Relaxed Hair Thread

Hey yall! I'm new here (but been lurking for a while). I posted on another thread about my shedding issue. I've been reading through some of the old posts on this thread and saw some recommend a touchup to help with shedding. It's been 16 weeks since my last relaxer. However, I've been shedding off and on (mostly on) since about a week after the relaxer. The stylist used Affirm and it was my first time using that and my first incidence with all this shedding. Do yall think getting a touchup--not Affirm--might help? I have quite a bit of new growth. Or should I wait? If so, until when? The shedding doesn't seem to be stopping. It's been happening since early May.
MsCarmenP I definitely recommend you relax, but if your shedding has been happening since May at one week post-relaxer, I don't think the relaxer is causing your problem.

I recommend you relax... @ 9 weeks my hair starts shedding crazy and I have to relax.... I think sometimes it depends on how kinky your NG is.

JudithO Thanks. I don't think the NG has anything to do with it because the shedding started before I had a chance to grow some.

@MsCarmenP I definitely recommend you relax, but if your shedding has been happening since May at one week post-relaxer, I don't think the relaxer is causing your problem.

NaiyaAi Yeah, I'm thinking it might be because I've been stressed and have drastically changed my eating and workout habits (not for the better :sad:) I'm going to get blood work checked later this week since I've always had problems with low iron and anemia.

@MsCarmenP
When I used to go to a stylist, she used Affirm (I think it was lye) on me and DD. We had the worst big dry flakes, shedding AND breakage. It continued for a long time until I switched to self relaxing with ORS no lye. I have been self relaxing on and off for over 20 years and no lye is better for me.

I recently had a lot of shedding and coconut milk and AVG rinse under my DC worked instantly to stop the shedding. 16 weeks sounds like a good long stretch. The longest I have gone is 14 weeks. How long are you trying to stretch??

Now I use JFM texturizer by soft & beautiful. I love it. DD is transitioning

mshoneyfly I'm so glad to hear this. Well, not that you had a bad experience and hair loss, but that I'm not the only one whose experienced this with Affirm. All I hear from people is how good Affirm is. But it made my hair feel like...I guess I'll say silk straw, and I've been shedding since. I'm going back to self-relaxing with ORS too. I'm going to do the coconut milk and AVG rinse tonight and then do my touchup this weekend. For the coconut/AVG, do I just mix a little of the coconut milk and a glob of the AVG together and put it on my hair and then my conditioner? Or should I mix a certain amount? Or just put on the milk then AVG then conditioner? I wasn't trying to stretch this long lol. I intended to stretch to about 8-9 weeks but the shedding was going on so I didn't want to cause more problems. I went back to the stylist at about 12 weeks and she told me to give it a couple of weeks before I do the retouch since I'm shedding.

navila

I understand. I was the same way about ORS, the stuff is garbage on my hair. My hair felt like straw and my scalp had burns...:nono:.

ORS just did nothing for me. I love Mizani but everyone seems to hate it. Idk why, I've never had a problem.

navila,
What was the problem. I want to try it for my next relaxer.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

Saludable84 - Linange did not relax my hair bone straight, which I thought I was going to love but my hair is screaming for a perm now, 1 month and half post. I usually relax at 12 weeks, but I'm gonna have to do it at 8 weeks this time around.

I use.. And LOVE the optimum relaxer in the red box... Te salon collections one that says 9 times less breakage... I don't know anyone that has tried that relaxer and hated it... Not one.... Never switching for anything... Gets my fine hair straight while leaving just enough texture in the hair...

I'm LOVE this relaxer! I was thinking about changing but there is really no need

@outspokenwallflower @Nix08

Yep! I love Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp! Even when I stretch for 20 weeks, my ng is straight and my hair soft and bouncy. :grin:
IMG01404-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I'm LOVE this relaxer! I was thinking about changing but there is really no need

Girl I will NEVER change relaxers... I spent all this money on the full line of mizani butter blends... Syntonics... And they jacked up my hair.... I tried this on a whim and have never looked back... Used it for a yr now... Results are perfectly consistent, never burned, gets my hair straight but leaves the right amount of texture for strength.. Hair is soft and so strong... I have pure love for it...

MsCarmenP
Sorry Im just getting back to you, I just got home. I used the whole can of coconut milk and put it in a bottle. I added about a 2 tablespoons of AVG and used it like a rinse. I just slowly poured it over my head; mostly at the roots. I massaged it into my scalp while holding my head over the tub. Then I added my DC. I think I used my pink clay mix. The DC helped to suck up the drips from the milk rinse. Then I put on a plastic cap and a scull cap to let it penetrate

mshoneyfly Thanks for the instructions. I ended up getting the wrong AVG. This junk I bought has alcohol in it! So I'll have to pick up the right one tomorrow.

Okay, I wish you lots of luck. I have Lily of the Desert brand but as long as its pure AV it should be fine. Please keep us posted on you results.

sunnieb thanks!!! I found a supplier in Canada! I'm so excited:yay: Do you actually have a sensitive scalp? Also do you use both containers per touch up?
divachyk I know you don't use the sensitive scalp, do you find it harsh?

Nix08 For my hair type (thick, coarse) I use 2 tubs per the instructions. Especially stretching for so long. I don't have a sensitive scalp, I just love how this relaxer gets my hair so straight.

I remember my stylist only used 1 tub but would leave it on longer than the recommended time. :ohwell:

Becoming a self-relaxer allowed me to read the instructions for myself and do what the manufacturertells you to do.

Nix08, I have been salon relaxed with sensitive scalp & regular. I like that I had next to no burning with the sensitive scalp but it was under processing my hair when a lot of new growth was present. I don't recall how many tubs was used but know she left it on longer than recommended and I was still under processed. Regular is stronger and consistently works regardless of the new growth. It was irritating my scalp at first but I now base myself before my arriving to the salon for my TU and haven't had issues since. I consider my hair thick/coarse.

MsCarmenP, hope all is well with your help. I get shedding at one week post if I don't combat it ahead of time with Alter Ego Garlic or tea rinsing.

Hi everyone! I've always wanted to post here, but didn't want to pay that fine. :look:

So I finally did, and I'm glad. I've been lurking this thread all year, and come here for relaxed hair tips and look at pretty relaxed hair. :yep:

I relaxed my hair on August 4th and this is what it looks like so far. I suffered a minor setback weeks prior and my ends were thinner as a result.
img_09881j0b5j.jpg

I'm also happy I finally be able to see those attachments non subscribers can't see. :look:

:lachen:

Hi everyone! I've always wanted to post here, but didn't want to pay that fine. :look:

So I finally did, and I'm glad. I've been lurking this thread all year, and come here for relaxed hair tips and look at pretty relaxed hair. :yep:

I relaxed my hair on August 4th and this is what it looks like so far. I suffered a minor setback weeks prior and my ends were thinner as a result.

I'm also happy I finally be able to see those attachments non subscribers can't see. :look:

:lachen:

Nice hair lovey! And welcome to the board!

Nice hair lovey! And welcome to the board!
Thank you! ;)
You may as well go on and tell us your regimen lol Messiah

My regimen is pretty boring. :look:. Before my setback I would cowash every 2 days and deep condition every other wash, so two times a week. I love deep conditioning. :look: After I cowashed I just moisturized and sealed and braided my hair, the way you would a braidout. I would rock a braidout until my next relaxer date. I only relax my hair every 8 weeks. I can't stretch longer than that. I start suffering breakage and major shedding.

Since my setback, I only cowash once a week now, to stop manipulating my hair. I wear a two braided protective style now. Every 2/3 days I take the braids down, remoisturize and seal, then rebraid it.

The "growth aids" I use are jbco oil, the ghe method and I take vitamins. I also massage my scalp if I can remember.

Oh and don't mind me using this smiley too much. I've always wanted to, now I can. :look:

Edit: After I get my relaxer, I rollerset my hair and wrap it. I wear that style for one week. After that, I wash my hair then I start wearing braidouts. I also don't use heat.

Last edited:
Any of you girls using/used the Buirts Bees Avocado butter pre-poo? Reviews?

Ive used it. I didn't like it when used as directed. Its better on dry hair. I used the Silk Dreams version, which is cheaper. I found both to be ok, but I can't prepoo, it just doesn't agree with my hair.

mshoneyfly Thank you so so much! I did the coconut milk and AVG deep condition and it did wonders! At least I think so. When I detangled afterwards, I didn't get nearly as much shedding as I have been. I moisturized, sealed and wrapped my hair, so I'll see how it does tomorrow. When I poured it on, my hair just melted like butter, even the NG. I'm gonna post a pic of the hair that shed as I was detangling. I think this would be considered normal, right? I've never really paid much attention before.

Also, I was thinking and I realize the times I stopped shedding (remember I said it's been off and on) is the weeks when I only co-washed my hair and didn't shampoo. I'm thinking my hair might not like the ORS sulfate-free shampoo, which I started using a week after the relaxer. I've been using the regular creamy aloe one for years with no problem. If this treatment I did tonight slows down the shedding, I'm gonna stop using the sulfate-free shampoo and see how my hair does.

divachyk Thanks! I bought Alter Ego about a month ago and it did help with my shedding (though it would come back). I'll start using it as a preventative now.

Messiah Welcome! Your hair is beautiful! I'm new here too. Months ago when I saw there was a fee, I said I'll just lurk. I didn't even bother to see how much it cost. When I finally checked the price, I felt like kicking myself for not just paying it sooner. :lol:
ShedHair814_zps94f96205.jpg

MsCarmenP
Glad to hear you got noticeable results!! When your hair dries you should also see a diff in the amount of shedding. Yay!!

I didnt know ORS had a sulfate free poo

I didn't either. That's why I gave it a try when I saw it. It's called ORS HaiRepair Invigorating Shampoo. On the bottle it says it's free of sulfates.

Back