Miconazole Nitrate

Okay, I was in my DH's medicine cabinet today and saw a can of Neosporin-AF liquid spray. My mind got to thinking.

I've used it before and it is cold (on my feet). Couldn't imagine using it on my scalp. Freeze City!!!

Oh, btw, for you ladies who have money taken out of your paychecks for Flexible spending accounts (through your job). OTC products like neosporin, aspirin, etc are reimbursable.

You get your money back.

So in essence, you could buy like 10 tubes, submit the reciept and recieve a reimbursement check in about 2 weeks. Then when you run out, you can buy some more.

As long as you have money in your FSA.

Just a thought.

Newbie here....I've been lurking for a long time and when I came upon this thread I decided to give the Miconazole Nitrate a try...I've been using it for a few days...my scalp is sore :confused: so I hope that means something good is happening in those folicles. :look: Does anyone know if the Neosporin AF come in a tube larger than 0.5oz? That stuff is expensive :eek: ....last night I went to Rite Aid and got their store brand of Miconazole (the 7 day cream) and the tube is twice the size of the Neosporin AF but it was $10:99 :ohwell:

I'll be posting my progress here.....btw I LOVE this thread!! :)

EMJazzy said:
Newbie here....I've been lurking for a long time and when I came upon this thread I decided to give the Miconazole Nitrate a try...I've been using it for a few days...my scalp is sore :confused: so I hope that means something good is happening in those folicles. :look: Does anyone know if the Neosporin AF come in a tube larger than 0.5oz? That stuff is expensive :eek: ....last night I went to Rite Aid and got their store brand of Miconazole (the 7 day cream) and the tube is twice the size of the Neosporin AF but it was $10:99 :ohwell:

I'll be posting my progress here.....btw I LOVE this thread!! :)
Have you tried going to Walmart and using their brand, it might be cheaper. Also I wonder if you can mix it with another grease or oil to make it stretch. If memory serves me correct, in the other thread, the person had mix the cream with grease and applied it. HTH Q

Edited to add: That various times during my MTG experience, my head would get really sore. I just recently took out my twists after 4 months, I have 3 inches of new growth.

EMJazzy said:
I've been using it for a few days...my scalp is sore :confused: so I hope that means something good is happening in those folicles. :look:

I've been using it for almost a week and my scalp is sore too. I massage it twice a day and it is soooo soothing!.

queeny20 said:
Have you tried going to Walmart and using their brand, it might be cheaper. Also I wonder if you can mix it with another grease or oil to make it stretch. If memory serves me correct, in the other thread, the person had mix the cream with grease and applied it. HTH Q

Edited to add: That various times during my MTG experience, my head would get really sore. I just recently took out my twists after 4 months, I have 3 inches of new growth.

It didn't even dawn on me to go to Walmart. I will try there next. Thank you! :) I'm going to mix it this time also....I saw on here how someone mixed cayenne pepper cream, cortizone cream and the antifungal cream together....I can't wait to try that mixture! ;)

I'm happy to report my head is no longer sore....I'm using the mix I mentioned above twice daily. Anyone else have an update??? A newbie needs to know :)

Ok, so I was somewhat disappointed at the end of the first week. But I had slacked off a bit here and there. Week 2 was worse because I ran out and it took me a few days to remember to pick more up. But, week 3 I was determined (and consistent) and it paid off in spades. I got my hair braided last friday and today (7 days later) there's already 1/4 inch of new growth! :eek: :D That's not
a big deal to most of the folks here, but that's double my usually growth rate.
:yay:

ETA: Oh I forgot to say, the scalp soreness I experienced in the beginning has been replaced with some wicked itching!
ETA: To add photo.
braid_growth_comp-vi.jpg

Last edited:
sareca said:
Ok, so I was somewhat disappointed at the end of the first week. But I had slacked off a bit here and there. Week 2 was worse because I ran out and it took me a few days to remember to pick more up. But, week 3 I was determined (and consistent) and it paid off in spades. I got my hair braided last friday and today there's already 1/4 inch of new growth! :eek: :D That's not
wow thats a good growth rate in only a couple days!
im still waiting on my order... oh and i just read that someone in the found the uk version- 'Daktarin' (i gonna have a look for it)

naturaline said:
im still waiting on my order... oh and i just read that someone in the found the uk version- 'Daktarin' (i gonna have a look for it)

Oh wait... it was 7 days. Did I say a couple? Ooops. It's a good rate, but it ain't that good. :lachen:

sareca said:
Oh wait... it was 7 days. Did I say a couple? Ooops. It's a good rate, but it ain't that good. :lachen:
yeah i understood- 7days isnt that long at all! i happy for you, you 've had great reasults!

k well i have been using sparingly like every two or 3 days for about a week and a half..and i have some new growth..not much..but i haven't been consistent with it , so i guess thats good. However i did just get a relaxer like 3 days before use..so i hope im not under processed. But starting yesterday I will be using everyday 2X a day.

This is a very interesting thread. I have a thin spot that I'm trying to fill in. I wonder if this would work. Has anyone had success growing in a bald or thin spot?

I've been doing this for about 2-3 weeks since reading about HoneyDew's great research and experience thus far. So far, so good. Best thing about it is that there is no scent! I have nightmares about sitting in a conference room at my job and having the smoke detectors go off from the smell of MTG in my hair. :lol: Just can't do it, in spite of my chronic PJism and great reviews.

Anyway, has anyone noticed that the Neosporin reverts previously flat-ironed NG? I wasn't sure at first, but confirmed it this week on my 6 weeks post relaxed 4A roots. This makes sense due to the water content, I presume. Now I will be putting it on my scalp after my shampoo/DC/roller-set dries, but BEFORE I flat-iron my NG twice per week. Can use more frequently in the weeks following a touch-ups. Any similar experiences?

sareca said:
Ok, so I was somewhat disappointed at the end of the first week. But I had slacked off a bit here and there. Week 2 was worse because I ran out and it took me a few days to remember to pick more up. But, week 3 I was determined (and consistent) and it paid off in spades. I got my hair braided last friday and today (7 days later) there's already 1/4 inch of new growth! :eek: :D That's not

ETA: Oh I forgot to say, the scalp soreness I experienced in the beginning has been replaced with some wicked itching!

that is how it happens to me. It is like no growth for a long period of time and then BOOM it starts. I noticed that when I 1st started to use it and also after I relaxed.

Also, I also get a lot of itching, as well.

Pokahontas said:
This is a very interesting thread. I have a thin spot that I'm trying to fill in. I wonder if this would work. Has anyone had success growing in a bald or thin spot?

MTG or Emu oil work better for thin spots (at least for me). Miconazole doesn't seem to thicken my hair it just makes what's already there grow faster.

Last edited:
Pokahontas said:

I have a bald spot that hair is growing in now....only thing is I don't know if it's from the MTG or the Miconazole Nitrate mix I've been using :confused: or both. Heck I'm just happy hair is growing there at all!! :D

: Miconazole Nitrate

naturaline said:
im still waiting my order... oh and i just read that someone in the found the uk version- 'Daktarin' (i gonna have a look for it)

So does Daktarin definitely have Miconazole Nitrate in it?
If so im about to buy some :)
Is it the dual action cream or the Gold one (this one has 2% ketoconazole)

EMJazzy said:
I have a bald spot that hair is growing in now....only thing is I don't know if it's from the MTG or the Miconazole Nitrate mix I've been using :confused: or both. Heck I'm just happy hair is growing there at all!! :D
Hmmmm....I wonder which one it was also. I really need something for this spot.

sareca said:
MTG or Emu oil work better for thin spots (at least for me). Miconazole doesn't seem to thicken my hair it just makes what's already there grow faster.
Ok, thanks sareca. I may just have to break down and get some mtg but just for that spot, that's all I"m worried about.

Re: : Miconazole Nitrate

loonatick said:
So does Daktarin definitely have Miconazole Nitrate in it?
If so im about to buy some :)
Is it the dual action cream or the Gold one (this one has 2% ketoconazole)

Daktarin is the one you want, the one in the green and white tube. I got mine from superdrug but got it from behind the counter from the pharmacist (they didn't ask me any questions), as the others in the store were the athlete's foot one and I didn't want that one.

daktarin_cream_25pc.jpg

LondonDiva said:
Daktarin is the one you want, the one in the green and white tube. I got mine from superdrug but got it from behind the counter from the pharmacist (they didn't ask me any questions), as the others in the store were the athlete's foot one and I didn't want that one.

daktarin_cream_25pc.jpg
how much did it cost? what size is the tube? x

I had never heard about this hair method until I went home on vacation last month and a lot of the females in my family were using it. It does seem to work but I will wait to see if there is any long term effects of using the products. My scalp is very sensitive and some items tend to have a different effect on my hair,

tbanae said:
Anyone using miconazole nitrate 4% or more?

Someone posted that they would try it but I think the only products that are 4% or more is Monistat.

I don't think I could use monistat because of the thick bulky texture.

Back