Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Its the first of the month and we know that means pics time so here is mine

relaxer5-24001-1-1.jpg

Congrats to PRetty and Galadriel. You ladies are so close its not even funny. your progress is amazing. I'm not relaxing until the 13th so i'll put up a length shot then. I'll post my current hair do later on today.

Good Morning Ladies :hiya3:

I'd multi quote but I keep ending up w/a double post :lachen:

Pr3tty great progress :yep: your hair is soo healthy & shiny !!!!:love: It's growing gurrrrl :thumbsup:

Galadriel...Oooooo Looking Good!!! Thick & LUSCIOUS!!!! Keep up the good work :waytogo:

OK ladies...Y'all gonna make me take off my tshirt and put on my bra (you know I got BF issues)...I am unclear on what MBL is....I always thought it was 1/2 way btwn the bottom of bra strap and waist....help a sista get clarity.

Last edited:
I don't have any real progress, but I will post my pics. They look just like the previous ones I took. My hair is feeling strong and healthy and I'm so glad for all the support here. I've been trying out IC Fantasy Hair Gloss and ORS hair gloss for shine. I added CPR into my routine. I have to go get a another jar of queen Helene's cholesterol conditioner. It's the base for all my mixes because I love to mix conditioners together, lol. All the ladies here have beautiful hair. My goal is now for MBL hair and after that I don't think I want it any longer. How long do you guys think it'll take to get to MBL? IS it doable by the end of this year?
p_00091.jpg
p_00092.jpg

p_00093.jpg

Congrats to PRetty and Galadriel. You ladies are so close its not even funny. your progress is amazing. I'm not relaxing until the 13th so i'll put up a length shot then. I'll post my current hair do later on today.

Thanks Fiya! It makes me so glad that I found this site. :yep:

Good Morning Ladies :hiya3:

I'd multi quote but I keep ending up w/a double post :lachen:

Pr3tty great progress :yep: your hair is soo healthy & shiny !!!!:love: It's growing gurrrrl :thumbsup:

Galadriel...Oooooo Looking Good!!! Thick & LUSCIOUS!!!! Keep up the good work :waytogo:

OK ladies...Y'all gonna make me take off my tshirt and put on my bra (you know I got BF issues)...I am unclear on what MBL is....I always thought it was 1/2 way btwn the bottom of bra strap and waist....help a sista get clarity.

Klo, thank you for the compliment! As for MBL, I once read that it was 2 in. past bra strap, but I'm just as confused.

Ladies I finally got DH to take a pic and he only took 1 while running thru the door so its in my sig. I think I may have thought I had less length than I actually do now that I can see it from the back

OMG!!!! Pr3tty!!!!! YOu are doggone near there at APL!!!! Your hair is gorgeous!!!!! LOOK AT HOW IT HAS GROWN!!!!! OMG...I am speechless!!:lick:

Ok, got my most recent update pics today. I'm so close to APL it's not even funny. I went to my mom's hairstylist, who did an awesome job. When I asked her if I was "at armpit length yet" she went, "What?" and started laughing. I told her that my goal was to grow my hair to APL (I'm always trying to sneak in some LHCF terminology :lachen:). She told me I will definitely be APL soon, provided I don't have any set backs. She gave me a nice dusting (she doesn't call it dusting, but that's what she does, I'm going to keep slipping in that terminology) and I love the results. I was really bummed lately because I had to correct a recent problem where my hair was stripped and really dry :wallbash:. My hair is just now getting over it and more than ever I want to throw my hair into cornrows/braids for a month or two. I'm glad I can come here and get input, support, and advice from you ladies. It REALLY makes a difference! :yep:

Oh, and please excuse the crooked zing :lachen:. I was in a rush.

OMG!!! My sisters, look at ya'll! I cannot say how pretty your hair is Galadriel! :grin: And transitioning, too with two different textures. OMG!!! SOOOOOOOO pretty! YOu are basically at APL as well. Hairzings rock, don't they?!!! Gotta love them!!

I don't have any real progress, but I will post my pics. They look just like the previous ones I took. My hair is feeling strong and healthy and I'm so glad for all the support here. I've been trying out IC Fantasy Hair Gloss and ORS hair gloss for shine. I added CPR into my routine. I have to go get a another jar of queen Helene's cholesterol conditioner. It's the base for all my mixes because I love to mix conditioners together, lol. All the ladies here have beautiful hair. My goal is now for MBL hair and after that I don't think I want it any longer. How long do you guys think it'll take to get to MBL? IS it doable by the end of this year?

Girl, TOOO PRETTY!!! I am just amazed at us newbies! Look at us!!! Leona, I think anything is possible...:yep: My hair has a growth spurt during the hot months, so I am expecting a little length gain from that, you are maybe 3 inches from MBL, I think? Could be more or less, but I definitely think you can get 3 inches by the end of the year with no trimming or dusting:yep: Just beautiful!:grin:

Attached are my lame pics (compared to everyone else's:lachen:) for the month. I am in the 4 month no heat challenge, so I haven't been wearing my hair down, just up in buns and airdrying (still trying to figure that one out...), but I have been getting creative with my hair using no heat, so here are some styles I am rockin this month using Flexi8's and hairzings...

Attachments

• 100_5181 com.JPG
    100_5181 com.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5200com.JPG
    100_5200com.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5209 com.JPG
    100_5209 com.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 8
Ok, got my most recent update pics today. I'm so close to APL it's not even funny. I went to my mom's hairstylist, who did an awesome job. When I asked her if I was "at armpit length yet" she went, "What?" and started laughing. I told her that my goal was to grow my hair to APL (I'm always trying to sneak in some LHCF terminology :lachen:). She told me I will definitely be APL soon, provided I don't have any set backs. She gave me a nice dusting (she doesn't call it dusting, but that's what she does, I'm going to keep slipping in that terminology) and I love the results. I was really bummed lately because I had to correct a recent problem where my hair was stripped and really dry :wallbash:. My hair is just now getting over it and more than ever I want to throw my hair into cornrows/braids for a month or two. I'm glad I can come here and get input, support, and advice from you ladies. It REALLY makes a difference! :yep:

Oh, and please excuse the crooked zing :lachen:. I was in a rush.

JuneUpdate.jpg

How did she do your hair? I want my roots straight like that when I wear mine down for the wedding!

Ok, Ladies here is my update pic. I did a trim on 5/4 because of major breakage I had and this pic was taken on 5/28 about a week after I relaxed

Newbie update pic 6=1.jpg

Wow, Bign, FM, Pr3tty, Galadriel (did I miss anyone?) your hair looks beautiful! :gorgeous: Great progress :D I don't know when/if I plan on relaxing, so there's no way to really show my length, (I haven't used heat since March) but when I stretch it (about 2-2.5 inches of NG) its definitely at the top of BSL. Growth has never been the issue for me though, its that retention I wrestle with :p Here ya go:

May:
DSC00107-1.jpg
June:
DSC00134-1.jpg

Disclaimer: That picture was taken about a week ago, I used it as my starting picture for the OT challenge. I didn't comb through my hair all that well, so bear with the scraggly ends. Objects in the camera aren't as THIN, as they might appear (lol).

Still working on the breakage issue, and still shedding so much. I just can't figure out what my hair LIKES. I'm not so much worried about the shedding, but these little hairs on the floor have got to go! I think I may just give up on the damp bun thing. My hair acts better when its smooth, so maybe I'll just do a rollerset ponytail, and see how that works...

I bought some garlic-flavored olive oil (for the shedding) from the supermarket last week, and used it for the first time last night, mixed with some cinnamon. It smelled sooo strong lol. DH was annoyed. Gotta use that stuff when he's not around next time :ohwell:

ETA: Omg, I just remembered a dream that I had last night (at least I'm hopeing that it was a dream!). I dreamed that I had sooo many splits, and as I examined one hair, I saw a split, splitting into another split! *goes off to examine her ends...*

Last edited:
Morenita you are using OCT? How long have you been using it and have you seen a lot of growth? Your hair is lovely.

OMG!!!! Pr3tty!!!!! YOu are doggone near there at APL!!!! Your hair is gorgeous!!!!! LOOK AT HOW IT HAS GROWN!!!!! OMG...I am speechless!!:lick:

OMG!!! My sisters, look at ya'll! I cannot say how pretty your hair is Galadriel! :grin: And transitioning, too with two different textures. OMG!!! SOOOOOOOO pretty! YOu are basically at APL as well. Hairzings rock, don't they?!!! Gotta love them!!

Girl, TOOO PRETTY!!! I am just amazed at us newbies! Look at us!!! Leona, I think anything is possible...:yep: My hair has a growth spurt during the hot months, so I am expecting a little length gain from that, you are maybe 3 inches from MBL, I think? Could be more or less, but I definitely think you can get 3 inches by the end of the year with no trimming or dusting:yep: Just beautiful!:grin:

Attached are my lame pics (compared to everyone else's:lachen:) for the month. I am in the 4 month no heat challenge, so I haven't been wearing my hair down, just up in buns and airdrying (still trying to figure that one out...), but I have been getting creative with my hair using no heat, so here are some styles I am rockin this month using Flexi8's and hairzings...

:peek2: Nothing lame about those pics....:heart2: those 'do's... FM you are transitioning in style w/no heat to boot!!! ...you got it goin' on :woohoo2:

Wow, Bign, FM, Pr3tty, Galadriel (did I miss anyone?) your hair looks beautiful! :gorgeous: Great progress :D I don't know when/if I plan on relaxing, so there's no way to really show my length, (I haven't used heat since March) but when I stretch it (about 2-2.5 inches of NG) its definitely at the top of BSL. Growth has never been the issue for me though, its that retention I wrestle with :p Here ya go:

May:
DSC00107-1.jpg
June:
DSC00134-1.jpg

Disclaimer: That picture was taken about a week ago, I used it as my starting picture for the OT challenge. I didn't comb through my hair all that well, so bear with the scraggly ends. Objects in the camera aren't as THIN, as they might appear (lol).

Still working on the breakage issue, and still shedding so much. I just can't figure out what my hair LIKES. I'm not so much worried about the shedding, but these little hairs on the floor have got to go! I think I may just give up on the damp bun thing. My hair acts better when its smooth, so maybe I'll just do a rollerset ponytail, and see how that works...

I bought some garlic-flavored olive oil (for the shedding) from the supermarket last week, and used it for the first time last night, mixed with some cinnamon. It smelled sooo strong lol. DH was annoyed. Gotta use that stuff when he's not around next time :ohwell:

ETA: Omg, I just remembered a dream that I had last night (at least I'm hopeing that it was a dream!). I dreamed that I had sooo many splits, and as I examined one hair, I saw a split, splitting into another split! *goes off to examine her ends...*

Girl, your hair grows like a weed! I swear I see 'bout two inches of growth there!!!! :grin: It looks GOOD!!!!!!:yep: I'll keep an eye out for anything related to shedding and I'll holla if I find anything- Great job!!!

:peek2: Nothing lame about those pics....:heart2: those 'do's... FM you are transitioning in style w/no heat to boot!!! ...you got it goin' on :woohoo2:

Thanks! (:lachen:Love this dude::woohoo2:) I am hoping for a big reveal at the end of the summer!!!

FM, your pics are not lame! I'm going to steal those styles! I have the most boring buns/updos :lachen:. Now that I have some inspiration, I can get creative. Beautiful hair, as always, FM :grin:.

Your hair is looking awesome :yep:. You'll definitely make MBL by the end of the year. Just keep taking care of it and keep retaining length.

May:
DSC00107-1.jpg
June:
DSC00134-1.jpg

Thanks Morenita...and your hair is VERY noticeably thicker and longer. Way to go! I can't wait to get that length. :yep:
I've been dealing with shedding and breakage too, so now when I co-wash I make sure to detangle in the shower under running water and with conditioner in my hair. I'm still searching for that perfect moisture/protein balance.

Btw, does anyone have any suggestions for a good thick, creamy leave-in conditioner? I love those.

Morenita you are using OCT? How long have you been using it and have you seen a lot of growth? Your hair is lovely.

Thank you! I actually just started using it last week, and while some people can see results after just one application, I'm just not that in-tune with my hair yet to see results so fast. I will definitely be able to tell come July though :)

Thanks Morenita...and your hair is VERY noticeably thicker and longer. Way to go! I can't wait to get that length. :yep:
I've been dealing with shedding and breakage too, so now when I co-wash I make sure to detangle in the shower under running water and with conditioner in my hair. I'm still searching for that perfect moisture/protein balance.

Btw, does anyone have any suggestions for a good thick, creamy leave-in conditioner? I love those.

Omg you think so? See, that's why I need yall, I didn't really notice much else besides a little length :p I'm always on the lookout for new products, so I'll keep an eye out for you and be sure to post if anything stands out. I will be soooo happy when I finally come up with my staple products so my dang-on bathroom cabinet can stop looking like a BSS! :nono:

Girl, your hair grows like a weed! I swear I see 'bout two inches of growth there!!!! :grin: It looks GOOD!!!!!!:yep: I'll keep an eye out for anything related to shedding and I'll holla if I find anything- Great job!!!

Thank you hun :D Your hair is gorgeous too. Got me wanting some hair zings :lick: (like I need to buy more stuff...)

Hi Ladies,

I went back and looked at our comparison pics and I have to say.....

I'M SO PROUD OF US!!!!!!:bouncegre :creatures:clapping:

WE all have had some great progress. I want to thank all of you, I feel like we've formed a bond with one another (we go and venture out on the boards, but we all seem to find our way back to this thread) and it's the support that we have been receiving from one another that has been and will continue to help us along with our journey's.

I'm so happy that I stopped at the original thread when I decided to start on my journey and joined this family :bighug:. (as I'm wiping a tear out the corner of my eye:cry3:):lachen::lachen:

May:
DSC00107-1.jpg
June:
DSC00134-1.jpg

Morenita,

I had this problem when I first joined this thread :yep:. My shedding/breaking was significantly reduced when I added moisturizing leave ins to my regi.(NTM & mango butter)

Morenita,

I had this problem when I first joined this thread :yep:. My shedding/breaking was significantly reduced when I added moisturizing leave ins to my regi.(NTM & mango butter)

Thanks Klo,

I actually do use leave-ins. If anything, I use too much lol. I use Cantu Shea butter, Elasta QP Mango Butter :love:, Carol's Daughter Hair Honey :infatuated: and seal with Keracare Essential Oils, or Grapeseed Oil, or that Pink Oil spray in stuff (their only good product). Can you tell I'm a PJ? Lol...

Part of me can't help but wonder if I'm getting breakage because of my last two relaxers. Like a dummy, the last two times I've relaxed, its been after a long stretch (+6 months). My previously relaxed hair had been reverting and I asked the stylist to pull it through to the ends. :nono:

Now that I am in my era of hair wisdom, I know that its really bad to do correctives over previously relaxed hair, and part of me feels that the correctives have weakened my hair and it just really needs to recover on its own. I will keep doing what I am doing, and just try to pay attention to where the breakage is happening. It just pains me to still see my hair falling out when I know how much I've improved my level of hair care...

Weird thing is that my hair is reverting again! Maybe she didn't leave it on very long... She's actually a decent sylist. She only dusts my ends, and she always insists that I sit under the dryer for a "body-wrap" (rollerset). Last time I went though, I had to get her to blowdry it because she overbooked (yeah, big surprise) and had me in there for hours while poor DH was at home with our newborn, not to mention the other two munchkins, and I had only left one bottle. :look:

I came here originally to mention something else, now I can't remember :rolleyes:. I'll be back if I do.

ETA: Ohh, now I remember :scratchch I wanted to say that amazingly enough, (well, maybe not so amazing) the reason why my hair has grown so much, is because of the frequent washing! I wash 2-3 times a week, usually 1 co-wash, 1 clarifying, and 1 with Keracare Hydrating/Detangling. My scalp likes to be clean apparently. It makes complete sense and I'm so mad I didn't reason this out on my own long, long ago. :hammer: It's a shame what laziness can do to you.

Last edited:
When I first decided to join I had a lot of breakage, too. I had never conditioned a day in my life and I moisturized maybe 2 times a month. I think my saving grace was that I was so lazy that I didn't do much to my hair. So I didn't really have heat damage or damage from coloring and stuff. I love love LOVE Elasta QP Mango butter. I thought my hair was in need of protein so that it would be strong and stop breaking, but what it really need was moisture. I moisturize twice a day with ORS moisturizing lotion and mango butter. I've been pulling the relaxers through to the ends for over 9 years. I didn't know I wasn't suppose to. I do my sister's hair too and she knew I wasn't suppose to and never said anything. :wallbash:When I relaxed her hair this time I was careful to just do her new growth. DO you know what she did when I was done? Went back and pulled it through her whole head anyway.:spike:

I thought my hair was in need of protein so that it would be strong and stop breaking, but what it really need was moisture.

I'm guilty of this also. I was using Pink Oil moisturizer and Keracare Essential Oils, thinking that was enough, along with Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo and conditioner (both have protein) and Cholesterol every now and again. It all has mineral oil (except the Keracare), and I never had a clarifying shampoo so you can just imagine... Then, I was using Infusium 23 with every wash, and that stuff has soo much protein. My hair was definitely breaking due to lack of moisture, and it still may be.

I just read Supagirl's (sp) thread on hair breakage (its in the stickys) and she recommends a few things I want to try, starting with the Mizani Nighttime treatment. I will move forward from there and keep you all posted!

I've been pulling the relaxers through to the ends for over 9 years. I didn't know I wasn't suppose to. I do my sister's hair too and she knew I wasn't suppose to and never said anything. :wallbash:When I relaxed her hair this time I was careful to just do her new growth. DO you know what she did when I was done? Went back and pulled it through her whole head anyway.:spike:

Omg! :eek2:

Hi Ladies,

I went back and looked at our comparison pics and I have to say.....

I'M SO PROUD OF US!!!!!!:bouncegre :creatures:clapping:

WE all have had some great progress. I want to thank all of you, I feel like we've formed a bond with one another (we go and venture out on the boards, but we all seem to find our way back to this thread) and it's the support that we have been receiving from one another that has been and will continue to help us along with our journey's.

I'm so happy that I stopped at the original thread when I decided to start on my journey and joined this family :bighug:. (as I'm wiping a tear out the corner of my eye:cry3:):lachen::lachen:

ME, TOO!!!!:grin::grin:

Thanks Klo,

I actually do use leave-ins. If anything, I use too much lol. I use Cantu Shea butter, Elasta QP Mango Butter :love:, Carol's Daughter Hair Honey :infatuated: and seal with Keracare Essential Oils, or Grapeseed Oil, or that Pink Oil spray in stuff (their only good product). Can you tell I'm a PJ? Lol...

Part of me can't help but wonder if I'm getting breakage because of my last two relaxers. Like a dummy, the last two times I've relaxed, its been after a long stretch (+6 months). My previously relaxed hair had been reverting and I asked the stylist to pull it through to the ends. :nono:

Now that I am in my era of hair wisdom, I know that its really bad to do correctives over previously relaxed hair, and part of me feels that the correctives have weakened my hair and it just really needs to recover on its own. I will keep doing what I am doing, and just try to pay attention to where the breakage is happening. It just pains me to still see my hair falling out when I know how much I've improved my level of hair care...

Weird thing is that my hair is reverting again! Maybe she didn't leave it on very long... She's actually a decent sylist. She only dusts my ends, and she always insists that I sit under the dryer for a "body-wrap" (rollerset). Last time I went though, I had to get her to blowdry it because she overbooked (yeah, big surprise) and had me in there for hours while poor DH was at home with our newborn, not to mention the other two munchkins, and I had only left one bottle. :look:

I came here originally to mention something else, now I can't remember :rolleyes:. I'll be back if I do.

ETA: Ohh, now I remember :scratchch I wanted to say that amazingly enough, (well, maybe not so amazing) the reason why my hair has grown so much, is because of the frequent washing! I wash 2-3 times a week, usually 1 co-wash, 1 clarifying, and 1 with Keracare Hydrating/Detangling. My scalp likes to be clean apparently. It makes complete sense and I'm so mad I didn't reason this out on my own long, long ago. :hammer: It's a shame what laziness can do to you.

It also could just be hormones and postpartum shedding, which I don't know a cure for...

Back