Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Silk Wrap AKA Saran Wrap!!!! I have and I really like how it come out. My hair comes out nice and shiny, bouncy, and silky smooth. For me lately that has been the only way to go.

FindingMe has also, check out her Foki, she has an album in there where she did a banging silk wrap.

This is how I have doing my hair lately. Macherieamore has a tutorial on how to do it on youtube
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/06/wrapping-video-.html

'Preciate the shout out!:grin: I did follow Macherie's video and it came out great!!!:yep:

Thanks Bign!!!!!!!!! I appreciate that. I am going to attempt one today. I did my rollerset via air dry, but my new growth is just not something to play with. i will definitely check those out. :grin::grin:

Just a note, though- I DO still blowout/straighten my roots before I wrap the hair with saran, just like I would do for a regular roller set...:yep:

I did a twist out today and I love it. My hair was looking sooo nice . I have pics but cant find my cord 2 put the pics online (Everything is in boxes) I will post pics as soon as I can and it will be my April check in

Just a note, though- I DO still blowout/straighten my roots before I wrap the hair with saran, just like I would do for a regular roller set...:yep:

I toured your Fotki today and i absolutely love how yours turned out. I definitely needed to blow out the roots. I have a lot of NG so it did not turn out how i wanted it. I felt upset that my airdry set went to waste. but i will keep trying because everyone elses are so gorgeous.

I did a twist out today and I love it. My hair was looking sooo nice . I have pics but cant find my cord 2 put the pics online (Everything is in boxes) I will post pics as soon as I can and it will be my April check in

twistout011-1.jpg

This looks so amazing pr3tty! Wow, I've never done a twist out, braidouts are my thing so I did another one this weekend but with less braids (pics will be in my fotki later), but this looks pretty awesome girl! And its so full too, love it!:yep:

I saw it in the other thread! Good gosh, it was SO DOGGONE PRETTY, PR3TTY!!!!!!:grin:

I toured your Fotki today and i absolutely love how yours turned out. I definitely needed to blow out the roots. I have a lot of NG so it did not turn out how i wanted it. I felt upset that my airdry set went to waste. but i will keep trying because everyone elses are so gorgeous.

SEEE...THAT's why I'm tryin' to get a video of that doggone Domincan blowout, bc they get the roots S-T-R-A-I-G-H-T!!! Mine comes out pretty straight to the naked eye with the hot air brush, but it will revert sometimes. I hear them Domincan blowouts don't revert...they snap them strands into submission:whip:

:lachen::lachen:

Last edited:

Girl, don't feel bad 'cause for every good result I get, I also get a crappy one! I just post the good ones in my FOTKI.:lachen: I'm working on a curlformer review right now that I basically am mad about bc my hair came out :busted: this morning, but I am still working and plan to post the results and a formal review of these doggone things (good and bad in the FOTKI) after I completely test them out...:hide:. Curlformers....the jury's still out....:eyebrows2

.....yeah.....i bought um....:lachen:

I use vrigin coconut oil that's food grade and EVOO that's food grade. I also use Vatika oil. I heard cocunt oil was good for you to eat, but it tastes kinda nutty and I would have to work to get used to it in my cooking. It's supposed to have all these benefits...

I can say, though that I used the EVOO with my relaxer this time and my hair was salon silky:yep:. Thanks Galadriel, for that tip!!!

Hi,FM!

How much EVOO do you pour into the relaxer?

This looks so amazing pr3tty! Wow, I've never done a twist out, braidouts are my thing so I did another one this weekend but with less braids (pics will be in my fotki later), but this looks pretty awesome girl! And its so full too, love it!:yep:

thanx.. The last braidout u did was really nice I know this one will be just as nice bc ur hair is lovely

SEEE...THAT's why I'm tryin' to get a video of that doggone Domincan blowout, bc they get the roots S-T-R-A-I-G-H-T!!! Mine comes out pretty straight to the naked eye with the hot air brush, but it will revert sometimes. I hear them Domincan blowouts don't revert...they snap them strands into submission:whip:

Yeah, your right they do snap them into submission.

I live in NYC where the Dominican salons are plentyfull. Before joining the forum I would go every so often and let them do my hair and even then I wouldn't let them blow my hair out that often. I have to tell you from what I know now all they are doing is frying up our hair, with those hot A!@ blow dryers. Yeah when I did get it fully blown, or just the roots blown my hair would be bangin straight when I left and would last a good while, but now I say all that was at what cost....you feel me :nono:. My daughter is 16 and loves to get her hair blown out, and she has gone from healthy hair when I cared for it to hair that breaks from just looking at a comb :lachen:, but she doesn't listen....I tell her all the time just go and get a wash and set but don't let them blow your hair, but no.....she says she doesn't like the look of just wrapped hair.

IMO the blow outs are good for unprocessed hair, when your relaxed your hair is just too fragile to handle all that heat, and I'm telling you it's way toooooo much heat that is being put on the hair, sometimes the shops are very smoky (literally) from the heat that is being given off by the blow dryers.

My girlfriend goes religiously and let them blow and relax her hair. She has a very nice length, she at BSL if not it's near there but her hair is very thin, from all the stretching of the hair with those round brushed and their techniques with relaxers is a whole other story. I think the the blowouts maybe good to do once in a blue maybe a special occasion or so but not constantly.

I know that doesn't help tell you how to do it, but just wanted to drop in my 2 cents :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: on the subject.

Yeah, your right they do snap them into submission.

I live in NYC where the Dominican salons are plentyfull. Before joining the forum I would go every so often and let them do my hair and even then I wouldn't let them blow my hair out that often. I have to tell you from what I know now all they are doing is frying up our hair, with those hot A!@ blow dryers. Yeah when I did get it fully blown, or just the roots blown my hair would be bangin straight when I left and would last a good while, but now I say all that was at what cost....you feel me :nono:. My daughter is 16 and loves to get her hair blown out, and she has gone from healthy hair when I cared for it to hair that breaks from just looking at a comb :lachen:, but she doesn't listen....I tell her all the time just go and get a wash and set but don't let them blow your hair, but no.....she says she doesn't like the look of just wrapped hair.

IMO the blow outs are good for unprocessed hair, when your relaxed your hair is just too fragile to handle all that heat, and I'm telling you it's way toooooo much heat that is being put on the hair, sometimes the shops are very smoky (literally) from the heat that is being given off by the blow dryers.

My girlfriend goes religiously and let them blow and relax her hair. She has a very nice length, she at BSL if not it's near there but her hair is very thin, from all the stretching of the hair with those round brushed and their techniques with relaxers is a whole other story. I think the the blowouts maybe good to do once in a blue maybe a special occasion or so but not constantly.

I know that doesn't help tell you how to do it, but just wanted to drop in my 2 cents :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: on the subject.

daggg....:perplexed see, all the ladies i saw had full, bountiful, blowin' in the wind and gettin' in their eyes BSL-ish hair! Do you think they just go every once in a while? I have a hot air brush and i just put in in my hair at the roots and kinda blow them out, maybe what I am doing is good enuf!:yep: My hair hasn't seemed to be hurt by my technique. I think I might just let that one go...:confused:

thanks FM & Bign 17 for the info...I'm going to try it with my next relaxer. I'll let u know what happens.

daggg....:perplexed see, all the ladies i saw had full, bountiful, blowin' in the wind and gettin' in their eyes BSL-ish hair! Do you think they just go every once in a while? I have a hot air brush and i just put in in my hair at the roots and kinda blow them out, maybe what I am doing is good enuf!:yep: My hair hasn't seemed to be hurt by my technique. I think I might just let that one go...:confused:

Yeah, quite often there are ladies up in there with hair down their back getting it blown too, not sure if it's a regular thing for them or not, and from what I've been reading on the boards some say their hair is ok with direct heat (that one puzzles me). But the process really is alot of heat. You know how you see white women getting their hair blown with that big round brush it's very similar to that, except your hair has already been dried with a roller set. They wrap the hair around that brush, zap that hot A$% dryer at your scalp. and pull, to straighten out the root and then if your getting a full blow, they pull down the length of the hair with the brush and the dryer and then target your ends tryin to get the bump at the bottom. Hard to explain it but hopefully that gives you and idea.

thanks FM & Bign 17 for the info...I'm going to try it with my next relaxer. I'll let u know what happens.

Yeah, give it a try. Believe me I was leary about doing it at first, just didn't seem like it was the right thing to be doing. "My Beauty Supply Girl" told me to do it, a Dominican lady and up until I mixed the relaxer I debated about it. But I ended up trying it and I won't do my relaxer any other way now.

Also if your about to relax I would say take a look at Sistaslicks articles on what to do pre and post relaxer. I followed her steps, and I would say this is was the best relaxer I've had ever, my hair did really well.

Girl, don't feel bad 'cause for every good result I get, I also get a crappy one! I just post the good ones in my FOTKI.:lachen: I'm working on a curlformer review right now that I basically am mad about bc my hair came out :busted: this morning, but I am still working and plan to post the results and a formal review of these doggone things (good and bad in the FOTKI) after I completely test them out...:hide:. Curlformers....the jury's still out....:eyebrows2

.....yeah.....i bought um....:lachen:

Thanks FM. I will try it again. It is trial and error. I didn't think my air sets would be good, but they turned out good.

:lachen:@ the Curlformers!!! I want some so bad, but i do not need them, i do not!!

And Pretty, your hair looks so thick and gorgeous!!!!! I love it:grin:

FM your hair look FABULOUS girl :band:!!! LUV IT...LUV IT ...LUV IT !!!!....You gonna make me texlax or sumthin' :grin::grin::grin: I bought some THICKER FULLER HAIR tryin' to be like you!!!

FIYA I am anxiously awaitng the update on those curlformers...keep me posted :timer:.

Hey FM, I didnt get a DBO, But the other week when I went to the salon this Puerto Rican lady blow dried my hair and it was sooo... straight. It was blowing all over the place. I looked like the straight hair was coming right out of my scalp. It was so nice, however the heat just about killed me. I could barely sit still:nono: Girl, I was jumping out of my seat it was so hot. I am suprised my scalp was not burnt! So...my hair was swangin, but I paid for it! I think you should stick to what you are doing. Your hair looks great, and you dont want all that super duper heat messing up your pretty hair.

Hey FM, I didnt get a DBO, But the other week when I went to the salon this Puerto Rican lady blow dried my hair and it was sooo... straight. It was blowing all over the place. I looked like the straight hair was coming right out of my scalp. It was so nice, however the heat just about killed me. I could barely sit still:nono: Girl, I was jumping out of my seat it was so hot. I am suprised my scalp was not burnt! So...my hair was swangin, but I paid for it! I think you should stick to what you are doing. Your hair looks great, and you dont want all that super duper heat messing up your pretty hair.

See, that's what everyone keeps on saying about the DBOs...I think I just need to keep on keeping on!:lachen:

Back