Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Affecting it how Galadriel? The air has been making my hair dry much quicker, but its also more dry, so i have to up my moisture when i air dry or its very dry, and i also have color so thats another drying effect. The extra moisture has been making it much better though, because this summer air is very drying.

Yes, my hair's been drier. I've been upping the moisture also. Now is a very good time to do more protective styling I guess.

Hey Ladies

I relaxed on saturday at 11 weeks I couldnt take it any more. While I did grow some its not what I was expecting. DH said the longest part of my hair is APL but that I still have a long way to go bc I dont wanna claim it like that. Im hoping the next time I relax I will get there its so hard and I feel like Im never gonna get there:sad:

I will post pics soon DH is out and about so I have no one to take pics.

Hey pr3tty! Congrats on your stretch girl. I can definitely understand how you feel about claiming APL. Nevertheless, congrats on your awesome progress thusfar!

Exactly. I think APL is the hardest to conquer. I'm moving it from July to November, so maybe i'll have it by then. And i have to be thankful as well because my hair is healthy.

ITA! I started LHCF back in Dec trying to get to full APL (I was only about 1.5 inches short of the goal) and I am just now barely past APL...I did cut a lot of bad ends and some layers out (as LHCF does force you to take a better look at the health of your hair), but I thought I would have gotten there in a couple of months, but it definitely took a lot longer than that....be patient! You'll be there before you know it and then you'll be trying to get to BSL and thinking your hair won't ever get past APL!:lachen:

hey ladies! Just checking in....

Guess what?

I'm wearing a phoney pony (bunned) today!!! My ends are baggyed underneath! I'm very proud of myself. Usually I would've cut my hair by now. The in between is hard but now that I can bun, the home stretch should be a piece of cake. My coworkers were very complimentary. They said I look like a baby doll. :grin:

I know, y'all wanna see pics...I'll TRY to post one. I haven't figured out how to paste a pic into a post yet.

ETA: I ordered a UPA clip...:spinning:...can't wait to try it out. I think I'll bun and pony all summer...a kind of personal challenge! :yep:

Hey Daephae,

Congrats on the phoney pony :pepper::pepper::pepper:...I know it looks great and it a good protective style !!!! I can't wait to see :pics:.

Thanks but I don't know if I'm MBL yet...it's hard to tell w/o bra strap:lachen:...any way I need a trim.

I HAD SO MANY RESPONSES:user:, I HAD TO MULTI-QUOTE!!!:lachen:

Ok, now your scaring me about airdrying :lachen::lachen:. Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to get out of sleeping with those hard :moon: rollers. Man, I don't know if I can do this 3 times a week for 2 1/2 months.

Also, I noticed that my hair isn't dry in the morning, what am I doing wrong????? My hair dryer is looking at me like :nono:....it's calling my name, I'm going to give it the good ole he ho, but I'm almost heeed out :lachen::lachen:

BWAH HA HA!:lachen:I am done...*wipes tears from eyes*...whew...
My hair is always wet in the morning, too. I haven't figured this thing out yet:ohwell:

lol, yeah, air drying isn't for everyone. I like doing rollersets more than just drying my hair. And FindingMe made a good suggestion of using cool air instead of heat with your dryer. That way you won't be using heat but your hair will dry quicker.

It worked better, but was still a hot mess that morning. I sat under for about 25 min and then let airdry over night and in the morning I stll had some curls that were damp. I just pinned them up and tried to let them dry without the roller, but the ends came out fuzzy o some of them...not smooth like I like...:sad:

hey ladies! Just checking in....

Guess what?

I'm wearing a phoney pony (bunned) today!!! My ends are baggyed underneath! I'm very proud of myself. Usually I would've cut my hair by now. The in between is hard but now that I can bun, the home stretch should be a piece of cake. My coworkers were very complimentary. They said I look like a baby doll. :grin:

I know, y'all wanna see pics...I'll TRY to post one. I haven't figured out how to paste a pic into a post yet.

ETA: I ordered a UPA clip...:spinning:...can't wait to try it out. I think I'll bun and pony all summer...a kind of personal challenge! :yep:

what up, daephae?! you killin' me! when you post, there is a box under where you put your text called additional options. Click that box that says manage attachements and upload from there...It has to be a certain size, tho-, or it won't upload...HTH! I can't wait to see pics! Now that you can bun, you are about to grow, grow, grow!!! When you take your hair and wear it down after you've been bunning for a while, you are going to be amazed!!!! Watch! (uummmm, now post the pics, so I can watch, too...:lachen:)

Yes, my hair's been drier. I've been upping the moisture also. Now is a very good time to do more protective styling I guess.

:thought:maybe this a note we should make about airdrying... that when we get full natural heads and want to do a WnG, we may need to use the diffuser on a low heat setting to help soften and seal?

I agree. I only air dry when i do roller sets. I tried just air drying today and i hate it FM, so i doubt i'll be doing it again. I just have to chalk it up that my hair likes heat. Its better to manage, and i have hardly as many tangles.

Co-signing...air drying only seems to work when roller setting...other wise I have crazy shrinkage,my hair feels drier and I have lots of little knots.

Hey Daephae,

Congrats on the phoney pony :pepper::pepper::pepper:...I know it looks great and it a good protective style !!!! I can't wait to see :pics:.

Thanks but I don't know if I'm MBL yet...it's hard to tell w/o bra strap:lachen:...any way I need a trim.

:arrowup: hmmm...:detective:...looks MBL to me....:yep:

Co-signing...air drying only seems to work when roller setting...other wise I have crazy shrinkage,my hair feels drier and I have lots of little knots.

WTH?! :perplexed Ya'll then what's the benefits?? I'ma 'bout to do some research.... (in best Arnold Schwartzenegger (<-whatever) voice...) "I'll be back..."

:arrowup: hmmm...:detective:...looks MBL to me....:yep:
IDK..... but I think I am really onto something with this air dry/rollersetting....my hair has never felt better...I'm going back to it just as soon as I straighten out the SMB situation :grin:....thanks for the flat iron info.

IDK..... but I think I am really onto something with this air dry/rollersetting....my hair has never felt better...I'm going back to it just as soon as I straighten out the SMB situation :grin:....thanks for the flat iron info.

What's the SMB situation? Is it or is it not working for you?:drunk:

WTH?! :perplexed Ya'll then what's the benefits?? I'ma 'bout to do some research.... (in best Arnold Schwartzenegger (<-whatever) voice...) "I'll be back..."

Right. And even then it takes forever to dry. And i tend to be heavy handed with products so i have to wait good while.

@ FM, airdrying isn't good for some people. There have been many women who say air drying doesn't do a thing for them. I guess we fit into that category. I will never airdry my hair unless i'm doing a rollerset because it just doesn't work for me. Which is sad because i wanted to try a no heat challenge, but that won't be in my future anytime soon!!:nono::nono:

ITA! I started LHCF back in Dec trying to get to full APL (I was only about 1.5 inches short of the goal) and I am just now barely past APL...I did cut a lot of bad ends and some layers out (as LHCF does force you to take a better look at the health of your hair), but I thought I would have gotten there in a couple of months, but it definitely took a lot longer than that....be patient! You'll be there before you know it and then you'll be trying to get to BSL and thinking your hair won't ever get past APL!:lachen:

:lachen:Thats true. I appreciate it. I guess when i joined i just thought it would be a breeze getting there. But i've did a trim and i haven't retained as well as i should be. It takes patience though. I'm learning that.

OK, on the airdrying thing...I'ma 'bout to pull a SistaSlick :lachen:. Here's what I learned from various articles (beware...LONG):

So...hair is made up of keratin protein. It also has water in it, with water or moisture making up about 8% (varies based on relative humidity present) of the total weight of our hair.

The chemical bonds that hold your hair together include hydrogen bonds--a weak attachment that comes about when a hydrogen atom dangling off one protein is attracted to the oxygen atom dangling off another protein.

Water is made of hydrogen and oxygen--it’s called H2O because every molecule of water has two hydrogen atoms (H2) and an oxygen atom (O). When you wet your hair, water molecules sneak in between the proteins of the cortex and join these hydrogen bonds. Your hair swells up, absorbing up to 30% of its weight in water.

In wet hair, one protein molecule doesn't have a hydrogen bond directly to another protein molecule. Instead, a protein is stuck to a water molecule, which is sticking to another water molecule, which is sticking to another protein. That's much weaker than having one protein stuck directly to the other protein--which is why wet hair is much weaker and more likely to break than dry hair.

That's also why you can curl your hair when it's wet. If you set your wet hair in curlers or pull your curly hair straight, then let it dry in this new shape, the hydrogen bonds will reform in a new position.

When your hair gets wet again (or is exposed to moisture from the air), those hydrogen bonds will weaken and then reform in their original position, in your hair making it revert (frizzy, puffy, etc.).

You can also affect your hair's form or shape with heat (irons, dryers, etc.), and this effectively break's down the hair's hydrogen bonds found in the cortex. Once the bonds are broken, hair is prevented from holding its original, natural form. When your hair cools off, the hydrogen bond has re-formed into the new (straighter) shape and holds until moisture is re-introduced.
Air drying straight (with crinkly roots:lachen:) will yield hair where the hydrogen bond has re-formed into that exact shape. The only real way to manipulate the hair after that is to break the bond, either with heat or the addition of moisture. That means, even braid-outs and twist-outs are going to be less susceptible to manipulation bc of the crinkly, textured shape the dried hair has from the re-formed bonds. Moisturizers will add some moisture back into the hair, but may not be enough to completely break the new "straighter hair, but crinkly root" bond that came from air drying. So you have more resistance to manipulation (breaking, snapping, splitting, etc.)

Also, air drying hair may also make your cuticle more damaged. The rationale is that when the hair is wet, the water molecules fill the cracks in the cuticle and absorb into the hair where the protein and water molecules interact (above). Like a sponge, the hair expands enough to accommodate the water. The water exerts a slight pressure from inside the hair, which stresses the cuticle layer and lifts the cuticle outwards slightly. If the hair is in a stressed state long enough, the hair's cuticle layer will split and peel up to relieve the pressure. The cuticle is a hardened dead layer of protein and once the stress fractures happen, there is no permanent repair solution. When the hair is dried using warm air on a low setting, the water is evaporated out of the hair quicker, relieving the stress faster, allowing the cuticle to receive less damage. The more porous your hair, the worse this will be. You should always dry your hair from a towel-dried state (~10-11% moisture) for this reason, so as not to over-stress the cuticle with too much moisture in it. Always dry with heat pointing down, to further close cuticles and use a good thermal protector/sealant to close and seal the cuticle further protecting the hair.
SO, the bottom line is when you air-dry, you are still affecting your hair's form as the hydrogen bonds are broken as water is introduced and then re-formed into whatever shape you have once dry.

SO, bottom line, if you need to airdry,
  1. You'd better make sure that whatever form you air dry your hair in will be susceptible to manipulation (the smoother the better). I guess that's why roller setting works the best when air drying--your hair's hydrogen bond has reformed into the smoothest, most pliable state.
  2. Plop or towel dry your hair first
  3. Using a good thermal protector/sealant to close and seal the cuticle can further protect the hair.
    [*]Using cool air (blow dryer pointing down or a hood dryer) can also help to evaporate the excess water faster, causing less stress and brittleness of cuticle layer.
  4. Don't just airdry your hair hanging down (or in a less smooth style), unless you plan on wearing it like that (and leaving it alone..no manipulation) until you wet it again.
HTH! HHG--

Last edited:
OK, on the airdrying thing...I'ma 'bout to pull a SistaSlick :lachen:. Here's what I learned from various articles (beware...LONG):

So...hair is made up of keratin protein. It also has water in it, with water or moisture making up about 8% (varies based on relative humidity present) of the total weight of our hair.

The chemical bonds that hold your hair together include hydrogen bonds--a weak attachment that comes about when a hydrogen atom dangling off one protein is attracted to the oxygen atom dangling off another protein.

Water is made of hydrogen and oxygen--it’s called H2O because every molecule of water has two hydrogen atoms (H2) and an oxygen atom (O). When you wet your hair, water molecules sneak in between the proteins of the cortex and join these hydrogen bonds. Your hair swells up, absorbing up to 30% of its weight in water.

In wet hair, one protein molecule doesn't have a hydrogen bond directly to another protein molecule. Instead, a protein is stuck to a water molecule, which is sticking to another water molecule, which is sticking to another protein. That's much weaker than having one protein stuck directly to the other protein--which is why wet hair is much weaker and more likely to break than dry hair.

That's also why you can curl your hair when it's wet. If you set your wet hair in curlers or pull your curly hair straight, then let it dry in this new shape, the hydrogen bonds will reform in a new position.

When your hair gets wet again (or is exposed to moisture from the air), those hydrogen bonds will weaken and then reform in their original position, in your hair making it revert (frizzy, puffy, etc.).

You can also affect your hair's form or shape with heat (irons, dryers, etc.), and this effectively break's down the hair's hydrogen bonds found in the cortex. Once the bonds are broken, hair is prevented from holding its original, natural form. When your hair cools off, the hydrogen bond has re-formed into the new (straighter) shape and holds until moisture is re-introduced.
Air drying straight (with crinkly roots:lachen:) will yield hair where the hydrogen bond has re-formed into that exact shape. The only real way to manipulate the hair after that is to break the bond, either with heat or the addition of moisture. That means, even braid-outs and twist-outs are going to be less susceptible to manipulation bc of the crinkly, textured shape the dried hair has from the re-formed bonds. Moisturizers will add some moisture back into the hair, but may not be enough to completely break the new "straighter hair, but crinkly root" bond that came from air drying. So you have more resistance to manipulation (breaking, snapping, splitting, etc.)

Also, air drying hair may also make your cuticle more damaged. The rationale is that when the hair is wet, the water molecules fill the cracks in the cuticle and absorb into the hair where the protein and water molecules interact (above). Like a sponge, the hair expands enough to accommodate the water. The water exerts a slight pressure from inside the hair, which stresses the cuticle layer and lifts the cuticle outwards slightly. If the hair is in a stressed state long enough, the hair's cuticle layer will split and peel up to relieve the pressure. The cuticle is a hardened dead layer of protein and once the stress fractures happen, there is no permanent repair solution. When the hair is dried using warm air on a low setting, the water is evaporated out of the hair quicker, relieving the stress faster, allowing the cuticle to receive less damage. The more porous your hair, the worse this will be. You should always dry your hair from a towel-dried state (~10-11% moisture) for this reason, so as not to over-stress the cuticle with too much moisture in it. Always dry with heat pointing down, to further close cuticles and use a good thermal protector/sealant to close and seal the cuticle further protecting the hair.
SO, the bottom line is when you air-dry, you are still affecting your hair's form as the hydrogen bonds are broken as water is introduced and then re-formed into whatever shape you have once dry.

1. You'd better make sure that whatever form you air dry your hair in will be susceptible to manipulation (the smoother the better). I guess that's why roller setting works the best when air drying--your hair's hydrogen bond has reformed into the smoothest, most pliable state.
  3. Using a good thermal protector/sealant to close and seal the cuticle can further protect the hair.
    [*]Using cool air (blow dryer pointing down or a hood dryer) can also help to evaporate the excess water faster, causing less stress and brittleness of cuticle layer.
  4. Don't just airdry your hair hanging down (or in a less smooth style), unless you plan on wearing it like that (and leaving it alone..no manipulation) until you wet it again.
HTH! HHG--

Wow FM!!!!!! You're good girl!!!!! Thanks for posting this. I guess thats why my rollersets turn out so much better than just regular air drying. When i wash again, i will try some of the things suggested and see what changes. Thanks again!!!!!

What's the SMB situation? Is it or is it not working for you?:drunk:
It's working...my hair has not reverted yet :yep:...I just didn't get my hair as straight as I wanted :nono:and it won't hold a curl :ohwell:.....I think I need a better flat iron...next time I'm gonna roller set then flat iron...

5-29-08Dd.jpg

I completely understand the problems you ladies are having air drying. The first time I did it, it was a wicked mess. I got it down now. I haven't used any heat in my hair since October of last year. I like doing it cause I'm lazy and it's easy. When I don't roller set I air dry my hair in a ponytail. Sometimes I braid it and do a braid out ponytail for the week. Most times after I smooth my hair into a good, but not tight ponytail, I wrap the end around my hair and smooth and tie it down. In the morning it's still damp, but straight. It dries over the course of the day. I moisturize again before bed and wrap it again and in the morning it's soft and straight. I moisturizer my hair with ORS lotion, put a little mane and tail conditioner in as a leave in, and mango butter. When I'm doing a straight ponytail I put IC Fantasy Clear gel on the front and cover it with mango butter so the hair stays soft.

Well gurlllll, I have to tell you I'll be glad when I at least get to that point. I feel like I'm about to loose my mind, it's like a woman can't pass me without me looking at her hair.

Ladies I finally got DH to take a pic and he only took 1 while running thru the door so its in my sig. I think I may have thought I had less length than I actually do now that I can see it from the back

Ladies I finally got DH to take a pic and he only took 1 while running thru the door so its in my sig. I think I may have thought I had less length than I actually do now that I can see it from the back

Girl you have had major progress, in the last 6 months. I joined in Feb, I hope see progress like that when I get to my 6 month mark.

HTH! HHG--

FM this is really great info ... Thanx

Girl you have had major progress, in the last 6 months. I joined in Feb, I hope see progress like that when I get to my 6 month mark.

Thanx girl I started Jan 23 to be exact but didnt do anything until Feb 1st and thats when I really started taking care of my hair Feb 1 to be exact bc when I relaxed in Dec I was still doing all these bad things to my hair until feb when I found this site

Last edited:
Ladies Today June 1st is officially 4 months that Ive been on LHCF and been taking care of my hair and I am so happy that Ive stuck with this and that I have all u wonderful ladies to share this journey with so I just wanna say thank you for being here with me:circle::bighug:

Pr3tty, your new pic in your siggy is awesome! You made great progress.
FM, thanks for the post on air-drying! Now I can start working on that area so that I won't have any setbacks.
Leona, Klo, Daephae, Fiya, Bign, it's good to hear from you all and about how things are going with you ladies :grin:.

Your hair looks amazing Pretty!!!!!!!!! I can see growth galore!!!! you're almost there. Congrats!!!!!!

Ok, got my most recent update pics today. I'm so close to APL it's not even funny. I went to my mom's hairstylist, who did an awesome job. When I asked her if I was "at armpit length yet" she went, "What?" and started laughing. I told her that my goal was to grow my hair to APL (I'm always trying to sneak in some LHCF terminology :lachen:). She told me I will definitely be APL soon, provided I don't have any set backs. She gave me a nice dusting (she doesn't call it dusting, but that's what she does, I'm going to keep slipping in that terminology) and I love the results. I was really bummed lately because I had to correct a recent problem where my hair was stripped and really dry :wallbash:. My hair is just now getting over it and more than ever I want to throw my hair into cornrows/braids for a month or two. I'm glad I can come here and get input, support, and advice from you ladies. It REALLY makes a difference! :yep:

Oh, and please excuse the crooked zing :lachen:. I was in a rush.

JuneUpdate.jpg

Ok, got my most recent update pics today. I'm so close to APL it's not even funny. I went to my mom's hairstylist, who did an awesome job. When I asked her if I was "at armpit length yet" she went, "What?" and started laughing. I told her that my goal was to grow my hair to APL (I'm always trying to sneak in some LHCF terminology :lachen:). She told me I will definitely be APL soon, provided I don't have any set backs. She gave me a nice dusting (she doesn't call it dusting, but that's what she does, I'm going to keep slipping in that terminology) and I love the results. I was really bummed lately because I had to correct a recent problem where my hair was stripped and really dry :wallbash:. My hair is just now getting over it and more than ever I want to throw my hair into cornrows/braids for a month or two. I'm glad I can come here and get input, support, and advice from you ladies. It REALLY makes a difference! :yep:

Oh, and please excuse the crooked zing :lachen:. I was in a rush.

JuneUpdate.jpg

Thanx girl and ur hair looks really good ur doing a great job

Back