MSM Side Effects...

MSM has not only made me gassy but I think it has been increasing my appetite! Something I DON'T NEED, anyone else with increased appetite?

I cut back a little this past week to 4000mg 2x daily cause I was starting to have pains in my side (like cramps you get from running). Now I feel great! I've noticed that my lungs feel incredibly clear....I think I might go workout to see if it has made a difference workout performance. I'll report on it later.

gn1g said:
MSM has not only made me gassy but I think it has been increasing my appetite! Something I DON'T NEED, anyone else with increased appetite?
I have not experienced an increased appetite from taking sulphur. Eggs don't increase my appetite either. Are you sure it's the MSM?

gn1g said:

I've noticed I crave protein more. I could usually take or leave protein. Now I eat more peanuts, meat, fish, etc. One of my best friends said it increased her appetite for everything, for me it was just protein.

gn1g said:

I've noticed this!! I always feel hungry a couple hours after eating now.:lol: My skin is also taking forever to clear up since I increased my dosage. I think I'm going to decrease my dosage to 1500mg, or 1000mg if that doesn't work.

wow your hair really grew nicely and quickly in a few months...looks like it thickened up too! what do you attribute it to?

I was thinking about taking this after i stop nursing my son. But i'll be on birth control and i read some posts where taking MSM messed with their cycles. I wonder would it mess with my birth control. :confused:

brandy said:
Yea it messed up my monthly cycle! Before taking MSM, I had my periods every 26/27 days. But when I started taking MSM, my periods were coming every 35 days! I swore not to take them ever again. I still got a bottle full of MSM.

It messed my cycle up too! I know that it was the MSM because it was the only supplement I was taking. I had to stop taking them because of this problem. Now I take GNC UltraNourishair and It does have MSM but not enough to mess up your cycle.

Sweetcoco82 said:
I was thinking about taking this after i stop nursing my son. But i'll be on birth control and i read some posts where taking MSM messed with their cycles. I wonder would it mess with my birth control. :confused:
I know this is true, I haven't had a period since January...and let me stop the madness before it starts, NO I'm not pregnant, and YES I'm sure. :lol:

I take the pill and use MSM and neither messes with the other. As a matter of fact, I just joined this site last month, and as of last week, I had already grown 1.5 inches in 3 weeks, so im pretty excited about the regime I've learned to use here - inlcuding msm..

I'm so happy I finally read this thread. I've been congested and sneezing (6-8 times in a row) for the past couple of days. Before my nose was running like crazy and my head felt like it was going to explode :eek: . I thought I was getting allergies (I've never had any) and started taking Nyquil. I'm glad to know my body is detoxing. I've just quit smoking so maybe it'll be harder for me. Thanks for sharing ladies, without this thread, I would be on the way to the doctor.:)

BTW, my skin is doing much better. I was just taking MSM for my hair, and I noticed my skin was peeling, but I thought it was the dry winter air. I was studying my face and my skin looks much smoother and different somehow, I thought I was imagining it, but all I can say is WOW!:grin:

I was massaging my scalp earlier, and it is soooo sore. I think it's the biotin causing the tenderness. My now feels the way it usually does after taking down braids and detangling. If my past experience is any indicator, that means it's getting ready to shoot out of my scalp at record speed. :grin:

gn1g said:

I am up to 7500 mg and now I am experiencing the gasseyness...:( but I am loving what is happening with my face. I will be excited to see if the hair on my head is growing...

I didn't think my face could get smoother, but it is! It's like everyday the pores are getting smaller or just disappearing.:)

amorette said:
REALLY? IS THAT FROM TAKING THE POWDER OR THE PILLS, AND HOW MUCH DO YOU TAKE?
If you mean me, it's from taking the powder. I started with 1/4 teaspoon per day on March 1 which is 1500 mg according to my bottle. I increased it to 1/2 teaspoon a few days ago (3000 mg). I posted more info in the Skin Care section too in CantBeCopied's thread.
My scalp is still sore from the new growth. It started out on the back of my head almost right away. Now it's still my crown. I like this kind of soreness. :yep:

Divine Inspiration said:
bumping b/c this thread is informative...plus I'd like to hear updates

I upped my dosage (from 3,000mg to 8,000) and started having detox symptoms again. :ohwell:

I started taking a single 1000mg capsule (GNC) a day a week ago. Today I started taking 2 capsules daily. How often are you ladies going up in dosage? I also take 2500mg of Biotin daily. I have not felt scalp soreness, but my crown sure itches a lot. Anyone else get itching?

I have experienced a white head on my face which I have never had before along with slight face peeling.

Doll said:
I started taking a single 1000mg capsule (GNC) a day a week ago. Today I started taking 2 capsules daily. How often are you ladies going up in dosage? I also take 2500mg of Biotin daily. I have not felt scalp soreness, but my crown sure itches a lot. Anyone else get itching?

I have experienced a white head on my face which I have never had before along with slight face peeling.

My dosage are up to 8750 mg per day.

I have not felt any soreness of scalp, itching or face peeling. I do have gas out of this world. Actually not as bad as before.

The pores of my face are tighter and my complexion has evened out nicely.

What is the amount most take before feeling the punch in the side??

gn1g said:

I did some research on this MSM and flatulence. Here is what I found out....

Although you are doing all the right things, part of detox can be because your body's waste management has not been doing all it should be. By starting to give it what it needs to process and eliminate the wastes, you can still be thrown into detox.
Bloating and gassiness can indicate parasite die-off (even if they are microscopic parasites).

I upped my doasage to 5000mg a couple weeks ago. I was trying to up it to 7500mg. But my head started bothering me so I lowered it back down. I'll try to up it again in a couple more weeks and see what happens.

Doll said:

yes i get the itching too. its so ridiculous how its part of my daily life now. i figure the hair is growing then.:lol: I take 9000-12,000mg daily. the face is clearer and no spots since i increased my water intake. No detox symptoms either i guess i m used to it but my scalp is so itching from everything i m taking i m scratching every friggin second under my plastic cap:mad:

I know that taking vitamins are good for the body esp. hair vitamins because they contribute to hair growth and strength but as I am reading some posts I am worried that some of you guys may be taking way more than you need to. Don't some vitamins cause adverse effects when you take too much of it? Anyway, if I kept taking a vitamin and having constant scalp itching, missed or late periods and cramps I would definitely decrease my dosage. Not to offend anyone but maybe you're taking too much MSM.:perplexed

assiyrabomb said:
I know that taking vitamins are good for the body esp. hair vitamins because they contribute to hair growth and strength but as I am reading some posts I am worried that some of you guys may be taking way more than you need to. Don't some vitamins cause adverse effects when you take too much of it? Anyway, if I kept taking a vitamin and having constant scalp itching, missed or late periods and cramps I would definitely decrease my dosage. Not to offend anyone but maybe you're taking too much MSM.:perplexed

I started out March 1 taking just 1/4 teaspoon each day of MSM (1500 mg) and my scalp got sore rather than itchy right away. I know from experience this was indicating new hairgrowth. A few days ago I increased my dosage to 1/2 teaspoon daily (3000 mg) and so far so good.

I do agree if my body or cycle was affected in a negative way by MSM, I would stop taking it. But my body, skin and hair (nails too!) are loving it so far.:)

XXXtacy said:
I did some research on this MSM and flatulence. Here is what I found out....

Although you are doing all the right things, part of detox can be because your body's waste management has not been doing all it should be. By starting to give it what it needs to process and eliminate the wastes, you can still be thrown into detox. Bloating and gassiness can indicate parasite die-off (even if they are microscopic parasites).
I haven't had any gassiness yet, thank goodness! But that's very interesting about the parasite die-off. I read in another post that MSM kiils all parasites. I just didn't know it's the cause of the gas! If it happens, I hope it doesn't stink...

Back