Newbie Challenge 08 P2

My b-day is July 22. I haven't done my updated pictures yet, but I will this weekend and it'll probably be in a ponytail. I don't think I have any growth, but my hair is a lot healthier and my bf even noticed. Also about clarfying and chelating? How do you know when you need to do this? I have never done it and it would mean I have to run out to the store and buy a new hair product.:grin:

Some people chose to clarify once a month or so b/c of product buildup on their hair. If your hair seems dull and if you've been using a lot of products, then clarifying helps. I think chelating shampoos are used b/c of the mineral buildup on the hair from hard water. I use Nexxus Aloe Rid which is both clarifying and chelating.

lol, no fair Pretty. Lords knows I want a relaxer. I had to reschedule my appointment for next week so that i wouldn't be tempted.:rolleyes:

lol, no fair Pretty. Lords knows I want a relaxer. I had to reschedule my appointment for next week so that i wouldn't be tempted.:rolleyes:

I cant wait Ive been reading about relaxers for 4 hours now. I AM TORN:sad: ..... I hope no idea which relaxer to use. I have very thin hair and I need the right relaxer to make my hair straight but not take all the life out of it... I was soo set on ORS no lye now Im reading that it make the hair dry and will break from the dryness. I dont think I will be able to sleep tonight. Now Im looking into Mizani and Profectiv but I just dont know:nono:

Yeah, No Lye relaxers have a higher PH than lye. And i read that it also coats the hair which isn't good. So I would probably go with Lye to be on the safe side. And I am an Affirm user. I love it. Creme of Nature is also good too.

I know Galadriel used ORS last time...

If you see this

Did it make your hair dry after
did you use the lye or no lye
Plz share anything else about the ORS you can

Thanx

Yeah, No Lye relaxers have a higher PH than lye. And i read that it also coats the hair which isn't good. So I would probably go with Lye to be on the safe side. And I am an Affirm user. I love it. Creme of Nature is also good too.

See I thought they say Lye had a higher PH than no lye... I just cant figure this thing out...... STRESSSSS:wallbash:

I cant wait Ive been reading about relaxers for 4 hours now. I AM TORN:sad: ..... I hope no idea which relaxer to use. I have very thin hair and I need the right relaxer to make my hair straight but not take all the life out of it... I was soo set on ORS no lye now Im reading that it make the hair dry and will break from the dryness. I dont think I will be able to sleep tonight. Now Im looking into Mizani and Profectiv but I just dont know:nono:

Pr3tty, I feel your pain, I'm almost in the same boat. I'm due for mine on 3/12 , and I've been reading so much stuff about relaxers here that I think I convinced myself that my hair isn't that bad and I can hold off another couple of week before I relax :lachen::lachen::lachen:. I'm now seriously debating if I'm going to put it off until the 1st week in April, :spinning:, my new growth softens up every time I wash. It's not a matter of stretching because that whole process (stretching) isn't a big deal to me because I normally don't relax anyway less than 8 weeks post, it's just that I want to do it right....this time.......

Protein treatment week before, which one do I use :drunk::drunk::drunk: .....what shampoo to use....what to use to moisturize after I do the protein treatment......I brought an ApHogee treatment (the one that gets hard on your hair) but was reading some of the treads and saw some of the horror stories and now I just don't know now :wallbash:. The funny thing is that I remember years ago I use to use it, but I can't remember how my hair reacted, because back then I didn't have good sense of mind to even cared if it like it or not :wallbash::wallbash:

Hey ladies, I am on vacay for a week- I'll holla when i get back!

Pr3tty, I'd say go for the Affirm lye. just my opinion...:look:

my birthday is november 27

do you get Affirm from a regular BSS or do you have to order it online somewhere?
Im kinda afraid to though because last time i tried switchin from no lye to lye (in january) I got burned so bad! My head was on FIRE and i wasnt even done applying it.... So yea.. the relaxer didnt take AT ALL and i was left with underprocessed hair. I did a corrective relaxer with no lye a few weeks later and it came out really nice. Although im not planning on relaxing again until december, ive heard so much about Affirm i think thats what I will use when i do.

my birthday is november 27

do you get Affirm from a regular BSS or do you have to order it online somewhere?

Im kinda afraid to though because last time i tried switchin from no lye to lye (in january) I got burned so bad! My head was on FIRE and i wasnt even done applying it.... So yea.. the relaxer didnt take AT ALL and i was left with underprocessed hair. I did a corrective relaxer with no lye a few weeks later and it came out really nice. Although im not planning on relaxing again until december, ive heard so much about Affirm i think thats what I will use when i do.

Affirm is the relaxer my stylist uses, but I'm sure you can purchase it at any BSS. But if you want, you can order online as well.

And did you base your scalp before you applied it? Lye does tend to burn more, but I usually base my scalp, and it doesn't even burn. ANd I think my MN usage helps too.

I know Galadriel used ORS last time...

If you see this

Did it make your hair dry after
did you use the lye or no lye
Plz share anything else about the ORS you can

Thanx

I used the no lye and I must say that it's the only relaxer I've ever used that did not make my hair feel dry. My hair felt very nice afterward, and of course, the ORS replenishing pak inside helps. Everyone's hair is different, but this was my experience.

Girl, when I read this post i felt like i was reading my own thoughts :grin:. I guess you pr3tty and myself are in the same boat. The more I read the further my relaxer is being pushed back. I have been using ORS, and liked it, however I have been experiencing alot of breakage. The problem is I dont know the cause. Is it ORS, no-lye relaxers, poor hair care, a combo :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:. I am going crazy, and let me tell you, I need a relaxer! I don't know how much longer I can take all this extra work onmy hair.

Pr3tty, I feel your pain, I'm almost in the same boat. I'm due for mine on 3/12 , and I've been reading so much stuff about relaxers here that I think I convinced myself that my hair isn't that bad and I can hold off another couple of week before I relax :lachen::lachen::lachen:. I'm now seriously debating if I'm going to put it off until the 1st week in April, :spinning:, my new growth softens up every time I wash. It's not a matter of stretching because that whole process (stretching) isn't a big deal to me because I normally don't relax anyway less than 8 weeks post, it's just that I want to do it right....this time.......

Protein treatment week before, which one do I use :drunk::drunk::drunk: .....what shampoo to use....what to use to moisturize after I do the protein treatment......I brought an ApHogee treatment (the one that gets hard on your hair) but was reading some of the treads and saw some of the horror stories and now I just don't know now :wallbash:. The funny thing is that I remember years ago I use to use it, but I can't remember how my hair reacted, because back then I didn't have good sense of mind to even cared if it like it or not :wallbash::wallbash:

Affirm is the relaxer my stylist uses, but I'm sure you can purchase it at any BSS. But if you want, you can order online as well.

And did you base your scalp before you applied it? Lye does tend to burn more, but I usually base my scalp, and it doesn't even burn. ANd I think my MN usage helps too.

hmm... i think both factors you mentioned above contributed to that relaxer going wrong. I was using MN at the time but i stopped a few days before my relaxer and i washed it out.

Im co signing on the replenishing pak. I love that stuff!

I used the no lye and I must say that it's the only relaxer I've ever used that did not make my hair feel dry. My hair felt very nice afterward, and of course, the ORS replenishing pak inside helps. Everyone's hair is different, but this was my experience.

Ok here is my updated hair post. I don't see any new growth really, but maybe it's kinda scrunched up since I am 5 weeks post. I feel a little wavies going on in the roots,lol. I'm also gonna post a pic of the front of my hair and I would like to know if you guys think it is underprocessed. I had scratched when I put this perm on and it was burning so I had to wash it out quickly. I also updated and changed my Fotki album. I even attempted a full head roller set. My arms were so tired from rolling up my big head I almost quit. :nono: It does look dry.
p_00032.jpg

p_00035-1.jpg

Ok here is my updated hair post. I don't see any new growth really, but maybe it's kinda scrunched up since I am 5 weeks post. I feel a little wavies going on in the roots,lol. I'm also gonna post a pic of the front of my hair and I would like to know if you guys think it is underprocessed. I had scratched when I put this perm on and it was burning so I had to wash it out quickly. I also updated and changed my Fotki album. I even attempted a full head roller set. My arms were so tired from rolling up my big head I almost quit. :nono: It does look dry.
p_00032.jpg

p_00035-1.jpg
I visited your Fotki:fan:..nice pics:click:...that ponytail is nice and thick!!!

OK y'all, so I reworked the braid out on dry hair:clapping:... 1st I used silicon mix leave-in then Nexxus Mousse Plus/alcohol free volumizing foam(I think it looks thicker :woot:)..I rolled the ends w/perm rods. The only thing is it looks a little dull...next time I am going to add a hair polisher serum for blingage:bling: or some coconut oil. I am going to keep tweaking :grin:.
1st pic on 3/5...the 2nd pic on 3/7
Ladies holla back if you have any suggestions!!!
braidout3-5-08b.jpg
braidout3-7Aa.jpg

hmm... i think both factors you mentioned above contributed to that relaxer going wrong. I was using MN at the time but i stopped a few days before my relaxer and i washed it out.

Yeah, that could be it. MN is an antifungal cream so it cleans the scalp of things that may have gotten in your hair from the air and stuff. You didn't get any scalp burns did you?

p_00032.jpg

p_00035-1.jpg

i love that ponytail too. So healthy looking

So its 4:30 am and I relaxed with ORS no lye relaxer and I was burning within 15 mins. I still have my DC in now but it seems like my hair came out bone straight which I didnt want I will know for sure when im dry. I really didnt think it would burn so fast but then again it couldve been something my mom did bc she applied the relaxer or the fact that my hair is so damn thin. I will post pics soon

Yeah, that could be it. MN is an antifungal cream so it cleans the scalp of things that may have gotten in your hair from the air and stuff. You didn't get any scalp burns did you?

Yes i did, but the thing is i dont know how, it was only in my hair for about 4 min...:nono:

Yes i did, but the thing is i dont know how, it was only in my hair for about 4 min...:nono:

Oh wow. You didn't irritate the scalp or anything before did you? Because I know that when i comb or lightly scratch before a relaxer, it burns horribly. And It may be the fact that its lye. Maybe the switch from no lye to lye had some impact. There is something about no lye that many women on here who relax stay away from and just deal with lye relaxers. I'll try to do a search on it for you.

ETA: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=96712&highlight=relaxers
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=100946&highlight=relaxers
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93473&highlight=relaxers
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=201611&highlight=relaxers
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=206589&highlight=relaxers
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=207935&highlight=relaxers

Okay, here are some links that I found. I hope they help. There was one in particular i was looking for that was Named Lye vs. No-Lye, but the search action can be faulty at times.

Last edited:
So its 4:30 am and I relaxed with ORS no lye relaxer and I was burning within 15 mins. I still have my DC in now but it seems like my hair came out bone straight which I didnt want I will know for sure when im dry. I really didnt think it would burn so fast but then again it couldve been something my mom did bc she applied the relaxer or the fact that my hair is so damn thin. I will post pics soon

Oh no! So sorry to hear that it burned :sad:. Did you mix in some oil (this is what I do, b/c I texlax and don't want bone strait either)?

OK y'all, so I reworked the braid out on dry hair:clapping:... 1st I used silicon mix leave-in then Nexxus Mousse Plus/alcohol free volumizing foam(I think it looks thicker :woot:)..I rolled the ends w/perm rods. The only thing is it looks a little dull...next time I am going to add a hair polisher serum for blingage:bling: or some coconut oil. I am going to keep tweaking :grin:.
1st pic on 3/5...the 2nd pic on 3/7
Ladies holla back if you have any suggestions!!!
braidout3-5-08b.jpg
braidout3-7Aa.jpg

Klomax, the second pic does look thicker! Good job! :grin:

Oh no! So sorry to hear that it burned :sad:. Did you mix in some oil (this is what I do, b/c I texlax and don't want bone strait either)?
Galadriel,

How do you like texlaxed hair? My main problem is shrinkage...somtimes I think texlaxing can help. Maybe when my hair is healthier.:perplexed

Everything I use burns me but I think its the way my mom does it. I dont know what my hair looks like now bc I have a rollerset from last night well early this morning. I cant wait to see it

Oh yea I didnt add anything bc I thought my hair wouldnt come out straight bc of all my NG but I sure will next time.

Back