Newbie Challenge 08 P2

On another note, I have fallen prey to the forum madness. Everytime I read a thread or something new I want to try it. My latest thing is that I am trying to find something that I like just as much as the OJON line, but less expensive.

I have been trying several different pre-poo oils and hydrating poo and cons, but I don't think I have come up with anything that I like as much as using all the items in the OJON line exclusively.

Last thing I tried last night was Walgreen's bioinfusion line. http://www.walgreens.com/search/search_results.jsp?_dyncharset=ASCII&term=olive+oil (scroll down page) Anyone tried this?

I used their shampoo, DC (sat under cap with heat 15 m), leave-in con and shine serum. I thought my hair was going to come out bouncin' and behavin'. It actually came out soft and fluffy, but there was NO shine and my hair was so dull and looked lifeless. :perplexed I had to bust out my coconut oil and Keracare High Sheen Glossifier to give me some shine this morning. I am also 8 weeks post, so not sure if that was a factor as well?

All in all, the products were OK (they are on sale this week, so I decided to splurge), but I used larger rollers for my blowout this time and I think I like slightly more curl to my hair. It did well enough for me to use the remainder of the products I bought. Either curled or completely straight is how I like my hair...to me, this in-between looks slightly grannyish...:ohwell:

Pics below...click to make them larger...

Attachments

• 100_4984 edit.JPG
    100_4984 edit.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Okay ladies... I'm throwing in the towel... :giveup:
I have been struggling with this hair since Feb 6... and I am actually proud of myself for having it out this long, because I usually braid it up the next day. But this is entirely too much work. My schedule is beyond hectic, and for the past 6 weeks I have had to sacrifice much needed :sleep2:and time at the :strong:and its making me feel like :eek:. I have too much breakage, and I'm tired of vaccumming my bathroom floor! :spinning: But I have learned too much here to give up on hair care:nono2:. I am going to get my hair braided, in some form, and do my own C&G method. So I will still keep a regimin and I am still on the path to growing my hair.
I knew I had to give it up because last night I fell asleep without doing anything to my hair because I was SO TIRED and this morning I HAD to wash this mess and just rock a small, tight :afro: which is SO not me!! My co-workers were like " Ummm... did you cut your hair!?" I'm like NO, its called shrinkage! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't know if this puts me out of the challenge (pr3tty, you be the judge) If it does, then I'll be sad, but it is what it is... if not, then I'll continue to post my pics and reggie and stuff

awww..please check in from time to time to let us know how your are growing...we'll miss ya!

Okay ladies... I'm throwing in the towel... :giveup:
I have been struggling with this hair since Feb 6... and I am actually proud of myself for having it out this long, because I usually braid it up the next day. But this is entirely too much work. My schedule is beyond hectic, and for the past 6 weeks I have had to sacrifice much needed :sleep2:and time at the :strong:and its making me feel like :eek:. I have too much breakage, and I'm tired of vaccumming my bathroom floor! :spinning: But I have learned too much here to give up on hair care:nono2:. I am going to get my hair braided, in some form, and do my own C&G method. So I will still keep a regimin and I am still on the path to growing my hair.
I knew I had to give it up because last night I fell asleep without doing anything to my hair because I was SO TIRED and this morning I HAD to wash this mess and just rock a small, tight :afro: which is SO not me!! My co-workers were like " Ummm... did you cut your hair!?" I'm like NO, its called shrinkage! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't know if this puts me out of the challenge (pr3tty, you be the judge) If it does, then I'll be sad, but it is what it is... if not, then I'll continue to post my pics and reggie and stuff

CoCopuff You can no longer be apart of this thread bc u r getting braids.... Child please you should know us better than that and be able to tell that this is a group of hair growing women thats here for each other we r not stuck on what you have to do its whats best for you and whats best for your hair. We might be able to learn something from you being in braids. Im interest in the C&G method we all learn from the different things we all do and thats what makes what we have here so great sooo to answer your question u do not have to stop being apart of this thread bc u have braids. This challenge is to get to your goal the best way you can instead of a specific challenge that you only have to do what theyre doing.

CoCopuff, I completely agree with pr3tty getting braids does not mean you can no longer be apart of this thread. We do learn from each other, If we are all doing the same exact thing, how much can we really learn. While your hair is in braids take regular photos of the new grow, to track you progress, and also share with us. We would love to hear how things are working for you, so please dont feel that you can no longer be part of the group.
Oh, and I just started wearing braids this week. Just large box braids that I curl and put up in the pony. They dont last too long; about a week or so. But its nice because I can take them out weekly do my routine and put them back in for the week. It saves so much time and stress during the week, I love it. Maybe you can consider something like this. I have a pic in my fotki if you want to check it out. HTH

CoCopuff You can no longer be apart of this thread bc u r getting braids.... Child please you should know us better than that and be able to tell that this is a group of hair growing women thats here for each other we r not stuck on what you have to do its whats best for you and whats best for your hair. We might be able to learn something from you being in braids. Im interest in the C&G method we all learn from the different things we all do and thats what makes what we have here so great sooo to answer your question u do not have to stop being apart of this thread bc u have braids. This challenge is to get to your goal the best way you can instead of a specific challenge that you only have to do what theyre doing.

Happy Easter ladies!

This is my easter hairstyle (I did a braidout). Didn't come out too great b/c I did it on dry hair and just moisturized it. I put rollers on the ends and slept in the braids overnight and took them out this morning. It looks ok...I guess :look:.

EasterHair.jpg

EasterHair2.jpg

EasterHair3.jpg

I'm planning on washing (w/ my Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint shampoo) and dc'ing w/ LeKair aloe cholesterol (yes, I hopped on the cholesterol bandwagon LOL).

I'm just going to bun and do updos the rest of the week.

Happy Easter Ladies!!!!!
Galadriel,your hair looks really pretty. I love the shine. How is the carols daughter working for you?

Happy Easter Ladies!!!!!
Galadriel,your hair looks really pretty. I love the shine. How is the carols daughter working for you?

Thanks Jassy and Fiya. I like the shampoo so far; it doesn't leave my hair feeling stripped. The smell is marvelous.

Hey Ladies, I hope everyone had a blessed Resurrection Day! I did rollerset last Thursday (YAY?) I'm happy that my hair is long enough to roll (I have a pic that I'll post tomorrow). HOWEVER it was a country, granny lookin' mess! LOL. I bumped it out, saran wrapped, tried to pin it up...nothing helped! I've come to the conclusion that I need another 2 inches to be able to wear a rollerset proudly. :yep:

But I'm happy that I made progress. In one short month!

CoCopuff, I completely agree with pr3tty getting braids does not mean you can no longer be apart of this thread. We do learn from each other, If we are all doing the same exact thing, how much can we really learn. While your hair is in braids take regular photos of the new grow, to track you progress, and also share with us. We would love to hear how things are working for you, so please dont feel that you can no longer be part of the group.
Oh, and I just started wearing braids this week. Just large box braids that I curl and put up in the pony. They dont last too long; about a week or so. But its nice because I can take them out weekly do my routine and put them back in for the week. It saves so much time and stress during the week, I love it. Maybe you can consider something like this. I have a pic in my fotki if you want to check it out. HTH

*Big Smile*​
Ladies, you are right! Some of these other challenges require you to have your hair in a certain style or follow a specific process, but we are just trying to grow our hair by any means necessary! :grin: Keeping up with this challenge will keep me from getting lazy and not taking care of my actual hair while in these kinky twists. I have A LOT of pics (I'm a camera nut!) of my hair before the twists... I definitely made some progress:yep: So once I get myself back schedule I will figure out my new reg and post pics!​

BTW, all of you who are in love with ORS replenishing paks, try adding EVOO to it and sit under the dryer for 45 minutes or so... :love:

*Big Smile*​

Ladies, you are right! Some of these other challenges require you to have your hair in a certain style or follow a specific process, but we are just trying to grow our hair by any means necessary! :grin: Keeping up with this challenge will keep me from getting lazy and not taking care of my actual hair while in these kinky twists. I have A LOT of pics (I'm a camera nut!) of my hair before the twists... I definitely made some progress:yep: So once I get myself back schedule I will figure out my new reg and post pics!​

BTW, all of you who are in love with ORS replenishing paks, try adding EVOO to it and sit under the dryer for 45 minutes or so... :love:

Oh yeah? (While rubbing my chin in deep thought).:lachen:

I tried castor oil on saturday night Im hoping to get some thickness from this. I hate the smell soooo much but Im gonna try and stick to it.

Anyone else using Castor Oil??

Hey Ladies, I hope everyone had a blessed Resurrection Day! I did rollerset last Thursday (YAY?) I'm happy that my hair is long enough to roll (I have a pic that I'll post tomorrow). HOWEVER it was a country, granny lookin' mess! LOL. I bumped it out, saran wrapped, tried to pin it up...nothing helped! I've come to the conclusion that I need another 2 inches to be able to wear a rollerset proudly. :yep:

Cant wait 2 see the pic

Hello Ladies, I havn't been doing much with my hair since I am wearing braids. I have been using mn about 4 days a week. I would use it more but its so oily, and it leaves my hair wet. Im going to work on a better mix once I finish up what I have used.

Has anyone tried the Wen line of products, they seem great. I read reviews about the line on QVC and all the AA women really loved and thought it was great for their hair. I am thinking about purchasing after I finish up the Ojon (which I have a lot of). The only bad thing is the price. The stuff is pricey and you have to use alot, 16-32 pumps from what I have read. That alot of product, but if its as good as they say it is maybe its worth it. :ohwell:

:orders: Hey Y'all

Lot's to say :blah: so here goes. No :click: this week until Fri or Sat...my DD(pic taker went out of town and took the :camera: w/her :crybaby:).

Cocopuff good luck w/ the braids...don't forget...moisturize moisturize.​

Daephae & Jassy I purchased the Organix Coconut Milk weightless mousse w/the free rebate at CVS...I can't wait to use it...back to tweaking the braidout. I won't quit until I get it right. The 1st braid out was still the best(couldn't leave well enough alone.)​

Pr3tty how's the flat iron withdrawl? Have you tried cross wrapping to keep your hair straight overnight? I use castor oil on my ends and hair line only after NTM so the smell doesn't bother me.​

Daephae congrats on the roller set :congrats:can't wait to see the pics.​

Finding Me your hair is beautiful...lots of :bling:I had to put on my :cool2:.​

Jassy you have braid skills for real...good job :love2:.​

Galadriel nice braid out :clap:.​

OK I'm done. Whew!!!!
braidout3-7Aa.jpg

Last edited:

Lot's to say :blah: so here goes. No :click: this week until Fri or Sat...my DD(pic taker went out off town and took the :camera: w/her :crybaby:).

Daephae & Jassy I purchased the Coconut Milk weightless mousse w/the free rebate at CVS...I can't wait to use it...back to tweaking the braidout. I won't quit until get it right. The 1st braid out was still the best(couldn't leave well enoough alone.)​

Pr3tty how's the flat iron withdrawl? Have you tried cross wrapping to keeping your hair straight overnight? I use castor oil on my ends and hair line only after NTM so the smell doesn't bother me.​

OK I'm done. Whew!!!

Im doing pretty good Not using it at all... I didnt wsh this week but I've been staying away from that iron and just keeping my hair up. I dont think my hair is growing thou bc I have no NG and its been oh snap its only 2 weeks Im pushing it right??:yep:

I tried castor oil on saturday night Im hoping to get some thickness from this. I hate the smell soooo much but Im gonna try and stick to it.

Anyone else using Castor Oil??

I use castor oil, but i mix mine with EVOO. I can't stand the smell of either, but it goes away pretty fast. I do love it though for to add to my pre poos.

I think I figured out part of my hair thinning issue. Oil is Not moisturizer. :wallbash:Duhh. :grin: I had added protein thinking it would help but all my hair wanted was moisture and oil is to seal. There is suppose to be a balance between protein and moisture. Ignorance is not bliss, it cost me hair. Live and learn:drunk:.

I have a q though is it there a better time of day to moisturize (day or night).

I think I figured out part of my hair thinning issue. Oil is Not moisturizer. :wallbash:Duhh. :grin: I had added protein thinking it would help but all my hair wanted was moisture and oil is to seal. There is suppose to be a balance between protein and moisture. Ignorance is not bliss, it cost me hair. Live and learn:drunk:.

I have a q though is it there a better time of day to moisturize (day or night).

I didn't know that either :nono:. Pre LHCF I always thought oil was moisture, just as most of us did...don't feel bad. Depending on your moisture needs you can do it twice a day in the morning and at night or at least until your problem is corrected. If you choose both am/pm make sure not to use too much. A nickel/quarter size amount is probably enough depending on your hair length. I use a dime size twice a day. Also wait a few minutes before combing (to allow the moisturizer to dry some) or you'll lose any curls you may have.

It really depends on your preference and how you wear your hair.

ETA: Sitting here thinking about the moisture/sealing issue...I don't even think most STYLISTS know that! I've spent thousands on my hair over the years and battled problems with "dandruff"...plenty of stylists poured oil and grease on my scalp but NOT ONE stylist ever told me to moisturize and seal. :wallbash:

Makes me wonder what cosmotology school is teaching them.

Last edited:

Hey Samantha. I don't think there is a certain time. Most people do it at night before wrapping, or putting a bonnet on before bed. But you can do it anytime of the day. I choose to do it morning and night because i lack moisture. HTH.

Hey Samantha. I don't think there is a certain time. Most people do it at night before wrapping, or putting a bonnet on before bed. But you can do it anytime of the day. I choose to do it morning and night because i lack moisture. HTH.

Thanks fiya'slovechild,

I'll probably go for twice a day until my hair returns to normal. Although I'm not quite sure what that is yet :newbie:. But thanks to a great support group I will get there.

Lot's to say :blah: so here goes. No :click: this week until Fri or Sat...my DD(pic taker went out off town and took the :camera: w/her :crybaby:).

Daephae & Jassy I purchased the Coconut Milk weightless mousse w/the free rebate at CVS...I can't wait to use it...back to tweaking the braidout. I won't quit until get it right. The 1st braid out was still the best(couldn't leave well enoough alone.)​

Pr3tty how's the flat iron withdrawl? Have you tried cross wrapping to keeping your hair straight overnight? I use castor oil on my ends and hair line only after NTM so the smell doesn't bother me.​

OK I'm done. Whew!!!!
braidout3-7Aa.jpg

I'm sooo fiending over your Organix Mousse results! :lick: I can't wait! :grin:

I was gonna post my pics but my camera cord (usb?) is MIA...:ohwell:

Hello Ladies!!!! Sorry to be away from the board for sooo long but I have been uber busy!!!! Here's my update:

1. Having no internet access for 3 weeks has shown me that I have become an internet junkie, and that I CANNOT live without it

2. Losing my camera for a week was one of the most devasting things that has happened to me this year. All I could think of was how my dad was going to kill me, that I lost soo many cute pics that I could no longer post, and how my dad was going to KILL me! Somehow, I managed to find my camera (stuck underneath passenger's seat of my friends car) and now I can upload my pics!

3. I flatironed my hair for the first time in almost 6 months! It came out so well! My hair grew! Yipeeee!!!! Unfortunately my camera was lost during this time period and no documentation of my straightened hair occured.

4. I caved in and bought curlfomers (the blue and green ones). I love them! They are super easy to use and my hair turned out great. The only downside was that I should have bought the longer ones. I underestimated the length of my hair and so on some curlers some of my hair stuck out of the end and did not curl (frizzy). Again I had no camera to document this.

5. Thank you FindingMe for the the hair suggestions. I ended up wearing it pulled back in a low pony. I will post pics

6. I went to NYC this past weekend for a minority medical student conference and I had so much fun. The majority of the time I wore my hair curly, since I had used curlformers. For the banquet I wore my hair in the gorgeous bun!! I couldn't believe how big it was!!

7. I've been keeping up with my regimen and overall I am pleased with my progress. I will post pics as soon as I upload them

8. Happy birthday to all Ladies born in March!!!!

You'll be rollersetting in no time! :yep:

:orders:Hey Y'all...I went and ordered something else:fan:...I swear I couldn't help it...a natural board member hipped me to this non chemical temporary hair straightener w/thermal heat protection. Y'all know my hair won't stay straight more than 1-2 days after flat ironing :locks:. LHCFer said her natural stayed straight 7-8 days. So I had to check it out!!

beyondstraight.jpg

I ordered it from HSN...has anybody here ever tried it? If it doesn't work I'm sending it back. Hopefully if will be here in a few days and I can use it this weekend.

:orders:Hey Y'all...I went and ordered something else:fan:...I swear I couldn't help it...a natural board member hipped me to this non chemical temporary hair straightener w/thermal heat protection. Y'all know my hair won't stay straight more than 1-2 days after flat ironing :locks:. LHCFer said her natural stayed straight 7-8 days. So I had to check it out!!

beyondstraight.jpg

I ordered it from HSN...has anybody here ever tried it? If it doesn't work I'm sending it back. Hopefully if will be here in a few days and I can use it this weekend.

I'd be interested to see how well it works...My hair is ok with the straightening and staying straight after, so it's just curiosity for me. Meanwhile, I am still waiting on my Boundless Tresses hair growth oil. My hair seems to be growing at the rate of a snail sleeping...:perplexed

Back