Miconazole Nitrate

Phoenix said:
Do you remember which thread is was or who posted it? I missed that...

I don't remember the name of the thread. I wish I did, I may try to look for it.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see NubiaRose's post before replying.

Last edited:
HoneyDew said:
I have been afraid to share my progress because of how many haters are out there, but I decided to for those that are open minded.

I mean there are ladies all over the world walking around smelling of cade oil and sulfur MTG juices, but they never get any hate.

I just can't use that stuff.

I even tried mixing my own Sulfur powder and oil, but it left too much build up for the styles I like to wear. I don't like oily weighed down hair.

So, because I was skeptical too, I decided to try Miconazole Nitrate. I just can't bring myself to use Monistat, so I opted for Neosporin AF. I like the texture of it actually and it never gets in my hair.

I read all the buzz here about Miconazole Nitrate, but I got really hyped up after a neighbor of mine grew her hair pretty fast after getting it cut. I commented on how fast it grew and she said that she uses Elta creams on her scalp for a boost. Specifically Elta Trivase and Elta Tar Lite, she told me. I am going to try the Elta Trivase, I think. I ordered some from Ebay.

Anyway, I have been using Neosporin AF almos everyday for 2 weeks. Check my album for a picture. I will continue to track it for another month or so to see if the growth rate continues. I am still a bit skeptical. :ohwell:

Honeydew,

Did you ever order these? If so, how were they compared to NF? tia

i keep playing with my hair..im loving the length and thickness...im like afraid im like jinxed or something and its temporary...i just want to show it off and style it...but i know i know..back to protective styling :ohwell:

Okay, I read NubianRose's post about the breakage she experienced. So...has anyone else gotten a relaxer after using MN? If so, what was the outcome and did you experience any breakage?

Phoenix said:
Okay, I read NubianRose's post about the breakage she experienced. So...has anyone else gotten a relaxer after using MN? If so, what was the outcome and did you experience any breakage?

bumping..do like have to stop for a lil like MTG

Ladies, how long did it take before you started seeing new growth? I couldn't really keep track before bc I was 22 weeks post relaxer. I relaxed last saturday and have been using the Neosporin AF twice a day this week. When should I start seeing results? In another week or so? Just curious... I'm almost done my 2nd tube of this stuff.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Ladies, how long did it take before you started seeing new growth? I couldn't really keep track before bc I was 22 weeks post relaxer. I relaxed last saturday and have been using the Neosporin AF twice a day this week. When should I start seeing results? In another week or so? Just curious... I'm almost done my 2nd tube of this stuff.

You were using MN before your relaxer, right? Did you have any adverse effects after getting your relaxer?

_lovelyness said:
Hey Londondiva, I went to boots yesterday and bought the daktarine 2%! Thanks for letting UK ladies know about it:) I'm happy to hear it's working for you ! that's encouraging ! Hope it does the same for me. I relaxed my hair a week ago so I hope to see some growth by week 4. Do you apply it once or twice a day? Is it supposed to tingle or not? thanks !!

I use it once a day. I'm thinking of doing a mix n blend and incorporating my MTG usuage back into the mix. I really don't have time at 6am to be tending to my hair, I do all of that TLC stuff like topical applications to the scalp when I get hime from work.

I wouldn't say tingle is the right word to use, I notice some kind of sensation but it doesn't last long. My hair itches like nobody's business though.:ohwell:

Phoenix said:
You were using MN before your relaxer, right? Did you have any adverse effects after getting your relaxer?

Yeah but not consistently. I only applied it a few times. As far as adverse effects, there aren't any that I know of. My hair also hadn't been permed in 5 1/2 months.

maryj1584 said:
something interesting I found, was a list of antifungal essential oils. I am thinking of making a super hair concuction and I would see if I can include these. The main ones were red thyme oil and lavender, [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Chamomile[/FONT] and basil. Here is the link

http://www.aromacaring.co.uk/antifungal_table.htm

Anybody heard of burdock root oil,or burdock root supplements.I'm going to search for some more info on this,i came across burdock root oil,and one of its main benefits from burdock root oil is hair growth.;)

bmoreflyygirl said:

I started noticing after the 2nd week.

I just got my Neosporin AF yesterday.
There's no smell, and it just blends in with the hair. So far, so good. It's easy to use, and I like that. I'll be putting some in today as well.

Okay, I have an update. (kinda)

I started using the neosporin a week to 2 weeks after I got my hair relaxed. I wasn't very consistent at the beginning, and during the second week I decided to add the 4% Monistat. I noticed no tingles, no itching. So three weeks post relaxer, I go to a stylist I use when my primary stylist is booked to get my hair shampooed. They are great at doing hair and keeping it healthy, but they are in another city. While the stylist is doing my hair, they ask me when was the last time I had my hair relaxed, I tell them 3 weeks then ask "why, does it look like it's time for one?" The stylists replies, "yes, yes it does." Then, as they are finishing up my hair they say to me, "you really should have gotten a relaxer today."

The fourth week I decided to do the Neosporin in the AM and the 4% in the PM, both followed by scalp massages. My scalp began itching and tingling like crazy. My scalp was tender, which I've noticed happens when I'm getting alot of growth. Week 5, I could not comb through my hair. The new growth was incredibly thick especially in the back. I found this weird strand from the back of my head that was wavy/curly at the root, wavy/straight in the middle (I was taking MSM for a week or two) and then coily at the end before it got to the relaxed part of my hair. I decided to stretch it out, and the not straight part was three inches. (I don't know if all that was new growth, but it was interesting).

I got a relaxer today at 5 weeks. I decided to use my bang to track my growth. My bang was at the end of my nose before I went into the salon. The salon I go to believes in trimming the hair at every relaxer as a preventative measure (I don't believe in this at all, and will soon find a new salon for relaxers). So while my hair is wet, my stylist says to me "Wow, your hair has definately grown" (she's never commented on the growth before), then proceeds to cut my hair while it's wet (she's never done that before either, she always cuts dry, as most of the stylists I've gone to do, so she can see the splits if there are any), and i was pretty sure I didn't have any split ends. I started to protest, but the hairs that I saw falling on my cover-up from her cutting were really short, so I kept my mouth shut. Then I noticed she was taking an incrediby long time for a trim, going back over areas she had already trimmed, but me with my blind trust thought, oh she's just being really meticulous, getting hairs she didn't getting cutting in the other direction. So I got home, my bang that I was going to use to measure my growth is now about 2 1/2 inches shorter than it was when I went in to the salon.
So I can't say how much my hair really grew. I don't know why she did this. I know the back of my hair had alot more new growth than the sides, and the back is already longer than the sides, so maybe she was trying to even it up (which i didn't ask her to do and do not care about having evenly cut hair right now). I have no idea why she cut my bang so short though. I figured something was fishy when she began "cutting" my hair wet instead of "trimming" it dry, but i brushed my gut aside. I mean, I can see that my hair grew a little, but I have no idea how much it really grew.
So, this stuff definately works really well. Needless to say, I will never go to her for a relaxer again.

mona_cherie said:

I started using the neosporin a week to 2 weeks after I got my hair relaxed. I wasn't very consistent at the beginning, and during the second week I decided to add the 4% Monistat. I noticed no tingles, no itching. So three weeks post relaxer, I go to a stylist I use when my primary stylist is booked to get my hair shampooed. They are great at doing hair and keeping it healthy, but they are in another city. While the stylist is doing my hair, they ask me when was the last time I had my hair relaxed, I tell them 3 weeks then ask "why, does it look like it's time for one?" The stylists replies, "yes, yes it does." Then, as they are finishing up my hair they say to me, "you really should have gotten a relaxer today."

The fourth week I decided to do the Neosporin in the AM and the 4% in the PM, both followed by scalp massages. My scalp began itching and tingling like crazy. My scalp was tender, which I've noticed happens when I'm getting alot of growth. Week 5, I could not comb through my hair. The new growth was incredibly thick especially in the back. I found this weird strand from the back of my head that was wavy/curly at the root, wavy/straight in the middle (I was taking MSM for a week or two) and then coily at the end before it got to the relaxed part of my hair. I decided to stretch it out, and the not straight part was three inches. (I don't know if all that was new growth, but it was interesting).

I got a relaxer today at 5 weeks. I decided to use my bang to track my growth. My bang was at the end of my nose before I went into the salon. The salon I go to believes in trimming the hair at every relaxer as a preventative measure (I don't believe in this at all, and will soon find a new salon for relaxers). So while my hair is wet, my stylist says to me "Wow, your hair has definately grown" (she's never commented on the growth before), then proceeds to cut my hair while it's wet (she's never done that before either, she always cuts dry, as most of the stylists I've gone to do, so she can see the splits if there are any), and i was pretty sure I didn't have any split ends. I started to protest, but the hairs that I saw falling on my cover-up from her cutting were really short, so I kept my mouth shut. Then I noticed she was taking an incrediby long time for a trim, going back over areas she had already trimmed, but me with my blind trust thought, oh she's just being really meticulous, getting hairs she didn't getting cutting in the other direction. So I got home, my bang that I was going to use to measure my growth is now about 2 1/2 inches shorter than it was when I went in to the salon.
So I can't say how much my hair really grew. I don't know why she did this. I know the back of my hair had alot more new growth than the sides, and the back is already longer than the sides, so maybe she was trying to even it up (which i didn't ask her to do and do not care about having evenly cut hair right now). I have no idea why she cut my bang so short though. I figured something was fishy when she began "cutting" my hair wet instead of "trimming" it dry, but i brushed my gut aside. I mean, I can see that my hair grew a little, but I have no idea how much it really grew.
So, this stuff definately works really well. Needless to say, I will never go to her for a relaxer again.

Yeah girl I would go to someone else. Whenever I used to get my hair relaxed, my stylist always asked if I wanted a trim first and always did it in a mirror so I could see how much. There were times when I did not need a trim and she did not trim it. I just think some stylists are just a little too quick to trim hair. Hopefully you will be able to use your current length as a guide to track your progress. Q

mona_cherie said:

Great post.

Thanks for the update!!!

Update:

I've been mixing MN 4% and 2% with Surge for about a month now, and I have a lot of new growth.

I'm 9 weeks past relaxer now and the new growth is tightly coiled, so it's tough to gauge the actual length. I'll get a touch up soon and continue this all summer to get back to bra strap length.

Not suggesting that anyone else dump Neosporin and/or Monistat in their Surge. Not suggesting that at all.
;)

aqualung said:
Not suggesting that anyone else dump Neosporin and/or Monistat in their Surge. Not suggesting that at all.
;)

Now that is taking it to another level! :)

Do the creams dissolve in the Surge? Do you have to mix it everytime?

I cannot use liquid/wet products on my hair between washes because my hair would look at hot mess. How do you wear your hair. Do you ever get any build up.

I just massage a little Neosporin AF cream on my scalp once nightly and I am getting GREAT growth. I can't imagine how much growth you must be getting. :)

mona_cherie said:

Great update!!! :up:

I dislike parting and rubbing the scalp. Pet Peeve. I'd rather part and slop on Surge with the nozzle tip on the bottle.

The creams are sitting at the bottom on the bottle. I doubt they dissolved entirely immediately, but I haven't looked down in there since I dumped them in.

I shake it up before each application. When the surge gets low, I refill from another bottle, shake some more, and continue applying from the bottle with the creams in it.

Having wet roots in the morning is ok now that the weather is warm. I have to comb from roots to ends after each surge application, else all the new growth gets matted. Extreme hassle :ohwell: , but I'm 4b. If I surge the night before, the new growth is soft by morning.

There's buildup from the surge and additives, yeah. I wear my hair in a bun or ponytail or down. It's arm pit length even with the new growth coiled up, so whatever.

HoneyDew said:
Now that is taking it to another level! :)

Do the creams dissolve in the Surge? Do you have to mix it everytime?

I cannot use liquid/wet products on my hair between washes because my hair would look at hot mess. How do you wear your hair. Do you ever get any build up.

I just massage a little Neosporin AF cream on my scalp once nightly and I am getting GREAT growth. I can't imagine how much growth you must be getting. :)

My scalp is getting that growth soreness and itchies :yay: Now what the hell I'm gonna do with my hair in the meantime I have no clue.... :look: It's too thin to weave at the moment

bmoreflyygirl said:
My scalp is getting that growth soreness and itchies :yay: Now what the hell I'm gonna do with my hair in the meantime I have no clue.... :look: It's too thin to weave at the moment

I had that problem after I started the no braids or weaves challenge. I did not know what to do with my hair at all. I hated it! But, my hair seemed to thicken as the weeks went on. I deep conditioned twice a week and i also used a shampoo and conditioner rinse that gave me more volume.

bmoreflyygirl said:

hi bmoreflyygirl,

do you mind telling me what all you are using? Are you just using the AF alone? I just started yesterday using the AF.

tia,
tishee

Back