Rant: Sex and the city

I feel for the others. We’ll mostly the actress who plays Charlotte. SJP still being so thin makes her look bigger by comparison. The same goes for Cynthia Nixon but I don’t think she was ever as small and she still looks the same. Maybe a size larger. I don’t have an issue with them aging or gaining weight but as a woman I know how it feels being compared to your younger self and thinner friends.
This is why I was trying to be delicate with aging but I don't think they aged well even for ww. I think Sara Jessica Parker being so thin took away too much fat from her face and Kristin Davis (Charlotte) just put in too much filler.

I tried to avoid weight gain comments because who cares? that happens with age plus they were chilling out when Sara Jessica Parker probably got a light bulb moment, called the studio and then called them to tell them shooting is on and they start in like 4 months as soon as the writers can crank out a script. I don't see them crash dieting at that age. I could be wrong but that doesn't seem right to me. I don't think Sara Jessica Parker is crash dieting either. I think she's just eating super small portions, and/or soup / and/or juicing and/or doing interm. fasting.

For some reason I feel like the face stuff with SJP could be avoided though, possibly with another ten pounds but I don't see SJP doing that. I do not feel like she's naturally thin. I feel like she's naturally willed herself thin if that makes sense. Now when she was doing a lot of ballet and dancing and doing broadway sure. But now, no. I think she wants to keep the Carrie image and Idk if it's working for her here because it's wearing her face down. The word I'm thinking of is sinewy for her.

Last edited:
The lack of diversity on the show never bothered me at all. White women only hanging out with other white women? Why was everyone so up in arms about that? :lachen:

Granted, NYC was and is a million times more diverse than they ever showed on the show but this show focused on these 4 women and their lives. Diversity wasn’t a part of it, just like it isn’t for millions of other white people. So what.
I always felt this way. Could the show have had more people of color?....yes.
Would I have liked to see more POC?....yes.

But is their lack of diversity in their social circle so far off from what regular well off white women in manhattan have?...not it's not. And that's why I never got upset about it at all. A LOT of white women in manhattan do not have diverse friendships...no matter how colorful NYC is.

.....and whoa to Sara Jessica's aging. Lawd hammercy:drunk:

you know what's crazy....I honestly was expecting Cynthia Nixon to be a little hard to watch with her aging...but I see now that SJP and Kristin Davis got her beat. Cynthia just looks like an older version of herself which is kinda refreshing. SJP just looks like an older woman trying to capture her young self....and Kristin's fillers were not necessary AT ALL.

I don’t have a problem with the way Nicole looks. The hair style, dark polish, and fashion in the first pic seems appropriate for New York. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was an attorney like her character in Soul Food but that would be redundant with Miranda being an attorney. She’ll definitely have a powerful position just based on the income and lifestyle of the others. Nothing about her look suggests she’s going to be a SAHM like Charlotte.

I don’t care for the makeup in the second pic but, compared to the others, she looks like the glamorous friend.

No one can replace Samantha but the three by themselves would be kinda boring. Samantha brought an element of comedy and outrageousness. I don’t think they’d try to duplicate that in the same way because it would be impossible but another character as the funny or savvy woman about town would probably work once the comparisons die down.
I just think the look is too severe for Nicole. The hair color doesn't look good with her skin tone.. Either. It's too flat and severe (color). And vampy makeup can look good but again, that color doesn't work for her.

Either they have someone who doesn't know how to highlight anyone other than wp or they are purposely trying to downplay her next to the other women. Because Nicole, with good makeup, hair and clothes, standing next to them might put them to shame.
So they are overdoing the look. Nicole as a new comer isn't going to say anything. She's just happy to be there. If they make it another season she'll probably bring in her own person once she has a little more clout and say so (and I wouldn't blame her), for hair and makeup. I'd tell them they just don't know how to do black hair or makeup and the Producer would tap out. They would not want to start a war on that. But again not make a fuss until after the first season, if it goes well and everyone likes her character.

But now that I type this I realize that everyone looks severe. I think everyone (makeup artists, stylist etc) tried too hard.

As for clothes they don't have their original stylist, they have her recommendation stepping in. And that person just doesn't seem to have delivered so far.

That’s so cool. It looks like it’s only open to two people. I wonder why they didn’t just do a contest.

I think it is a contest. They were doing it for two 1- night stays.

Full article:
https://news.airbnb.com/sarah-jessica-parker-hosts-carrie-bradshaws-apartment-and-closet/

In celebration of the upcoming release of the HBO Max Original And Just Like That..., the highly-anticipated new chapter of Sex and the City, the award-winning actress and producer is opening the doors to Carrie Bradshaw’s New York City brownstone, in partnership with Airbnb and Warner Bros. Consumer Products.

Sarah Jessica Parker will host two, one-night stays for up to two guests each at a recreation of Carrie’s brownstone on November 12 and 13 for only $23* a night, in honor of the 23 years since we were first introduced to the fashion-forward icon and her friends.

To celebrate Carrie’s return to television screens, Airbnb will make a one-time donation to The Studio Museum in Harlem, a contemporary art museum championing the work of artists of African descent.

I think it is a contest. They were doing it for two 1- night stays.

Full article:
https://news.airbnb.com/sarah-jessica-parker-hosts-carrie-bradshaws-apartment-and-closet/

In celebration of the upcoming release of the HBO Max Original And Just Like That..., the highly-anticipated new chapter of Sex and the City, the award-winning actress and producer is opening the doors to Carrie Bradshaw’s New York City brownstone, in partnership with Airbnb and Warner Bros. Consumer Products.

Sarah Jessica Parker will host two, one-night stays for up to two guests each at a recreation of Carrie’s brownstone on November 12 and 13 for only $23* a night, in honor of the 23 years since we were first introduced to the fashion-forward icon and her friends.

To celebrate Carrie’s return to television screens, Airbnb will make a one-time donation to The Studio Museum in Harlem, a contemporary art museum championing the work of artists of African descent.
When you click on the airbnb website for the apartment it says this:

*These stays are not a contest. Guests are responsible for their own travel to and from New York.

When you click on the airbnb website for the apartment it says this:

*These stays are not a contest. Guests are responsible for their own travel to and from New York.

I just meant that I don't think that it can be considered a contest if you are paying. I'm not in the US, so I don't know. I just meant that the "prizes" that you're getting from being there (decked out closet to play in, the photo shoot, the "greeting" from SJP) all sound like contest rewards. The money is supposed to be another Easter egg and its possible that they had to charge something in order to list on Airbnb. I don't know.

I'm curious to know what their selection process is. If not first-come-first-served then it's a contest/competition. What else could it be called?

Sarah Jessica Parker is not here for your 'misogynist' ageism​

211108085128-sarah-jessica-parker-1107-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Sarah Jessica Parker is seen filming "And Just Like That..." the follow up series to "Sex and the City" in Madison Square Park this month.

(CNN) — Sarah Jessica Parker is tackling criticism of her looks as she grows older.

Parker says she and her former "Sex and the City" co-stars have received some negative comments over how their physical appearances have changed as they've gotten older. The cast is in production on a spinoff series, "And Just Like That..."

"There's so much misogynist chatter in response to us that would never. Happen. About. A. Man.," Parker tells Vogue. "'Gray hair, gray hair, gray hair. Does she have gray hair?'"

In July, Parker displayed her natural gray roots while out for lunch with friends. She addressed the frenzy that followed, saying, "I'm sitting with Andy Cohen, and he has a full head of gray hair, and he's exquisite. Why is it OK for him? I don't know what to tell you people!"

Parker adds that the scrutiny has gotten worse because of social media.

"It almost feels as if people don't want us to be perfectly OK with where we are, as if they almost enjoy us being pained by who we are today, whether we choose to age naturally and not look perfect, or whether you do something if that makes you feel better," she said.

"I know what I look like. I have no choice," she added. "What am I going to do about it? Stop aging? Disappear?"

Sarah Jessica Parker is not here for your 'misogynist' ageism​

211108085128-sarah-jessica-parker-1107-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Sarah Jessica Parker is seen filming "And Just Like That..." the follow up series to "Sex and the City" in Madison Square Park this month.

(CNN) — Sarah Jessica Parker is tackling criticism of her looks as she grows older.

Parker says she and her former "Sex and the City" co-stars have received some negative comments over how their physical appearances have changed as they've gotten older. The cast is in production on a spinoff series, "And Just Like That..."

"There's so much misogynist chatter in response to us that would never. Happen. About. A. Man.," Parker tells Vogue. "'Gray hair, gray hair, gray hair. Does she have gray hair?'"

In July, Parker displayed her natural gray roots while out for lunch with friends. She addressed the frenzy that followed, saying, "I'm sitting with Andy Cohen, and he has a full head of gray hair, and he's exquisite. Why is it OK for him? I don't know what to tell you people!"

Parker adds that the scrutiny has gotten worse because of social media.

"It almost feels as if people don't want us to be perfectly OK with where we are, as if they almost enjoy us being pained by who we are today, whether we choose to age naturally and not look perfect, or whether you do something if that makes you feel better," she said.

"I know what I look like. I have no choice," she added. "What am I going to do about it? Stop aging? Disappear?"
This is one of those “Thank God I’m Black” moments. Like white ppl really do age like prunes. It’s disturbing.

(ETA: SJP is 56…Cynthia Bailey is 54…Garcelle Beauvais is 54…Vanessa Bell Calloway is 64…IJS).

I do agree with her to a large extent, tho - nothing they can really do about it. Gotta live life.

However, that doesn’t mean that as a Black woman I can’t hard blink twice or acknowledge that the show feels like a very different experience now. But maybe that’s the point? We shall see.

Last edited:
I was lukewarm about the reboot but now I’m curious. It doesn’t seem like they’re trying to pretend they aren’t getting older. That along with the change in fashion and new black friend makes me wonder if they’ve experienced more growth than we saw during the series or movies.

This is one of those “Thank God I’m Black” moments. Like white ppl really do age like prunes. It’s disturbing.

(ETA: SJP is 56…Cynthia Bailey is 54…Garcelle Beauvais is 54…Vanessa Bell Calloway is 64…IJS).

I do agree with her to a large extent, tho - nothing they can really do about it. Gotta live life.

However, that doesn’t mean that as a Black woman I can’t hard blink twice or acknowledge that the show feels like a very different experience now. But maybe that’s the point? We shall see.
White women's aging is always shocking. She looks older than my 65 year old sister. I will continue to put on my sunscreen and avoid the sun, Lawd.

I was lukewarm about the reboot but now I’m curious. It doesn’t seem like they’re trying to pretend they aren’t getting older. That along with the change in fashion and new black friend makes me wonder if they’ve experienced more growth than we saw during the series or movies.

I missed this announcement. I hope that she's a real main character and not just a tag-along with a lot of lines.

I'm curious to know if she she'll fit in with the other ladies or if this actress will have stories to tell when it's all said and done, like Kim Cattrall.

I know this isn't the "Entertainment" thread, but this is the most recent post on the franchise.

Did anyone watch the reboot? I just finished the first two episodes, and I need to process what I just saw

I know this isn't the "Entertainment" thread, but this is the most recent post on the franchise.

Did anyone watch the reboot? I just finished the first two episodes, and I need to process what I just saw

I need to know more. You need to process, as in it was surreal? Utterly stupid? They were old people acting foolish? Continuity issues? What?! I need to know -- without knowing too much. I'm hoping to watch it tonight.

Back