LHCF 'SET BACK' PREVENTION 101

Manipulation you have to learn what is the right amount for you. If it's too high, it can lead to breakage, product overload, and tons of other nasties. If too low, it can lead to dreads, tangling, and the resulting breakage that comes from untangling.

Thanks for clarifying Jamaraa. :yep: In my case as a texlaxed AND transitioning fine head, low manipulation works for me.

Also, If you keep a protective style in for more than 2 days, I would recommend detangling your hair beforehand (for all hair types) so you don't have to deal with the stress later.

Last edited:
-Do what works for you and stick to it.
-When trying a new style and something about it goes against your gut instints telling you something is wrong, give it up and don't worry about the money you've spent. Kinky twists set me back b/c my hair was all the way to the end of the twists and I let them dip my hair in boiling water to curl the ends. Result= had to cut my hair into a bob from FINALLY reaching apl.
-Remember a set-back is just a set-up for a COME-BACK!!

This is a great thread Iris!
I agree with everything said so far.
All i have to add is make sure your hair is either wrapped or secure - relaxed or natural before bed. I know i have had breakage when i dont do this from rubbing etc.

Henna, tho a wonderful thing, can be abused which will result in dry and breaking hair.
!
heck yeah!!!!!! i've been using henna for about 2 yeas now (about every 6 weeks) with wonderful results... why did i decide to that i should do a henna treatment everyweek for a month... can we say protein overload
too much of a good thing can be BAD!:nono:
setback central... i was just about bsl now i'm back to apl:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
the breakage was horrible... i kept trying to convince myself it was shedding... NOT!!! and then i had to get a trim on top of the breakage:wallbash:

Also, I have to add: don't be afraid to trim badly split/damaged ends. Sometimes holding on to them will only have your hair looking worse. I RELUCTANTLY parted with about an inch of splits a week ago at the salon. I may not make my December APL goal now, but when I do finally make it, it will be full, healthy APL with fabulous ends.

I cannot thank your post enough. :clapping::clapping:

heck yeah!!!!!! i've been using henna for about 2 yeas now (about every 6 weeks) with wonderful results... why did i decide to that i should do a henna treatment everyweek for a month... can we say protein overload
too much of a good thing can be BAD!:nono:
setback central... i was just about bsl now i'm back to apl:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
the breakage was horrible... i kept trying to convince myself it was shedding... NOT!!! and then i had to get a trim on top of the breakage:wallbash:

Aw I'm sorry sweetie...1x per week is way too much, even if you're just "root shooting". Thanks for reminding me of:

Henna CAN act like a protein for some even tho it isn't a protein. You should do protein treatments no sooner than 2 wks before or after a henna. Personally I'd go for 1 month+ afterwards as needed.

Aw I'm sorry sweetie...1x per week is way too much, even if you're just "root shooting". Thanks for reminding me of:

Henna CAN act like a protein for some even tho it isn't a protein. You should do protein treatments no sooner than 2 wks before or after a henna. Personally I'd go for 1 month+ afterwards as needed.

So true, I was a protein fool and it was around the same time I had done my 2nd henna/indigo treatment.

I lost a good 2 inches from drying my hair out.:wallbash:

Know that sometimes you (your mama, cousin or BFF) are NOT qualified to do it yourself! Sometimes you may need to let a professional help you out. I personally will not be DIY with cutting or relaxing again as I have proven I am woefully unqualified in those areas.

Wow such a nice thread for a newbie. The info is very good and thorough, but not confusing. Nice job guys! :woot: :woohoo:

As a newbie, I learned that I could not jump right in and use all the products and do everything the more experienced ladies were doing. Following what everyone else was doing just because their hair pics looked good caused me a lot of setbacks in the beginning. I was doing things to my hair that I had no business doing! :nono:

After my setback, I figured out that the best thing for me to do was to research and learn my hair type and learn what typically works for women that have the same hair type. And then based off my research, form a very simple reggie for my hair type and monitor my hair's reaction. That way if something goes wrong, I know exactly what product to avoid instead of having to figure out which one of the 500 products I used is the culprit.

I just want to thank the OP for this thread, awesome...My small tip: Be gentle to your hair!! Especially when combing. I used to rip through mine with a small tooth comb.. Now that I use a paddle/soft Denman my hair is thanking me:yep:

500 Grams!!!?? Maybe if you're floor length! I don't even use the full box once a month.

Check out these measures:
http://www.mehandi.com/shop/african/index.html
2in=100 grams :blush:

Read the indigo measures (henna would be the same in this case for this amount of hair)

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairindigo/index.html

IMHO, these measures are WAY too much for most people even past WL. Remember we're talking 1 lb! There are more economical and less drying ways to get a full henna, 1 step, or 2 step. For most African textured hair, this would be Setback City, IMHO.

You don't need a relaxer. You want one. Knowing that difference will change the way you go about using them (i.e. stretching). May even change your choice to use them at all. No one ever needs to chemically alter their hair. If you keep having setback after setback, that's the first place you should look.

There is no such thing as "going natural". It is "being natural". And yes, it ranges in difficulty for each person because it is hard to break old habits. If you are scared or nervous about "being" natural, really take a long look at yourself and why. Then research, research, research so that when you do you don't end up having setbacks that make you feel like you need to relax your hair. Learn your hair type (by whatever system you choose), learn the techniques, the products... ask questions of the veterans, speak up. Chill on the heat, miracle products, and chasing the elusive "curl". These things can do far more harm than good.

Light auburn on light brown/reddish hair = blonde. UGH. Permanent color IS permanent.

When combing out your locs, don't get frustratred and tug. You will end up ripping off your hair and have uneven patches when you're finally loose. If you dont have the patience, don't do it yourself. It takes hours and hours and hours, but CAN be done.

Before taking supplements and vitamins, be sure that you are fully aware of your health issues and take into account your weight, height, and age. These things play a role in the effectiveness of the pills/powders and/or side effects. A 350 lb woman can't expect the same dosages to work for her that work for a 150lb woman. A 25 y/o woman will metabolize these things differently than a 50 y/o woman.

If you can't get past shoulder length, but constantly wear your hair resting on your shoulders... therein lies your problem.

I haven't read all of the responses, so hopefully my tips have not been mentioned:

1) It takes time and patience to grow hair; there are no short-cuts. In fact, looking for a short-cut may equal looking for a setback.

2) After putting in all the time and hard work necessary to retain considerable length, stay away from people who want to cut your hair if you don't want it cut. It angers me every time I read a thread about someone who trusted a stylist and walked out of the salon with 3-5 inches of their hair on the floor. :mad:

3) Direct heat is not your friend and should be used in moderation...especially if your hair is already chemically-treated. :nono: Personally, I have taken the extreme stance of never planning to use direct heat again, mainly because I'm texlaxed and believe that heat and chemicals don't mix.

Very important point to never forget is if you don't feel like doing your hair DON'T! I have had bad detangling experience on nights where I didn't really feel like doing my hair but I had set that day as a a "wash day". Now if I don't feel like it I just put it put till I do.

Big ditto to the above. My number one rule on wash day is to be honest with myself. If I don't feel like doing it I don't even start. Or a couple times I managed to wash and blow dry, but was too tired to flat iron. So I just had a blow out that week. When you're tired or feeling lazy, that is the absolute last time you should be handling heat or chemicals :lol: One bad day of ripping through your hair or half doing it can cause damage, and your hair will look way worse than if you had just bunned it up for the week.

Sort of related -- if you know you're lazy about certain things, build a regimen that really works for your style/involvement preferences. Don't expect to totally revamp everything you do overnight and be able to stick with it. Easy does it.

Your hair can tell you far more about how to take care of it than anyone on this board ever could. You'll notice in this thread and any other where people are giving tips to newbies or whatever--the one thing that everyone DOES agree on is to listen to your hair :yep:

Thank you so much for this thread. This has really helped me out because at first I changed my regimen based on the opinions of what other people thought were "bad practices" when in reality they weren't damaging to me personally.

From experience I have learned that if there is any lingering doubt about a product or technique: DO NOT PROCEED! I know some people would disagree and say that it never hurts to try, but trust me I now know better than that. Some things are just not worth it.

Also it's good to get to know your hair before you really dive into a regimen. My hair tends to get very dry with frequent washes so daily co-washing is out of the question.

Again, thanks OP (and all the other ladies)!

Definitely break up with your blowdryer. And put curling irons/flat irons on probation. (use sparingly)

There's nothing like a fresh blowout and swangin flat-ironed hair, but that used to be my signature style, and my hair went nowhere. Just SL, all year round.

Now that I only use heat once or twice a month, my hair is sooooo much healthier. And when I do decide to flat iron it, the results are so much better than when I was doing it every other day. :yep:

Also, I have to add: don't be afraid to trim badly split/damaged ends. Sometimes holding on to them will only have your hair looking worse. I RELUCTANTLY parted with about an inch of splits a week ago at the salon. I may not make my December APL goal now, but when I do finally make it, it will be full, healthy APL with fabulous ends.

^^Barbie You're so right!!! I'm not ready to give it all up tho :perplexed:look:

love this thread..i will read every single post but first i will contribute..

Well the reason i am back on this Board in the first place is b/c of a setback..because of LHCF i was able to grow my hair long real fast..and of course i wanted to play w/ it..so i decided to start putting in Texturizers over my relaxers...but the drama started when i wanted to switch back to relaxer..which means my texurized hair got over processed and my hair broke off TERRIBLY...

but only in the front and like the crown mid back area..so it looked like there was a big gap in the back of my head especially since my hair had gotten pretty long..

Then being back on LHCF..i decided to try BKT..since i am now afraid of chemicals but still wanted straight hair..well my hair had been doing better but took a turn for the worse after BKT..it was breaking off and shedding like crazy..maybe it was heat damage from the high heat..i donno..but i was so surprised because i have heard nothing but good things and that it stops and prevents damage..not causes it...

so basically i have had a setback on top of a setback..my head is in really bad shape..just long hair in one corner..and broken off hair in another..i'm too afraid to cut i off..i wanna just grow i out since it sits under a wig n e way..

but please learn from my mistakes..

properly transition..and stick to it..or get a corrective if you wan to go back

and don't jump on every bandwagon..cause to each their own..

Prevention is better than cure-
For people who are susceptible to anemia make sure you check your HB regularly and take regular essential supplements and nutrients. Always investigate excessive hair shedding, find the root cause. Get your ferritin levels checked also because your HB may be within an acceptable range due to compensatory mechanisms but your ferritin levels may be low and you could still be anemic.
Evsbaby

Hair Loss and Anemia
Hair loss often signals a variety of medical problems.

There are three types of anemia concerned with hair loss
Iron deficiency Anemia
The most common form of anemia is iron deficiency anemia. Iron deficiency is believed to be relatively common of telogen effluvium type of hair loss. It is suggested that women in particular are susceptible to iron deficiency due to the regular loss of iron rich blood during menstruation.

Chronic iron deficiency
Symptoms
•Rapid hair loss
•Weight loss
•Pale appearance
•Spoon shaped nails
•Depression
•Change of hair color to a lighter shade
•Excessive dryness of hair
Causes
•Vitamin C deficiency , which can also lead to an iron deficiency
•Heavy consumption of caffeine rich tea and coffee since caffeine reduces the net availability of iron supplied through food.
•Alcohol abuse also reduces the availability of iron in the body .Even slightly low levels of iron can cause diffuse hair loss.
Sources
•Rice, bread, broccoli and beans.
•Vitamin C is required for good absorption.
Anemia due to copper deficiency, known as copper deficiency anemia

Copper besides acting as catalyst in oxidation of hydrogen and the formation of melanin (the pigment that gives hair its color), is also needed to release iron stored in liver, for intestinal absorption of iron into the hemoglobin.

Sources
Mushrooms, grains, nuts, beans.

Pernicious Anemia
Anemia due to deficiency of Vitamin B12, known as Pernicious Anemia This is less common, generally affects people over 40 and results due to Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Symptoms:
•Rapid hair loss
•Weight loss
•Change of hair color
•Dryness of hair
•Sore tongue
•Nosebleeds
•Loss of appetite
•Weight loss and diffuse hair loss
Sources
•Dairy products
•Yeast extracts
Also if you feel that the texture of your hair has changed and if you feel excessive hair fall do consult a Trichologist.
http://www.beautyassist.com/hair_loss.html

Anyone with pernicious anemia needs to do a parasite cleanse. In almost all cases, there are ascaris worms.

One side of my head is going nuts...L-Shaped splits and frizziness. It looks horrible. This, after I flat iron...I thought I was doing everything correctly.

ETA: I think this is the beginning of a setback for me.

GENTLY and PATIENTLY detangle your hair...I have lost soo much hair by ripping it out when detangling while in a hurry or while aggravated...

Braids as growth aids have far less a margin of error than you might think. Not only can they kill your nape and edges, they can simply pull your hair out all over, by the roots. This can end up being permanent hair loss (ie traction alopecia). They must be well cared for and shouldn't stay in too long, esp if you're using extensions in addition to your own hair. If you're using other hair, you MUST research the hair and prepare it before putting it in. It can literally cut your real hair off and/or the chemicals it's treated w/ can cause irritation. Commerical hair, synth or human, is chemically treated...don't forget this.

Under no circumstaces let ANYONE put an open flame near your head.

Braids that are done too tightly are a known hazard. If you find after they're done and "settled" a bit your head is on fire....take them out. You can rebraid them yourself or just call it a day. You spent $$$$$$$ to grow your hair out and let it "rest", so do you really want it literally yanked out of your scalp or your hair being damaged because of something avoidable?

Leaving them in for months w/o disturbing them presents other problems....dreds and matting. If you want to leave them in for an extended amount of time, take them loose and replait them every so often. Matting and dreads will take out far more hair than need happen.

Thanks for this tidbit!!!! I have redone a couple of my braids around the hairline area and the entire patch of hair literally comes out when I detangle or even separate the hair with my hands!!!! Touching up areas in the crown or anywhere in the middle of my head are fine- no breakage, but THEY ARE COMING OUT!!!!

I let a stylist talk me into a "trim" for me a trim was 1 inch, well she cut me back from BSL to shoulder length. My hair wasn't damaged since I wasn't heat styling at all just that 1 time. So to all the newbie's, please show the stylist, show them on your body where you want your hair to be after the trim or cut.

I had a stylist just walk up behind me with scissors ready to cut, and I was just there for the press, and I had a trim by a trusted cheap stylist 2 weeks before-so y ends were fine, she hadn't even looked at my ends, I pointed this out to her, she was just going to cut without asking me, without telling me and by the looks of it she was just going to chop it to half the length right off and go sorry I though you said you wanted a cut or you needed a trim you're ends are raggedy. :rolleyes: that's my fav line stylist tell clients

Good thing I was already getting up. Then make them show you 2 or 3 times before they pick up scissors and start cutting hair like crazy, then going oh that's the cut you wanted. I have this posted in my blog in detail please read it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?b=3317

Last edited:
You don't need a relaxer. You want one. Knowing that difference will change the way you go about using them (i.e. stretching). May even change your choice to use them at all. No one ever needs to chemically alter their hair. If you keep having setback after setback, that's the first place you should look.

There is no such thing as "going natural". It is "being natural". And yes, it ranges in difficulty for each person because it is hard to break old habits. If you are scared or nervous about "being" natural, really take a long look at yourself and why. Then research, research, research so that when you do you don't end up having setbacks that make you feel like you need to relax your hair. Learn your hair type (by whatever system you choose), learn the techniques, the products... ask questions of the veterans, speak up. Chill on the heat, miracle products, and chasing the elusive "curl". These things can do far more harm than good.

Le sigh...there IS such a thing as "going natural". If you haven't dealt w/ your unaltered texture in many years or ever, you MUST learn an entirely new head of hair. To pretend otherwise is denial and a major cause of "setbacks" across the board to the unsuspecting. You simply can't treat natural hair exactly as you did your relaxed hair. Nor can you treat lockd hair as you do loose. It simply doesn't work that way. People who try this learn VERY quickly the true meaning of setback, as we see evidence of daily at this site.

Frankly, why someone is afraid to be natural isn't my business...I don't make windows into people's souls, however I understand that it IS daunting to learn an entirely different head of hair, styling practices, product lineup, etc. Given the immense amount of product, tools, and techniques used and tauted by naturals here and elsewhere, I'd be put off myself if I didn't know better. I know better based on experience and time. Everyone has to learn that way.

I've been natural long enough to know it ain't just as simple as not getting a perm anymore. This is a very complex and personal decision that shouldn't be made because of peer pressure of any sort.

Back