Raise your hand if you are 100% black with long hair!

I didn't know that all Puerto Ricans weren't Black. Because last I check what country you come from has nothing to do with what race you are. And last I checked, the slave ships stopped in Puerto Rico.

I, too, am thankful for this thread. Still not sure why anyone got offended. Anyway, I was under the impression that you had to be mixed to get hair past SL. (before LHCF)
It was very inspiring to hear some of the stories.

I don't see why people have taken so much offense to the thread either. What I heard from the OP is that after a lifetime of hearing negative messages about people of (supposedly) unmixed "Black" ancestry not being able to grow hair past shoulder length, she needs to see examples of Black women who have done what she was trained to believe was impossible to give her inspiration. I really don't think she was trying to "diss" mixed people or people with looser textures.

I agree, however, with what some others have said that the conversation is really about hair type, not race. It may not be a popular opinion and I expect to be roasted by some, but the reality is the fundamental problem with retaining length on any type of curly hair vs. straight hair is that every bend and twist in the shaft represents a weak point and a point of potential breakage.

The curlier the hair, the more weak spots (and the more friction and stress from combing, brushing, and detangling). Tighter curls generally have a thinner cuticle too. Thus, in general, I do believe that those with looser curls have somewhat less of a challenge in retaining length. That said, some 3bs have a bear of a time retaining length and some 4bs have hair to their butts. Other factors play a role too! Nonetheless, my anecdotal experience says, "yes" there is a positive correlation between the tightness of your curl and how hard you have to work to keep hair on your head.

Last edited:
I don't see why people have taken so much offense to the thread either. What I heard from the OP is that after a lifetime of hearing negative messages about people of (supposedly) unmixed "Black" ancestry not being able to grow hair past shoulder length, she needs to see examples of Black women who have done what she was trained to believe was impossible to give her inspiration. I really don't think she was trying to "diss" mixed people or people with looser textures.

I agree! Do you know how long I was brainwashed into thinking that I could never have hair past shoulder length due to genes and race!?!!!!!!!!!! Almost quarter of a century! :nono:... like up until last year... :nono:. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER I GUESS! ... :grin:

I'm so glad I found this board! Who knows, I'd still be in ignorant land...wearing glue ins and not even thinking twice that I can grow some hair.

I don't qualify for hair posting in this thread, based on the OP's requirements, but I really think this is a great thread. It doesn't matter how much other ladies say that your hair type doesn't prevent you from growing to long lengths, if you want to and take care of it, there will always be doubt. In this thread the ladies who fit in the OP's requirement with 4 type hair have gone a long way to remove that doubt.

I'm all black so are my mom dad and grandparents, as a child I was natural up until 6th grade so I'm not sure exactly how long my hair stretched was because it was very kinky but looking at pics I would say between shoulder length and apl mom didnt beleive in heat or chemicals on kids hair, not even the bangs, mom kept my hair healthy with grease, water, and braids.

What is your current length? Currently bra strap length(see avi)

How long has it been that length? The 1st time my hair ever got to bra strap I was 18 and I generally keep it around that length, of course though over the years it has been shoulder length and shorter though

What is the longest length you had as a child? When I was in 6th grade mom got me a jherri curl:blush: then a relaxer and I remember my hair being on my back probly apl, then I went to stay the summer with my dad who knew nothing about hair care and let me go swimming err day without taking care of my hair, at the end of the summer when I got back to mom she was hot as a hornet my hair was ruined I tell ya, she gave me another relaxer and a chin length bob

As an adult? a few inches shy of waist (see photo in siggy)

What do you contribute to your length/retention? low manipulation, low heat

I don't qualify for hair posting in this thread, based on the OP's requirements, but I really think this is a great thread. It doesn't matter how much other ladies say that your hair type doesn't prevent you from growing to long lengths, if you want to and take care of it, there will always be doubt. In this thread the ladies who fit in the OP's requirement with 4 type hair have gone a long way to remove that doubt.

I don't qualify either - 100% black what does this mean, what on earth am I then? or any one else who does not qualify.

What is your current length? I am at SL now :perplexed - I miss my hair during this transitioning phase.
How long has it been that length? Since my mini chop in September '08.
What is the longest length you had as a child? My hair was pretty long around APL.
as an adult? I was in between BSL and MBL.
What do you contribute to your length/retention? I retained my length when my hair was relaxed by a pretty simple regimen. I washed bi-weekly and either got a rollerset or a flat-iron. I would DC when ever. I would keep my hair wrapped every night and use oil on my hair.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 47
What is your current length?
APL, but going to BC as soon as I can, sick of having limp, dry relaxed hair. Got worse when I went on Roaccutane.

What is the longest length you had as a child?
A little poof on my head, what is that? Um Near shoulder length at the front only my back didn't exist.

as an adult?
I'm only 20! Same APL

What do you contribute to your length/retention?
Discovered protein, DC, and discovered that after 18 years my hair wasn't bad. It can grow. + BT proved this is to me.

But I'm a 4b relaxed going to chop off my hair in 2 weeks. I'm sick of my relaxed hair.

MESSAGE TO EVERYONE STRUGGLING WITH STEREOTYPES OF BLACK HAIR: You cannot know what your hair capable of until you have mastered a good regimen and given things time. If your regimen is fantastic and four years have gone by and you're still neck length, then ok--now we can talk about losing all hope. Until then, letting the idea that 100% African hair cannot grow bother you is ridiculous. Speculating about genes when you have not yet done your part is pointless. All my life, I was told that I simply had hair that did not grow and I believed it. But when I went natural, I decided to just let my hair grow and see what it could do. I didn't even set any goals. Just took good care of it for the first time in my life, and let it show me what it was capable of. Almost two feet later, it's still growing. Stop the madness, do your part, and just let your hair show you what it is capable of.
:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

I havent read this, all I can is Black is a phenotypical description not a race......so how can someone be 100% black? I consider myself black just because of growing up and always being called black, but I'm american with african roots and native american and dutch ancestors....so I don't know if I would call myself 100% black....but I want long hair.

I am american with african roots, I'm not from africa directly so I leave the term african american to my africa friends who are american lol, but I do sometimes say african american to make it easy on people instead of breaking out into an analytical anthropology-related rant on races, nationalities, census-titles and the latter lol

I think she means 100 black, as in dark skinned? Where it's like you look at a black person and say "oh I know she ain't mixed with nuttin" lol and don't front cuz some of ya know ya said that to urself at one point or another lol...like take me for example, if you see me, you would definitely say "oh i know she's not mixed" because of my skin complexion and physical features.

I think she means 100 black, as in dark skinned? Where it's like you look at a black person and say "oh I know she ain't mixed with nuttin" lol and don't front cuz some of ya know ya said that to urself at one point or another lol...like take me for example, if you see me, you would definitely say "oh i know she's not mixed" because of my skin complexion and physical features.

:ot: I don't think so. There have already been members who posted here who are not dark skinned, including myself. I have been mistaken for mixed but that doesn't take away the fact that I am 100% black, I think the OP is just talking about people who are not able to say: 'I'm mixed somewhere down the line', which she explained very well in her OP. If people would just read the title, analyze if they fit the bill and then post a pic and answer the OP's question things would be just fine, but for the most part, if you read half the posts here it's people questioning the existence of 100% black people (which made me go from this :rolleyes: to this :lachen:) and hijacking the thread all together :hijacked:. There are threads about mixed people (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=28300&highlight=biracials), if you feel the need to break down your ethnicity, that's the place to do it. If you've never in your life seen 100% black people, this is the perfect time because the few of us that are still left will post here:yep: But constantly questioning and :blah::blah::blah: is only gonna get this thread :padlock2:, which again would be unfair to the people who fit the description the OP gave, we would personally like to see more members like Sonce post.

ps: for those who see black as merely a skincolor, replace the word 'black' above with 'negroïde person'.

I just had to vent, :thankyou:.

And now back on topic: :morepics:

Last edited:
There must be some maternity or paternity fraud against whomever of your parents is white. :lachen:Everyone knows true biracials can shave their head today and have waist length hair again next month. :look:

:lachen:true.. black folks swear being biracial guarantees the fastest growing, nicest hair in the world. It soo varies with the person. Two of my biracial sisters have like 2a and 3a hair and my 4b hair grows much faster than theirs. I've cut my hair short many times and it grew back nicely. Neither of them have had hair past APL since childhood and both of them have been struggling to get to APL for a minute now.

My hair is only a couple inches past shoulder in the back. I completely understand OP's question and the responses she was looking for because I often wonder about people with my hair type/history and how their growth journey has progressed. It is nice to get positive feedback from people with a head full of long hair --that in our culture's opinion, does not have the ability to grow past a certain length.

I didn't have damaged hair as a child but it certainly wasn't long. I had collar bone length hair that was pressed on a weekly basis.

My current length is the longest my hair has been and I attribute that to learning about moisture/protein balancing, being gentle to my ends, d/cing and washing more frequently. And I look forward to hearing from more ladies with the type hair situation that OP has described.

Well, I'm Caribbean and although I have some "mixed blood" it dates back to two centuries ago, so I don't consider myself as anything other than black.
What is your current length? Shoulder length natural.
How long has it been that length? About 1 year.
What is the longest length you had as a child?
as an adult? To the bottom of my neck 5 years ago.
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Pre-pooing with honey and EVOO (learned that here), co-washing or washing weekly, using products as natural as possible (castor oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, honey, henna...), moisturizing my ends every other day and using rollers to prevent them from drying at night (sounds weird but I've been doing that for two weeks and my ends are smooth, moisturized and tangle free!).

100% African (Nigerian) and, like Sonce, fairly certain of my purity. :grin: Wouldn't consider my hair long by LCHF standards, but I'll add...

What is your current length?
A few inches past APL
How long has it been that length? 6+ months
What is the longest length you had as a child? APL/MBL
As an adult? APL
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Being natural for 6 years, decent regimen, exercise, water and never ever believing I couldn't grow long hair (my Nigerian mother teach me well, oh)!

Well, both of my parents are Nigerian born and raised. I'm 100% African American. LiL Wayne might argue that not many things are tougher than nigerian hair.

What is your current length? i'm shoulder length.

How long has it been that length? forever except when i got a haircut last year. i used to never cut my hair.

What is the longest length you had as a child? somewhere between apl and bsl if you could call it that. i don't believe i was wearing bras at that time.

as an adult? bsl

What do you contribute to your length/retention? stretching relaxers. i used to get my hair relaxed every 12 weeks as a kid. It looked a mess, but it was long. Creme of Nature and blue magic. Those are the only two products my mother knew about. She was not a haircare maven. She was really simple about our haircare. and We really didn't wash our hair that much. i can't even remember washing my hair when i was younger. I only remember relaxer days. They were hell on earth.

Hope this helps you even though I'm not strictly within your criteria.

Back