Make him feel like a man

...Does anyone here feel that you have to downplay your independence in order to have a successful relationship?
Never, ESPECIALLY when you 1) were like that before you got married and 2) your independence was part of what attracted your husband to you in the first place. IMO, if a man feels like he can't do anything for you because you don't need him to do everything for you, that's an insecurity he needs to work through.

what more did your sister have to say about him treating his first wife better because she's white?

I suspected this from your post but I didn't want to bring it up.

Please correct me if I'm way off base, but I get the feeling that a good portion of your dissatisfaction with him, wasn't really the unemployment itself, but his attitude and mindset towards the whole situation which included your pregnancy.

Not only was he being lazy and relying on you, but I'm sure that went hand-in-hand with passive aggressive actions that didn't make you feel safe, comfortable and cherished.

If he had made the home a positive place for you to come home to where you didn't have to deal with his negative attitude, I don't think you would have had as much of an issue, especially if he had been proactive with his employment efforts.

Also, while I can't say 100% that race is a factor, I do believe like I and another poster stated previously, that there are some BM who do behave differently and put in more effort when in rlsps with non-BW vs BW.

ITA with this whole post.

I also think trying to divide women into different camps is not productive or accurate. Not only do different couples need different relationship styles that work for them, you may need to bring different things to the same relationship at different times.

And the bolded is spot on true for some BM.

OP you're in a tough situation. I don't have any advice for you either. My instinct would be to be as vulnerable and honest with him as I could regarding how his behavior was making me feel about myself, the marriage, and our ability to care for our child....and then I would give him some space to change his behavior and reward anything that was positive with praise and support. But that approach may or may not work based on the type of man you're dealing with.

Best to you and I hope it works out.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks. I still struggle with understanding why women try to beat this idea of "making a man feel needed" into other women, especially in situations like the OP's. She is the breadwinner, provider, and the caregiver in her household. These are the facts. Her reality is that he is not (financially) needed, so I don't know what kind of acrobatics and contortions her family and others expect her to do, in order to make him "feel" like a man. Being supportive and showing compassion is just about all she can do. He needs to accept the responsibility of proving his value to her, and showing her that she is worthy of having a reliable, dedicated, protector and provider as a husband and father to their child. He may not be saying it, but thus far his actions imply that his former wife (for whatever reason) was worth the effort. A man with integrity doesn't need coercion to fulfill his role as head of household.

Had to highlight this, not just for the OP but for other women (single/dating or in married/rlsps).

This is a very new marriage and he isn't bringing his A-game? That's a very big NO-NO.

OP sorry you're gong through this. I would suggest logging off and seeing a pastor, counselor, etc.. someone you trust and will be neutral.

I'm not saying that either one of you is right or wrong, but this forum will have you divorced by lunch time LOL if that's not what you want then please talk to your husband directly. Otherwise I don't see how this can work.

Sent from my iPhone 10 using LHCF

@Perfexion, These women on here will have you single. (Note how quickly the thread turned into yet another 'he ain't ish-fest'.) If you actually want to stay with this man, the belligerence in this thread will not help you do acheive that goal. You titled it, 'make him feel like a man', right? To do that, he has to feel needed and, as of right now, he obviously does not. The book I rec'd does have some 'interesting' parts (ie, give him control of the money), so take what you need and leave the rest.

Re: bm stepping up their game for ww. Unpopular opinion alert: when you're projecting 'strong black woman', you can't expect a man to trip over himself trynna help you out. You look like you got it (and enjoy having it). That Dita pic with the guys running over to pick up her umbrella says it all, which is why I said it should be an instructional photo. The advice in this thread is the type of ish you hear from women who don't know how to 'work' a man. I'm no expert, but I am self-aware enough to know what I don't know and attempt to rectify it.

@Zaynab, what say you?

Honey Bee you said EXACTLY everything I was thinking. I was just going to hold my tongue. :rolleyes:

But I wanna know Zaynab's thoughts on this as well......

Wow. This whole idea of black guys acting out with black women is eye opening! I thought it was just an African thing!

OP what are you going to do?

I dont know any African male that will be OK with the wife providing while he looks like a goat.

They probably exist..somewhere, I dont know such people so Im not sure how its an African thing

Anyway this thread reminds me why if I hve kids, I wont have them early in the marriage..easier to run without baggage..

Last edited:
No, let me say this to you. What's happening IS a reflection of your hubby, his effort, and dealings with you. I do not believe there is anything you can do to change his actions; this is how he has decided to operate with "you."

We treat people different and how they allow us to, easy case in point, the differences of treatment for you versus wife #1.

Do not allow anyone, even your husband, to do less than you require, period. Not that it matters, but your hubby would getting 1 of 2 things if he were married to me:
1. legal seperation papers
2. a job pronto

I dont like his tone and he would know FULL well if he were married to me, BUT this is your marriage.

*pardon my frank post and great luck*
I'll let other comments, but know what you want and require it.

Before I met my husband I was single for ten years and he was happily married to a white woman. He had two jobs so that she didn't have to work. They both always wanted children and she wanted to be a stay at home mom. He didn't think twice about letting her quit her job even though they struggled financially. It turns out she was infertile which kinda started all their marital problems and ultimately lead to their divorce. While all that was going on, I was finishing off a few degrees, moving my way up the career ladder, and traveling the world.

While we were dating the fact that he was such a good provider and big family man was appealing to me and the fact that I was so worldly and successful appealed to him. However, as soon as we got married and moved in together everything changed. He was unemployed for the first 9 months of our marriage. He actually got a job on an ultimatum because I was ready to leave him. Even though we talked about having children, at the time when we got pregnant I actually contemplated termination. I couldn't imagine having to physically carry the baby while working full time, and then financially supporting the whole family while he sat at home. Right now he is working, but I still pay most of the bills. If he can't afford to pay a bill one month then I just pay it. I don't want our lights to get cut off just because he's in charge of that bill. Why should we struggle when we don't have to?

When I went home for Thanksgiving (without him) my family gave me a little intervention about my marriage. My sister said that he acts like a bum because I don't treat him like I need him. I already had my own fully established life by the time he got into the picture. She said that his ex wife was probably way more dependent on him and that made him feel like a man so he just naturally stepped up. My cousin thinks he just treated his ex wife better because she was white but that's a whole different debate. Does anyone here feel that you have to downplay your independence in order to have a successful relationship?

Last edited:
^I kinda dont see you defending a man who purposely didnt look for a job until he received na ultimatium

if i remember correctly yall recommended that Womanhood book which even mentioned that a woman should move out if her husband isnt acting like a provider..

auparavant - :)

Cliff notes version (kinda) - I'm sick and tired of the wife being held responsible for her husbands ish when she's being normal. Now we all know those bad wives, I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the wives/mothers who are supportive and loving.

Husband starts acting up - everybody starts looking at the wife. What did she/didn't she do? What can she do to fix it? Bump that ish! Yes, support your husband. Let him know you love and appreciate him. But dammit, sometimes those jokas act the hell up and it was NOTHING the wife did!!! Aaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

I'm just stopping here, haven't read through all the replies but I don't think women understand this or how to do it. Like, we say we do it but its not sincere and if it precedes or followed a tongue thrashing of "you need to do this and you need to do that", its not true support and true appreciation. This is what I find that most women do not do.

barbiesocialite said:
Honey Bee you said EXACTLY everything I was thinking. I was just going to hold my tongue. :rolleyes:

But I wanna know Zaynab's thoughts on this as well......

You would stay with a man who didn't want to work and bought you costume jewelry. Inna need receipts from you barbs.

First of all, I don't think this is OP's fault but I do believe she's enabled him a bit. I know this sounds crazy but I've seen and witnessed first hand how we think we aren't acting being the head of household/independent woman in a marriage but our tone, actions, body language, whatever is stating that we are. The ex wife who was dependent may have just sat back and not questioned/asked or even seemed concerned about finances/bills, etc. I know this because I know women that do it and myself included.

But let me say, this is a hard balance to strike, being a career woman but dependent wife. It's not an easy transition to make yet no one can see what the men see. If he didn't feel like he knew you'd run out and pay the power bill, he would have gotten it paid, someway, somehow, call a brother, mama whatever. I'm not sure how that dialogue went but if you were asking him everyday likie "what are we going to do about this bill and that bill" instead of just handing them over and letting him figure it out, I believe he would have handled it.

Also, OP construction has taken a hard hit in the last few years. I wonder if you've given him enough time and support. Let me say, I am not a unicorn, my DH lost his six figure job years ago and it was not. a. happy. time. at. all. It was a very very very bad time and I 100% believe finances can destroy a marriage. My attitude was flip and my 'support and appreciation' of him was insincere. On Monday I would be like awww I'm here, we're in it together and on Tuesday I would be like "so niglet what you gonna do about this power bill?" So on Wednesday, my appreciation from Monday was invalid. I was also without saying it directly, had the "it was my money" and I was the head of the household. His ego was down and deflated and while I thought I was encouraging him and motivating him, I was essentially emasculating him. For a short time, he lost his fire and his hustle and he's always been a hustler. I thought I was being supportive, it was until my mom actually told me to hold it back, hand him the bills, yes hand the unemployed man the bills (I was like why? :scratchch ) and let him at least come up with a plan of action which of course meant I would pay.:rolleyes: But not to keep talking about because yet again, it was going to make him feel less than a man. I also think that in your case, your DH may have stopped taking the lead with paying the bills once he got a PT or whatever job because he again, didn't feel like he had to or you would take up the slack. The costume jewelry and plant thing, I think was an attempt to do something thoughtful or considerate--regardless of whether you liked it or not. I have found that men will attempt random things for you but if we don't even show the smallest of gratitude, they feel tremendously let down and they just won't do it again. Or they will have the "why bother" attitude, nothing is ever gonna be enough. I think this translates into his job searching/paying bills as well.

I don't get that he's a sorry man. He wouldn't just turn into one, he would have been a non-provider. And I don't get that he's putting in less effort because you're not a WW. I know folks wanna get hung up on that but I don't think it's the case at all. I DO think there is a different approach with WW/BM and the dependence and independence. The WW I know, don't know or care about the bills. I mean they have an idea that they shouldn't be at Target this week but generally don't concern themselves with it. Whether they SAHM or work, they very much show it is a man's job to lead. I don't want to make this a race thing because I don't think it is but I do think this perceived lack of protection and dependence often comes from how we respond to situations

If I had to go back and do it again, I would have moved out during the time that DH wasn't working. To explain to him that he needed to be a provider again and that me and my children couldn't stay where we weren't being taken care of, regardless of whether I could do it or not. Men respond to actions not words. Remember that.

^I kinda dont see you defending a man who purposely didnt look for a job until he received na ultimatium

if i remember correctly yall recommended that Womanhood book which even mentioned that a woman should move out if her husband isnt acting like a provider..

I think OP's approach is all wrong. I don't think she should have to give a grown man an ultimatum. BUT that she is doing that because she's enabled him a bit. She enbabled him because she felt that if she didn't do something or take the lead, then things would go awry, bills wouldn't get paid, etc.

I went through something similar and if I had to do it again and as I tell women NOW, I would have moved out temporarily or asked him to move out so that he could again take the lead. Men respond to actions not words. Too many words as I think OP has given him, turns into them feeling emasculated and unappreciated and ANYthing they attempt to do is refuted...they just simply will give up. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the insecure psyche of a man. Men don't feel secure when they can't provide. I've said this over and over again. A man's ability to provide is directly related to how he sees himself as a man. If he cannot he turns into what OP has said and with added criticism, it's hard for them to shake it off.

OP sorry you're gong through this. I would suggest logging off and seeing a pastor, counselor, etc.. someone you trust and will be neutral.

I'm not saying that either one of you is right or wrong, but this forum will have you divorced by lunch time LOL if that's not what you want then please talk to your husband directly. Otherwise I don't see how this can work.

Sent from my iPhone 10 using LHCF

Say that again. I'm reading some of these responses and shaking my head.

Ok ladies, YES a man is supposed to be a provider. Apparently, he is and has been a provider. I really don't buy the WW thing at all and I'm pretty hard on BM/WW.

I've seen RE/construction take a serious hit in the last few years, I can't say that it's recovered as of yet. I know builders that are walking off from brand new houses and letting them go back to the bank because they can't move them. I don't know what his other skills maybe but I also don't agree with berating or giving a grown man an ultimatum--that has the OPPOSITE effect.

Maybe I have an unrealistic view of marriage. I was single for too long. I don't really know how this is supposed to go. I just feel like his first wife got a better deal. He bought her a house and her own car. They traveled. They did things. We haven't even been on our honeymoon because WE can't afford it (I can afford it but I'd feel like a chump if I paid for our whole honeymoon when he was unemployed). Maybe it's because when he was married to her he was younger and more able/willing to work two jobs. Maybe she brow beat him into doing what she wanted. Maybe he's this way because he's been married before and he's trying not to make the same mistakes with me that he made with her. Maybe he loved her more. Maybe I read too many black romance novels and watch too much Single Ladies and Sex and the City reruns and I expect too much. We skipped all the romance of the honeymoon period and went straight to the marital problems of year five. Don't get me wrong. I'm not miserable but I wouldn't say I was happily married either. I'm actually just coasting but we've only been married for 15 months. Isn't it kinda early to coast? This is not the happily ever after I wanted. My prince charming turned into a frog the minute I said "I do."

I am firm believer in the power of positive thinking. I think that if you keep thinking this way, it's just manifesting itself. Don't take it lightly that you feel this way and I am sure he can FEEL it, if that makes sense. I'm sure your words and actions aren't all positive, all the time. I'm not blaming you at all but it's a tough situation to be in and please don't feel like you're the only person who has been in this, As I said, been there done that and while I THOUGHT I was being wonderful supportive wife, when I spoke my tone was shrill, I had slick comments, I was not at all in a we mentality it was me. I also know that I made DH feel very disposable as a man. I probably still do to an extent but that's another thread:look:

You would stay with a man who didn't want to work and bought you costume jewelry. Inna need receipts from you barbs.

Mortons well any man who didnt want to work wouldnt marry me. LOL I don't work to pay bills, never have, hope I never will. I'm no slave.:look: I work for myself. I don't know how we are going to eat or the bills would be paid if he didnt figure something out. Honestly, I wouldnt argue about it, I'd probably just leave after a certain amount of time had passed. :look: I'm not really for the berating and nagging approach. That's too exhausting and I think it'd make me bitter, jaded and even angrier than I already probably would be feeling at the time....

Also, I have to be honest, the amount I'm willing to tolerate has to do with how much he has given throughout the relationship and the time elapsed. Trust me, If I've been with someone even 2 years, he's paid some bills, bought some fine jewelry and financed a few things.:look: So if I've been married to man for 5,7, 9 years or so, I can see myself sticking it out with him for a little while if he is unemployed (maybe a year or two). I've never really been the ride or die type woman but at the same time I'm persistent and hate failure. He's probably done a lot for me and our family over the course of those years so I can see myself doing my damndest to uphold my marital vows and obligations for as long as I could. After that, I'm going to be honest, IDK what I'd do. I'd probably leave because I'd collapse under the pressure and also my feelings of resentment & disappointment. But part of that would be because I felt he failed on his end for so long. Believe it or not, I'm more about feeling protected than provided for and I just would feel so vulnerable and unsafe no knowing that my rock, my husband, can no longer take care of me and our family.....

Zaynab - I feel you.

Here's my experience with this - it was 1994 and we'd been married less than a year. Dh was working a crap job but they had good benefits. He was stressed to the max. I told him that whatever he decided to do, i'd support him.

A week later, he took some time off to think. I came home from work one day and he told me that he'd resigned from his job.

My reaction? I smiled a big toothy smile and said "Cool! They ain't ish anyway! What's our next move?" I knew him well enough to know that he would have a plan.

He had already enrolled in an accelerated training program that would take about a year to complete. It was rough, but we made it. He even took a job working in a warehouse at night to bring in some cash. The schedule was killing him so I gently nudged him to quit and concentrate on school. He did.

He graduated on time with high honors. Because he networked with some of the professors, he was contacted by two big companies for firm job offers. Matter of fact, he's still working for the company that hired him back then.

We argued like normal during that time, but he did his job as the provider by working towards a better career. I don't know how I would have been if he had done nothing and wouldn't open up and tell me what was wrong.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Something really does not compute for me in this situation. It seems very odd to me that he was supposedly working two jobs with wife #1, but the second he marries you he is suddenly jobless and you have to threaten him to find work. Yeah the economy is bad, but there are jobs out there. A man who takes pride in ability to provide would rather take a job as a janitor than live off of his woman.

My gut is telling me that your dh is not telling you the whole truth about the circumstances regarding his divorce. There are always two sides to every story and it would be interesting to hear from the ex wife about why they divorced. Your dh's version of the events is sounding just a bit too "pretty" to me. BTW, was your dh the one that filed for divorce or was it his ex?

Anyway, even if you can verify that he was a good provider for wife #1, it really doesn't mean anything. Right now your hubby is just dead weight and isn't supporting you at all. You said something to the effect that "he's a nice guy otherwise," but his failure to pull his weight is a huge deal. To me that's like saying, "well he was arrested for child molestation 10 years ago, but otherwise he's a nice guy..."

I'm not saying you should get a divorce, but this is an issue that you two need to resolve quickly and not let drag out. These kinds of situations can suck you dry and if you two can't make it work, you don't want to wait years and years to get out of the relationship. You need to let him know that this is a serious issue and if possible you should get counseling.

First step: should have peeped you are somewhat of a jump-off in his book...you probably don't have more mojo than the first wife

Second first step: never marry a man who is not self-MADE ...you cannot make a man. Things are complicated 100 fold when one is pregnant.:look:

To the rest:

images

All this bewitching and trickery to get him do what you want ...only works with someone who is SLIGHTLY beneath where he needs to be in a relationship. Frankenstein...you can't cut the stink off him cuz the whole thing is putrifying. Yeah, yeah, I know, the man is the head and the woman is the neck and she can turn the head in any direction she wants....AHEM...that only works if the head is actually worth something in the first place What good is a neck with a stupid head?

Last edited:
If this was a couple of years of marriage were he lost his job and had shown he was a willing and capable provider then I can see where @Zaynab, barbiesocialite, and a few of the other women stating some of the advice (I'm sure mine is included) would have her divorced, blah, blah, blah...... are coming from.

However, based on the facts the OP presented:

1) They've only been married for about 16 months
2) She was pregnant and had a baby (so that's nine months out of the whole marriage)
3) She had to issue an ultimate at about 8 months pregnant for him to get a job because (according to her) he was hardly making any effort.
4) The OP also implied by agreeing with certain statements that he wasn't making the home life any easier.

Something just seems off and I don't think it can all boil down to not being feminine and supportive enough with the right "WE" mentality.

Your new wife gets quickly pregnant with a child that you supposedly wanted so much that it caused issues resulting in a divorce when you couldn't have one and instead of this special time in your life invigorating you and pushing you, it seems to instead have made him depressed and passive aggressive. Alrighty then.

I'll repeat, something seems off. I mean, remove the wife from the equation for a second.

Your first child and you don't hustle and bust your *** to provide and contribute in a substantial way because your wife is capable and as some (her relatives and on here) are implying she's not dependent/supportive or whatever enough. Quite interesting.

To the @Perfexion, please don't get pregnant again until you sort your situation out. If you decide to work on the marriage make sure that he proves he is able, willing and capable of taking care of his responsibilities. There is no use being a Married but Single Mother just of the sake of being married.

Last edited:
First step: should have peeped you are somewhat of a jump-off in his book...you probably don't have more mojo than the first wife

Second first step: never marry a man who is not self-MADE ...you cannot make a man. Things are complicated 100 fold when one is pregnant.:look:

To the rest:

images

All this bewitching and trickery to get him do what you want ...only works with someone who is SLIGHTLY beneath where he needs to be in a relationship. Frankenstein...you can't cut the stink off him cuz the whole thing is putrifying. Yeah, yeah, I know, the man is the head and the woman is the neck and she can turn the head in any direction she wants....AHEM...that only works if the head is actually worth something in the first place What good is a neck with a stupid head?

Wait. What when?? Did OP say she was a jump off

OP:

Hope things are looking better, I´m a little harder on men in that regard because I grew up with a father that was a good provider and would do WHATEVER to provide for us financially. When I see guys ready to cross the desert to come here and sit outside of home depot just to send money back home. I´m like its always SOMETHING you can do. Unless he´recently disabled or on his death bed, its no excuse to me. Me being supportive means helping to create a better budget, maybe spending less etc. Not busting my behind pregnant to pay bills... he needs to figure it out. I think men work VERY well under pressure. You don't have to say much or fuss. Just say hey this isn't working for me and I'm stressed with this I´d like you take over.

I remember my aunt kept sending my younger male(24 year old) cousin money every week for his phone and food. I'm like auntie stop, do you think he´s going to figure it out if you keep sending him money. Once she stopped its amazing how quickly he found a job.

If this was a couple of years of marriage were he lost his job and had shown he was a willing and capable provider then I can see where @Zaynab, barbiesocialite, and a few of the other women stating some of the advice (I'm sure mine is included) would have her divorced, blah, blah, blah...... are coming from.

2) She was pregnant and had a baby (so that's nine months out of the whole marriage)
3) She had to issue an ultimate at about 8 months pregnant for him to get a job because (according to her) he was hardly making any effort.
4) The OP also implied by agreeing with certain statements that he wasn't making the home life any easier.

Something just seems off and I don't think it can all boil down to not being feminine and supportive enough with the right "WE" mentality.

Your new wife gets quickly pregnant with a child that you supposedly wanted so much that it caused issues resulting in a divorce when you couldn't have one and instead of this special time in your life invigorating you and pushing you, it seems to instead have made him depressed and passive aggressive. Alrighty then.

I'll repeat, something seems off. I mean, remove the wife from the equation for a second.

Your first child and you don't hustle and bust your *** to provide and contribute in a substantial way because your wife is capable and as some (her relatives and on here) are implying she's not dependent/supportive or whatever enough. Quite interesting.

To the @Perfexion, please don't get pregnant again until you sort your situation out. If you decide to work on the marriage make sure that he proves he is able, willing and capable of taking care of his responsibilities. There is no use being a Married but Single Mother just of the sake of being married.

I agree @NijaG something seems to be off. TBH, my reflexive response to the OP was "why'd you marry him?" :look: Most people show their true colors pretty early if you read in between the lines. But then again, most of the relationship was long-distance, I guess they are just now really getting to know each other? Either way, this situation is a mess. And I highly doubt it's all the DH's fault. It takes two to tango. She picked him, she played by these rules initially. My question is why?

OP:

Hope things are looking better, I´m a little harder on men in that regard because I grew up with a father that was a good provider and would do WHATEVER to provide for us financially. When I see guys ready to cross the desert to come here and sit outside of home depot just to send money back home. I´m like its always SOMETHING you can do. Unless he´recently disabled or on his death bed, its no excuse to me. Me being supportive means helping to create a better budget, maybe spending less etc. Not busting my behind pregnant to pay bills... he needs to figure it out. I think men work VERY well under pressure. You don't have to say much or fuss. Just say hey this isn't working for me and I'm stressed with this I´d like you take over.

Thanks. :yep:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using LHCF

This was a very well written post:yep:

I was not trying to blame the wife nor trying to attack her femininity, because I still don't think most women know what femininity is and it's not being a passive waif either. I'm trying to understand because as I said I've been in this situation and I know first hand how this can go. Obviously my experience was that DH had always been a provider, etc.

My advice would be not to divorce him. I'm not all for divorcing people unless you are being beat and or the man is not a provider. I don't get non-provider vibes from him in fact. But OP are we getting the whole story? Is this a fact that he provided for the first wife? Or were you told? Why did they divorce in the first place?

As I said in hindsight if I had to go back and do it again in my situation, I would have taken my children and moved out, to show DH action and not words--light a fire under him. Obviously, he got it together in a short time but I don't think men respond to ultimatums or words after the first sentence. That's JMO.

OP:

Not busting my behind pregnant to pay bills... he needs to figure it out. I think men work VERY well under pressure. You don't have to say much or fuss. Just say hey this isn't working for me and I'm stressed with this I´d like you take over.

THIS.

Is what I meant by enabling. And I was NOT blaming OP at all but I think she should just fall back, don't say anything anymore. Just say you know you're the head of the house so I know you will make the best decision regarding our finances and let that be it.

My DH is a hustler but when I mentally started trying to take over finances, he sat back a bit and I couldnt' figure out why. When I regrouped and dropped everything in his lap, he was out doing odd jobs, all sorts of random things I'd never thought he would do--I mean detailing cars even because I was like "these bills are due and I have no idea what to do". I mean I fell back completely

For all those that know me, I'd stay with a cheating man before I'd stay with one that didn't provide on purpose . THAT is how serious I am about a man providing. I still don't say divorce him but I'd he would have to take the lead, I wouldn't even act like I had a job to pay anything.

I don't know about the WW ex wife thing. I didn't really think that has anything t do with it TBH. But OP are you leaving some info out??

This was a very well written post:yep:

I was not trying to blame the wife nor trying to attack her femininity, because I still don't think most women know what femininity is and it's not being a passive waif either. I'm trying to understand because as I said I've been in this situation and I know first hand how this can go. Obviously my experience was that DH had always been a provider, etc.

My advice would be not to divorce him. I'm not all for divorcing people unless you are being beat and or the man is not a provider. I don't get non-provider vibes from him in fact. But OP are we getting the whole story? Is this a fact that he provided for the first wife? Or were you told? Why did they divorce in the first place?

As I said in hindsight if I had to go back and do it again in my situation, I would have taken my children and moved out, to show DH action and not words--light a fire under him. Obviously, he got it together in a short time but I don't think men respond to ultimatums or words after the first sentence. That's JMO.

@ the bolded, ITA. I'm not so sure he was such a wonderful husband to the first wife. And if he was such a hard-working, stable man why did he leave everything to live in her city and in her home and it seems without a job? Most really hard-working, ambitious men would not do this. I think we are missing a really big piece of this puzzle.

Back