Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Hey Ladies

Im gonna relax this weekend for the first time since being a member here and I looked at a lot of relaxer threads and I think I know what I should do.

I need to know if anyone have any suggestions or anything I should make sure to do. I dont need links to page bc I may have went thru them all just whatever you know off hand.

Im thinking of using ORS no lye but I really dont know the ph level. I have fine thin hair so I need something thats not too strong

So let me know I will be taking notes... Thanx ladies

I part my hair in 4 sections and it's more manageable this way for me to apply the relaxer and smooth out the sections. I get a pretty even relaxer this way. I always have to base my ears and forehead and back of neck really well, bc I always seem to get relaxer there.

I am still learning, too, but one thing I have learned is that when I rinse the relaxer out, my hair works better when I do it in the tub, with my hair hanging down to the side so the water can run down my hair shaft. When I flip my hair over upside down in the sink, and wash, I am rubbing up the hair shaft and my hair gets more tangled and rough this way. :perplexed The relaxer end results don't come out as well either.

Once I rinse, I do the rest of the steps in the shower so my cuticle doesn't get too roughed up. My hair feels smoother and less rough this way. I guess cause my hair is porous? Not sure. But it definitely helps with the manipulation bc I am not doing excess detangling...

I am using Silk Elements right now, but I am not that impressed. :ohwell: My hair was kinda hard, but I think my hard water may also have something to do with it. I will try it a couple of more times just to make sure (to use it up) as it didn't harm my hair and I am 5 weeks post and my hair seems fine. Revlon Realistic seems to work the best for my hair in over the counter BSS relaxers. I have been using Affirm for the past 7 years at the salon, but I also notice my hair has thinned a lot (not sure if from age or this relaxer over time...not sure) I also got the ORS Rep Paks, so I am sure those will help as an after relaxer treatment. It's what's in the ORS relaxer kits...

GOOD LUCK!!:grin:

I part my hair in 4 sections and it's more manageable this way for me to apply the relaxer and smooth out the sections. I get a pretty even relaxer this way. I always have to base my ears and forehead and back of neck really well, bc I always seem to get relaxer there.

I am still learning, too, but one thing I have learned is that when I rinse the relaxer out, my hair works better when I do it in the tub, with my hair hanging down to the side so the water can run down my hair shaft. When I flip my hair over upside down in the sink, and wash, I am rubbing up the hair shaft and my hair gets more tangled and rough this way. :perplexed The relaxer end results don't come out as well either.

Once I rinse, I do the rest of the steps in the shower so my cuticle doesn't get too roughed up. My hair feels smoother and less rough this way. I guess cause my hair is porous? Not sure. But it definitely helps with the manipulation bc I am not doing excess detangling...

I am using Silk Elements right now, but I am not that impressed. :ohwell: My hair was kinda hard, but I think my hard water may also have something to do with it. I will try it a couple of more times just to make sure (to use it up) as it didn't harm my hair and I am 5 weeks post and my hair seems fine. Revlon Realistic seems to work the best for my hair in over the counter BSS relaxers. I have been using Affirm for the past 7 years at the salon, but I also notice my hair has thinned a lot (not sure if from age or this relaxer over time...not sure) I also got the ORS Rep Paks, so I am sure those will help as an after relaxer treatment. It's what's in the ORS relaxer kits...

GOOD LUCK!!:grin:

Thanx I am taking notes

ummm, i just got a plain white t-shirt and drew the lines on the back with a Sharpie and a yard stick...:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I started with a line at APL, since it was easy to determine on the shirt and then went 2 inches up and 2 inches down and just kept on going...When I had all my lines, I lettered them :yep:

Hi Ladies,

I've missed you all. Between life, work and trying to search through some of the other threads, I feel like I've been gone a long time.

Findingme, I like that idea, I'm going to do the same thing, it will definitely make it easier to keep track of my length progress. Thanks for the tip.

Hey Ladies

I'm gonna relax this weekend for the first time since being a member here and I looked at a lot of relaxer threads and I think I know what I should do.

I need to know if anyone have any suggestions or anything I should make sure to do. I dont need links to page bc I may have went thru them all just whatever you know off hand.

Im thinking of using ORS no lye but I really dont know the ph level. I have fine thin hair so I need something thats not too strong

Hi Pr3tty,

I aside from what FindingMe just mentioned about parting in sections and washing and rinsing with the cuticle instead of against it. I would also would recommend you do a pre-relax clarifying and protein treatment 3-5 days before you relax.

I'm 6 weeks post and am almost due for a relaxer myself, 3/14 is the big day and I can't wait cause the NG is a monster right now, although I have to say it's been pretty manageable since I've been taking care of my hair. So, I've been trying to read up as much as I can on self relaxing here at the forum. I've been self relaxing for years, and after all I've learned these past couple of days while reading the threads, I see that I've been doing it totally wrong, so this time I'm going to follow SistaSlick's article on relaxing step by step, and see if it makes a difference. I already plan to do my pre relax treatments on Sunday and relax the following Sunday doing a mid relaxer protein treatment, and a protein and Chelating treatment 1 week after the relaxer.

Hi Pr3tty,

I aside from what FindingMe just mentioned about parting in sections and washing and rinsing with the cuticle instead of against it. I would also would recommend you do a pre-relax clarifying and protein treatment 3-5 days before you relax.

I'm 6 weeks post and am almost due for a relaxer myself, 3/14 is the big day and I can't wait cause the NG is a monster right now, although I have to say it's been pretty manageable since I've been taking care of my hair. So, I've been trying to read up as much as I can on self relaxing here at the forum. I've been self relaxing for years, and after all I've learned these past couple of days while reading the threads, I see that I've been doing it totally wrong, so this time I'm going to follow SistaSlick's article on relaxing step by step, and see if it makes a difference. I already plan to do my pre relax treatments on Sunday and relax the following Sunday doing a mid relaxer protein treatment, and a protein and Chelating treatment 1 week after the relaxer.

Thanx Im writing everything down

Alrighty here are my update photos

The first is my starting pic, my goal is APL by 8/31/08 I hope I make it.

Hi Pr3tty,

I'm 6 weeks post and am almost due for a relaxer myself, 3/14 is the big day and I can't wait cause the NG is a monster right now, although I have to say it's been pretty manageable since I've been taking care of my hair. So, I've been trying to read up as much as I can on self relaxing here at the forum. I've been self relaxing for years, and after all I've learned these past couple of days while reading the threads, I see that I've been doing it totally wrong, so this time I'm going to follow SistaSlick's article on relaxing step by step, and see if it makes a difference. I already plan to do my pre relax treatments on Sunday and relax the following Sunday doing a mid relaxer protein treatment, and a protein and Chelating treatment 1 week after the relaxer.[/quote]

OK, so I think I am with you :yep:, but wanted to know which products you use? For pre-relax the week before, I clarify using a good clarifying shampoo (either Mizani Purphying, ORS Uplifting, or Aveda Can't remember the name). When I relax, I will use ORS Rep Pak for a mild relaxer protein/DC, 1 week after I was using a good pre-poo (typically OJON) and Aphogee 2 min.

I don't think I chelate. :ohwell: What's a chelating treatment and which one do you use? What does it do for your hair?

Last edited:
My next relaxer will be in March 13th for my birthday. I will get it done in a salon. I have done my last 2 .I bought affirm but I was so afraid to leave it on to long. so I underprocessed my hair. I also have a shoulder injury and my arm it tired and hurts really bad. I will continue my plan just have relaxer professional done. Pr3tty I wish you the best I choice Affirm it is so creme it washes out very well. I have been pleased.

Hi Ladies,

I've missed you all. Between life, work and trying to search through some of the other threads, I feel like I've been gone a long time.

Findingme, I like that idea, I'm going to do the same thing, it will definitely make it easier to keep track of my length progress. Thanks for the tip.

just took a white tee shirt also an measure in one inch increment the collar of my shirt starts at the base of my neck and my hair is across the three inch mark. :grin:. I think I will add marks for sl,apl, bsl etc good idea:grin:

Hi Pr3tty,

I'm 6 weeks post and am almost due for a relaxer myself, 3/14 is the big day and I can't wait cause the NG is a monster right now, although I have to say it's been pretty manageable since I've been taking care of my hair. So, I've been trying to read up as much as I can on self relaxing here at the forum. I've been self relaxing for years, and after all I've learned these past couple of days while reading the threads, I see that I've been doing it totally wrong, so this time I'm going to follow SistaSlick's article on relaxing step by step, and see if it makes a difference. I already plan to do my pre relax treatments on Sunday and relax the following Sunday doing a mid relaxer protein treatment, and a protein and Chelating treatment 1 week after the relaxer.[/quote]

OK, so I think I am with you :yep:, but wanted to know which products you use? For pre-relax the week before, I clarify using a good clarifying shampoo (either Mizani Purphying, ORS Uplifting, or Aveda Can't remember the name). When I relax, I will use ORS Rep Pak for a mild relaxer protein/DC, 1 week after I was using a good pre-poo (typically OJON) and Aphogee 2 min.

I don't think I chelate. :ohwell: What's a chelating treatment and which one do you use? What does it do for your hair?

I came across Chelating on some of the threads, and really it's just a type of shampoo. I use a no-lye perm (Precise Mild) and the chelating shampoo does more than remove the pollutants, etc that a clarifying shampoo removes, it goes a step further and removes the mineral and calcium build that no-lye relaxers leave behind. When I first started lurking around on the threads I took a look at the lye vs no-lye thread and found out that this is something that I should be doing at least once a month.

I got the steps for pre-relax treatment and the mid protein treatment from the below articles from SistaSlick and this forum link
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?pa ge=6

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=153243&highlight=relaxers

I know that I've been pretty light on the protein, so today I purchased ApHogee -the one that gets hard on your hair and will do that on Sunday. So I'm going to wash with my Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing & Chelating Shampoo, do the ApHogee treatment, rinse with my KUZ shampoo and condition with my KUZ mixed with EVOO with heat for 60 min. for moisture.

When I relax I'm going to do the mid relaxer protein treatment but with a lighter protein, I have Motions CPR that will now be incorporated as a step between rinsing the relaxer out and applying the neutralizing shampoo.

A week after my relaxer I'll probably just do the CPR for 15 min, then on to my normal regi

ummm, i just got a plain white t-shirt and drew the lines on the back with a Sharpie and a yard stick...:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I started with a line at APL, since it was easy to determine on the shirt and then went 2 inches up and 2 inches down and just kept on going...When I had all my lines, I lettered them :yep:

lol, it looks professional from my eyes. I think thats what i'm gonna have to do,lol.

AWESOME!!! :grin: Your hair looks great!!! Girl, I really think you will make it!!!! :yep:

Ah! thanks for the motivation. All the work and money we put into having healthy hair is no joke. But I have to tell you when I went into the BSS today that I've seem to become a regular in (they might as well give me a job there :lachen:) and they know me by name, and it doesn't help that I have to pass it on my way home every day sometimes 2 and 3 times a day.......anyway as I dirgress......My sales Lady told me she sees an improvement in my hair also, so it's moments like those that make it all worth it :yawn:

Hey Ladies

Im gonna relax this weekend for the first time since being a member here and I looked at a lot of relaxer threads and I think I know what I should do.

Pr3tty, I use Precise mild no-lye and I like it, before I started using it, my hair use to tangle up somthin terrible, but after a while of using it I haven't used anything else. I use it on my 16 yr old also. I really like it now that "My Sales Lady" told me to add 2 teaspoons of EVOO to the mix, (yeah a was skeptical and questioned that one too, I actually made up my mind to do it at the very last minute, and I'm glad I did) the last time I relaxed my hair it came out so full, shiny and silky.

Ladies dont 4get its March 1st and our progress pics are due.... Also plz include any new products you've tried or stop using....

I have been sick so thats the reason I have not been on in a day or two. I am not sure if I am going to wash my hair this week maybe if I feel better.

I will still post my progress pic from Feb 1st to last week.

will be relaxing for my birthday march 17/ relaxer on 13th I can't wait to see my hair straight:blush3::cantlook: I haven't seen my hair look decent since October. Stay tuned

Hey Pr3tty, Your hair looks great! Keep it up! You may have read this during your searchs but I read of people protecting their hair with vaseline (not the newgrowth). this will help protect the hair if you overlap a bit. I'v never tried Vaseline, but i do use Ojon restorative (you all know how much I love this stuff). Also ORS seems to be a fav of many, maybe one of the other ladies can give you the pH level. Good Luck!!!
Hey Ladies

okay i finally found where I was allowed to join.:grin:. I have to say that the steps i took for the growth I got was I braided my hair and came up with a spray that I gotta from reading posts. I got a 240z spray bottle and spray my hair once or twice a day wth it.
2oz vitamin e
2 oz of liquid MSM (i found it at health food store]
8 0z african pride braid spray
2 oz of parneuv tea tree scalp oil
4 oz of mtg(later switched to sulu)
and the rest of the bottle I filled with infusium 23

I braided my hair in medium sized individual braids and noticed edges were pull , So I corned the front half and let individual hang in the back. I rebraided the front every two weeks which kept it fresh looking. I wash every week with the regimen I came up with just like it was not braided. In the shower and I rinsed VERY VERY well to decrease build- up. I was pleased with the first 6 weeks I took it down two and rebraided another six week. I decided to stay in the braids when I saw the wind weather ripping through others hair. I will post my weekly regiem soon. this post is getting long. IMO Protective styles do help you retain length.

HAPPY GROWING EVERYONE
Nice progress. You will have that ponytail in no time:reddancer:

I came across Chelating on some of the threads, and really it's just a type of shampoo. I use a no-lye perm (Precise Mild) and the chelating shampoo does more than remove the pollutants, etc that a clarifying shampoo removes, it goes a step further and removes the mineral and calcium build that no-lye relaxers leave behind. When I first started lurking around on the threads I took a look at the lye vs no-lye thread and found out that this is something that I should be doing at least once a month.

I got the steps for pre-relax treatment and the mid protein treatment from the below articles from SistaSlick and this forum link
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?pa ge=6

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=153243&highlight=relaxers

I know that I've been pretty light on the protein, so today I purchased ApHogee -the one that gets hard on your hair and will do that on Sunday. So I'm going to wash with my Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing & Chelating Shampoo, do the ApHogee treatment, rinse with my KUZ shampoo and condition with my KUZ mixed with EVOO with heat for 60 min. for moisture.

When I relax I'm going to do the mid relaxer protein treatment but with a lighter protein, I have Motions CPR that will now be incorporated as a step between rinsing the relaxer out and applying the neutralizing shampoo.

A week after my relaxer I'll probably just do the CPR for 15 min, then on to my normal regi

So, do I need to chelate if I use a lye based relaxer, or is it just for no-lye?
:look: Girl, I'm all corn-frused...:perplexed

Hey Pr3tty, Your hair looks great! Keep it up! You may have read this during your searchs but I read of people protecting their hair with vaseline (not the newgrowth). this will help protect the hair if you overlap a bit. I'v never tried Vaseline, but i do use Ojon restorative (you all know how much I love this stuff). Also ORS seems to be a fav of many, maybe one of the other ladies can give you the pH level. Good Luck!!!

I tried that and my hair was greasy and dry at the same time after I finshed all my washes. :perplexed I couldn't figure how to get the vaseline out And I had washed it like 5 or 6 times...and my hair came out like grand-ma-ma's hair when I got done. :look: All thick and stiff and greasy. :nono: I have heard that folks use silk amino gels before and that helps. This seems like it would be easier to wash out. I am trying that on my ends when I relax next time...

lol, I would like to know as well. I do know that No lye has a ph of 18 as to lye which is 14. So i'm thinking since both are high, it may be okay. I'm still curious though.

yeah, ima haveta read these threads to get more info on that...I'll let you know what I find out...:yep:

Edited to add:
I think you just need a chelating shampoo if you have hard water or use no-lye relaxers to remove calcium and mineral deposits on the hair. If you relax and use lye or have soft water, you are fine. Otherwise, a lot of folks are recommending the ORS Aloe Shampoo for chelating purposes.

I don't use no-lye, but I do have hard water, so chelating once a month on GP, might not be a bad idea for me....:yep: My head is spinning bc I learn SOMETHING new on this forum EVERY-SINGLE-DAY!!!:drunk: I LOVE IT!!!

Last edited:
Hey ladies!!! Let me tell you how much it sucks not to have internet!!!:wallbash: My cable and internet have been out for a week and the cable company can't come and fix it until tomorrow! But I just wanted to say that there is some serious hair growing going on! Good job ladies. My hair has decided that it really likes co-washes with HE breaks over (thanks Pretty!) and twist outs. I did a twist out this morning with Ms.jessie's curly meringue and I like it a lot better than the curly pudding. I will post pics soon. Also for my march check in I was thinking about straightening my hair to see its true length. I haven't straightened my hair since October but I have a med school formal coming up on saturday and I thought it might be a good thing to do. I have no idea how to wear my hair though, any suggestions????

Hey ladies!!! Let me tell you how much it sucks not to have internet!!!:wallbash: My cable and internet have been out for a week and the cable company can't come and fix it until tomorrow! But I just wanted to say that there is some serious hair growing going on! Good job ladies. My hair has decided that it really likes co-washes with HE breaks over (thanks Pretty!) and twist outs. I did a twist out this morning with Ms.jessie's curly meringue and I like it a lot better than the curly pudding. I will post pics soon. Also for my march check in I was thinking about straightening my hair to see its true length. I haven't straightened my hair since October but I have a med school formal coming up on saturday and I thought it might be a good thing to do. I have no idea how to wear my hair though, any suggestions????

Ooooh, what about somethig like this:
http://www.blackhairmedia.com/hairstyles/hairstyle_view.aspx?Sec=twist&Pic=0022? YOu could twist the front while wet, so it would be real neat and smooth and then do a twist out in the back, let it dry and then just kind of pin the ends under for a loose textured bun?:yep:

Or what about a straw set and go bold and do a mohawk! You could pull it off! :yep:
http://www.essence.com/essence/photogallery/0,14168,1654351-1,00.html

Or, you looks pretty with headbands, what about something like this? http://www.essence.com/essence/photogallery/0,14168,1654351-3,00.html YOu would have to blow dry and curl the ends, though I think. Maybe you could roller set? Not sure

This one is cute, too, but you probably would have to blow dry and flat iron to achieve...
http://www.essence.com/essence/photogallery/0,14168,1654351-9,00.html

OK, Ima stop now...:lachen:

yeah, ima haveta read these threads to get more info on that...I'll let you know what I find out...:yep:

Edited to add:
I think you just need a chelating shampoo if you have hard water or use no-lye relaxers to remove calcium and mineral deposits on the hair. If you relax and use lye or have soft water, you are fine. Otherwise, a lot of folks are recommending the ORS Aloe Shampoo for chelating purposes.

I don't use no-lye, but I do have hard water, so chelating once a month on GP, might not be a bad idea for me....:yep: My head is spinning bc I learn SOMETHING new on this forum EVERY-SINGLE-DAY!!!:drunk: I LOVE IT!!!

lol, I know right? Definitely a new thing every time I come here. ANd I think you may have a point. I use lye, so I don't know. But what if you don't have hard water either?

Back