Raise your hand if you are 100% black with long hair!

No I am not genetically 100% black- but to look at me you couldn't tell which is why I refer to myself as black and blacker.
OP my hair is majority 4b and its long and thick.
The bun in my avatar is 100 % my hair and the twist out in my siggy is 100% mine.
What makes our hair 4 type is the shrinkage we encounter when our hair gets wet. So that qualifies me as having 100% black peoples hair.:yep:
So if my fotki can give you assistance and inspiration and hope use it.

Well, I do not fit in your category personally , BUT, I too want to know this. As a teacher in a poor area small bilingual/monolingual elementary school, I can honestly say that NONE of the AfrAM kids have long hair. In fact ALL of them have chewed up, broken--past broken really--damaged teenie weenie ponytails smaller than by baby finger. It is SO devastatingly heartbreaking esp cuz I'm looking at them among the super long ponytails of the 'other' kids. I would LOVE for them to know beyond the shadow of a doubt, that they too can have the ponytail of their dreams. Why? One: I love kids and I like see everyone living to their fullest potential. Two: Becuz although I don't fit in your category, I do fit in the sense that my hair is different from everyone else in my family, and I feel it necessary to prove that I can grow my hair to phenomenal lengths. I know EXACTLY how you feel so I too hope you get a lot of positive responses.

The only problem is that many are not 100% negro, but hopefully the 8o% and more will understand what you mean and post. I think you have raised an important point, and I personally would like every hair type reach her goal length. BTW, althouh I believe genetics has some to do with speed of hair growth, final length, and in some sense the ease of doing it, I still think that everyone on earth can reach at LEAST brastrap.:yep:

I agree with the quote in bold. :yep: But I believe that this is probably more so due to education levels and the education level of their parents/mothers more so than anything. When I say "education" I mean how much their mothers know about caring for black hair, especially if their hair is relaxed.

If your mom doesn't know much about hair, then how will their kids know how to take care of their own hair? :nono:

I too sometimes see people's hair that is broken off and looks really thin and life-less, but more so this is because they don't know how to really care for their hair. When I did'nt know much about caring for my own relaxed hair, my hair never really grew past my neck or grazing my shoulder. It wasn't because my hair didn't have the POTENTIAL to grow longer though.

I'm 100% black. 100% African from Nigeria, to be exact. By black, I do not mean black by the generous American/One Drop Rule definition. I mean black.No admixture whether immediate or distant (and I know all of my ancestors back to six generations ago, with no reason to think that before then (pre-colonialism) any admixture could have occurred). Black enough? :)

21 inches and MBL to WL, depending on which area you pull.
For the past several months. I've been keeping it at this length with 1/2" cuts monthly.
Apparently, I had quite thick natural hair as a child (don't remember). However, when my mother relaxed it, it all broke off and never exceeded neck length (5" at the longest, about 1/2" at the back due to severe, perpetual breagkage).
Until I went natural 4 years ago, I was relaxed and my hair never exceeded neck length.
Going natural, having a good regimen, not letting anyone fill my head with nonsense about what 'black hair' can or cannot do (and boy did people try).

MESSAGE TO EVERYONE STRUGGLING WITH STEREOTYPES OF BLACK HAIR: You cannot know what your hair capable of until you have mastered a good regimen and given things time. If your regimen is fantastic and four years have gone by and you're still neck length, then ok--now we can talk about losing all hope. Until then, letting the idea that 100% African hair cannot grow bother you is ridiculous. Speculating about genes when you have not yet done your part is pointless. All my life, I was told that I simply had hair that did not grow and I believed it. But when I went natural, I decided to just let my hair grow and see what it could do. I didn't even set any goals. Just took good care of it for the first time in my life, and let it show me what it was capable of. Almost two feet later, it's still growing. Stop the madness, do your part, and just let your hair show you what it is capable of.

I'm new to the forum and it's probably a little late to reply, but I find that we have a lot of things in common - we're both Nigerian, my hair has never grown past neck length either, and I was thought to have the worst hair out of all my sisters. For most of my life, I wore relaxed hair with horrible split ends and a raggedy look. I finally went for weaves when I was old enough to.

I attempted to go natural two years ago, and I did notice my TWA was much healthier than its relaxed version. It was short too, but surprisingly easier to manage, soft and shinier with minimal care (I cowashed, deep conditioned daily and picked, rather than combed,moisturized - nothing too extensive). Pressure from friends made me go back to relaxing again, and my hair became the unhealthy mess it was. Now, more resolved than ever, I BCed my hair weeks ago and am starting all over again. I know that my hair isn't just made for relaxers and is better off now, but I'm not sure if it will be as long as yours. If you haven't done so already, would you care to discuss your regimen?

I'm new to the forum and it's probably a little late to reply, but I find that we have a lot of things in common - we're both Nigerian, my hair has never grown past neck length either, and I was thought to have the worst hair out of all my sisters. For most of my life, I wore relaxed hair with horrible split ends and a raggedy look. I finally went for weaves when I was old enough to.

I attempted to go natural two years ago, and I did notice my TWA was much healthier than its relaxed version. It was short too, but surprisingly easier to manage, soft and shinier with minimal care (I cowashed, deep conditioned daily and picked, rather than combed,moisturized - nothing too extensive). Pressure from friends made me go back to relaxing again, and my hair became the unhealthy mess it was. Now, more resolved than ever, I BCed my hair weeks ago and am starting all over again. I know that my hair isn't just made for relaxers and is better off now, but I'm not sure if it will be as long as yours. If you haven't done so already, would you care to discuss your regimen?
Welcome to LHCF! Very good comment also :yep:

When I came to this thread I was hoping there was a definition of "long hair" coz I consider my not-yet-APL hair long since it's a length I only dreamed off as a child. I am 100% black

What is your current length?

Whatever this length is. My hair is about the same length all around so whatever this is, imagine it the same length at the crown, sides, etc. So it doesn't fall to the same level all round but it is the same length from base to tips...if that makes sense.

How long has it been that length?

I don't measure my hair or do progress shots, and don't think my hair grows fast, so since that pic was taken in June 2008, I guess my hair is not very different from how it was then. I can tell you it wasn't like that in February 2007 when I got my BC. It was here. Prior to the BC, I might've been where I am now or slightly shorter. But that was from growing my hair in braids after damaging it with heat. So if your question is whether this is my normal length, the answer is no or I wouldn't be so stoked about it. :giggle:

What is the longest length you had as a child?

5-6 inches. That was when my mom cared for my hair as a child and when I got a jheri curl.

...as an adult?

The hair I have now I believe is the longest it's ever been for me as an adult.

What do you contribute to your length/retention?

Low manipulation and better knowledge of my hair and how to handle it.

Last edited:
What is your current length? Armpit length.
How long has it been that length? This is recent .. Pretty much since Late 08. Still growing.
What is the longest length you had as a child? I doubt it even hit neck.
as an adult? I'm still a teen .. so armpit.
What do you contribute to your length/retention? LHCF. Protective styling. Importance of Deep Conditioning. No trimming.

I'm 100% black:yep: And hope to one day be able to contribute to this thread, right now my hair length is unstretched CL. (I'm a 4a/b natural)

I'm not "all black" I guess but my 4a (maybe some 4b) hair sure makes me think I am! It's thin but dense and this fro grows at a nice pace...

People confused my ethnicity all the time but figure it out when they look closely at my hair. :afro:

::looks at how many pages this thread has::.....*gulps*

::looks at how many people are making valuable input as opposed to arguing about what is/isn't black::......:look:

I don't consider my hair to be that long yet, but here goes:

What is your current length? APL
How long has it been that length? I was APL for three months, trimmed back to shoulder length but I've been back at APL for about a month now
What is the longest length you had as a child? Barely SL
as an adult? APL
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Baggying, moisturising daily (never used to moisturise at all), protective styling, handling my hair more gently, combing from ends to roots very gently, deep conditioning, oil massages...

Yes... my parents are both "100% black" and their parents are the same. None of my grandparents are "mixed". They are all from Barbados. However, I am aware that somewhere along the line there must be other races in the family as with everyone who is from the Caribbean... :look:!

First I would like to applaud the OP for starting this thread. I felt compelled to post because of the political issues that are being brought up. I have a mixed heritage and I am very proud of it! I didn't choose it, I was only bless with it. I am not offended by this thread neither do I feel left out and so what if I am. I wish more Black women would be proud of there pure heritage.

Apparently the OP would like to do something that many Black Americans have been discouraged not to do, that's to identify and seek knowledge of those that have similar traits. Apparently she needs this along with many women. Let them have it and stop hyjacking this thread with YOUR insecurities. She has a right to it and if you don't agree then leave the thread. I don't think the OP intended to offend or inch this thread toward a lock down. Please step aside enjoy the thread for what it was intended and let those people recieve the overdue knowledged that will help them on their journey.

FYI: Many Black Americans really need to know who they are. We can trace our heritage don't let anyone tell you different. We have a unique and beautiful heritage. There are slave and port of entry records that can be traced to your ancestors as well as DNA tests. Many Black Americans can trace their heritage to where our people originated. And often times it was not Africa. Remember Black people were the first to walk this earth and they lived and populated many lands. Don't let mainstream media tell you who you are. Read OUR Bible.

Bless you all,
Peace and hair grease!

MESSAGE TO EVERYONE STRUGGLING WITH STEREOTYPES OF BLACK HAIR: You cannot know what your hair capable of until you have mastered a good regimen and given things time. If your regimen is fantastic and four years have gone by and you're still neck length, then ok--now we can talk about losing all hope. Until then, letting the idea that 100% African hair cannot grow bother you is ridiculous. Speculating about genes when you have not yet done your part is pointless. All my life, I was told that I simply had hair that did not grow and I believed it. But when I went natural, I decided to just let my hair grow and see what it could do. I didn't even set any goals. Just took good care of it for the first time in my life, and let it show me what it was capable of. Almost two feet later, it's still growing. Stop the madness, do your part, and just let your hair show you what it is capable of.

:trophy: I've had many friends from West Africa and pure African descended from the British Virgin Islands...and they either had very long hair as children or currently. Somehow, when they got to the States or Europe, their hair started acting crazy. Some say it's the water. But one thing Nigerians have said, that the use of the relaxer is jacking up everybody's hair. There are healthy ways to use it. I think, like here, women pressed their hair more in the past and now more are relaxed...resulting in very damaged hair. We need total re-education on how to successfuly use them since so many people self-relax.

Last edited:
Can some of you post pictures? I have friends that won't believe that their hair type can grow past shoulder length. I will be directing them toward this thread depending on how it goes. Thank you.

I just read the first and last page of this thread. Not really interested in the politics of it but I do want to respond. That being said I think I can safely say that I am 100% black ( or as close as most folks can get to it anyway). I am Nigerian, both my parents are black, their parents were black, etc., etc. My hair is also fine and relaxed <quadruple whammy, lol>. I don't consider it long by LHCF standards but by the OP's standards I guess it fits the bill.

My current length is a little above brastrap aka armpit after my latest hack job of a trim.
How long has it been that length?
About a month. It was brastrap prior to that
What is the longest length you had as a child?
As a child my hair was longest before it was relaxed. I have pictures of myself with a relaxer at about 6 years old and I have no memories of my first relaxer. It was probably about armpit or a little shorter. After relaxers it never got very far past shoulder length until I learned to take care of it as an adult.
as an adult?
The longest my hair has been is brastrap
Protective styles, stretching my relaxers, learning what works and doesn't work for my hair and acting accordingly and last but certainly not least staying away from SHS (scissor happy stylists).

Last edited:
I can definitely tell you that I am 100% Nigerian, 100% igbo. I know both of my parent's villages. I got the same genetic heart condition my daddy had, and the same "chinese" eyes my mom got. My mom took good care of my hair when it was natural, when I first got relaxed I was BSL, and ofcourse my hair started to break, and when I moved to America it was over, all my hair really fell off! But I am back at APL, before you know it I will be BSL again!! so when I am waist length, everyone will know I worked for it!

APL
How long has it been that length? 4 years
What is the longest length you had as a child? I don't really know because my hair was natural, and I never got it straightened as a child. But un-stretched it was like somewhere between APL and BSL as a child (on my much smaller body)
as an adult? BSL relaxed
relaxer stretching, moisturizing, Deep conditioning, and most importantly, fewer trims!

I can definitely tell you that I am 100% Nigerian, 100% igbo. I know both of my parent's villages. I got the same genetic heart condition my daddy had, and the same "chinese" eyes my mom got. My mom took good care of my hair when it was natural, when I first got relaxed I was BSL, and ofcourse my hair started to break, and when I moved to America it was over, all my hair really fell off! But I am back at APL, before you know it I will be BSL again!! so when I am waist length, everyone will know I worked for it!

How long has it been that length? 4 years
What is the longest length you had as a child? I don't really know because my hair was natural, and I never got it straightened as a child. But un-stretched it was like somewhere between APL and BSL as a child (on my much smaller body)
as an adult? BSL relaxed
relaxer stretching, moisturizing, Deep conditioning, and most importantly, fewer trims!

Woot woot! Naija in the house!! lol 100% Nigerian, 100% Igbo here too =D

How long has it been that length? Since March. My mom did a "trim" for me back in March. A 4-inch trim.
What is the longest length you had as a child? APL
as an adult? APL relaxed
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Protective styling. A lot of bunning and ponytails. Heat used to be kept at a minimum of only twice or so per month. I hardly ever trim, maybe a once or twice a year. I'm no good at continuing to moisturize my hair, I skip a few days sometimes. I co-wash often and shampoo less. That's been amazing for me.

*****WARNING: IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED OR DON"T TAKE THE TIME TO READ THROUGH ENTIRE POSTS, PLEASE STOP HERE. THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN WILL PROBABLY BE FOUND OFFENSIVE TO YOU.*****

Ok, let me first start by saying that this thread is not intended to offend ANYONE! If you are mixed and have long hair, I am by no means discrediting your accomplishments with growing your hair. I just need some personal encouragement from those who are like me! :grin:

That being said, I want to know if there is anyone out there who is 100% African-Carribean American who has long hair (anything past shoulder) and DID NOT have it all of their life. I am a believer that hair growth is greatly in part due to genetics so if you had long hair as a child, your excluded. If any of your parents are 100% other or are mixed, meaning your Grandma was Caucasian/Indian/Asian/Puerto Rican or any other "an" besides African, you also are excluded. If you grew up being able to say "I got Indian in my family!", yep, your excluded too. :look: :takecover:

So who does that leave? The "Both my parents are 100% negro and I did not have long hair when I was little" group. I just need to know that you exist. If you fit the criteria (be honest wit ya self!), please reply and answer the questions below. I will reply to them in a new post (If you have any before/after pics, that would be great too!).

What is your current length? Shoulder

How long has it been that length? About 8 mos

What is the longest length you had as a child? APL in braids (natural braids). My mom never let me & my sisters wear our hair out except in my easter dress one year so I could wear a cute headband (she let me wear a ponytail bun).

as an adult? APL (ahh, 2006 and a good stylist)

What do you contribute to your length/retention? I didn't try to self relax

It seems that every time I admire someones phenominal hair growth or health, I find out that they grandma/grandpa was white or Indian. I REFUSE to believe that 100% AA hair doesn't grow long! I need to know there is some hope for me! :cry: :tantrum: :crybaby: :cry3: :cry:

Thank you in advance!

***********ALL RESPONSES CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 19 OF THIS THREAD*********************

What is your current length? Shoulder

How long has it been that length? About 8 mos

What is the longest length you had as a child? APL in braids (natural braids). My mom never let me & my sisters wear our hair out except in my easter dress one year so I could wear a cute headband (she let me wear a ponytail bun).

as an adult? APL (ahh, 2006 and a good stylist)

What do you contribute to your length/retention? I didn't attempt to self relax

Good to see all my Naija sistas (Igbo here) repping:) im gonna be posting here too with results come 12/2009...God willing
OT but do yall speak it(Igbo)?

I find that it is harder for black people to care for their hair in 'white' countries. My mum is from the drcongo and all her family is from there, no mixing. In africa she had beautiful thick natural hair just part shoulder length and just above bsl when stretched. When we moved to england the cold weather just snapped it off. I think full black people can have long hair but it is easier to have it in their own environments

Is it me? or did this thread get realllllllllll deep for no reason.
I think her question is harmless. Folks lets get our panties out of a bunch.
If anything she may have been encouraged from some of the responses she got from people who can relate to her.Which is why we are all here. I think sometimes we try real hard to impose our own thoughts and feelings on other people.The girl wasnt asking for "a talking to" She wanted to know who had long hair and was "REAL BLACK":lachen::lachen:
ummmmmmmm I think its awesome to go back so many generations. We can go back six on my mothers side also. But we aint "real black" unfortunately.We did a whole lot of mingling around:kisses:

I concur.

The question was simple to me. :ohwell:

I hope we can get a few more responses about the original thread. This is the ultimate question for me. My hair has never gone past my shoulder and I am '100% black'. I am 1 year into my hair journey and would love inspiration from those with hair like mine.

great thread OP im with ya girl....no confusion or misunderstanding here!!!

I am apl 4/a

childhood length: neck

My hair is the longest it has ever been.... Sorry no pics, I still live in 1971 before digital cameras were invented... I know, one day I will have pics!!!

People know what she meant, but as always some people are just meant to get on the short bus. :yep: :lachen:

Back