MSM Side Effects...

Armyqt said:
Update: I took 3000mg of MSM last night around 8pm and took my melatonin aaround 10pm. I slept for about 3 hours and I was up the rest of the night. I couldn't back back to sleep until around 5am. So no more night MSM for me. This morning I took my whole tsp all at once like I used to when I was on it before. I also take vit c packets which each contain 1000mg of MSM each. So I'm up to 6000mg a day now.

Anywho, I was in Ulta today and as I was in line staring at some of the products, I turned to look and see if the line was moving only to catch a cashier STARING (in a good way) at me. So I smiled at her and she smiled back. I thought nothing of it. As I was at the register I caught another cashier staring at me. WOW! I have to say my skin was looking da bomb today, but I thought it was in my head.

I gave some MSM to my son's BFs mom today for joint pain. MSMS is a great all around supplement. Now I just need to get back on my biotin as well.

ETA: I'm taking Natural Balance Lignisul MSM and it says on the container that it supports healthy collagen production.

Also ladies, please note that the Lignisul MSM is the BEST kind to take. I don't remember why, but I just remember this from when I was taking it before.

For anyone who would like to know about Lignisul MSM, I googled Lignisul MSM and found this from floralhealth.com :

Flora uses only Lignisul MSM, which is the first patented brand of MSM specifically developed as ultrapure food grade for human consumption as a nutritional supplement. Lignisul is a non-animal based nutritional supplement derived from pine trees. Unlike most forms of MSM, including those imported from China, which are synthetic, Lignisul is an all-natural source of MSM. In addition, it has been certified Kosher-Parve by the Kosher Overseers Associates of America.

Hey, am up to 20,000mg /day. I iniatiLLY had the headache but they are now gone. i just started experiencing the sore scalp. But has anyone experienced vivid dream while taking MSM. I used to be unable to remember dreams now Its like a good movie every night. anybody else had this?

secretdiamond said:
For anyone who would like to know about Lignisul MSM, I googled Lignisul MSM and found this from floralhealth.com :

Yes, i take Lignisul MSM now also, after reading that it is the best one to take.

Brinasia said:
Hey, am up to 20,000mg /day. I iniatiLLY had the headache but they are now gone. i just started experiencing the sore scalp. But has anyone experienced vivid dream while taking MSM. I used to be unable to remember dreams now Its like a good movie every night. anybody else had this?

Today is 1 week since taking MSM crystals and I have been dreaming like crazy! Every morning since last Monday, I have been telling my husband all the dreams I've been having. Each dream is so real and very vivid. Amazing.

XXXtacy said:
Ok....I'm up to 10,000 mg. No itchiness or sorenes:(

Face looks good though

Since taking the MSM, I've noticed my skin looking tighter and smoother. Now, my skin has always been beautiful, but it's looking better.

I've also had the worse gas that I've ever had!!! I let one out the other day and it was so long, I thought my insides were going to come out with it:lachen: :lachen: Now that I hear I'm not alone, it's not so bad. I lit a candle at work today at my desk, so that as I let them go (don't ever hold them in) no one will smell anything. I can't wait for this to stop.

Nice & Wavy said:
Since taking the MSM, I've noticed my skin looking tighter and smoother. Now, my skin has always been beautiful, but it's looking better.

I've also had the worse gas that I've ever had!!! I let one out the other day and it was so long, I thought my insides were going to come out with it:lachen: :lachen: Now that I hear I'm not alone, it's not so bad. I lit a candle at work today at my desk, so that as I let them go (don't ever hold them in) no one will smell anything. I can't wait for this to stop.
See, that's why I haven't increased my dosage that much yet! :lachen: :lachen: Sounds like your parasites may be dying off, which is a good thing. Now how much MSM are you taking Nice & Wavy?

Brinasia said:

Nice & Wavy said:
Today is 1 week since taking MSM crystals and I have been dreaming like crazy! Every morning since last Monday, I have been telling my husband all the dreams I've been having. Each dream is so real and very vivid. Amazing.

I too am experiencing more vivid dreams and I love it!

Last edited:
Isis said:
See, that's why I haven't increased my dosage that much yet! :lachen: :lachen: Sounds like your parasites may be dying off. Now how much MSM are you taking Nice & Wavy?

I have had increased gas too and I wasn't sure if it was my increased protein (?) or what. Never even occurred to me that it was the MSM. But, the gas that I have seems to be very light and airy and nearly odorless....but they are long and loud. :ohwell: Anyone else experiencing it this way?

CantBeCopied said:
I have had increased gas too and I wasn't sure if it was my increased protein (?) or what. Never even occurred to me that it was the MSM. But, the gas that I have seems to be very light and airy and nearly odorless....but they are long and loud. :ohwell: Anyone else experiencing it this way?

I don't take a lot on a daily basis so I know my gas isn't from that.

But I tell you what, I can get airy from too much protien depending if lactose is present. SOme protien shakes can make me clear a room:lol: So I'm always careful to try picking a protien powder with little to no lactose.

But also, flax can cause the poots too (I've learned in my years of taking this stuff that it can be great as long you don't go over your limit)

-A

Isis said:
See, that's why I haven't increased my dosage that much yet! :lachen: :lachen: Sounds like your parasites may be dying off, which is a good thing. Now how much MSM are you taking Nice & Wavy?

I too am experiencing more vivid dreams and I love it!

I've only been taking 1/4 teaspoon once a day. I want to increase it to 1/2 teaspoon on Wednesday.

CantBeCopied said:

I think mines are starting to lighten up, since it was not so bad today. Light and airy :lol: and a mild odor is what I'm experiencing today, so maybe it's kicking in. They are still long, not to loud, though. (This is making me laugh like crazy, all this talk about light and airy, long and loud. I'd better stop laughing so much before one slips past me by mistake) :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Nice & Wavy said:
I think mines are starting to lighten up, since it was not so bad today. Light and airy :lol: and a mild odor is what I'm experiencing today, so maybe it's kicking in. They are still long, not to loud, though. (This is making me laugh like crazy, all this talk about light and airy, long and loud. I'd better stop laughing so much before one slips past me by mistake) :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

:grin: *LOL* I know. It's almost the same sensation as when you blow up a balloon and then you just let it go....that long, airy, noisy, but quite harmless effect. *LOL* :grin: Oh well. *smh* (okay, I will stop acting like I am 10) :ohwell: :look:

CantBeCopied said:
:grin: *LOL* I know. It's almost the same sensation as when you blow up a balloon and then you just let it go....that long, airy, noisy, but quite harmless effect. *LOL* :grin: Oh well. *smh* (okay, I will stop acting like I am 10) :ohwell: :look:

LOL!!!! Stop before it happens.................

CantBeCopied said:

If its the light airy, none-stinkafied kinds, LET IT OUT!

I don't hold those in.... I just let 'em fly and keep moving...:lol:

sunnyjohn said:
If its the light airy, none-stinkafied kinds, LET IT OUT!

I don't hold those in.... I just let 'em fly and keep moving...:lol:

I think this thread is going to turn out to be funnnyyyyyyyy!!!!! Now that was a good one sunnyjohn!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice & Wavy said:

:lachen::lachen:Honey, it is so embarrassing but it does pass. Slightly over a month and the gas is subsiding. Just the light airy toxic ones.:fart: j/k

ekomba said:
Hey Vevster, for me the side effects were softer , straighter and more manageable hair. It did alter the texture of my hair but it made it combable (i dont know if i can say this hahaha) i was able to comb it dry :grin: and from the roots to the tips and i m a natural 4b. but i advise to start low like 500-1000mg of msm or 1/4-1/8 teaspoon and to increase gradually else your body will go in detox. you will feel sick and nose runny as if you caught the flu but in fact you detoxing so not only that another side effect is if you consume too much i know i reached my limit which is 12,000mg but if you take a lot and then start to notice a sharp pain in the body around the abdomen or the side that kinda paralyze you for one minute and its a sharp strong pain, lower your consumption till you dont feel it or cut it completely for 2 days and restart gradually till you comfortable. i first noticed the hair was getting straight in the front and curlier in the back when i m a 4b and then when i went overboard i had the pain i know i tried 20,000mg so i went back to 12,000mg and dont feel nothing except softer and more manageable hair

What brand do you use?

Nice & Wavy said:
I've only been taking 1/4 teaspoon once a day. I want to increase it to 1/2 teaspoon on Wednesday.
Hmm...that's what I'm taking, 1/2 tsp. I may increase it just a little this month.

Isis said:
Hmm...that's what I'm taking, 1/2 tsp. I may increase it just a little this month.

I did increase it to 1/2 tsp and I'm not getting the gas I did in the beginning. I'm also not feeling that loopy feeling either. It probably didn't last long with me because I was already taking pure MSM capsules prior to the powder, so I probably got lots of the toxins out, thank God.

Nice & Wavy said:
I did increase it to 1/2 tsp and I'm not getting the gas I did in the beginning. I'm also not feeling that loopy feeling either. It probably didn't last long with me because I was already taking pure MSM capsules prior to the powder, so I probably got lots of the toxins out, thank God.
That's really good. Your vitamin regimen looks very healthy too so that may have helped.

Isis said:
That's really good. Your vitamin regimen looks very healthy too so that may have helped.

Yes, and I believe its because I changed my diet as well. I haven't been eating much meat, just fish mostly, and no sugar at all!

I have also noticed that when i first begin MSM (after a hiatus) i break out in 1 or 2 pimples. I know its the MSM because i NEVER get pimples except for once a month, in those few days right before my period. I usually get one or two pimples, then it goes away toward the end of my cycle. But with the MSM, i break out the few days after starting it. But it soon goes away..... after that, I notice the looser curl pattern. I cant really say whether or not I'd attribute my growth to the MSM, since I take other supplements as well...... After my big ole' container of the MSM powder is gone Im not sure that i'll be replacing it. I don't feel happy or unhappy with it.... just ambivalent, you know? :look:

Oddly enough, I don't really know how much I intake daily. I make my iced tea with MSM.... in the pitcher I include two scoops of the iced tea powder mix, a GOOD amount of MSM, and then a fair amount of sugar to sweeten the tea and mask the bitter MSM taste. I usually will drink about two glasses of iced tea throughout the day. In addition, I sometimes will mix a bit of MSM in my canned vegetables too, before heating it up. But after reading everyone else's reviews, I may begin to take the MSM in doses, just so I can see what Im consuming, and either increase/decrease it based on results. Taking it blindly, as I do, probably isnt the best idea. :ohwell:

KiniKakes said:
I have also noticed that when i first begin MSM (after a hiatus) i break out in 1 or 2 pimples. I know its the MSM because i NEVER get pimples except for once a month, in those few days right before my period. I usually get one or two pimples, then it goes away toward the end of my cycle. But with the MSM, i break out the few days after starting it. But it soon goes away..... after that, I notice the looser curl pattern. I cant really say whether or not I'd attribute my growth to the MSM, since I take other supplements as well...... After my big ole' container of the MSM powder is gone Im not sure that i'll be replacing it. I don't feel happy or unhappy with it.... just ambivalent, you know? :look:

Oddly enough, I don't really know how much I intake daily. I make my iced tea with MSM.... in the pitcher I include two scoops of the iced tea powder mix, a GOOD amount of MSM, and then a fair amount of sugar to sweeten the tea and mask the bitter MSM taste. I usually will drink about two glasses of iced tea throughout the day. In addition, I sometimes will mix a bit of MSM in my canned vegetables too, before heating it up. But after reading everyone else's reviews, I may begin to take the MSM in doses, just so I can see what Im consuming, and either increase/decrease it based on results. Taking it blindly, as I do, probably isnt the best idea. :ohwell:

You are probably right. I haven't been taking MSM long, but I started out with 1/4 teaspoon and now I have upped it to 1/2 teaspoon. I did notice the first week a raised pimple, but it never became a full blown pimple. It went away quietly, no problems. I believe that the sugar could be your downfall. Sugar is not good for us, especially during the time before our periods. So, it may not be the MSM that's causing the frequent outbreaks, but the sugar. MSM removes toxins out of our system. You aren't helping by using that much suger. Also, the tea has caffeine which is another culprit that isn't good for us.

What I do is I use something called Garden of Life Perfect Food Super Greens. I can't have brocclli, beans, etc. because I get terrible gas from it. So the super greens has all those things the body needs and more. It comes in powder form so I use a scoop of that with apple juice with No Sugar Added and Not from Concentrate. I have a shaker and I put the greens in the apple juice, and then I add my MSM. I shake it all up together and then I drink. I love it. I have such energy throughout the day and I feel great. You can have it with a meal or not. I drink it and then eat about 1 hour later. I do drink lots of water afterwards, though so I can help the MSM flush out the toxins in my body.

You can drink other, more natural things that would be much more beneficial than ice tea and won't even taste the MSM in it. It would be so much better for your system.

Hope that helps somewhat.

I started taking UltraNourish Hair (GNC) yesterday; it has 500 mg of MSM. I took it at 6:00 pm and at around 9:00 pm I had a lightly throbbing headache. Not intolerable, but a little annoying. I NEVER get headaches so I am guessing it was the pills but I didn't expect to experience any side effect that quickly.

Also, I am really bad about drinking water. I bought a liter bottle today because I do not want the side effects to worsen.

LovelyZ said:
I started taking UltraNourish Hair (GNC) yesterday; it has 500 mg of MSM. I took it at 6:00 pm and at around 9:00 pm I had a lightly throbbing headache. Not intolerable, but a little annoying. I NEVER get headaches so I am guessing it was the pills but I didn't expect to experience any side effect that quickly.

Also, I am really bad about drinking water. I bought a liter bottle today because I do not want the side effects to worsen.

You must drink at least 1/2 your body weight of water. For instance if you weigh 153 pounds, you should be drinking a minimum of:

76.5oz of water which is an equivalent to:

2 - 32oz bottles of water plus an additional 16oz which will put you at 80 oz which is good.

It will help you pass out those toxins fast which is why you are probably getting the slight headaches. You must also watch what you are eating as well. It won't make any sense to take MSM and then eat lots of fats and sugars all day. You will be combatting the MSM and then you might have some reactions you don't need.

For those of you experiencing these side effects, are you all taking more than the recommended dosage??? :smirk:

I would like to know because I'm interested in just taking MSM for overall health for the recommended dosage...

Poohbear said:
For those of you experiencing these side effects, are you all taking more than the recommended dosage??? :smirk:

I would like to know because I'm interested in just taking MSM for overall health for the recommended dosage...

I've increased mine and the side effects are gone.

Poohbear said:

When I experienced my first detox symptoms I was taking what the bottle recommended. But, because MSM has the same toxicity profile as water the recommended dosage varies. Some people take as much as 20,000mgs/day for treating arthritis others as little as 1,00mgs/day for general health. I'm between 4,000-6,000mg/day and the detox symptoms have disappeared. They come back whenever I increase the dosage, but never last more than a week or so.

Back