Lonely Becky Says Yes To The Dress & Marries Herself

I think this can be hurtful though...to them. The whole act of planning and performing a ceremony marrying yourself like this says (to me) I'm giving up. Not I love and am committing to myself. It doesn't seem like a healthy way to process the idea of being alone/single and happy about it to me. It comes off more like "nobody wanted me but I'll show them". But what do I know? Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think this can be hurtful though...to them. The whole act of planning and performing a ceremony marrying yourself like this says (to me) I'm giving up. Not I love and am committing to myself. It doesn't seem like a healthy way to process the idea of being alone/single and happy about it to me. It comes off more like "nobody wanted me but I'll show them". But what do I know? Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I agree. I think it's great that they're brave enough to do it. At the same time though it feels like they're "giving up" to me. It has a finality to it that saddens me. In a way to me, this feels like they're making a mockery of the institution of marriage. That probably wasn't their intention but that how it comes across to me.

Back