March 2016: Hits & Misses

Hit: Soultanicals Afrotastic Deep Conditioner I love this DC!! The moisture is extremely long lasting. I washed my hair on Friday and didnt moisturize until Thursday! It is great to use after a protein treatment and awesome layered with Curl Junkie Rehab. Also, a little goes a long way. I've usedmy 8oz jar 4 times and I'm only halfway through it.

@myronnie

:goodpost:

Hits: Hairveda 24/7 Moisture Conditioner for co-washing and leave in; Hairveda Sitranillah as a moisturizing DC, especially after Megatek protein treatment; glycerin directly on hair after washing and conditioning or co-washing and following with leave-in and/or butter; pure Aloe Vera juice as a rinse after DCing to close the cuticles of my high porosity hair; wooden brush with wooden bristles for detangling in the shower: very stimulating on my scalp, excellent detangler and gets out all the shed hair!

Meh: Hairveda Whipped Moisture and Acai Berry Conditioner. Not as impressive as the Hairveda 24/7 Condish or Sitranillah DC. But not turrible, either. Will use up and then not repurchase.

Miss: Beautiful Curls DC and Leave in for Wavy/Curly Hair. Left my hair feeling parched and hard.

Last edited:
Okay here's my review of the Conair Double Wavy Detangling comb:

I don't know how I feel about it yet. I used it alone this morning on shampooed hair, then I used it on conditioned hair and felt that it was pulling my hair out both times. I think I'll detangle first with my Goody detangler then use the Conair detangler afterwards to further remove the shed hairs.

I did like how it felt once the tangles were gone. It felt as though it would work best for as a shed hair remover AFTER detangling with another comb. I'll continue to use it different ways to see if it will work better for me. I'm not giving up on it yet.

Meh:
True Cowash Conditioner

Did it clean my hair YES.

It did sufficiently cleanse my hair. However, there was no "wow" factor. Wasn't good. Wasn't bad. Just Meh.:yawn: I felt it left my hair a little dry.

If I wanted something OTG for Cowashing and walked into a Sally, I would grab As I Am Cowash or Eden Body Works Cowash instead.:yep:

Meh:
True Cowash Conditioner

Did it clean my hair YES.

It did sufficiently cleanse my hair. However, there was no "wow" factor. Wasn't good. Wasn't bad. Just Meh.:yawn: I felt it left my hair a little dry.

If I wanted something OTG for Cowashing and walked into a Sally, I would grab As I Am Cowash or Eden Body Works Cowash instead.:yep:
@IDareT'sHair
Thanks for the review.

@Beany

What's it like consistency, smell, etc......

I'm gonna edit this when I get home and smell it, but the smell isn't offensive.

It's a lotion type consistency. Not runny at all. I read a review from a woman that said she was able to detangle with it. My hair was pretty detangled before I used it, but it does have some slip to it. It comes in a bottle with a pump, which is so much better than most shampoos or cowashes.

ETA: The smell is really light, kinda sweet and clean (almost like detergent, but not as harsh). The smell is not noticeable and quite forgettable. @IDareT'sHair

Last edited:
Okay here's my review of the Conair Double Wavy Detangling comb: I don't know how I feel about it yet. I used it alone this morning on shampooed hair, then I used it on conditioned hair and felt that it was pulling my hair out both times.

@Aggie

You could always sell the unused one(s) and make your money back. I'm sure someone there would buy them and probably love them.

@Beany
:goodpost: Imma try it.

Thanks Sis.:kiss:

OT: How's Mama-Beany's Hurr? You know she's an unofficial member.:laugh:

Girl I was just home for visit last week and saw her head. Her hair is growing and she seems to be retaining well. However, her hair looks dry, hard, and is full of tangles. She likes using otg bss products so I stopped sending her stuff. She BARELY finger detangles. I wanted to get in there and detangle it, but she's so tenderheaded smh. She's liking her natural hair though so I'm glad for her. I think she would flourish with locs.

Eta: thanks for asking about her

Naturelle Grow (I just LOVE this line!)

Her deep conditioners are always a hit and stay in rotation, but I recently tried her refresher sprays or "spritzers" I believe they're called. I loved these instantly, ordered samples I'll be reordering the full sized in all scents!

Camille Rose -

I'm late to this train, but that almond jai butter & curlmaker give my hair LIFE!!! Pricey, but well worth it!

These are BOMB!!

Last edited:
New Hits

Applying cowash on dry hair and then wetting with water .
Sheamoisture High Porosity cowash, hair felt smooth and clean after rinsing. Very soft

Neither a hit nor a miss
Sheamoisture High Porosity masque. I kept it in only for 5 minutes per the instructions. Next time I will try it for a longer period of time but after rinsing my hair wasnt amazingly soft. It was just..........soft, LOL Its hard to explain but I was waiting for something extra amazing BUT It wasnt a bad experience. I will reserve judgement for next week when I use it again.

INSTANT STAPLE HIT: Shea Moisture High Porosity Mask :circle:
All I have to say is @AgeinATL , please go get chu some.
You don't need a whole lot. I sat under the dryer for 30 minutes. Upon rinsing I heard angels singing. I had to keep rinsing because I didn't think it was all out. My hair was just that soft and supple.
Shea Moisture outdid themselves this time for real. I could not keep my hands out of my hair. It was soft and smooth. I'm going to get a couple more jars before they switch up the formula. The ACV definitely had my little coils poppin.
I'm so happy to have now 2 OTG DCs. More to come as I dig through this stash.

Y'all know I hates the shea moisture though I be trying to love them. I saw those lines and I feel like they confused the HP and LP line because I would never use glycerin or even recommend it on low po hair. I wanted to try the HP masque, even if I have little hope it will work. Now I will pick some up.

Hit:
Kinky Kurly Knot Today. My hair is soft. Like super soft. Feels nice. I haven't had hair that soft in a while. Will definitely be keeping this stuff around. This is a good example of how you don't need a lot to have a good product.

As I Am Cowash. I normally hate cowashing but I liked this. You don't need to deep condition after this. I was very happy. Removed residue and wasn't drying. Did cause massive shrinking but I think it helped the Kinky Kurly a bit more. :yep:

Meh:
APB leave in spray. This is great with the LLC method but not as a refresher. A little goes a long way, I've had a bottle for a minute now. I like it, but if I use it as a refresher, I get mucho residue.

Miss:
Nothing yet.

hits:
- oyin hair dew & avocado oil. BUT what makes my hair even smoother is oyin , then layering kinky curly knot today on top, and then sealing with avocado oil. my hair stays soft for a couple days at least, and my ends stay straight with no breakage.
-kinky curly pool party- they have this at my local bss and it is creamy leave in has sunscreen in it which is great for our hair in this hot sun. I used it today and my hair is so soft
-Aubrey organics gpb & white camellia conditioner . used them the last two washes and my hair was well conditioned

misses:
shea moisture raw extra moisture detangler SUCKS. I even mixed it w water in a spray bottle (bc it was too drying straight out the bottle) and it did nothing. in fact it made my hair feel rough
-jane carter revitalizing leave in spray .it didn't seem to do anything for my relaxed hair. but I will try it again when my new growth starts getting thick.
That pool party leave in actually sounds innovative. I would try it.

Hits:
* Joico Moisture Recovery - I've had this for awhile and didn't think it worked, initially. But I pulled it out during my last wash and my hair hasn't been this easy to comb in a LONG time.
*Camile Rose Coconut Water Leave In Treatment

Misses:
*Having a lot of thick, dense natural hair and thinking it was a swell idea to get small box braids today. Got upcharged up the wazoo, took forever, and I'm pretty sure my monster hair gave the braiders PTSD. How do people get microbraids?!?
*Not properly blowing out my hair before previous mentioned braids. Mistakes were made.

Back