MSM Side Effects...

den1 said:
Yes, i believe it is worth it, because it is a natural detoxifier, the body is getting rid of waste, there has to be an output to remove it. If you drink enough water the symptons should passs quickly.

Den1, you said before that you use the crystals. Where can I get the crystal form? Is it better than the powder?

For all you ladies that are taking MSM, thought you'd like to read this:

How Much MSM Should One Take?
msmjuice2.jpg
It is recommended to start with one quarter teaspoon of MSM powder, twice a day, mixed with juice or water. This is a good place to start: you start getting MSM into your system without releasing too many toxins (detoxifying) too quickly.
MSM readily detoxifies the body. Dumping toxins out of the body too quickly may cause you to have achy muscles or feel out of sorts, headachy or tired. A faster heartbeat can also be the result of detoxifying too quickly. To prevent this from happening, start with 1/4 teaspoon, twice a day.
After being on 1/4 teaspoon for approximately 5 days, if you are not experiencing any detoxification reactions and you are not noticing any positive results (such as more energy and more oxygen) then increase this amount to 1/2 teaspoon twice a day. The idea is to gradually increase the amount so that your body releases toxins at a rate its organs can easily process. Continue to gradually increase the amount of MSM taken daily, until your body is doing well--in other words, until you are feeling great! Once you have reached this point you can stay at that level of daily MSM.

Rule of Thumb: If you ever feel bad while taking MSM this just means that your body is dumping toxins out too quickly.
  1. Stop taking the MSM.
  2. Drink a lot of distilled water so that the toxins will leave the system more quickly. You should feel better in 1-2 days.
  3. When you feel good again resume taking MSM but cut the dose in half.
Vitamin C works together with MSM for an even better effect. They both help the membranes in the body, so make sure you take plenty of Vitamin C as along with your MSM.
MSM in capsules is convenient to take alone, or the powdered MSM can be mixed in with juices or food. It dissolves best in a little warm water, then you can add cold juice or cold water.
If one is of advanced age or seriously ill, one should probably gradually work up to taking approximately two teaspoons of MSM daily, with other food supplements and vitamins and whatever medications one should be taking. However, one should work up to this amount gradiently, not all at once. If one has a serious illness or has been on a lot of medication one should probably start with 1/2 the normal starting dose. This will help prevent toxins (accumulated from medicines and life style over the years) from dumping out too quickly. For example, take 1 capsule per day to start. After a few days add a capsule in the afternoon. After a few days take 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Keep adding to the morning and afternoon dose until you experience a positive change in how you feel.
Children can also benefit from taking MSM. The starting daily amount should be 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per 100 pounds of body weight. (Accordingly, a child weighing 50 pounds could start taking 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of MSM daily.)
Pets do not get enough MSM from their canned and dry foods. Pets of all sizes will also derive benefit from taking MSM. It can either be mixed in their drinking water or in their food twice a day. Use the same body weight to MSM ratio as is used for children, which is 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per 100 pounds of body weight daily. You should notice that your pet is friskier than usual and that your pet's coat looks healthier, after prolonged use of MSM. If you put MSM in your pet's water you may want to add slightly more than the scale suggests because your pet may not drink the whole bowl of water. When putting MSM directly into the pet's food stick with the scale because your pet will probably consume all the food. After 3-5 days if you do not notice a change in how your pet feels, double the dose.

Nice & Wavy said:

msmjuice2.jpg
It is recommended to start with one quarter teaspoon of MSM powder, twice a day, mixed with juice or water. This is a good place to start: you start getting MSM into your system without releasing too many toxins (detoxifying) too quickly.
MSM readily detoxifies the body. Dumping toxins out of the body too quickly may cause you to have achy muscles or feel out of sorts, headachy or tired. A faster heartbeat can also be the result of detoxifying too quickly. To prevent this from happening, start with 1/4 teaspoon, twice a day.
After being on 1/4 teaspoon for approximately 5 days, if you are not experiencing any detoxification reactions and you are not noticing any positive results (such as more energy and more oxygen) then increase this amount to 1/2 teaspoon twice a day. The idea is to gradually increase the amount so that your body releases toxins at a rate its organs can easily process. Continue to gradually increase the amount of MSM taken daily, until your body is doing well--in other words, until you are feeling great! Once you have reached this point you can stay at that level of daily MSM.

Rule of Thumb: If you ever feel bad while taking MSM this just means that your body is dumping toxins out too quickly.
  1. Stop taking the MSM.
  2. Drink a lot of distilled water so that the toxins will leave the system more quickly. You should feel better in 1-2 days.
Vitamin C works together with MSM for an even better effect. They both help the membranes in the body, so make sure you take plenty of Vitamin C as along with your MSM.
MSM in capsules is convenient to take alone, or the powdered MSM can be mixed in with juices or food. It dissolves best in a little warm water, then you can add cold juice or cold water.
If one is of advanced age or seriously ill, one should probably gradually work up to taking approximately two teaspoons of MSM daily, with other food supplements and vitamins and whatever medications one should be taking. However, one should work up to this amount gradiently, not all at once. If one has a serious illness or has been on a lot of medication one should probably start with 1/2 the normal starting dose. This will help prevent toxins (accumulated from medicines and life style over the years) from dumping out too quickly. For example, take 1 capsule per day to start. After a few days add a capsule in the afternoon. After a few days take 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Keep adding to the morning and afternoon dose until you experience a positive change in how you feel.
Children can also benefit from taking MSM. The starting daily amount should be 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per 100 pounds of body weight. (Accordingly, a child weighing 50 pounds could start taking 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of MSM daily.)
Pets do not get enough MSM from their canned and dry foods. Pets of all sizes will also derive benefit from taking MSM. It can either be mixed in their drinking water or in their food twice a day. Use the same body weight to MSM ratio as is used for children, which is 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per 100 pounds of body weight daily. You should notice that your pet is friskier than usual and that your pet's coat looks healthier, after prolonged use of MSM. If you put MSM in your pet's water you may want to add slightly more than the scale suggests because your pet may not drink the whole bowl of water. When putting MSM directly into the pet's food stick with the scale because your pet will probably consume all the food. After 3-5 days if you do not notice a change in how your pet feels, double the dose.

Bumping.........

I've got another one... healing faster. Typically cuts, bruises, abrasions even acne take 5-7 days to heal. Now, they are gone in 2-3 days.:yep:

sareca said:
I've got another one... healing faster. Typically cuts, bruises, abrasions even acne take 5-7 days to heal. Now, they are gone in 2-3 days.:yep:

I know...I read this too and it helps with so many other things. What an amazing product. I just ordered some in powder form, so I can't work to see how effective it is.

sareca said:

WOW! Hahah. This msm is starting to sound like the "wonder drug"! :lachen:
Why oh WHY didn't I find this stuff sooner?? I thought it was only for "old" people with arthritis. :rollseyes:

Nice & Wavy said:

msmjuice2.jpg

1. Stop taking the MSM.

thanks for posting this! I haven't gotten around to purchasing msm yet b/c of colonix. Once I am done w/the 3 months I plan on ordering the msm flakes that den1 uses.

Nice & Wavy said:
I know...I read this too and it helps with so many other things. What an amazing product. I just ordered some in powder form, so I can't work to see how effective it is.

The powder tastes awful, but I think it works better. I'd been taking MSM capsules or tablets (from GNC) for months and I didn't notice any difference in the rate I heal from injury. Now, I go to bed w/ an ache and when I wake up it's gone.

It's, apparently, good for other animals too. I recommended it to my momma and she said "I have some." :huh: "I've been giving it to the dogs. It makes their coats shiny." :eek:

Crystalicequeen123 said:
WOW! Hahah. This msm is starting to sound like the "wonder drug"! :lachen:
Why oh WHY didn't I find this stuff sooner?? I thought it was only for "old" people with arthritis. :rollseyes:

You were further along that I was, I hadn't even heard of it. I'm a believer now tho. :yep:

Nice & Wavy said:

msmjuice2.jpg

1. Stop taking the MSM.

What an informative article! Thank you Nice & Wavy, now I know I'm doing it the correct way. :yep:

This is day 16 for me and the couple of raised bumps disappeared a few days ago. My complexion was already very clear, bright and smooth from my own regimen (I never needed to wear foundation) now there is a new element to my skin from MSM that I love. It's pretty amazing! This means all of my skin too, not just my face.:)

And the new growth soreness in the back of my head stopped and is now at my crown. It will be interesting to see how this is affecting my hair too.

Isis said:
What an informative article! Thank you Nice & Wavy, now I know I'm doing it the correct way. :yep:

This is day 16 for me and the couple of raised bumps disappeared a few days ago. My complexion was already very clear, bright and smooth from my own regimen (I never needed to wear foundation) now there is a new element to my skin from MSM that I love. It's pretty amazing! This means all of my skin too, not just my face.:)

And the new growth soreness in the back of my head stopped and is now at my crown. It will be interesting to see how this is affecting my hair too.

You are quite welcome, Isis. Your hair is beautiful! Does the MSM give your skin a glow? My skin is clear as well and smooth from my regimen, but now, I look forward to seeing the change that it will make for me.

Thanks for the info.

sareca said:
The powder tastes awful, but I think it works better. I'd been taking MSM capsules or tablets (from GNC) for months and I didn't notice any difference in the rate I heal from injury. Now, I go to bed w/ an ache and when I wake up it's gone.

It's, apparently, good for other animals too. I recommended it to my momma and she said "I have some." :huh: "I've been giving it to the dogs. It makes their coats shiny." :eek:

I'm sure it does, but I'm going to try it in juice (organic apple maybe) to see if that will help. I had been taking the MSM capsules as well and didn't notice anything at all, so I look forward to seeing how the powder works...I've only heard great things about it.

I take my msm in my morning "power smoothie" as my best friend calls it, and I can't taste a thing. On the mornings when I don't have enough time to make it, I dissolve the powder in some juice to combat the bitterness, and it's all good.

MochaEyeCandy said:
I take my msm in my morning "power smoothie" as my best friend calls it, and I can't taste a thing. On the mornings when I don't have enough time to make it, I dissolve the powder in some juice to combat the bitterness, and it's all good.

What kind of juice do you use? And what's in your 'power smoothie'?

I don't know why I ever stopped yaking msm. I started back taking it over a month ago and my new growth and hair are so soft. I also think my curls are coming in looser. My skin was already looking nice and clear.

I use any juice that happens to be in the fridge, apple, cranberry, whatever. My smoothie consists of:

1 cup of skim milk
1 banana
6-8 strawberries
1/2 cup of non fat yogurt
3 tbs of wheat germ
1 scoop of whey gourmet protein powder (strawberry banana flavor)
1 tsp of Puritan's Pride msm powder
2 tsp of flaxseed oil

I put everything in the blender and blend until I get the right consistancy. The whole process including clean-up takes about 4-5 minutes or so.

NoNapNique said:
Haven't seen this side effect mentioned yet... BUT(T)... MSM made me VERY GASSY!!! To the point where I wouldn't even know "one" was coming - it even startled me one time!!!

Needless to say I had to stop taking that stuff! I just can't risk being all dolled-up one day, I'm out in public, and WITHOUT WARNING one just "rips" in front on someone!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
OMG!!!!!!!

NoNapNique said:
Haven't seen this side effect mentioned yet... BUT(T)... MSM made me VERY GASSY!!! To the point where I wouldn't even know "one" was coming - it even startled me one time!!!

Needless to say I had to stop taking that stuff! I just can't risk being all dolled-up one day, I'm out in public, and WITHOUT WARNING one just "rips" in front on someone!!!
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:I had one startle me too, but I wasn't alone. Luckily it was only my fiance, but it wasn't a good time (if you know what I mean) to be crackin' one off. I just cut back a little waited a week and stepped it up again.

MochaEyeCandy said:
I use any juice that happens to be in the fridge, apple, cranberry, whatever. My smoothie consists of:

1 cup of skim milk
1 banana
6-8 strawberries
1/2 cup of non fat yogurt
3 tbs of wheat germ
1 scoop of whey gourmet protein powder (strawberry banana flavor)
1 tsp of Puritan's Pride msm powder
2 tsp of flaxseed oil

I put everything in the blender and blend until I get the right consistancy. The whole process including clean-up takes about 4-5 minutes or so.

Thanks, I'm going to try this. It sounds absolutely delicious!

Nice & Wavy said:
Thanks, I'm going to try this. It sounds absolutely delicious!
I'm drinking it right now, and it is! I was worried because I changed the flavor of the protein powder I use, but it's great! :grin:

I've only been taking it once a day. I started this week, and I feel and look awful. I have white heads EVERYWHERE, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.

Guapa1 said:
I've only been taking it once a day. I started this week, and I feel and look awful. I have white heads EVERYWHERE, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.

Sorry to hear that. Did you read this yet?

msmjuice2.jpg

1. Stop taking the MSM.

Nice>> Thanks so much for the information. I just started taking MSM (3k per day). I am concerned about the side effects but it's helpful to know how to manage them. After I took the pills, I also felt loopy - kind of high feeling, then sluggish. Last night I took one for the first time and I took my normal sleeping pill. I woke up at 11:00!! I just took my morning dose 2 in the am. So I should be ready for a nap in a little while. I am gaining great results with my current regimen and I'm hoping that my new growth (12 weeks post) will continued to be managed. I have 4a/b hair and have NEVER BEEN ABLE TO MANAGE NEW GROWTH WITHOUT CHEMICALS. MTG, Alma Oil, and Coconut Oil are wonderful but I hope that the MSM will help internally after all of the toxins are clean. It reminds me of when I get a massage - the toxins are released and you feel loopy.

REConsul said:
Nice>> Thanks so much for the information. I just started taking MSM (3k per day). I am concerned about the side effects but it's helpful to know how to manage them. After I took the pills, I also felt loopy - kind of high feeling, then sluggish. Last night I took one for the first time and I took my normal sleeping pill. I woke up at 11:00!! I just took my morning dose 2 in the am. So I should be ready for a nap in a little while. I am gaining great results with my current regimen and I'm hoping that my new growth (12 weeks post) will continued to be managed. I have 4a/b hair and have NEVER BEEN ABLE TO MANAGE NEW GROWTH WITHOUT CHEMICALS. MTG, Alma Oil, and Coconut Oil are wonderful but I hope that the MSM will help internally after all of the toxins are clean. It reminds me of when I get a massage - the toxins are released and you feel loopy.

Well, I hope you feel better soon, and I hope your hair turns out to be the "Bomb" after it's all said and done!:grin:

Thanks Nice and Wavy. I read it, but I'm still a bit confused. I'm only taking a quarter a teaspoon a day, and having this reaction. Surely if I take another qaurter in the evening, I'm going to be worse?

Guapa1 said:
Thanks Nice and Wavy. I read it, but I'm still a bit confused. I'm only taking a quarter a teaspoon a day, and having this reaction. Surely if I take another qaurter in the evening, I'm going to be worse?
The article doesn't say you have to take another 1/4 tsp in the evening. It says to increase only when you have no more detox symptoms.

I started out with just 1/4 tsp per day and although I drink LOTs of water anyway and drank even more, my only symptoms were a couple of raised bumps on my face (like period bumps) that went away a few days ago. I just raised my dose to another 1/4 tsp for a total of 1/2 tsp each day. So far, so good!

I say to continue drinking lots of water throughout the day - 1/2 your weight in ounces of water plus more - until your reaction disappears.:)

Isis said:
The article doesn't say you have to take another 1/4 tsp in the evening. It says to increase only when you have no more detox symptoms.

I started out with just 1/4 tsp per day and although I drink LOTs of water anyway and drank even more, my only symptoms were a couple of raised bumps on my face (like period bumps) that went away a few days ago. I just raised my dose to another 1/4 tsp for a total of 1/2 tsp each day. So far, so good!

I say to continue drinking lots of water throughout the day - 1/2 your weight in ounces of water plus more - until your reaction disappears.:)

Thanks, Isis for answering that for me. I wouldn't know how to answer it, since I've never taken it (powder) as yet. I'm waiting for mine to be shipped.

Isis said:

Thanks Isis. I have been drinking a lot, I'll up my intake and what happens. I'm not even taking it for my hair, I'm taking it for my skin!

Back