Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Hey Ladies

I relaxed on saturday at 11 weeks I couldnt take it any more. While I did grow some its not what I was expecting. DH said the longest part of my hair is APL but that I still have a long way to go bc I dont wanna claim it like that. Im hoping the next time I relax I will get there its so hard and I feel like Im never gonna get there:sad:

I will post pics soon DH is out and about so I have no one to take pics.

Hey girl! Been missing you!:yep: Don't worry, you will get there next relaxer and even though you are technically there, I admire you for not wanting to claim like that...Look at how far you hair has come in health and thickness and length!!! Your starting pic was shoulder length!! And it's only going to get better from here!!!:yep:

how do i get to the original newbie challenge..i wanna join :sad:

Yay! Go to this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=194209

Introduce yourself and post a starting pic and your goals. It's that easy!!! The first of every month, we update with pics and progress to our goals (and any new goals if we have them)
Make sure you subscribe to the thread so you can find it easily. (Under Thread Tools on the middle/right of the Thread Menu bar). Another trick is that each time you sign into the forum, you can click User CP (on the far left of the forum menu bar) and it will show you all of your subscribed threads and which ones have been active within the last few hours. When you go into that thread, if there's something you haven't read yet, just click View First Unread (on the far left of the thread menu bar) and it will take you to the last spot you left off at. HTH!
Welcome! I'm sure I'll see you in the other thread. I post in that one as well!!:grin:

Hey Ladies

I relaxed on saturday at 11 weeks I couldnt take it any more. While I did grow some its not what I was expecting. DH said the longest part of my hair is APL but that I still have a long way to go bc I dont wanna claim it like that. Im hoping the next time I relax I will get there its so hard and I feel like Im never gonna get there:sad:

Congrats on the stretch girl...can't wait to see the pics!!!

Hey Ladies

Congrats on stretching 11 weeks!!!!! I pray i can do that one day. And i felt like that last time i relaxed. I was for sure i would have APL by June, but i'm far from it. You just have to keep at it. Your hair has really made good progress PRetty so keep up the good work.

With these ponytails I did notice some crimping. Usually when I don't notice any. After I wrapped the hair the crimps were gone. I use those black elatic bands like these

Attachments

• 32268-32269.jpg
    32268-32269.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2
With these ponytails I did notice some crimping. Usually when I don't notice any. After I wrapped the hair the crimps were gone. I use those black elatic bands like these

ok, cool ! i'ma try it 'cause this airdrying is making my hair like straw...

Hello Ladies :curtain:

I'm checking in ....this week I henna'd/2CW/used Alter Ego as DC & leave in...finished w/Sabino Moisture Block....blow dried & flat ironed. First, I did not get my hair as straight as I wanted :violin: but it feels moisturized and smooth. I know I need a better flat iron. Next time I am gonna rollerset first then flat iron. My hair will not hold a curl either.

Anyway, my roots & hair have not reverted :clapping::clapping:and that is a good thing. (I am also gonna get a trim as soon as I can track my sister down.)

I am almost forgot...I henna'd for 3 hours. I usually only henna for 1 hour. It really made a difference. My hair looks and feels thicker!!!:yep:

Hey ladies do you have any recommendations for a reasonably priced flat iron that heats up to at least 425 degrees.

5-29-08Dd.jpg

I'm checking in ....this week I henna'd/2CW/used Alter Ego as DC & leave in...finished w/Sabino Moisture Block....blow dried & flat ironed. First, I did not get my hair as straight as I wanted :violin: but it feels moisturized and smooth. I know I need a better flat iron. Next time I am gonna rollerset first then flat iron. My hair will not hold a curl either.

Anyway, my roots & hair have not reverted :clapping::clapping:and that is a good thing. (I am also gonna get a trim as soon as I can track my sister down.)

I am almost forgot...I henna'd for 3 hours. I usually only henna for 1 hour. It really made a difference. My hair looks and feels thicker!!!:yep:

Hey ladies do you have any recommendations for a reasonably priced flat iron that heats up to at least 425 degrees.

5-29-08Dd.jpg

KLO, I can definitely see a change in your hair. The henna is doing its job! :yep: I'm clueless when it comes to flat irons, but I'm sure one of the other ladies will chime in with some info.

Ok, Ladies, I'm sticking to my word (so far anyway). I did the airdry thing Saturday night into Sunday and my hair came out great. I just forgot how dang on hard those rollers could be to sleep in. But hey what's a girl to do......I guess it's true when they say pain before beauty....:lachen::lachen::lachen:, is that how the saying goes :lachen::lachen::lachen:?

:lachen: ITA.

btw, has anyone else felt like the weather's been affecting air-drying hair? Or is it just me?

Hey Ladies

I feel your frustration! But you did great on your stretch and your longest part is at APL? Shoot, wish I was there :drunk:. I'm going to my mom's hairstylist tomorrow (Friday) so I'll have updates/pics by Saturday at the latest.

5-29-08Dd.jpg

Lovely as always, KLo! The flat iron will make a difference as Sabino says you are supposed to see smoke when flat ironing using the MB.:look: (Not sure if I trust that or not, but you do have to ask, what's worse pulling it through your hair several times with a lower heat or just once at the higher heat setting?...IDK) I am anxiously awaiting my SMB as well...

I like my Sedu, but it depends on what's reasonably priced to you...I think you are gonna have to spend about $100 to get a good ceramic iron...

5-29-08Dd.jpg

check out www.folica.com Klo. They have a variety of CHI, FHI, Solia.etc. You can also check out linens 'n' things website for a Maxiglide. I think they're 75. If u want something cheaper, Sally's has a generic iron that is supposed to be similiar to a CHI.

ETA: I have a Maxiglide and FHI and they're both good imo. A Chi is also a great iron. If you see one that you like but may not be in your price range, see if ebay has it. They carry a wide range of irons for a cheaper price.

Last edited:
:lachen: ITA.

btw, has anyone else felt like the weather's been affecting air-drying hair? Or is it just me?

Affecting it how Galadriel? The air has been making my hair dry much quicker, but its also more dry, so i have to up my moisture when i air dry or its very dry, and i also have color so thats another drying effect. The extra moisture has been making it much better though, because this summer air is very drying.

Hey girl! Been missing you!:yep: Don't worry, you will get there next relaxer and even though you are technically there, I admire you for not wanting to claim like that...Look at how far you hair has come in health and thickness and length!!! Your starting pic was shoulder length!! And it's only going to get better from here!!!:yep:

Thanx FM Ive been missing you all sooo much. My job is kicking my butt by the time I get home I am beat but I did not forget about all my dear ladies how can I and you're right I dont wanna be ungrateful bc I did come a long way. Thanx girl you always know what to say

I feel your frustration! But you did great on your stretch and your longest part is at APL? Shoot, wish I was there :drunk:. I'm going to my mom's hairstylist tomorrow (Friday) so I'll have updates/pics by Saturday at the latest.

Girl we'll get there. I just so scared that with my job I hardly have time to tend to my hair but Im trying very hard to keep up with my hair care

Affecting it how Galadriel? The air has been making my hair dry much quicker, but its also more dry, so i have to up my moisture when i air dry or its very dry, and i also have color so thats another drying effect. The extra moisture has been making it much better though, because this summer air is very drying.

see?! that's what i don't understand. :perplexed Why is air-drying making your hair feel drier? i thought it was supposed to be better for your hair, but i keep having to add a bunch of things after i air dry to combat the crunchiness. I never had to do this when I roller set, maybe just added something a day or two after for shine , but never for moisture. It's harder to comb and everything. my hair felt much better with heat.:ohwell: if i wasn't wearing it up 95% of the time, i would be dropping out of this no heat challenge with the quickness...:blush:

Girl we'll get there. I just so scared that with my job I hardly have time to tend to my hair but Im trying very hard to keep up with my hair care

girl, just wash and/or dc once a week, do a protective style, cover at night and go-on on:yep:....don't stress about it...you will be pleasantly surprised when you get back into the hair thing if you just do the bare basics right now:yep: ...

Congrats on stretching 11 weeks!!!!! I pray i can do that one day. And i felt like that last time i relaxed. I was for sure i would have APL by June, but i'm far from it. You just have to keep at it. Your hair has really made good progress PRetty so keep up the good work.

Thanx Fiya.... I guess its true what they say that getting to APL is the hardest and Im seeing that and its getting me so angry but Im still pleased with the overall state of my hair so I have to be thankful

see?! that's what i don't understand. :perplexed Why is air-drying making your hair feel drier? i thought it was supposed to be better for your hair, but i keep having to add a bunch of things after i air dry to combat the crunchiness. I never had to do this when I roller set, maybe just added something a day or two after for shine , but never for moisture. It's harder to comb and everything. my hair felt much better with heat.:ohwell: if i wasn't wearing it up 95% of the time, i would be dropping out of this no heat challenge with the quickness...:blush:

I agree. I only air dry when i do roller sets. I tried just air drying today and i hate it FM, so i doubt i'll be doing it again. I just have to chalk it up that my hair likes heat. Its better to manage, and i have hardly as many tangles.

Thanx Fiya.... I guess its true what they say that getting to APL is the hardest and Im seeing that and its getting me so angry but Im still pleased with the overall state of my hair so I have to be thankful

Exactly. I think APL is the hardest to conquer. I'm moving it from July to November, so maybe i'll have it by then. And i have to be thankful as well because my hair is healthy.

I agree. I only air dry when i do roller sets. I tried just air drying today and i hate it FM, so i doubt i'll be doing it again. I just have to chalk it up that my hair likes heat. Its better to manage, and i have hardly as many tangles.

Ok, now your scaring me about airdrying :lachen::lachen:. Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to get out of sleeping with those hard :moon: rollers. Man, I don't know if I can do this 3 times a week for 2 1/2 months.

Also, I noticed that my hair isn't dry in the morning, what am I doing wrong????? My hair dryer is looking at me like :nono:....it's calling my name, I'm going to give it the good ole he ho, but I'm almost heeed out :lachen::lachen:

Exactly. I think APL is the hardest to conquer. I'm moving it from July to November, so maybe i'll have it by then. And i have to be thankful as well because my hair is healthy.

Fiya, girl.....aint this the truth. My initial goal for APL was 8/31 but I have now moved it back to the end of the year. I am becoming soooooooooo obsessed with my hair, this month alone the number of pictures I've taken of my hair is greater than the amount I have taken for the entire time since I started my journey back in January, and I've been taking a few every month. Lately, every day I'm watching it, and my mother has some ole school saying about a watched pot never boils, but that is at the back of my mind :lachen::lachen:.

Keep the faith ladies, we'll get there, or I'll kill myself first :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ok, now your scaring me about airdrying :lachen::lachen:. Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to get out of sleeping with those hard :moon: rollers. Man, I don't know if I can do this 3 times a week for 2 1/2 months.

Also, I noticed that my hair isn't dry in the morning, what am I doing wrong????? My hair dryer is looking at me like :nono:....it's calling my name, I'm going to give it the good ole he ho, but I'm almost heeed out :lachen::lachen:

lol, yeah, air drying isn't for everyone. I like doing rollersets more than just drying my hair. And FindingMe made a good suggestion of using cool air instead of heat with your dryer. That way you won't be using heat but your hair will dry quicker.

Fiya, girl.....aint this the truth. My initial goal for APL was 8/31 but I have now moved it back to the end of the year. I am becoming soooooooooo obsessed with my hair, this month alone the number of pictures I've taken of my hair is greater than the amount I have taken for the entire time since I started my journey back in January, and I've been taking a few every month. Lately, every day I'm watching it, and my mother has some ole school saying about a watched pot never boils, but that is at the back of my mind :lachen::lachen:.

Keep the faith ladies, we'll get there, or I'll kill myself first :lachen::lachen::lachen:

lol, amen!!!!!!!! I think if i just leave my hair alone it'll be okay, but its hard!!!!! And when i detangle, i'm counting loss hairs and seeing whether its breakage or shedding,lol. Its getting crazy Bign! I'll shoot for July, but if i don't get it by November,lol, i'll lose my mind!!!!! :lachen:

Lovely as always, KLo! The flat iron will make a difference as Sabino says you are supposed to see smoke when flat ironing using the MB.:look: (Not sure if I trust that or not, but you do have to ask, what's worse pulling it through your hair several times with a lower heat or just once at the higher heat setting?...IDK) I am anxiously awaiting my SMB as well...

I like my Sedu, but it depends on what's reasonably priced to you...I think you are gonna have to spend about $100 to get a good ceramic iron...

I'm going to Sally's to see what they have :sekret: ...I don't think I can wait to order...I willing to use a "HOT" flat iron once to see the outcome.

I am happy with my air dry rollerset...I still need to work on my braid out and straight hair. ..1 down 2 to go :yep::yep::yep:

5-29-08Dd.jpg

Hey Klo...your hair looks to be MBL!!!!

hey ladies! Just checking in....

Guess what?

I'm wearing a phoney pony (bunned) today!!! My ends are baggyed underneath! I'm very proud of myself. Usually I would've cut my hair by now. The in between is hard but now that I can bun, the home stretch should be a piece of cake. My coworkers were very complimentary. They said I look like a baby doll. :grin:

I know, y'all wanna see pics...I'll TRY to post one. I haven't figured out how to paste a pic into a post yet.

ETA: I ordered a UPA clip...:spinning:...can't wait to try it out. I think I'll bun and pony all summer...a kind of personal challenge! :yep:

Last edited:
hey ladies! Just checking in....

Guess what?

I'm wearing a phoney pony (bunned) today!!! My ends are baggyed underneath! I'm very proud of myself. Usually I would've cut my hair by now. The in between is hard but now that I can bun, the home stretch should be a piece of cake. My coworkers were very complimentary. They said I look like a baby doll. :grin:

I know, y'all wanna see pics...I'll TRY to post one. I haven't figured out how to paste a pic into a post yet.

Yay! You're making awesome progress...and oh yes, we do want to see pics :grin:.

Back