Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Morning all:hiya:I've read thru all the pages and I'm all caught up(whew). This week I roller set...2 ponytails/2 curlers each ...let it dry over night(like Fiya :yep:)....my hair is soft and bouncy :amen:. I used Alter Ago as a leave in. It was fast and easy.

FM how's that steam treating ya ?

Spill the beans ladies...What's up with the Moisture Block ?

Galadriel that trim is looking good!!!:grin:

5-15-08A.jpg

I :heart2: my banana clip :werd:

WOW..JUST WOW....:grin:

That looks soooo good! Look at all that fullness, shine and body! Girl, you are an experimenting fool! :lachen:

What's Moisture Block? Why would one want to block moisture?

yes, Galadriel's trim is looking good! Very full and healthy from root to tip.

Good Morning Ladies ,

This is week 2 w/no heat :yep:...I henna'd/3 CW/HE LTR leave in/ponytail roller set w/4 ponytails...it took 24 hrs to dry :oops:....the last time I used Alter Ego and my hair was complete dry overnight....next time I will water down the LTR or try another leave in in my stash ...LTR was way too thick . Anyway...when it was dry my hair felt smooth & moisturized...you know it..I brushed it back into a ponytail.
5-21-08Bb.jpg

5-21-08A.jpg

Girl, your hair is stunning. Simply put. :yep: The changes are working! It looks so full and thick! What do you think is causing it to thicken (or appear thicker)? The henna?

BTW, you like LTR? I have a bottle I'm willing to give you for free (you just pay for shipping)....I don't care for it so much. It works well but it's too perfumey for me.

WOW..JUST WOW....:grin:

That looks soooo good! Look at all that fullness, shine and body! Girl, you are an experimenting fool! :lachen:

What's Moisture Block? Why would one want to block moisture?

yes, Galadriel's trim is looking good! Very full and healthy from root to tip.
Girl it's sad but true...I can't help myself. I'll try almost anything once. I bought Moisture Block this morning... there's a long thread about it on the forum ....but, the short answer is it seals moisture in the hair and keeps external moisture from making your hair revert when you flat iron. Here's the thread.
WOW.... Sabino Moisture Block video on YouTube

Last edited:
Girl, your hair is stunning. Simply put. :yep: The changes are working! It looks so full and thick! What do you think is causing it to thicken (or appear thicker)? The henna?

BTW, you like LTR? I have a bottle I'm willing to give you for free (you just pay for shipping)....I don't care for it so much. It works well but it's too perfumey for me.

Thank you so much Daephae:yep:

I think it's the henna and the airdrying that's making it look thicker...I don't know if the LTR is gonna stay in rotation....it took fo'eva to dry because it was so thick.

I can't wait to hear how it worked for you.
I'll let you know. I t has a money back guarantee :yep:...I have no problem mailing it back :pity: that gives me a guarantee :lachen:..it won't be the first time I mailed a product back. My hair is natural and when I flat iron it lasts 1 or 2 days(that's it !)

Good Morning Ladies ,

This is week 2 w/no heat :yep:...I henna'd/3 CW/HE LTR leave in/ponytail roller set w/4 ponytails...it took 24 hrs to dry :oops:....the last time I used Alter Ego and my hair was completely dry overnight....next time I will water down the LTR or try another leave in in my stash ...LTR was way too thick . Anyway...when it was dry my hair felt smooth & moisturized...you know it..I brushed it back into a ponytail.
5-21-08Bb.jpg

Your hair looks great Klo!!!!!!!!! Wow @ 24 hours!!!!!! less is definitely best when air drying,lol. I learned that the hard way. But it turned out fabulous. I want to go without heat. Maybe i need to join a challenge, because i won't make it alone.

Good Morning Ladies ,

This is week 2 w/no heat :yep:...I henna'd/3 CW/HE LTR leave in/ponytail roller set w/4 ponytails...it took 24 hrs to dry :oops:....the last time I used Alter Ego and my hair was completely dry overnight....next time I will water down the LTR or try another leave in in my stash ...LTR was way too thick . Anyway...when it was dry my hair felt smooth & moisturized...you know it..I brushed it back into a ponytail.
5-21-08Bb.jpg

5-21-08A.jpg

:notworthy Klo!!!! Your hair is doing "the darn thing" :woot:Looking at your hair now and from when we started it's definitely looking much thicker I am sitting here :love3:

I was looking at what you said about air drying. I use to air dry a while ago in Pre LHCF days, but I would wake up in the morning and my hair would still be wet so i just gave it up:giveup: but what you said make since if you put on a thick leave-in that could take longer to dry. I think I'm going to give it another try, especially since my reg has changed up.

I have been using a mix of Motion silk protein and Cholesterol or Elasta QP Remoisturizer. I was trying to do a protein and moisturizing deep conditioning all at once. I also use Mane and Tail conditioner as a leave in. I've been noticing that I really don't have the little broken hairs anymore. I shed the long ones, which I still hate to see go. Is the Silk Protein a good protein conditioner? I just went out and bought CPR. I heard it was a protein conditioner to. I haven't used any heat in my hair since October of last year, apart from at the salon for the ponytail that one time. I notice everyones hair here is so sleek and shiny. Can I get that look without the heat?

Thanks Fiya & Bign. :grouphug:

Bign I urge you to give the airdrying rollerset a try....you might be pleasantly suprised with results.

I have been using a mix of Motion silk protein and Cholesterol or Elasta QP Remoisturizer. I was trying to do a protein and moisturizing deep conditioning all at once. I also use Mane and Tail conditioner as a leave in. I've been noticing that I really don't have the little broken hairs anymore. I shed the long ones, which I still hate to see go. Is the Silk Protein a good protein conditioner? I just went out and bought CPR. I heard it was a protein conditioner to. I haven't used any heat in my hair since October of last year, apart from at the salon for the ponytail that one time. I notice everyones hair here is so sleek and shiny. Can I get that look without the heat?

Hi Leona...I'm glad that you seem to have found a solution for the breakage. That's great. I like silk protein the best for my hair...but I'm protein sensitive. My hair does not respond well to heavy protein. I think the silk is gentle. (This is my theory...I have no hard facts :grin:)...I thought CPR was a treatment like Aphoghee...I could be wrong though. Be careful using it if you're not sure.

You should be congratulated for laying off the heat! I'm a heat misfit. I'll probably use heat until my hair gets long enough to airdry. I'll probably still use heat then as well. If no heat is working for you, you should stick with it. Your hair looks healthy.:yep:

Thanks Fiya & Bign. :grouphug:

Bign I urge you to give the airdrying rollerset a try....you might be pleasantly suprised with results.

You're welcome klo. And I agree with Klo Bign, i would try air drying again. sometimes, i help it out if its still wet in the morning by using indirect heat. There's nothing wrong with doing that either. It does take a while, but i normally set it before bed and sleep while its drying.

I think after my next relaxer, i'm going to try to go without heat for a month doing these rollersets. I think i've gotten the hang of them now and i love how they turn out.

You're welcome klo. And I agree with Klo Bign, i would try air drying again. sometimes, i help it out if its still wet in the morning by using indirect heat. There's nothing wrong with doing that either. It does take a while, but i normally set it before bed and sleep while its drying.

I think after my next relaxer, i'm going to try to go without heat for a month doing these rollersets. I think i've gotten the hang of them now and i love how they turn out.
Fiya,
When I airdry I use a large triangular hair net to keep my rollers in. What do you use ?

Leona,
Your ponytail rollersets look sleek & smooth. I don't know what else you can do w/o heat but maybe if you do a silk wrap(limited heat for 10 minutes) after the rollerset it might give you what you are looking for.

Fiya,
When I airdry I use a large triangular hair net to keep my rollers in. What do you use ?

I either use my sheer Hair bonnet, or i use a satin wrap. I use the sheer bonnet more often because it helps to dry faster. I once went to bed without anything on. lol, i had rollers all over the bed when i woke up:lachen:. So i won't be trying that again!!!!

I either use my sheer Hair bonnet, or i use a satin wrap. I use the sheer bonnet more often because it helps to dry faster. I once went to bed without anything on. lol, i had rollers all over the bed when i woke up:lachen:. So i won't be trying that again!!!!

Thanks ladies for the vote of confidence, I may do the same thing Fiya. I relaxed my hair tonight and am going to sleep with my KeraCare Humecto overnight so I will have to rollerset with heat in the morning. But I think I'm going to follow your lead and rollerset without heat until my next relaxer and see what happens. This time I stretched my relaxer for 10 weeks, maybe I'll try for 12 depending upon how this air drying goes I don't want to try to do too many things to my hair at once.

Question, if I air dry I can eliminate adding any heat protector with my leave in....right?

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for the vote of confidence, I may do the same thing Fya. I relaxed my hair tonight and am going to sleep with my KeraCare Humecto overnight so I will have to rollerset with heat in the morning. But I think I'm going to follow your lead and rollerset without heat until my next relaxer and see what happens. This time I stretched my relaxer for 10 weeks, maybe I'll try for 12 depending upon how this air drying goes I don't want to try to do too many things to my hair at once.

Question, if I air dry I can eliminate adding any heat protector with my leave in....right?
Congrats on the stretch :up: Yes, you can eliminate the heat protectant.

Thanks ladies for the vote of confidence, I may do the same thing Fiya. I relaxed my hair tonight and am going to sleep with my KeraCare Humecto overnight so I will have to rollerset with heat in the morning. But I think I'm going to follow your lead and rollerset without heat until my next relaxer and see what happens. This time I stretched my relaxer for 10 weeks, maybe I'll try for 12 depending upon how this air drying goes I don't want to try to do too many things to my hair at once.

Yes, the heat protector can go.

Thanks, ladies - I'm gonna try to airdry soon...:grin:

KLo, have you posted on the Sabino Moisture Block yet? I'm curious about it...I sent for some free samples...

Thanks, ladies - I'm gonna try to airdry soon...:grin:

KLo, have you posted on the Sabino Moisture Block yet? I'm curious about it...I sent for some free samples...

Yes I have posted on the SMB. I bought some 2 days ago...I couldn't wait for samples :lachen::lachen::lachen:.

Go on and give the air drying a try you might really like it.

Ok, Ladies, I'm sticking to my word (so far anyway). I did the airdry thing Saturday night into Sunday and my hair came out great. I just forgot how dang on hard those rollers could be to sleep in. But hey what's a girl to do......I guess it's true when they say pain before beauty....:lachen::lachen::lachen:, is that how the saying goes :lachen::lachen::lachen:?

Ok, Ladies, I'm sticking to my word (so far anyway). I did the airdry thing Saturday night into Sunday and my hair came out great. I just forgot how dang on hard those rollers could be to sleep in. But hey what's a girl to do......I guess it's true when they say pain before beauty....:lachen::lachen::lachen:, is that how the saying goes :lachen::lachen::lachen:?

Girl, you deserve a medal!!:notworthyI tried to sleep on rollers and I ended up pulling them out and bunning my hair at like 2 am!!:lachen:It was a mess...rollers all over the doggone floor- I was so mad I was popping them things out :whyme:and I think one hit my dog 'casue he yelped :blush: and I have come to the conclusion that air drying is not for me. I do have an older hood dryer, though that blows cool air (it's a wig setting:lachen:), so I am going to use that to cheat a little...it's still no direct heat, right, its just cool air blowing, right, so technically I am still doing my challenge, right?...:look:

:dance7:Git it girl!!!:dance7:

@ Bign, yay!!!!!!! I'm glad the air drying worked for you. I plan on doing it this week. I pray it looks okay, my new growth is taking on a mind of its on,lol. But Whoo hoo!!!!!!!

@ FM, i guess i've become immune to it because the rollers don't bother me anymore. And i would think the cool air is just as good. Its not hot so its not heat. just air to dry the hair quicker.

Girl, you deserve a medal!!:notworthyI tried to sleep on rollers and I ended up pulling them out and bunning my hair at like 2 am!!:lachen:It was a mess...rollers all over the doggone floor- I was so mad I was popping them things out :whyme:and I think one hit my dog 'casue he yelped :blush: and I have come to the conclusion that air drying is not for me. I do have an older hood dryer, though that blows cool air (it's a wig setting:lachen:), so I am going to use that to cheat a little...it's still no direct heat, right, its just cool air blowing, right, so technically I am still doing my challenge, right?...:look:

Hey Girlie

Did those rollers give you a "hard" time ? Is it possible that you can set your hair in the morning and let it air dry until the evening...then you won't have to sleep on the rollers. Like they say...there's more than 1 way to skin a cat!!! ( try not to visualize ) :lachen:

Hey ladies. I usually airdry on the purple and green magnetic rollers, but this weekend I did 6 pony tails and set my hair on 6 large pink rollers. It dried much faster than usual and afterwards I did my own take on the cross wrap. My hair came out so straight and soft. Full of body. Also I thought I had a lot of split ends, but then my sister showed me what they actually look like because I had never seen them and I don't. My hair just grows uneven. I don't think I'll get a trim until I'm just past my goal length of bra strap or mid back length. I have some growth now and my hair is a lot lot healthier.

Hey ladies. I usually airdry on the purple and green magnetic rollers, but this weekend I did 6 pony tails and set my hair on 6 large pink rollers. It dried much faster than usual and afterwards I did my own take on the cross wrap. My hair came out so straight and soft. Full of body. Also I thought I had a lot of split ends, but then my sister showed me what they actually look like because I had never seen them and I don't. My hair just grows uneven. I don't think I'll get a trim until I'm just past my goal length of bra strap or mid back length. I have some growth now and my hair is a lot lot healthier.

Hey, leona! I keep wanting to try this ponytail rollerset. Did you have crimps in your hair from the ponytails? What did you use to make your ponytails?

Hey Ladies

I relaxed on saturday at 11 weeks I couldnt take it any more. While I did grow some its not what I was expecting. DH said the longest part of my hair is APL but that I still have a long way to go bc I dont wanna claim it like that. Im hoping the next time I relax I will get there its so hard and I feel like Im never gonna get there:sad:

I will post pics soon DH is out and about so I have no one to take pics.

Back