Newbie Challenge 08 P2

:lachen:Girl, you crazy!

Anyway, Since I, too, am going to pimp this style:lachen:, I envisioned pincurling the back in 1 or 2 large pincurls flat to the head and maybe moisturising the end every other day (or maybe every 3rd day) with either my ORS lotion or some coconut oil...If I pincurl, I don't need a lot of moisturizers...

Klo, I could also see this easily being rocked with a curly pony in the back. I may try to do it wet (for the neatest look) and then roller set the back (w/ maybe 3 or 4 large rollers) and/or braid it out for different looks.
Girl I would pimp this style if I knew how :sekret: . How do you make this twists? :detective: How do you make the hump? :detective: I need the remedial class :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Girl I would pimp this style if I knew how :sekret: . How do you make this twists? :detective: How do you make the hump? :detective: I need the remedial class :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Me too! I can only do like one good style and that is using my curlformers. I have grown to be content with my messy half way bun and wash n go. When my hair grows up, I'm really not going to know what to do!!

You and neomi are funny! The twists are like cornrows, except you use two strands...if you can't do cornrows, you outta luck!:lachen: Ima haveta improvise on the hump. My hair has enough thickness where I think I can improvise that bc that's usually how I do ponytails anyway to balance off my large forehead!

Thanks for the review..Great Job!!!:grin: I LUVVV your hair...both sets looked good!!! :grin:

I thought they both looked the same! LOL! But one set was less than half the cost and a lot less manipulation (pulling and tugging)on the hair. For those reasons, I would go with the flexirods for relaxed hair.

I thought they both looked the same! LOL! But one set was less than half the cost and a lot less manipulation (pulling and tugging)on the hair. For those reasons, I would go with the flexirods for relaxed hair.

I don't think my hair can stand up to CF manipulation :pullhair:. It sounds like breakage to me. Sometimes if you look at my hair too hard it breaks :ohsnap: leaving me screaming for :help3:.

I don't think my hair can stand up to CF manipulation :pullhair:. It sounds like breakage to me. Sometimes if you look at my hair too hard it breaks :ohsnap: leaving me screaming for :help3:.

Then you need to :Run: from these things and your hair is uber long, too....unh unh:nono:

So ladies after all these weeks of trying to find a salon, I went back to one that I use to visit years ago. All the stylist have changed ,but I was determined to get my hair done and since it was a Full Saturday I had to wait a long time since I was a walk in. The end results. I love it. I only paid 35 and my sister had her hair done in a cute style also it was only 25 with a cut, shampoo, deep condition, and style. Needless to say I have found my hair style home. I like to moisturize my hair 2 times a day. How do I moisturize this? Are there any good spray

p_00076.jpg
moisturizers?

p_00074.jpg

p_00080.jpg

This style looks great on you! :grin:

:update: I mixed 1/2 glycerin & 1/2 Miss Keys 10 en 1 :love3:... I put it on dry hair overnight....I learned about glycerin from 4mia ...I used Fuller Thicker Hair as a leave in ...sealed ends w/coconut oil..my hair feels very moisturized, light & fluffy...I blow dried using Pinkskates method...this took about 30 minutes.

Ladies may I suggest that you try glycerin w/your DC & leave in and anything that you think is so so. I bought mine at Walmart for under $3.
This style is a WnG(sort of) but it looks like a braid out.

4-22-08.jpg

:update: I mixed 1/2 glycerin & 1/2 Miss Keys 10 en 1 :love3:... I put it on dry hair overnight....I learned about glycerin from 4mia ...I used Fuller Thicker Hair as a leave in ...sealed ends w/coconut oil..my hair feels very moisturized, light & fluffy...I blow dried using Pinkskates method...this took about 30 minutes.

Ladies may I suggest that you try glycerin w/your DC & leave in and anything that you think is so so. I bought mine at Walmart for under $3.
This style is a WnG(sort of) but it looks like a braid out.

4-22-08.jpg

Klo- can you post the brand name or a pic of the bottle you used? A lot of ladies (relaxed, natural and in-between are using glycerin as a leave-in with good results...) I want some...

ETA: ne'ermind- saw it in the other thread...the rubbing alcohol isle, huh?

Last edited:
Hi again everyone, and :wave: to those of you who haven't met me. I guess I'm the lastest newbie? I feel kinda self-invited though lol. Just looking for someplace to fit in :)

I posted some pics yesterday on the other thread. I had my first go at a bantu set and it came out pretty bad lol. My hair is suffering from Sahara-Desert like dryness right now :egypt: I am also pretty sure that I am in desperate need of some protein too, but I need to get some more moisture in there first or else it'll probably just snap right off! :perplexed:

I did another co-wash last night. I went to Safeway and found some really good deals on Organix products and something told me to pick it up on a hunch. It just smelled so good, and the ingredient list impressed me... I got the Coconut milk conditioner, anti-breakage serum, and split end mender, and the Vanilla conditioner. It turns out that this product goes well-recommended by some of the ladies on the boards. I saw a thread about it last night after I got home. It was all BOGO, and one of them had a mail-in rebate, so essentially, I only paid for one and got for free :grin: I will be going back before the sale ends to stock up probably.

So, I cowashed with it last night and used the serum and split end mender, then I put my hair in a ponytail and put some satin-covered sponge rollers in it overnight. The middle is still not completely dry, but I took some pics anyway. My hair seems softer today, and a little bit more moisturized, but I think I need to take more drastic measures. Maybe a few nights of some overnight deep conditioning like some of you suggested on the first page...

Here's what it looks like today. Not a vast improvement, but a little better.

DSC00059-1.jpg

DSC00061-1.jpg

DSC00065-1.jpg

Lol, I hear that!

And FM, thanks for the review and. I've been seeing the curlformers around on the boards and was wondering about them. I will definitely be going with flexirods! I will definitely add in some moderate protein treatments too like you suggested. I got some Keraphix yesterday (I bought more stuff that I care to admit LOL) and I will try it as soon as I can get to a moisture level that I am comfortable with. I hope the Ojon will help.

Your hair looks really nice Galadriel! I used to flat twist my hair like that and leave the back out, but I get WAY too much breakage. Its too much manipulation for me, especially when taking those rubberbands out :nono: I think that was the problem with the bantu set I did and the braidouts that I normally wear. The less manipulation for me, the better. My hair is just too fragile right now. Hopefully that will change.

Last edited:
Hi again everyone, and :wave: to those of you who haven't met me. I guess I'm the lastest newbie? I feel kinda self-invited though lol. Just looking for someplace to fit in :)

I posted some pics yesterday on the other thread. I had my first go at a bantu set and it came out pretty bad lol. My hair is suffering from Sahara-Desert like dryness right now :egypt: I am also pretty sure that I am in desperate need of some protein too, but I need to get some more moisture in there first or else it'll probably just snap right off! :perplexed:

I did another co-wash last night. I went to Safeway and found some really good deals on Organix products and something told me to pick it up on a hunch. It just smelled so good, and the ingredient list impressed me... I got the Coconut milk conditioner, anti-breakage serum, and split end mender, and the Vanilla conditioner. It turns out that this product goes well-recommended by some of the ladies on the boards. I saw a thread about it last night after I got home. It was all BOGO, and one of them had a mail-in rebate, so essentially, I only paid for one and got for free :grin: I will be going back before the sale ends to stock up probably.

So, I cowashed with it last night and used the serum and split end mender, then I put my hair in a ponytail and put some satin-covered sponge rollers in it overnight. The middle is still not completely dry, but I took some pics anyway. My hair seems softer today, and a little bit more moisturized, but I think I need to take more drastic measures. Maybe a few nights of some overnight deep conditioning like some of you suggested on the first page...

DSC00059-1.jpg

DSC00061-1.jpg

DSC00065-1.jpg

Pretty, pretty, pretty! Your hair likes the Organix...:yep: The bottom pic looks like an avi or siggy pic to me:grin: Oh, and don't feel bad about the bantu set...I can never get it right either...:perplexed

Klo- can you post the brand name or a pic of the bottle you used? A lot of ladies (relaxed, natural and in-between are using glycerin as a leave-in with good results...) I want some...

ETA: ne'ermind- saw it in the other thread...the rubbing alcohol isle, huh?
Hey FM I'll post pic anyway for anyone who is interested.
glycerin.jpg

I'm going to continue mixing w/DC & leave ins. I wonder how this might mix w/ the beloved ORS Replen Paks (moisture & protein combined:yep:). I've read comments that if you mix glycerin w/so so condish you get much better results. I could help w/ condish that you want to use up.

FYI- I counted 3 strands lost while doing hair yesterday. I used to have more breakage when I sneezed. My hair feels very soft & moisturized today!

DSC00059-1.jpg

DSC00061-1.jpg

DSC00065-1.jpg
Your hair looks good...nice & thick :yep:. If you want to cut down on drying time perhaps you might try 2 ponytails & magnetic rollers .

Pretty, pretty, pretty! Your hair likes the Organix...:yep: The bottom pic looks like an avi or siggy pic to me:grin: Oh, and don't feel bad about the bantu set...I can never get it right either...:perplexed

FM you read my mind! :shocked: I set it as my avatar a few minutes after I posted that :grin:

Your hair looks good...nice & thick :yep:. If you want to cut down on drying time perhaps you might try 2 ponytails & magnetic rollers .

Thank you :) I'll try that out. I had only used sponge rollers because I did it at like 12am and I had to sleep on it, next time I'll try to do it mid-day so it will have the day to dry.

Last edited:
Hey Ladies!!!!!!!!!!
Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. Sorry I havnt been posting, school is crazy right now. But the semester is almost over and I will be glued infront of the computer again!
I havnt had any changes to my hair, its still in braids. I think I will keep it this way for the last 2wks of school, seeing as how I have no time to care for it.
I hope everyone is doing well, HHG!

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Hi Ladies,

I've missed all of you guys. I'm so happy to see that you all are doing your thing. Cheers to all!!!!:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I've been out of the loop for a while. Been a little depressed, my hair seems to be suffering from a set back :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:........Long story short, one wash night while lurking through this forum I decided that I wanted to try the famous ACV rinse, and I'm sure that I must have done something wrong because my hair hasn't been the same since. It's been feeling very very stripped. I've been DCing, conditioning, sealing.....like crazy and it still isn't helping, and when I see the breakage it just puts a pit in my stomach. So I'm working on getting things back to normal.

Anyway, I'm pullin myself out of this funk and will be back to posting like normal.

:wave::wave::wave::wave: Hey ladies.... Just wanted to check in.... everything is going good... my hair is now in cornrolls so I am no longer tempted to flat iron it.

also FYI..... I am jacking:ninja: some of your hairstyles so don't be surprised you open my fotki and you see me with them

Banana clips, front twists with a ponytail and all.......:lol:

DSC00059-1.jpg

DSC00061-1.jpg

DSC00065-1.jpg

Your hair looks so amazing Morenita!!!!! Full of body. :yep::yep:

Just doing the check in as many others are. School is taking up so much of my time. I can't believe i haven't been on here in two days!!!! I am relaxing later on today so i'll be able to post a length shot soon. ;)

Hi Ladies,

I've missed all of you guys. I'm so happy to see that you all are doing your thing. Cheers to all!!!!:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I've been out of the loop for a while. Been a little depressed, my hair seems to be suffering from a set back :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:........Long story short, one wash night while lurking through this forum I decided that I wanted to try the famous ACV rinse, and I'm sure that I must have done something wrong because my hair hasn't been the same since. It's been feeling very very stripped. I've been DCing, conditioning, sealing.....like crazy and it still isn't helping, and when I see the breakage it just puts a pit in my stomach. So I'm working on getting things back to normal.

Anyway, I'm pullin myself out of this funk and will be back to posting like normal.
:bighug:Awww, hun- big hugs and I hope you get it worked out soon....:yep:

Hey girlies! I'm just stopping through to show my face in da place...:grin:...I haven't done anything different...my hair is still short :ohwell:. I'm making progress though. I'll post some progress pics next month. I haven't read too many of the posts but I'm sure my girls (pr3tty, findingme, klomax, fiya, bign_17, galadriel and cocopuff to name a few) are working hard as ever on reaching y'alls (LOL) hair goals.

Stay on track everybody! Love y'all!

Your hair looks so amazing Morenita!!!!! Full of body. :yep::yep:

Thank you! :) It really does need a lot of work though. The top of my hair has always grown shorter than the rest and thats something that I want to change. Since pregnancy x3, it has reached my nape probably, and thats longer than its ever been. My mom used to always comment on how my hair grew in natural layers and how much thicker it would be if it would all grow the same length. My sides and front area are damaged due to neglect. I cut some long bangs a week ago b/c I just couldn't stand looking at those sad sad strands lol. It'll get there though! I can't wait to see what my hair will look like at the end of the summer (mine grows fastest then) and the end of December :drunk:

Hi Ladies,

I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you dilute it when you did it? I read that its supposed to be 1tbsp of vinergar per 1 cup of water. If you didn't, then that would definitely explain the effect that it is having on your hair. I did a little digging and somebody said that when you use ACV, it closes the hair cuticle and you need heat with your conditioner to open it back up. Have you tried using heat with your D/C? Last thing you could try is a D/C overnight. Thats what I plan on doing tonight if my Ojon oil, or my Kenra Condish get here today. My hair still feels like straw, even after a hot oil treatment yesterday lol. I don't have an excuse though. Just thirsty hair :ohwell:

Back