complete the back & I'm on the last step, which is the neutralizing shampoo, I take off the shower cap on the front of my hair & begin to shampoo both sections together.

For the front of my hair, I rinse the relaxer, protein etc... in my kitchen sink. For the back of my hair I rinse in the shower & then eventually both sections are rinse in the shower.

The half & half method is alittle more work, but I get the results that I want b/c I'm not rushing & I can apply as much time as I need for each section. For example, the back of my hair has a tighter curl so I leave the relaxer on for 20min, whereas the front of my hair is move wavy than curly so I leave the relaxer on for about 10-15mins.

I did it twice, it never worked for me , the other side ended up wet regardless of putting plastic cap on it

Jobwright
lilmama
Do you use the sprayer in the kitchen sink to rinse the front or just the faucet. The sprayer is a lot more precise. I don't have enough hair to justify using 1/2 and 1/2 but it seems to be good for really thick hair.

Jobwright
lilmama
Do you use the sprayer in the kitchen sink to rinse the front or just the faucet. The sprayer is a lot more precise. I don't have enough hair to justify using 1/2 and 1/2 but it seems to be good for really thick hair.

I didnt once and did once and both was a fail so i just put oil all over my previously relaxed hair and new growth in case relaxer gets on previously relaxed hair and won't process newgrowth too quickly so i won't feel to rushed

When I do it, because I don't have a hose for the kitchen sink, I do the left half, then right half. Or better yet, a vertical method. The horizontal method would be to messy for me, but I'm sure it could work. I rinse both times in the shower. I put two plastic caps on one side and just relax the other side. Once I get to the second side, there may be a chance I might get relaxer on the previous side, so I just make sure I neutralize any exposed parts again.

For me it just reduces processing time on each side. I always wind up with an over processed side because I leave it on too long.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

@ lilmama1011

this is how I learned the 1/2 &1/2 method which has saved me from over processing and has made the application easier due to the pre-twisting. Each link are a gold mine.

the videos are the last 2 links**great tutorial** thanks Jeni :drunk:

http://www.justgrowalready.com/2012/03/relaxer-touch-up.html

http://www.justgrowalready.com/2013/06/relaxer-touch-up.html

http://www.justgrowalready.com/2011/09/video-how-i-self-relax-my-hair-half.html

http://www.justgrowalready.com/2013/06/how-i-rinse-out-relaxers.html

Last edited:
pelohello
lilmama101
mshoneyfly
Saludable84
MizzBFly

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!! If anyone could help me with just one more question (maybe)... Should I do an Aphogee 2 minute today and DC and do a mid step Aphogee 2 minute on relaxer day Friday or just wait and do it mid step when I relax on Friday? I really wanna get this right so I don't have any set backs...pray for me please...

I've done a protein treatment a week before a relaxer before. I don't see the harm. If your length is coated when rinsing the relaxer, it shouldn't harm the length. You do so much clarifying,neutralizing that I feel it removes all the goodness anyway. But I've done it before without a problem. If its just the 2 minute and not the 2 step, you should be fine.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

How many box of relaxers do you ladies use during one process? I use 2 boxes completely and Im always running out of applying time. Do you ladies have time to apply, sit & wait for your process time to run out?

I use one box.... generally 8 - 10 weeks post... Never run of time cos I pre part my hair.... I can apply, and smooth my whole head in 20 minutes... I always wash as soon as I'm done smoothing regardless of time...

pelohello
lilmama101
mshoneyfly
Saludable84
MizzBFly

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!! If anyone could help me with just one more question (maybe)... Should I do an Aphogee 2 minute today and DC and do a mid step Aphogee 2 minute on relaxer day Friday or just wait and do it mid step when I relax on Friday? I really wanna get this right so I don't have any set backs...pray for me please...

Jobwright
I would have to ask, how long ago did you do your last few protein treatments? Do you use the 2 min on a regular basis? Does the 2min have keratin in it? Im not at home to look at ingredients but thats the protein you really want to replenish after applying relaxer. If you feel your hair needs it then by all means go right ahead.

mshoneyfly

I personally would do a medium or high protein treatment a week prior and the mid-protein treatment but that is based on the fact the hair hair NOW responds well to protein.
In the begining of my journey it was needed because it never had protein and my hair responded by being stiff.

Now that my hair is longer protein makes my hair soft...who knew- but that is me.

I want a relaxer so bad. It would make my life so much easier to deal with. I may relax when I get to waist length.

Last edited:
I hate to admit this but since there aren't many versatile relaxed heads on youtube, I have to go creep around to see how white women do certain styles and see what the results turn out like :nono:
Since relaxed hair is chemically straightened, and most of their hair is natural straight..it works..

I hate to admit this but since there aren't many versatile relaxed heads on youtube, I have to go creep around to see how white women do certain styles and see what the results turn out like :nono:
Since relaxed hair is chemically straightened, and most of their hair is natural straight..it works..

I like Lilith moon, she does some awesome style even though she uses extensions some time but she does some great protective styles and her hair really is shoulder length, I have most of her videos in my favorites Mahsiah

Last edited:
I really can't wait to take out these twists, so I can relax my hair again the first week of September. I've never been so eager to take them out. I guess I'm getting bored with the style now.

Been wearing my hair out everyday since my relaxer. M&S every night is so necessary for me right now. Cant wait to learn how to flat twist or even braid.

I have to relax Saturday. My hair won't even hold my rollerset curls.

I'm excited because I just cut off the last of the dead ends :-). And I only rollerset so I rarrely need to trim if I'm taking care of my hair.

I'm excited because I just cut off the last of the dead ends :-). And I only rollerset so I rarrely need to trim if I'm taking care of my hair.

Likewise. Rollersets saves lives lol

Been wearing my hair out everyday since my relaxer. M&S every night is so necessary for me right now. Cant wait to learn how to flat twist or even braid.

Good!!! This is what I want to hear! :yep:

I like Lilith moon, he does some awesome style even though she uses extensions some time but she does some great protective styles and her hair really is shoulder length, I have most of her videos in my favorites Mahsiah

I have a channel, but it takes so much to edit. Maybe I should get back on it. Clearly, Im not the only relaxed girl feeling left out.

I still have half my hair to detangle from all the matting due to me washing all last week (and not detangling my roots <--- i know bad idea)

I should be relaxing this saturday (19 weeks) and it will be heavenly to be able to detangle in minutes.

What products do you use for your rollersets to keep the curls from falling & getting puffy throughout the day?

What products do you use for your rollersets to keep the curls from falling & getting puffy throughout the day?

I use miss jessies pillow curls. I thought miss jessies products were for naturals. Wrong! Girl my rollerset shines. I use a quarter size per section then after I finish rolling my whole head I spray my hair with a coconut oil/shine spray mix.

I put a half bottle of aussies hair insurane into my water bottle.
But you also could use any product that is specifically for curls.

Im in the salon. *deep breaths* I just finished washing, now deep conditioning. So far so good. When she combed she had a wide tooth comb & so gentle from tip to roots. Nice.... on to phase 2.

Whoa! Now under the dryer in rollers! Dang! How on earth she was able to detangle my hair in seconds is beyond me!!! I told her I could neeeeeever do that with my hair. Like EVER. She told me to stop using Nexxus products because it strips my hair to clean that's causing the constant tangles after a wash. So now im going to change my product line to Keracare Humectin. My appt was at 1030. I got here at 930 & im already under the dryer w/ my rollers by 11am. Never in my whole life I would think she could handle all this hair that quickly & still be gentle with my hair. I love this woman.

Back