MSM Side Effects...

Okay...I'm take the capsules of MSM from GNC 1000mg. I want some side effects too. That should be an indicator that its working. What brand/type of MSM powder are you ladies taking?

I want to purchase a good quality of MSM.

kit-kat said:
Okay...I'm take the capsules of MSM from GNC 1000mg. I want some side effects too. That should be an indicator that its working. What brand/type of MSM powder are you ladies taking?

That's what I'm taking (1 in the morning and 1 in the evening) and I have the side effects (runny nose and sneezing - believe me you're lucky not to experience any of this). I also drink at least 8 cup of water a day.

Victory1 said:
That's what I'm taking (1 in the morning and 1 in the evening) and I have the side effects (runny nose and sneezing - believe me you're lucky not to experience any of this). I also drink at least 8 cup of water a day.
I'm not an MSM expert by any means (haven't seen my bottle since I bought it in 2003!) but I've learned that, depending on how much one weighs, 8 cups of water isn't necessarily enough water to drink without taking MSM. We need at least 1/2 our weight in ounces of water each day. If one is taking MSM, from what I read, that amount needs to increase.

kit-kat said:

I think the brand that I purchased is Blue Mountain...

can you take this powdered form in addition to taking hair vitamin like nourishhair that is in the pill form :confused:?

EbonyRose said:
can you take this powdered form in addition to taking hair vitamin like nourishhair that is in the pill form :confused:?

That shouldn't be a problem. I usually mix the powder into water or juice and use that to wash down any vitamins in pill form. Kill two birds with one stone.

kit-kat said:

I received side effects and great results very quickly. I just started the powder form of MSM from Vitamin World March 1st. I'm starting out only with 1/4 teaspoon of the powder in the evenings (on a full stomach) along with 1,000 of vitamin C.

My scalp on the back of my head is very sore already, starting on Day 2! That's telling me something is being activated with my follicles, hopefully growth spurts. No headaches at all. My skin has always been very clear and smooth so the pimples I noticed right away. They are under the skin though and not really visible - but I notice them. No sneezing.

I have some interesting skin results too already that are amazing me and making me check myself out in the mirror whenever I can :lol: . I posted about it today. Read Can'tBeCopied's thread in the Skin Discussion Forum. :)

Ooooooo I think I'm starting to get some results! I've been taking 1/4 teaspoon of powdered msm for about 2 weeks now, and today I looked at my face in the mirror and it is so CLEAR!! :D :D It is so soft too!

Just a few days ago I was complaining on this board about how my face was looking so dry that it was actually PEELING! :eek: Now, my skin is so smooth! I look like I'm wearing my foundation, but I'm not wearing any! WHOOO HOO! I'm going to continue taking this msm stuff. :clap:

My knees don't hurt as much either. :up: I think I'll increase to 1/2 a teaspoon next week. You know....easy does it! LOL* I don't want to shock my body/system TOO fast. :lol:

MochaEyeCandy said:
I started taking 1 tsp of msm (6000 mg), 2 tsp of flaxseed oil, and 5000 mcg biotin powder. I blend everything in my breakfast smoothie, so I can't taste anything but milk, strawberries and bananas (thank God :lol:).

The first 3 or so days I had mild headaches, a runny nose and a few pimples (about 4). The strange things about the pimples is that they haven't fully rippened yet, if that makes any sense. My pimples always turn into whiteheads, these ones haven't. It's almost like there is an imaginary forcefield on my face preventing them from coming out? They aren't red, they aren't whiteheads, just raised skin that you can only see when the light hits me a certain way. I'm not sure if the biotin or msm is the culprit, my guess would be a bit of both. The rest of my skin looks great, and is significantly less dry. I don't know why I ever stopped using it. Can't wait for my new growth to be more managable.

MSM is the culprit, after 2 and a half weeks of taking MSM, I have about 6 of these pimples. They just started appearing today; same thing, just raise skin you can see when light hit them. I thought I would not experience the pimples since it's been almost 3 weeks of taking MSM with no sign of pimples. I hope they go away as fast as they appeared.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Ooooooo I think I'm starting to get some results! I've been taking 1/4 teaspoon of powdered msm for about 2 weeks now, and today I looked at my face in the mirror and it is so CLEAR!! :D :D It is so soft too!

Just a few days ago I was complaining on this board about how my face was looking so dry that it was actually PEELING! :eek: Now, my skin is so smooth! I look like I'm wearing my foundation, but I'm not wearing any! WHOOO HOO! I'm going to continue taking this msm stuff. :clap:

My knees don't hurt as much either. :up: I think I'll increase to 1/2 a teaspoon next week. You know....easy does it! LOL* I don't want to shock my body/system TOO fast. :lol:
Congratulations Crystalicequeen123 and MochaEyeCandy! I can't wait for these new pimples (I have two small, raised bumps) to go away. It's been a week now. My skin was very clear and smooth before MSM and I'm looking forward to getting it back!

Shani325 - There's no difference between the capsules and powder to my knowledge. The capsules have the powder inside anyway.

Last edited:
Isis said:
Congratulations Crystalicequeen123 and MochaEyeCandy! I can't wait for these new pimples (I have two small, raised bumps) to go away. It's been a week now. My skin was very clear and smooth before MSM and I'm looking forward to getting it back!

Shani325 - There's no difference between the capsules and powder to my knowledge. The capsules have the powder inside anyway.

thanks Isis, I went to the vitamin shoppe yesterday and they told me the same thing.

I have started taking my MSM at night before I go to bed, I'm also looking for the pimples, I see a few guys popping up but I'm PMSing so I'm not sure who is who.

Is it okay to take them at night?

OK, I really want to try MSM, in fact I'm thinking of buying some today. The skin thing is really scaring me because I already have problem skin that Im trying to get under control, but on the other hand the results seem to be worth it. I don't know if this question was asked before but how long do the side effects last. And also I am currently taking biotin 2500 from GNC and i was wondering if that is too much with the MSM? TIA

prissygirl114 said:
OK, I really want to try MSM, in fact I'm thinking of buying some today. The skin thing is really scaring me because I already have problem skin that Im trying to get under control, but on the other hand the results seem to be worth it. I don't know if this question was asked before but how long do the side effects last. And also I am currently taking biotin 2500 from GNC and i was wondering if that is too much with the MSM? TIA

The pimples are disappearing as fast as they appeared, I only noticed them yesterday. When I got home at 6, I washed my face and then put a big chunk of Clearasil on each of them (like a mask, since I was not planning on going anywhere), I repeated the process at 9:00 pm, and also Midnight (not the face washing but taking the Clearasil out with cotton balls and re-applying). When I woke up this morning at 6:00am, they where almost gone. I plan to repeat the process tonight and they should be completely gone by tomorrow.

dlewis said:
With all the side effects, is it worth taking MSM, in your opinon?
Yes, i believe it is worth it, because it is a natural detoxifier, the body is getting rid of waste, there has to be an output to remove it. If you drink enough water the symptons should passs quickly.

Last edited:
Crystalicequeen123 said:

This stuff is the bomb. I have increased my water intake as Den1 suggested and my skin looks supple and clear.

I dont know about hair growth because I have a weave and wont see my hair until April. But the skin and knee, MSM has done wonders...:clap::clap::clap:

I'm just curious what happens when you stop taking the MSM. Does the positive revert back to the negative. I've had this happen with Biotin, while shampooing my hair with the product it remained thick and full, but once I stopped my hair my hair started to thin. I'm no hair expert so this could be the result of something else, but I was just wondering.

I just got my MSM in the mail yesterday from Puritan's Pride. This morning I only used 1/4 a teaspoon and put it in 10 oz. of water. The instructions say 1/2 teaspoon in 8 oz.of water. I hope what I did was ok. Also, I drank it down at one time. Do any of you take all at once or do you sip your water/juice throughout the day? Are you taking it in the morning or night?

Hey Ladies! :) Anybody catch yourself in the mirror more often now because your skin is so amazing?

This past Saturday, I had some errands to run and, my skin was so pretty after washing that I said to myself, "I'm going to go out without makeup and just moisturizer and lip gloss and see what response I get." ;)

First stop....WALGREENS...PACKED on a Saturday morning....I'm in the back of the line.....a brother walks in (middle-aged gentleman)....walks past the line and me.....stops.....walks back up to me and says, "You are a beauitful woman you know that? What do you do to stay so pretty? Exercise a lot?" I said, "no....it's all diet and I get a LOT of sleep! ;) " (lawd knows my lazy arse is not exercising!) :cool: I was embarrassed but also very flattered and I was thinking...."MSM and OLIVE OIL IS MY BABY-DADDY!!!":p

CantBeCopied said:
Hey Ladies! :) Anybody catch yourself in the mirror more often now because your skin is so amazing?

This past Saturday, I had some errands to run and, my skin was so pretty after washing that I said to myself, "I'm going to go out without makeup and just moisturizer and lip gloss and see what response I get." ;)

First stop....WALGREENS...PACKED on a Saturday morning....I'm in the back of the line.....a brother walks in (middle-aged gentleman)....walks past the line and me.....stops.....walks back up to me and says, "You are a beauitful woman you know that? What do you do to stay so pretty? Exercise a lot?" I said, "no....it's all diet and I get a LOT of sleep! ;) " (lawd knows my lazy arse is not exercising!) :cool: I was embarrassed but also very flattered and I was thinking...."MSM and OLIVE OIL IS MY BABY-DADDY!!!":p

CantBeCopied- I am interested to know how do you wash with the EVOO ( at night or morning), I tried this before but my face felt so heavy and oily after I cleansed with EVOO and applied my mositurizer, and I have oily skin!

shani325 said:
CantBeCopied- I am interested to know how do you wash with the EVOO ( at night or morning), I tried this before but my face felt so heavy and oily after I cleansed with EVOO and applied my mositurizer, and I have oily skin!

Hi Shani....I coat my face with EVOO at least once a day and wait 10-15 minutes and then wipe off gently with a hot washcloth. I then follow up with moisturizer. I have combination skin. I have applied a little blemish cream to my blemishes occassionally before applying the moisturizer. You'll see....your skin will begin tightening underneath with the MSM and it will respond to the EVOO differently. Here is a link to the original Skincare EVOO WASH thread where the methods were tried, tested and tweaked....

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=6395

Last edited:
divinefavor said:
I just got my MSM in the mail yesterday from Puritan's Pride. This morning I only used 1/4 a teaspoon and put it in 10 oz. of water. The instructions say 1/2 teaspoon in 8 oz.of water. I hope what I did was ok. Also, I drank it down at one time. Do any of you take all at once or do you sip your water/juice throughout the day? Are you taking it in the morning or night?
I mix all of my supplements (from Puritan's Pride) into my morning smoothie and drink it for breakfast. It tastes great, and it's good for me.

CantBeCopied said:
Hi Shani....I coat my face with EVOO at least once a day and wait 10-15 minutes and then wipe off gently with a hot washcloth. I then follow up with moisturizer. I have combination skin. I have applied a little blemish cream to my blemishes occassionally before applying the moisturizer. You'll see....your skin will begin tightening underneath with the MSM and it will respond to the EVOO differently. Here is a link to the original Skincare EVOO WASH thread where the methods were tried, tested and tweaked....

thanks! I will try again!

divinefavor said:
So far, I've been drinking mine down all at once in the evening, on a full stomach, about an hour after I've eaten.

shalom said:
I'm just curious what happens when you stop taking the MSM. Does the positive revert back to the negative. I've had this happen with Biotin, while shampooing my hair with the product it remained thick and full, but once I stopped my hair my hair started to thin. I'm no hair expert so this could be the result of something else, but I was just wondering.
That is a good question. Humanity has been an example of this, especially here in the U.S. where most of our food is depleted of MSM besides it being destroyed by cooking. Disease and illness is too common in this country. Since MSM does not stay in the body (like vitamin C does not), I would think we need to always maintain a good level of sulfur to stay in the best of health.

CantBeCopied said:

thanks for posting how to do the EVOO face wash CBC!

Back