Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Yeah, quite often there are ladies up in there with hair down their back getting it blown too, not sure if it's a regular thing for them or not, and from what I've been reading on the boards some say their hair is ok with direct heat (that one puzzles me). But the process really is alot of heat. You know how you see white women getting their hair blown with that big round brush it's very similar to that, except your hair has already been dried with a roller set. They wrap the hair around that brush, zap that hot A$% dryer at your scalp. and pull, to straighten out the root and then if your getting a full blow, they pull down the length of the hair with the brush and the dryer and then target your ends tryin to get the bump at the bottom. Hard to explain it but hopefully that gives you and idea.

OMG!! THAT'S how they do it???!!!??? :nono: That is the best explanation for it I have ever heard!! I actually got a visual picture of it in my mind!

I was trippin' bc I thought it was different... I guess I couldn't figure out how they just blew out the roots, but it sounds like they use direct heat on basically your whole head. GEEZ... direct heat (and HIGH heat at that from what I gather) along with a lot of stretching and pulling does not sound like my idea of a good time for my hair.:nono: Does your hair get tangled in that brush?!? That sounds like a nightmare...

Yeah, give it a try. Believe me I was leary about doing it at first, just didn't seem like it was the right thing to be doing. "My Beauty Supply Girl" told me to do it, a Dominican lady and up until I mixed the relaxer I debated about it. But I ended up trying it and I won't do my relaxer any other way now.

Also if your about to relax I would say take a look at Sistaslicks articles on what to do pre and post relaxer. I followed her steps, and I would say this is was the best relaxer I've had ever, my hair did really well.

ITA agree with e'rything bign just said! That olive oil made the difference in my relaxer...I am SURE OF IT!:yep: And I used a mild relaxer, too and it was STILL silky smooth!!!:yep:

Thanks FM. I will try it again. It is trial and error. I didn't think my air sets would be good, but they turned out good.

:lachen:@ the Curlformers!!! I want some so bad, but i do not need them, i do not!!

And Pretty, your hair looks so thick and gorgeous!!!!! I love it:grin:

I am really serious, they are so doggone expensive!!! I think you should wait bc I really think you can replicate the same results with flexi rods. I mean mine came out looking EXACTLY like the flexirod set I have in my FOTKI...When I say exactly, I mean IDENTICAL...:yep:

OMG!! THAT'S how they do it???!!!??? :nono: That is the best explanation for it I have ever heard!! I actually got a visual picture of it in my mind!

I was trippin' bc I thought it was different... I guess I couldn't figure out how they just blew out the roots, but it sounds like they use direct heat on basically your whole head. GEEZ... direct heat (and HIGH heat at that from what I gather) along with a lot of stretching and pulling does not sound like my idea of a good time for my hair.:nono: Does your hair get tangled in that brush?!? That sounds like a nightmare...

No your hair doesn't get tangled, that is one thing, they know how to work that brush and that blow dryer. They have that thing down to a science, you can believe it.

I am really serious, they are so doggone expensive!!! I think you should wait bc I really think you can replicate the same results with flexi rods. I mean mine came out looking EXACTLY like the flexirod set I have in my FOTKI...When I say exactly, I mean IDENTICAL...:yep:

See that is what I thought, I wondered if you would get the same results. Thanks for confirming that. I wanted to try to curlforms but when I kept seeing how much they cost, and the needle thing scared me, thinking of pulling my wet hair through that thing brought me to the shakes. So I've been eying the flexirods, just wasn't too sure about what color to get.

See that is what I thought, I wondered if you would get the same results. Thanks for confirming that. I wanted to try to curlforms but when I kept seeing how much they cost, and the needle thing scared me, thinking of pulling my wet hair through that thing brought me to the shakes. So I've been eying the flexirods, just wasn't too sure about what color to get.

:lachen:But on the real, they cost a GRIP!!!! :nono: And I have 6 packs (6 in a pack) of the extra long and wide (pink & orange) ones and I ran out!!!!:blush: O-M-G, my friend came to my rescue and bought me another pack of those and 2 packs of the extra wide and long (4 in a pack) ones for my birthday bc she felt sorry for me. I kept trying to pull my hair through and the sections were too big and I got that dam@ needle stuck in the curformer (with my hair in it, BTW) and I was crying trying to get that thing out! :perplexed I finally got it punched back through the curlformer and my hair out. Geez...

I think they work great if you use small sections, but dam@, I had already bought 6 packs and the rod and I needed really another 2 packs. I know my hair is thick, but COME ON...Like I said, the jury's still out on these things. My curls are still looking pretty today and I have to say they are very uniform and shiny ('cause I just got a relaxer), so it looks more like I have some natural 2c/3a hair vs a 3c/4a chick having used some flexirods! LOL! That's the only reason I haven't brought these puppies back up in Sally's...

I think, though, that if I were meticulous, and set a perfect spiral on my flexirods (I would have to purchase slightly larger rods than the ones I currently own), I could get the same exact results. Like I said, it looks like the flexirod set I had before, just more uniform, with a better overall shape and slightly larger curls.

At 9.99-12.99 a pack, though, is it worth it???:confused:

Yeah, thats what i see from others results. They look nice but if I can get the same with rods, then i'll do that. And are your Curlformer results in your Fotki?

Yeah, thats what i see from others results. They look nice but if I can get the same with rods, then i'll do that. And are your Curlformer results in your Fotki?[/quote]

Not yet. I have some other things I want to try first and then I'll post results, maybe later next week? I'll be sure to send a shout out when you can go look at them:yep:

Yeah, thats what i see from others results. They look nice but if I can get the same with rods, then i'll do that. And are your Curlformer results in your Fotki?[/quote]

Not yet. I have some other things I want to try first and then I'll post results, maybe later next week? I'll be sure to send a shout out when you can go look at them:yep:

Thanks!!!

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! I HOPE ITS FILLED WITH BLESSINGS!!

Sorry I'm late for the April check-in, I've just been bunning. I've also just bought a dryer (Hot Tools "Purple People Heater"). I used it this week to do a DC w/ Pantene R&N breakage defense conditioner. I want to do another one w/ ORS:

IMG_0196.jpg

Here's my bun as of today:

100_1304.jpg

Oh shoot, LOL forgot to get the actual bun in the pic. Well, let's use our imaginations :lachen:. I want to do a length check soon, so I will update accordingly.

Sorry I'm late for the April check-in, I've just been bunning. I've also just bought a dryer (Hot Tools "Purple People Heater"). I used it this week to do a DC w/ Pantene R&N breakage defense conditioner. I want to do another one w/ ORS:

IMG_0196.jpg

Here's my bun as of today:

100_1304.jpg

Oh shoot, LOL forgot to get the actual bun in the pic. Well, let's use our imaginations :lachen:. I want to do a length check soon, so I will update accordingly.

That is a gorgeous headband!!!! i like it:grin:

Galadriel, I can't wait to see your hair fully grown out natural! It's SO pretty! CUTE headband AND dryer...

Daephae, girl, thanks for the b-day wishes. I did have a good one!!!

Thanks ladies! I've been really into headbands lately and little accessories to make my buns and updos more interesting :grin:.

Hello Ladies!
Sorry I have not been posting lately. I had to step away from the hair for awhile, it was driving me crazy :spinning:. I got a half wig last week to wear as a protective style. I really like it and it is quick and easy which is a big plus. I will post pics in my fotki soon.

Here are my April update photos. The second is of my last roller set before my relaxer and the first is after the relaxer and my current length. It looks straight to have only air dried. Do you guys think I can make bra strap length by about november or december?
p_00068.jpg

p_00061.jpg
p_00054.jpg

Here are my April update photos. The second is of my last roller set before my relaxer and the first is after the relaxer and my current length. It looks straight to have only air dried. Do you guys think I can make bra strap length by about november or december?
p_00068.jpg

p_00061.jpg
p_00054.jpg

Girl, looks to me like you could be BSL by July/August!! November/December you could be MBL or very closed!!

Back