MSM Side Effects...

MSM is wonderful. I have been taking it since September.

I take it in the morning and at night. I use the powder because you can adjust your dosages. Some people take teaspoons and teaspoons of it. They do that until they get help with whatever they are taking it for (pain, fungus, energy, etc) and then they go down to a maintenance dose and stay there.

Some people can't take it at night because it keeps them up. I don't ever have that problem that is why I started to do night also. I sleep almost too sound. My husband says I don't sleep, I die. Now I sleep well but not comatose.

I melt it in hot boiling water (only takes a tiny bit) add a tablespoon of coconut oil and I take it like a shot. Oh yeah, I had a problem of eating sweets at night. Not since taking coconut oil (I only take that in the morning though). I am having detox symptoms with the coco oil and the msm. Messed around and drank some milk thistle tea :eek: and it was on. Celestial Seasons Detox tea is no joke for me. Nothing crazy but hello! I get a tap on the shoulder around mid afternoon and I take care of business. :lachen:

My detox symptoms are gone. I've upped my dosage to 1 full tsp. 1/2 in the AM, 1/2 in the PM. Each dosage is taken with 1000 mg of Vit C powder. I honestly can't report any changes right now. But I've started a new skincare regimen so it;ll be hard to say what's contributing to nicer skin.

do you guys think there is any difference between the powder and the tablets? I have the tablets, and I am just hoping they are working as well as the powder would - thankfully I have no side effects, but i dont know if that means it is not working or what???

I don't really know. I like the powder because you can adjust your dosages from a really small dose all the way up to a big dosage. It just seems to be a little more flexibe than pills. If it is a good type of msm and no fillers, I guess pills would be fine. side effects showed me it was working because I had never really done any type of detox things. If I didn't have side effects than I would not have known that at the very least, the detox benefits were working.

But maybe you don't have many toxins. I don't know how you couldn't, just living and breathing we get toxins. Or maybe you are drinking enough water.

But maybe you are not taking enough. Whenever you do start detoxing it usually takes a couple days to adjust everytime you adjust your dosage. You don't experience detox forever. Once you get going your body can keep up by drinking water, exercising, breathing, BMs, etc.

CantBeCopied said:
Hey Ladies! :) Anybody catch yourself in the mirror more often now because your skin is so amazing?

This past Saturday, I had some errands to run and, my skin was so pretty after washing that I said to myself, "I'm going to go out without makeup and just moisturizer and lip gloss and see what response I get." ;)

First stop....WALGREENS...PACKED on a Saturday morning....I'm in the back of the line.....a brother walks in (middle-aged gentleman)....walks past the line and me.....stops.....walks back up to me and says, "You are a beauitful woman you know that? What do you do to stay so pretty? Exercise a lot?" I said, "no....it's all diet and I get a LOT of sleep! ;) " (lawd knows my lazy arse is not exercising!) :cool: I was embarrassed but also very flattered and I was thinking...."MSM and OLIVE OIL IS MY BABY-DADDY!!!":p
Same here. Last weekend was the first time since...well, since I started wearing makeup that I went out w/o it. Just some mascara, lip balm and that was that. No one said anything. :(

I started taking MSM originally for my lupus, I read it helps with the joint aches and inflamation. Today I went shopping and only put on mascara. I could not stop looking at myself...in the bathroom mirror, in the rearview mirror (at every light) in the store mirrors. It was kind of embarassing. :shocked:

I didn't start having symtoms until I increased my dose to 3000 mg. I had no sneezing or flu symptoms but, I did have awful fatigue. I was so tired over the weekend that I took a nap every afternoon:sleep8:. Tomorrow I am going up to 4000mg. I havent seen any hair results yet bet my skin--that's what up!:love:

sareca said:
Same here. Last weekend was the first time since...well, since I started wearing makeup that I went out w/o it. Just some mascara, lip balm and that was that. No one said anything. :(

aw, Sareca, they were probably just in awe and speechless! :kiss: ((((huggs))))

grnidmonster said:
I started taking MSM originally for my lupus, I read it helps with the joint aches and inflamation. Today I went shopping and only put on mascara. I could not stop looking at myself...in the bathroom mirror, in the rearview mirror (at every light) in the store mirrors. It was kind of embarassing. :shocked:

I didn't start having symtoms until I increased my dose to 3000 mg. I had no sneezing or flu symptoms but, I did have awful fatigue. I was so tired over the weekend that I took a nap every afternoon:sleep8:. Tomorrow I am going up to 4000mg. I havent seen any hair results yet bet my skin--that's what up!:love:

Isn't it crazy grnid? It's like you are not looking in the mirror like, "oh, I look good" but you are studying the DIFFERENCE in your face in shock like, "that line is disappearing! my pores are getting smaller!...":eek:

I've been on it for a week. I've noticed a difference in my skin as well. One of my annoying laugh lines has filled in significantly. I mix a little MSM powder with my SkinCeuticals C serum and apply to my face before moisturizer. I think it's working....but don't quote me own it.

Adult onset acne has cleared up too. The only possible detox symptom I've had is extreme sleepiness....could just be the rainy weather, though.

I'm taking 6000mg in the morning and 6000mg at night.

jwhitley6 said:
I've been on it for a week. I've noticed a difference in my skin as well. One of my annoying laugh lines has filled in significantly. I mix a little MSM powder with my SkinCeuticals C serum and apply to my face before moisturizer. I think it's working....but don't quote me own it.

Adult onset acne has cleared up too. The only possible detox symptom I've had is extreme sleepiness....could just be the rainy weather, though.

I'm taking 6000mg in the morning and 6000mg at night.

Jwhitley6, since you've only been on it for a week, did you start out with 12000 mg daily or work up to it?

Today is day 10 for me and my last "side effect pimple" is gone! Although my complexion was very smooth before I started the MSM, my face and other body parts are noticeably smoother and seem to be getting smoother each day.

I had a major hair growth spurt right away and the scalp soreness is starting to die down. I'm still taking 1/4 teaspoon in the evening which is only 1500 mg along with 1000 mg of vitamin C. Maybe I'll increase it for the coming week and do it twice each day...

I am definitely going through detox now :cry: headache, sleepy, and periodic coughing attacks. I can't wait to get off of work so I can go home and go to sleep. I hope this torture is worth it :ohwell: , but i believe it will be after hearing all you ladies :). My scalp is definitely sore but I haven't seen any pimple yet (thank Jesus :clap:). I kinda feel like I have a hang over. :drunk2:. I will keep you posted on my results. This is day 2.

prissygirl114 said:
I am definitely going through detox now :cry: headache, sleepy, and periodic coughing attacks. I can't wait to get off of work so I can go home and go to sleep. I hope this torture is worth it :ohwell: , but i believe it will be after hearing all you ladies :). My scalp is definitely sore but I haven't seen any pimple yet (thank Jesus :clap:). I kinda feel like I have a hang over. :drunk2:. I will keep you posted on my results. This is day 2.

My detox symptom was medicine head. It felt like I'd taken Nyquil the night before. It made me feel kind of loopy, but in a good way. I've been taking it pretty consistently since I was like 20 or 21, so I can't really say anything about it turning back the hands of time. Hopefully, it just slowed it down significantly.

The first day I took 2000mg morning and 2000mg evening. Then I read about people taking more, so I immediately upped my dosage to 4000mg 2x daily, then 6000mg the next day. I take with Twinlabs B-complex in the morning and Ester-C at night. I also take Jarrow's Bio Sil with my MSM.

I guess I'm taking enough, but I was hoping for more "side effects" to know that it's working. I guess we'll see. My scalp has been itching like crazy, so maybe that's a sign.

Isis said:
Jwhitley6, since you've only been on it for a week, did you start out with 12000 mg daily or work up to it?

Today is day 10 for me and my last "side effect pimple" is gone! Although my complexion was very smooth before I started the MSM, my face and other body parts are noticeably smoother and seem to be getting smoother each day.

I had a major hair growth spurt right away and the scalp soreness is starting to die down. I'm still taking 1/4 teaspoon in the evening which is only 1500 mg along with 1000 mg of vitamin C. Maybe I'll increase it for the coming week and do it twice each day...

Isis,

It looks like whatever you've been doing has worked great for you. Your hair is Beautiful!....I don't know how you can live without putting heat in your hair. I at least have to have my blowdryer - but I guess that conversation's for another thread. :-)

Haven't seen this side effect mentioned yet... BUT(T)... MSM made me VERY GASSY!!! To the point where I wouldn't even know "one" was coming - it even startled me one time!!!

Needless to say I had to stop taking that stuff! I just can't risk being all dolled-up one day, I'm out in public, and WITHOUT WARNING one just "rips" in front on someone!!!

NoNapNique said:
Haven't seen this side effect mentioned yet... BUT(T)... MSM made me VERY GASSY!!! To the point where I wouldn't even know "one" was coming - it even startled me one time!!!

Needless to say I had to stop taking that stuff! I just can't risk being all dolled-up one day, I'm out in public, and WITHOUT WARNING one just "rips" in front on someone!!!

LOL!!! That was funny!

NoNapNique said:

LMAO....Thank God I haven't had that side effect :) . Are you sure it was the MSM?

NoNapNique said:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I have noticed this. I started taking MSM and trying to convert to being a full vegetarian at the same time. I just attributed it to more beans not the MSM....

I could be wrong:)

prissygirl114 said:

oooh so you DO get headaches and sore scalp! Well thanks for letting me know that!
I went to bed with a real bad headache last night, and my scalp feels transparent.
I have three huge pimples, my husband says they wink at him when I'm sleeping :lachen:

Update: I took 3000mg of MSM last night around 8pm and took my melatonin aaround 10pm. I slept for about 3 hours and I was up the rest of the night. I couldn't back back to sleep until around 5am. So no more night MSM for me. This morning I took my whole tsp all at once like I used to when I was on it before. I also take vit c packets which each contain 1000mg of MSM each. So I'm up to 6000mg a day now.

Anywho, I was in Ulta today and as I was in line staring at some of the products, I turned to look and see if the line was moving only to catch a cashier STARING (in a good way) at me. So I smiled at her and she smiled back. I thought nothing of it. As I was at the register I caught another cashier staring at me. WOW! I have to say my skin was looking da bomb today, but I thought it was in my head.

I gave some MSM to my son's BFs mom today for joint pain. MSMS is a great all around supplement. Now I just need to get back on my biotin as well.

ETA: I'm taking Natural Balance Lignisul MSM and it says on the container that it supports healthy collagen production.

Also ladies, please note that the Lignisul MSM is the BEST kind to take. I don't remember why, but I just remember this from when I was taking it before.

Last edited:
Ok, I am putting 1/4 teaspoon in some bottled water and shaking it up, is that a good way to take it? Or should i put the MSM on my tougue and swallow it with the water? I am feeling detox symtpoms but I want the maximum results;)

jwhitley6 said:
Isis,

It looks like whatever you've been doing has worked great for you. Your hair is Beautiful!....I don't know how you can live without putting heat in your hair. I at least have to have my blowdryer - but I guess that conversation's for another thread. :-)
Thank you so much Jwhitley! I share some info about my no heat techniques in my album. :)

NoNapNique said:

prissygirl114 said:
Me too .:lol: I knew they were coming, they were really loud but they didn't stink:confused:. :lachen:

:lachen: :lachen:
Thank goodness this hasn't happened to me yet!! I do get gassy if I eat too many onions or too many eggs! Gotta be the sulfur!:lol:
BTW, how much were you taking NoNapNique? Maybe it was just a matter of reducing the dose.

Last edited:
Isis said:
Congratulations Crystalicequeen123 and MochaEyeCandy! I can't wait for these new pimples (I have two small, raised bumps) to go away. It's been a week now. My skin was very clear and smooth before MSM and I'm looking forward to getting it back!

Shani325 - There's no difference between the capsules and powder to my knowledge. The capsules have the powder inside anyway.

Thanks Isis! :) Yeah, this msm is AWESOME! I haven't had any hair benefits yet, but my skin is definitely improving! :up:

You know, I started msm 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that I got sick with the flu the day after I started taking my msm. I wonder if that was "detoxification" taking place? I just figured that I caught the flu from this girl in class that I came in contact with a day before. Could it have been the msm?

But anyway, I remember continuing to take the msm anyway (even though I was sick with the flu), and after my flu symptoms stopped, I still had a runny nose and I was sneezing like I had allergies! :eek:

In fact, one night (it's so funny now that I think about it) I was sneezing like crazy! One sneeze right after the other...hard too! I have never sneezed that many times in a row before. I just kept sneezing and sneezing. Almost to the point where I thought I would never stop! :eek:
But after a few days the allergy symptoms went away, and I feel fine now. :)

I've been getting headaches lately though, but I don't know if that's more due to the fact that my monthly "friend" has arrived. :ohwell:

I'm glad you all mentioned sneezing though, because maybe the allergy symptoms were due to detoxification.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Thanks Isis! :) Yeah, this msm is AWESOME! I haven't had any hair benefits yet, but my skin is definitely improving! :up:

You know, I started msm 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that I got sick with the flu the day after I started taking my msm. I wonder if that was "detoxification" taking place? I just figured that I caught the flu from this girl in class that I came in contact with a day before. Could it have been the msm?

But anyway, I remember continuing to take the msm anyway (even though I was sick with the flu), and after my flu symptoms stopped, I still had a runny nose and I was sneezing like I had allergies! :eek:

In fact, one night (it's so funny now that I think about it) I was sneezing like crazy! One sneeze right after the other...hard too! I have never sneezed that many times in a row before. I just kept sneezing and sneezing. Almost to the point where I thought I would never stop! :eek:
But after a few days the allergy symptoms went away, and I feel fine now. :)

I've been getting headaches lately though, but I don't know if that's more due to the fact that my monthly "friend" has arrived. :ohwell:

I'm glad you all mentioned sneezing though, because maybe the allergy symptoms were due to detoxification.
I did read on the Internet that flu-like symptoms are part of the detoxification from MSM, for some people. The side effects, as you can see from this thread already, varies from person to person, depending on how toxic their bodies are when they started MSM. That's why we all have to keep drinking all that water!

Your headache seems a little late coming for an MSM side effect, although I could be wrong.

Im all psyched up and ready to start taking my msm again...Im so bad with vitamins but I am ready to get my hair and skin looking right! I bought a tub of pure msm power on ebay a while back but only took it a few times...tomorrow I will start taking it again, along with my multivitamin, biotin, and vitamin c.

Tomorrow will make it a week since I have started taking MSM.
I take it late at night or early in the morning. I havent noticed any lack of sleep cos of it.
I have been getting headaches though, and I had a cold before taking MSM and it seems to be going away. So I cant validate the cold-like symptoms theory.
I also take a multivitamin that advises 2 tablets, they are soo huge, and they contain Biotin as well as Horsetail (I think) so I am good with just those two for now.

I havent really noticed anything super great so far at all. Another week to go, then I'll see.

Back