Raise your hand if you are 100% black with long hair!

Damn it I don't qualify according to the rules (got that damn Puerto Rican blood LOL j/k) but I'm enjoying the thread anyway. Oh and I'm not offended *crying*

I find that it is harder for black people to care for their hair in 'white' countries. My mum is from the drcongo and all her family is from there, no mixing. In africa she had beautiful thick natural hair just part shoulder length and just above bsl when stretched. When we moved to england the cold weather just snapped it off. I think full black people can have long hair but it is easier to have it in their own environments

Interesting comment. I've never thought about that before.

I find that it is harder for black people to care for their hair in 'white' countries. My mum is from the drcongo and all her family is from there, no mixing. In africa she had beautiful thick natural hair just part shoulder length and just above bsl when stretched. When we moved to england the cold weather just snapped it off. I think full black people can have long hair but it is easier to have it in their own environments

IA, if you notice members who live in a hot or humid climate seem to retain more length than most of us "snow bunnies." I've seen members on here get amazing growth in no time, especially those who live down south (Florida or the Islands), while my butt is struggling with all kinds of issues because of the cold weather (static, dryness, brittle, wind blown hair) the most that people who live in a hot climate has to deal with is extreme humidity which can mess with your sexy.

IA, if you notice members who live in a hot or humid climate seem to retain more length than most of us "snow bunnies." I've seen members on here get amazing growth in no time, especially those who live down south (Florida or the Islands), while my butt is struggling with all kinds of issues because of the cold weather (static, dryness, brittle, wind blown hair) the most that people who live in a hot climate has to deal with is extreme humidity which can mess with your sexy.

Yeah, I heard that ATL is infamous for having so many black women with long hair. And that when people leave here and move to ATL their hair suddenly thrives. I'm thinking about moving there... or to Oregon where the water is soft & pure. :rolleyes:

Is seems that everyone that has repsonded is about APL or shorter. Are there no full blacks that meet her criteria that have MBL or longer or WL??? If there are please post your pics!!!!! I need some motivation after my SO told me last night that I shouldn't expect my hair to grow that fast since I'm not white. And that I should give my self 5 years to get from APL to BSL. Lol. :( :(

I am 100% black and my hair is just a bit past APL. I will be doing a length check next week, so we'll see how much closer I am to BSL by then.

See... now I feel really bad... I mean, no, I'm not 100% black.... but stuff like this truly makes me feel... un-unified with other black people. I see your point though as to prove that 100% black women can have long hair... but there are those of us who fall into the one-drop rule and are told that we can never achieve that goal too because we have "black" roots.

But nevertheless, the attempt to find a 100% black person makes me feel "less than black enough" in my own race. This just reminds me how NOT black I am... like I need another reminder that I'm not full-blooded black .:nono:

Well, there's no need to for you to feel that way, because according to the this and my experiences in life, most AAs feel that all AAs are mixed. So, you're as black as can be.

I am 100% black. My hair currently is relaxed bsl. My hair journey started in Jan 07. I was shoulder length with dry damaged hair. It has taken me two years to go from shoulder length to bsl. The biggest thing that has helped me is moisturizing and protective styling. My goal is to reach waist length. I am positive that if I continue taking care of my hair I will reach my goal in no more than three years.

Is seems that everyone that has repsonded is about APL or shorter. Are there no full blacks that meet her criteria that have MBL or longer or WL??? If there are please post your pics!!!!! I need some motivation after my SO told me last night that I shouldn't expect my hair to grow that fast since I'm not white. And that I should give my self 5 years to get from APL to BSL. Lol. :( :(

I am 100% black and my hair is just a bit past APL. I will be doing a length check next week, so we'll see how much closer I am to BSL by then.

There's a girl named Aijo, she has a fotki. She's Nigerian (I think, or some other African country), she's a 4a/b natural with BSL hair. I don't think she's a member here though.

This thread has really inspired me. I feel that those of us that meet the OP's criteria do not have enough role models or sources of inspiriation and motivation. Therefore, I think when I reach MBL I am going to start a fotki.

this is a good thread, I'm excluded but I enjoyed reading this thread. It shows that anybody can grow hair long regardless of there background. Cause that whole myth for years saying that black women who are not mix can't grow long hair is a lie!!. Im glad that you made this thread op.

This thread has really inspired me. I feel that those of us that meet the OP's criteria do not have enough role models or sources of inspiriation and motivation. Therefore, I think when I reach MBL I am going to start a fotki.

Why not start one now so people can track your progress?

What is your current length? Real close to Armpit length.
How long has it been that length? Haha since my last touch up which was Friday.
What is the longest length you had as a child? I'm guessing shoulder length.
As an adult? My length right now....(LAME ETA I OFFICIALLY become an adult on Wednesday!! WHOO HOO! lool )
What do you contribute to your length/retention? LHCF. Cowashing. Lots of love and attention.

Interesting thread...I thought hair was classified by type and not by race:ohwell: I know some pure Ethiopians that hair is much wavier than mixed blacks, but they are pure african:perplexed

Woot woot! Naija in the house!! lol 100% Nigerian, 100% Igbo here too =D

What is your current length? APL
How long has it been that length? Since March. My mom did a "trim" for me back in March. A 4-inch trim.
What is the longest length you had as a child? APL
as an adult? APL relaxed
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Protective styling. A lot of bunning and ponytails. Heat used to be kept at a minimum of only twice or so per month. I hardly ever trim, maybe a once or twice a year. I'm no good at continuing to moisturize my hair, I skip a few days sometimes. I co-wash often and shampoo less. That's been amazing for me.

Good to see you here, hopefully we can both represent for Naija when we reach WL

Good to see all my Naija sistas (Igbo here) repping:) im gonna be posting here too with results come 12/2009...God willing
OT but do yall speak it(Igbo)?

Happy to see more igbo gals here, And yes honey I speak igbo fluently.

True, my hair did well in Nigeria (humid and warm), my hair was barely dry and I used little moisturizer. I moved to colder climate, and my hair became dry and started breaking. Later I moved to the Caribbean and again my hair thrived, but soon as I moved to New york, breakage, split ends, and thats how I came to LCHF

This post makes me feel strangely . . . less than :look: j/k, lol!

Anywhoo - I am sure there are several members here that meet this criteria but honestly I think that hair types are a better indicator (if we could ever come to consensus on them).

I have no idea of what these folks' ancestral ethnicity is but I do want to mention one member in particular, Adrienne0914. Her album was one of the first that I ever saw when I became a member here and to this day it is still one of the most inspiring. Anky is another one. Both of them started w/ very short hair, damaged hair and were able to grow their hair to waist length in a very short time. They are both 4ab and if that doesn't inspire you then I don't know what can! HTH!

:wave: to all the Nigerian folks up in here!

I, too, am thankful for this thread. Still not sure why anyone got offended. Anyway, I was under the impression that you had to be mixed to get hair past SL. (before LHCF)
It was very inspiring to hear some of the stories.

Good to see you here, hopefully we can both represent for Naija when we reach WL

Happy to see more igbo gals here, And yes honey I speak igbo fluently.

True, my hair did well in Nigeria (humid and warm), my hair was barely dry and I used little moisturizer. I moved to colder climate, and my hair became dry and started breaking. Later I moved to the Caribbean and again my hair thrived, but soon as I moved to New york, breakage, split ends, and thats how I came to LCHF

I guess that's my problem here in Chicago, and living on the cold lakefront doesn't help either. During the winter the air is very dry and bitter cold. I breathe better is humid warm weather and usually during Chicago's August/September months it's humid and warm, I think my hair likes that.

Hey all 100% naija and igbo in da house (yes I speak it fluently)

My hair length is a little below APL and is relaxed

As a child it was always short and natural (mom cut it) lol

I started seriously relaxing in 12th grade and hair grew to just above APL and was really full.

Moved here and it all broke off and I had to start all over again

I do agree with the poster who said that living in humid regions makes our hair thrive cause back home, my hair rarely broke it just shed and I would only wash twice a week or once a month depending on the hairstyle I had.

But I know with the hair practices I've found here, my hair WILL grow longer than ever. :grin:

What is your current length? Midback Length
How long has it been that length? :QUITE A WHILE NOW
What is the longest length you had as a child?: Shoulder Length
as an adult? : MidBACK
What do you contribute to your length/retention? MOISTURE & TENDER LOVING CARE.

NOT FAIR!:cry3: My mother is Liberian & White BUT my dad is FULL NAIJA....trust me I didn't get any MIXED ANYTHING except skin color....im a 4a...I COME IN PEACE:creatures

Me me!!! :hiya2:

Although I don't really consider my hair long yet....

What is your current length? Almost APL
How long has it been that length? For a few months
What is the longest length you had as a child? Probably SL
as an adult? This is the longest I think
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Dusting ends, moisturizing, not trimming, less heat, less manipulation

Now when I finally reach a goal like BSL or MBL - then I'll really believe. Right now I'm still just like "eh, close but no cigar for me".

I like to know the answer as well alot people may have got offended, But let's be real alot people do think if your black with4/b or 4/z hair it's not in the cards for you to have long hair alot of people think this way. And not saying it's true but for me up until now I even believe the same because even with my texture it has been a real challenge to deal with(I'm by the way is a 4/b napputral). For instance Thankgiving day I was lurking on the board trying to show my mother and sister that there is hope for not her but my sister who just chop all of her hair off not to long ago. And just they one of the members hair who was let's say a 3/c and it was waist legnth siggy. They both replied oh look at her that's because she's mixed that's why her hair is long. I didn't say any thing because one I was annoyed at their ignorace but two when I get annoyed I have a dendency to become very combative and the holiday is just not the time or place to go there and believe it would have. So I just shook my head at them like in pitty because as of now my hair is thriving and the longest it's ever been in my entire life. But most ironic part is my mother is currently suffering alopiecia really bad to the piont 75% is almost gone. And my sister chop hers off due to serious damage (and she's a professional stylist sheesh go figure) And get this she thinks the only way us 4/b or 4/z's can get waist legnth is to get dreadloc's crazy ain't it? And even when I tried to help my mother beacause it break's my heart to see her like that and I know it's killing her as well she just dismisses me because she think all of us on here is just obessed with hair and chasing a dream that will never happend. She really don't believe that black women can grow long beautiful hair she even till this day argues that most women with long hair haves weaves when we are out. And half do be their hair trust I can spot a weave no matter how well it's done miles away. Being that I still install others in sometimes as a side hustle and I do them very well.

Yeah, I heard that ATL is infamous for having so many black women with long hair. And that when people leave here and move to ATL their hair suddenly thrives. I'm thinking about moving there... or to Oregon where the water is soft & pure. :rolleyes:

ITA. My family and I stayed in ATL a few years ago, for 2 weeks. My mom and I felt such a difference in our hair. Then we came back to Cali and snap, crackle & pop resumed :S

I like to know the answer as well alot people may have got offended, But let's be real alot people do think if your black with4/b or 4/z hair it's not in the cards for you to have long hair alot of people think this way. And not saying it's true but for me up until now I even believe the same because even with my texture it has been a real challenge to deal with(I'm by the way is a 4/b napputral). For instance Thankgiving day I was lurking on the board trying to show my mother and sister that there is hope for not her but my sister who just chop all of her hair off not to long ago. And just they one of the members hair who was let's say a 3/c and it was waist legnth siggy. They both replied oh look at her that's because she's mixed that's why her hair is long. I didn't say any thing because one I was annoyed at their ignorace but two when I get annoyed I have a dendency to become very combative and the holiday is just not the time or place to go there and believe it would have. So I just shook my head at them like in pitty because as of now my hair is thriving and the longest it's ever been in my entire life. But most ironic part is my mother is currently suffering alopiecia really bad to the piont 75% is almost gone. And my sister chop hers off due to serious damage (and she's a professional stylist sheesh go figure) And get this she thinks the only way us 4/b or 4/z's can get waist legnth is to get dreadloc's crazy ain't it? And even when I tried to help my mother beacause it break's my heart to see her like that and I know it's killing her as well she just dismisses me because she think all of us on here is just obessed with hair and chasing a dream that will never happend. She really don't believe that black women can grow long beautiful hair she even till this day argues that most women with long hair haves weaves when we are out. And half do be their hair trust I can spot a weave no matter how well it's done miles away. Being that I still install others in sometimes as a side hustle and I do them very well.

My mom can be the same way at times. My sister's a little more open-minded, I'm having her use the products I'm using. My mom though, she's been a skeptic for years on end. I heard her say all black men should marry white women and all black women should marry white men. I don't even want to know what she meant. She discovered ORS Paks only 2 weeks ago and couldn't stop touching her hair, so I guess there is some hope. Keyword being some.

IMHO, most of that generation really don't want to hear what we think when it comes to hair. I don't think that's fine, but at the same time, I don't really blame them. They have a different mentality than us. Most of our parents are of the "Press N Curl" generation. Imagine trying to teach our moms about Ayurveda lol. I think the best thing we can do is teach the generations to come and hopefully it becomes a widespread thing. I hope I live to see that day, when the short-hair/"it's a weave" stereotype is eradicated.

Last edited:
I MISSED THIS THREAD I AM OFTEN CONFUSED FOR OTHER ....BUT MOM,DAD GRAND AND GREAT GRANDPARENTS BLACK!!!!

NOW HERES WHERE IT GETS TRICKY

I ALWAYS HAD MID BACK OR LONGER ....BUT NO ONE ELSE IN MY FAMILY DID SOOOO I GUESS IT IS NOT GENES MY

HAIR WAS MIDBACK TO WAIST ...WHEN IT WAS NATURAL THEN IT WAS DOWN HILL FROW THERE BROKE OFF NECK TO SL

IT IS APL NOW RELAXED BUT I THINK BUT I THINK THAT IT IS BC OF PROPER CARE, LESS DIRECT HEAT AND I THING I WILL BIG CHOP ONCE I HAVE AT LEAST THREE TO FOUR INCHES OF NEW GROWTH AND KEEP IT BRAIDED WEAVES ETC TO GROW IT OUT
AND KEEP MANIPULATION LOW
***MY HAIR WAS ITS HEALTHIEST WHEN IT WAS NATURAL*****

Back