Oh Lord, Black Love Will Keep You Broke

I don’t know them IRL but they exist. Jessiewoo started a IG post the other day about women not paying for dates even if they initiate and did the hurt dogs bark? I’m still getting tagged on my response from like Sunday and all I said was why are women asking men out on dates in the first place? All these women like “What if he can’t afford it?” Then he needs to go to work, he don’t have time to date.
Listen! Don't get me started...

Sad....I haven't watched enough of his movies to know, but this is sad.

Yep, and BW are his primary audience, I believe. So even if they're not deliberately seeking that message or noticing, that has to seep into your consciousness after awhile.

That viral post sounds so fake. The entire telenovela industry in Mexico is based on love stories with extreme class differences. Seriously, Univision, Telemundo, TeleFutura and AztecaAmerica would have virtually no programming without "rich girl or boy meets poor boy or girl" stories. :lol: And don't get me started on Spanish-language music! But the sentiment is reasonable... it just needs to be stated in a more truthful manner.

The other issue is that even though class differences have always been just as rigid in the United States as in most other societies, the fact that there is no hereditary royalty and that the occasional poor person manages to slip through and become incredibly wealthy, has led to this false notion that class does not matter in the U.S., encouraging this silly "love conquers all" mythology. Any honest look at history would show that isn't true, for example, all the robber-barons who essentially traded their daughters and some of their wealth for connections to broke European heirs with titles during the Gilded Age. Or all the entertainment industry people who only date among each other, etc.

It's in every Tyler Perry movie and social media argument about contemporary dating.
I refuse to watch his movies. And black women eat that mess up! They walk away feeling warm and fuzzy, giving them hope that Tyrone will get it together someday... unconditional love can be love from a distance. Lol we don’t have to accept intolerable conditions to prove we love someone. We can believe that people will do better and prayer for them. We don’t have to get involved in that. BW will get it soon. I believe we are becoming tired. And soon will be sick of being sick and tired. That’s when change happens.

Back