Rant: Sex and the city

You're right. I completely forgot about the scene where she brought wine into the recital. Drinking and outlandish stuff was so common in the original I didn't bat an eye at it. I almost felt it was justified given how seriously Charlotte was taking it. Also, no one batted an eye (aside from Charlotte) and LTW and her husband were drinking too. That part was funny. "He don't got this."
:lol:
The going to a bar before her first day at school seemed odd to me. Really? Definitely foreshadowing.

The going to a bar before her first day at school seemed odd to me. Really? Definitely foreshadowing.
I didn't think much of it initially. I chalked it up to killing time and being nervous which she definitely was given the verbal diarrhea in class. There's definitely something going on though. 3 references to drinking in one episode is a lot.

So I watched the first episode with my friend on Friday. So many things vexed us up about the original show and so we were here for the self-induced pain of the reboot. :lol:

Your spoiler is bang on.

I said to my friend that if this was a different show, we'd be waiting to see how she was going to scam insurance and collect her money.

Between her waiting for what felt like a full minute to see if he was going to die, her rushing over to him and then not turning off the water, then almost looking like she was purposely trying to pull him under the shower in some shots, and then not using his phone. Please. Something ain't looking right.

Also her and the podcast. I can't buy any of it. She was supposed to be some big sex columnist who sold a book worldwide. BUT she can't talk about it? Also, you can't claim generation gap. I think Che refers to themself as Carrie's boss in the first episode. So I'm assuming that either Carrie was approached or she applied for the job. This isn't a one off, which means she knew what she was walking into. To pretend you weren't going to hear crass masturbation stories is far fetched. And then knot knowing if Big masturbates? They got married in the 2008 movie. Like, really, 13 years later and you have to ask?! AND you're a sex writer? Nope. Not buying it.

But the thing that really got me was how they explained Sam's lack of presence on the show. It felt like all sorts of levels of shade. IF I were Kim Catrall and I thought some tiny chance that I'd give this reboot a chance, there would be no way in hell that I'd do it now. I didn't follow their beef, but did watch an interview a couple of weeks ago and I feel like SJP aired all of their dirty laundry and called it a script. I still don't know what the rumoured problem was between the two, but as Kim says in the interview, the show was a job and their relationship is real life.

It's unfortunate, because I think that Kim would have still looked the best out of the 4 despite the show being so old and her being that much older than the rest.

GIRL. Yes and yes. But SATC is my fav show of all time, so I’ve given some passes through the years (*cough* including the wackalicious SATC 2 movie *cough*)

But never forget, this, too is Kim Cattrall:
:look:

And Kim was also pissy at SJP for saying condolences about her brother dying. Like what? That was a kind thing to say, regardless lol

So I’m aware Kim may be a little, quite a bit delusional :lol:

I didn't think much of it initially. I chalked it up to killing time and being nervous which she definitely was given the verbal diarrhea in class. There's definitely something going on though. 3 references to drinking in one episode is a lot.
Yeah, I went with it but too many scenes in one episode. Completely agree.

GIRL. Yes and yes. But SATC is my fav show of all time, so I’ve given some passes through the years (*cough* including the wackalicious SATC 2 movie *cough*)

And Kim was also pissy at SJP for saying condolences about her brother dying. Like what? That was a kind thing to say, regardless lol

I disagree. Generally it is a nice thing to say, but there are some people who will do you the absolute dirty and try to pretend that it was water all a misunderstanding with no apologies in between. I'm not taking sides, because I don't know either of them, but it must have been something to publicly reject the condolences.

I disagree. Generally it is a nice thing to say, but there are some people who will do you the absolute dirty and try to pretend that it was water all a misunderstanding with no apologies in between. I'm not taking sides, because I don't know either of them, but it must have been something to publicly reject the condolences.
I think it depends on the kind of person you are. For me, I almost don’t care what kind of janky history we have, unless you violated someone I love or did something truly unforgivable, I’m not going to call you out for saying a generic “Sorry for your loss”. Even if I didn’t feel it was thoughtful, I’m not going to actually get mad @ it…especially not publicly. I wouldn’t say anything even if I asked. We don’t have to like each other for human decency. IIRC, Kim said something along the lines of, “I don’t need her condolences. She never met my brother.” - That’s petty af, IMO.

Last edited:
Can we talk about Brady??? Why are they letting him shag his gf in the house like that? He's acting like a frat boy and not even trying to be discreet. It's gross. It's one thing to give your child a safe place to do what he's doing but the entitlement is way, way, way too much. He'd lose that privilege if it were me but I wouldn't be in that situation to begin with.

It’s disgusting. I cringed when Miranda yelled at him at the funeral saying “No Luisa for a week!”. She may as well have said “No sex for a week!”. Which is a gross and awkward thing to be saying (and using as a punishment) to your minor child.

I think this is a part of the wokeness they are working into the story at every angle. When Brady was making out wildly with his GF at the recital, he told his mom not to “sex shame” him.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the kind of person you are. For me, I almost don’t care what kind of janky history we have, unless you violated someone I love or did something truly unforgivable, I’m not going to call you out for saying a generic “Sorry for your loss”. Even if I didn’t feel it was thoughtful, I’m not going to actually get mad @ it…especially not publicly. I wouldn’t say anything even if I asked. We don’t have to like each other for human decency. IIRC, Kim said something along the lines of, “I don’t need her condolences. She never met my brother.” - That’s petty af, IMO.
It was mentioned upthread but SJP manipulated reports about the SATC movies being held up by Kim Catrell. That happened more than once. They ain't cool and she was like 'keep my brother's name out your mouth'. I get it.

It was mentioned upthread but SJP manipulated reports about the SATC movies being held up by Kim Catrell. That happened more than once. They ain't cool and she was like 'keep my brother's name out your mouth'. I get it.

I guess it's also the difference is between "I know we had beef, but I'll send you a (personal) card of sympathy" vs I'm going to let the whole world know I'm sending you my condolences through a(n impersonal) tweet.

I'd read something that said (as related by Kim, that Kim's mom wasn't happy about the gesture, either.

I guess it's also the difference is between "I know we had beef, but I'll send you a (personal) card of sympathy" vs I'm going to let the whole world know I'm sending you my condolences through a(n impersonal) tweet.

I'd read something that said (as related by Kim, that Kim's mom wasn't happy about the gesture, either.
Oh yeah, I forgot the condolences was a tweet. I wouldn’t make it the biggest deal nor address it publicly, but I’d be a bit annoyed by that. I still think Kim is being a bit dramatic, though, considering they are 50+ year old women. Since when do ppl have to like their coworkers? Then again, I choose to not take on clients I don’t like or fire them, so I get it.

I’m trying to think of what SJP could have done to make the whole family dislike her.

Last edited:
It’s disgusting. I cringed when Miranda yelled at him at the funeral saying “No Luisa far a week!”. She may as well have said “No sex for a week!”. Which is a gross and awkward thing to be saying (and using as a punishment) to your minor child.

I think this is a part of the wokeness they are working into the story at every angle. When Brady was making out wildly with his GF at the recital, he told his mom not to “sex shame” him.

That whole Brady storyline pissed me off. Call me a prude or whatever, but that wouldn't be going down in my house. 'oh you have to give teens a safe space to have sex' please...boy better go use his hand and a victoria's secret catalogue like millions before him.

I finally saw the first two episodes and they were actually really good. I think what bothered me the most is that Sarah Jessica Parker didn’t have much of a reaction to Big dying. Shoot, I cried more then she did just watching the show. It was really sad, and I felt like all the other characters really conveyed the sadness very well. I know people have different reactions to things but I was expecting Sarah to breakdown at one point. She seemed sadder in the first movie when Big didn’t show up at the wedding.
Them mailing Big’s ashes and putting it in a cardboard box like some Amazon package rubbed me the wrong way. I feel they gave a little passive aggressive jab at everyone who didn’t want to participate in the season (Samantha included).

The whole Brady thing is gross and cringy, but there were times the SATC show went there so I guess it’s not far from their realm. I’m wondering if Charlotte’s biological daughter is gay or just a tomboy. Harry looks so old, and Charlotte looks great. I noticed she did some Botox a while back that was not flattering but her face seem to have settled and it looks more
natural now. I think I noticed the Botox face when she cried. It’s funny how all the black people look so much younger then their white costars. The professor looks like she could be a student.

If I was Peloton I would be pissed! Peloton already had bad press from a young child that died from their treadmill a few years back, now you use their bike to kill a well known and loved character from the show. OMG. What was the show thinking? Even Miranda’s husband blamed the bike for his death. “Why was he riding that thing anyway?” Smh, too much drama for your mama. They should have just used a no name exercise bike, why mention Peloton at all?

I agree with everyone’s observation that Miranda may have a drinking problem. Honestly I know it’s a show but with a mom like Miranda who’s so strict I’m surprised Brady turned out the way he did. I felt like he should have been a better kid. His dad is the loving softee that balances out the disciplinary parenting that Miranda gives. Again, I know it’s a show but seeing kids turns out like that turns me off from wanting to have them. He definitely would not be acting out like that in my house.

Caught up to this thread too.

I think they were definitely heavy handed with Miranda being an alcoholic now.

@luckiestdestiny I said exactly that to my cousin, I did not sign up for teen sex, that's unnecessary. And common courtesy would prevent you from being that loud with a roommate, let alone your parents. Even at my big age I would not feel comfortable having very loud headboard banging sex with my mother in the next room over.

Smoking in general is illegal indoors in NY, so smoking weed is definitely a nono. Che was wrong for that.

I agree that Carrie being specifically hired to be on a podcast about sex, then refusing to talk about sex is out of character. She and Big used to have phone sex when he moved to CA, now all of a sudden she doesn't know if he masturbates? And again, I'll say that public masturbation is not a generational thing you sex offender flasher weirdos :lol:

They were shady to Kim Catrall from jump when Misty Von Mufflin said something along the lines of "a sexy siren in her 60s like Samantha needs to spread her wings everywhere". And all the digs reminded me that SJP can be very nasty nice. I think in all her appearances, she likes to portray herself as a very nice person, even when she goes on Catty Andy's show she refuses to say anything bad or be a lil catty about anyone. And you can't tell me you're best friends with Andy Cohen but don't have a *****y bone in your body.

But she tries to have it both ways, on the one hand she calls out the internet for ageism about her looks, while reminding everyone Samantha is older in the script.

She's all, women should be bosses and live their best life, but also, isn't Kim Catrall such a B for wanting more money and keeping this project from you, the fans? When Kim came at her about the condolences, I definitely did not get the impression that she was being unreasonable. She BEEN telling SJP to keep her name out her mouth and that she flat out refuses any part of SATC ever again since like 2015, and literally every couple months, SJP would do an interview saying how it would be so nice to do more but Kim won't do it. Then a "source" would trot out the same tired themes that Kim wants more money, Kim wants to be a producer, Kim wants more say in the stories....

And why shouldn't she if we're all about empowering women? And Samantha was so many people's favourite

They were shady to Kim Catrall from jump when Misty Von Mufflin said something along the lines of "a sexy siren in her 60s like Samantha needs to spread her wings everywhere". And all the digs reminded me that SJP can be very nasty nice. I think in all her appearances, she likes to portray herself as a very nice person, even when she goes on Catty Andy's show she refuses to say anything bad or be a lil catty about anyone. And you can't tell me you're best friends with Andy Cohen but don't have a *****y bone in your body.

But she tries to have it both ways, on the one hand she calls out the internet for ageism about her looks, while reminding everyone Samantha is older in the script.

She's all, women should be bosses and live their best life, but also, isn't Kim Catrall such a B for wanting more money and keeping this project from you, the fans? When Kim came at her about the condolences, I definitely did not get the impression that she was being unreasonable. She BEEN telling SJP to keep her name out her mouth and that she flat out refuses any part of SATC ever again since like 2015, and literally every couple months, SJP would do an interview saying how it would be so nice to do more but Kim won't do it. Then a "source" would trot out the same tired themes that Kim wants more money, Kim wants to be a producer, Kim wants more say in the stories....

And why shouldn't she if we're all about empowering women? And Samantha was so many people's favourite
Then btw, all the ladies are now executive producers on this project, something Kim asked for from the beginning and they flogged for it. For actors EP is a luxury title that gives more money and prestige but really they are just bringing their name to it (again which brings people to the project). There is no reason they should flog her for that request, then remind everyone ever 5 seconds she's older than everyone (that has happened even in the show. Think about it, on the sex and the city 2 film, they celebrated her birthday and her as an "oldy but goody". So they were always doing that, but then get mad about ageism when it hits them. And sure the writers write, but they write what's suggested by the producers. ) Then this time they are making her look petty and winking at her that everyone finally has the credit (EP) she requested. So I could see all the little digs there but you articulated it much better. We are seeing now that (Kim) Samantha made the show. Now matter what was thrown at her, she could take it with a wink and make it funny (even heavier subjects). Without her the show drags into serious land. It's no longer fun. And it's not the situations because they always piled on the unsavory and Kim would just knock it out the park. I think that's why Sara was so jealous because she could see that and wanted it to be all about her.

Okay then but just a little sharing in the credit without little digs and Kim would've felt respected and the show would be all the better for it because she'd still be there.

Then btw, all the ladies are now executive producers on this project, something Kim asked for from the beginning and they flogged for it. For actors EP is a luxury title that gives more money and prestige but really they are just bringing their name to it (again which brings people to the project). There is no reason they should flog her for that request, then remind everyone ever 5 seconds she's older than everyone (that has happened even in the show. Think about it, on the sex and the city 2 film, they celebrated her birthday and her as an "oldy but goody". So they were always doing that, but then get mad about ageism when it hits them. And sure the writers write, but they write what's suggested by the producers. ) Then this time they are making her look petty and winking at her that everyone finally has the credit (EP) she requested. So I could see all the little digs there but you articulated it much better. We are seeing now that (Kim) Samantha made the show. Now matter what was thrown at her, she could take it with a wink and make it funny (even heavier subjects). Without her the show drags into serious land. It's no longer fun. And it's not the situations because they always piled on the unsavory and Kim would just knock it out the park. I think that's why Sara was so jealous because she could see that and wanted it to be all about her.

Okay then but just a little sharing in the credit without little digs and Kim would've felt respected and the show would be all the better for it because she'd still be there.
That's why I felt the show was missing the funny and the joy. Samantha was the one who brought that. Not just clever quips but make you laugh out loud funny. She lived her life on her own terms joyfully to the point where even if I could never understand her behavior, I was like, "Girl, you better go." She was a boss before women talked about being bosses.

That's why I felt the show was missing the funny and the joy. Samantha was the one who brought that. Not just clever quips but make you laugh out loud funny. She lived her life on her own terms joyfully to the point where even if I could never understand her behavior, I was like, "Girl, you better go." She was a boss before women talked about being bosses.
Exactly. But here's the thing the same lines in the hands of SJP or even Cynthia (Miranda) would not land as funny, You can have two actresses/tors deliver the same lines and they will read in very different ways. Kim just happened to have it, and comic timing. People just think and dismiss her (probably the blonde thing and her beauty) but she has some extensive theatre background, training and acting chops:

Kim Cattrall's extensive acting career that spans film, stage and television. Though she became best known for her television role as Samantha Jones on Sex and the City, Kim is equally at home on stage and was classically trained at LAMDA and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City. Canada's Walk of Fame (canadaswalkoffame.com)

SJP was probably a little upset that Kim was taking away the spotlight in her project instead of being happy that she had such a strong cast that a show like that could become iconic.

Yes, Kim owned that role and as a result, no one else can play Samantha. They know it which is why they didn't bother to recast it because her touch was irreplaceable. Instead they just got catty about it and that reveals to me that Kim was right. I get it was in the writing, but the producers (including SJP) approve the direction. To dig at her after the loss of her brother also says something about SJP to me,

Last edited:
I haven't read through all the thread, but did anyone else catch that they may be setting Charlotte's other daughter up to be "trans"? The whole incident with Charlotte insisting that she wear a dress when she clearly doesn't like that girly style. I hope they're not doing that because that would be annoying - seems like they're trying to cram in every hot button social issue into the series.

I am HOWLING!!!!!! I’ve heard of this video but never watched it!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Back