LHCF 'SET BACK' PREVENTION 101

^^^ Protein treatments as a "stop loss" measure is only good for breakage problems that come from some chemical thing gone wrong, IMHO. Let's say you used a perm color and it's breaking, that's what it was created for. It's NOT for shedding!!!!!

On natural hair, weave/braid take downs, and/or after using henna....this is a recipe for disaster. I only recommend protein (Ap. Two Step) for relaxed or color treated in these circumstances.

These things can be used on natural hair BUT not for "stop loss" IMHO.

Breakage and shedding are two diff things.

Naturals , detangling REQUIRES both Time and Patience

be sure you have both and understand it's work but worth it in the big picture. Dont Rush through it , take your time, set aside time, find products that work well for you to detangle with and ALWAYS detangle before washing/rinsing/cowashing

AMEN....trying to do it while wet is asking for breakage. While I don't recommend this to others per se, I always dry comb out my sheds. The more I eliminate BEFORE wetting it, the easier it is when wet. I rarely get tangles anyway given how I wear my hair, but getting rid of sheds is crucial to avoiding them while wet.

A good combs, seamless and preferably a bone comb, makes the whole process of washing and conditioning a breeze.

ladies if you are on any form of Birth control , it depletes your B vitamins

and this could really cause both hair and health problems

Take a balanced B complex daily :yep:

Braids as growth aids have far less a margin of error than you might think. Not only can they kill your nape and edges, they can simply pull your hair out all over, by the roots. This can end up being permanent hair loss (ie traction alopecia). They must be well cared for and shouldn't stay in too long, esp if you're using extensions in addition to your own hair. If you're using other hair, you MUST research the hair and prepare it before putting it in. It can literally cut your real hair off and/or the chemicals it's treated w/ can cause irritation. Commerical hair, synth or human, is chemically treated...don't forget this.

Under no circumstaces let ANYONE put an open flame near your head.

Braids that are done too tightly are a known hazard. If you find after they're done and "settled" a bit your head is on fire....take them out. You can rebraid them yourself or just call it a day. You spent $$$$$$$ to grow your hair out and let it "rest", so do you really want it literally yanked out of your scalp or your hair being damaged because of something avoidable?

Leaving them in for months w/o disturbing them presents other problems....dreds and matting. If you want to leave them in for an extended amount of time, take them loose and replait them every so often. Matting and dreads will take out far more hair than need happen.

Last edited:
I know many people will disagree with me. But put. the. flat. iron. down.

I thought my hair was "thriving" on direct heat. I was rollersetting for the longest time, then stopped and began flat ironing again...and my hair is a mess because of it. I've been having to trim almost monthly, and have lost about four inches this year.

Don't do this to yourself. Please just rollerset your hair, and if you have to use direct heat, use it sparingly.

From my experience- just because you're natural doesn't mean your hair will like oils and moisturizers. My hair likes proteins and reconstructors the same as when I was relaxed. I started using more moisturizers and my hair started thinning and breaking.

Never.Ever.Ever. flat iron your hair when its wet or damp. You will boil your hair! Blowdry on cool or rollerset/wrap with a hood dryer or airdry first. I bought one of those 'wet to dry' flat irons when I first joined:badidea: and ended up with mid-shaft splits :nono: (like the last one in the picture)

I ended up with some splits that were almost 3'' long. I had cut so much of my hair :sad:.

Last edited:
AMEN....trying to do it while wet is asking for breakage. While I don't recommend this to others per se, I always dry comb out my sheds. The more I eliminate BEFORE wetting it, the easier it is when wet. I rarely get tangles anyway given how I wear my hair, but getting rid of sheds is crucial to avoiding them while wet.

A good combs, seamless and preferably a bone comb, makes the whole process of washing and conditioning a breeze.
I on the other hand only detangle wet. So I guess this is a case of finding what works best

the wetness, is usually a conditioner as a detangler, fully detangled with it before my hair hits the water

I do agree with you on getting those sheds out , I do this between doing my hair by finger separating it with oil and pulling out the loose hairs:yep:

oh and I use a K cutter-my hair's life saver :love:

Like someone else said, if your reggie is working, don't switch to someone else's because their hair is BSL/WL...your hair will thrive with your own reggie

Prepoo...if you are an avid protective styler, prepooing is a great way to detangle and save you the heartache from tangles and knots

Heat...using heat is ok if you use in moderation and use it accurately....research in how to properly blowdry, flatiron, etc

Products...I may get a lot of heat for this one but you don't need the most expensive product on the market to make your hair healthy....sometime things in your kitchen will do wonders (mayo and evoo in particular)

Moisturize...this should be done daily...dry hair leads to breakage

Once you reach your hair goals, don't stop caring for it

Never.Ever.Ever. flat iron your hair when its wet or damp. You will boil your hair! Blowdry on cool or rollerset/wrap with a hood dryer or airdry first. I bought one of those 'wet to dry' flat irons when I first joined:badidea: and ended up with mid-shaft splits :nono: I ended up with some splits that were almost 3'' long. I had cut so much of my hair :sad:.
I dont do wet to dry flat iron but I do wet to dry pressing with no issues or damage

Cant speak for those flat irons myself tho......so this is good , all this various info , even if it seems conflicting, it still gives others more information to make a choice , and risky is risky

I do agree that if it's risky its better left alone, I cant promote anyone doing what I do, I can only show it works for me with no problems. I do it to avoid blow drying, which was worse on my hair than the wet to dry presssing

eta , I also rarely press.......so, cant say my technique is totally safe when done frequently at all

Last edited:
Braids as growth aids have far less a margin of error than you might think. Not only can they kill your nape and edges, they can simply pull your hair out all over, by the roots. This can end up being permanent hair loss (ie traction alopecia). They must be well cared for and shouldn't stay in too long, esp if you're using extensions in addition to your own hair. If you're using other hair, you MUST research the hair and prepare it before putting it in. It can literally cut your real hair off and/or the chemicals it's treated w/ can cause irritation. Commerical hair, synth or human, is chemically treated...don't forget this.

Under no circumstaces let ANYONE put an open flame near your head.

Braids that are done too tightly are a known hazard. If you find after they're done and "settled" a bit your head is on fire....take them out. You can rebraid them yourself or just call it a day. You spent $$$$$$$ to grow your hair out and let it "rest", so do you really want it literally yanked out of your scalp or your hair being damaged because of something avoidable?

Leaving them in for months w/o disturbing them presents other problems....dreds and matting. If you want to leave them in for an extended amount of time, take them loose and replait them every so often. Matting and dreads will take out far more hair than need happen.
Under no circumstaces let ANYONE put an open flame near your head. :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

lord the memories!!!

Do what works for you, stop trying to use the board to validate you regimen. Don't change a regimen that is obviously working for you just because certain people on lhcf disagree with it. For example, if "moisturizing" with oil/serum/butters work for you then continue to do that. Don't try to force your hair to like water based moisturizers and you know your hair doesn't like it.

While I agree with the potential damage from direct heat, it is important to know your personal heat tolerance. If you are seeking 400 degree+ irons just to get your hair straight then yeah, you may want to watch it. Just because someone uses heat doesn't make them automatically doomed to heat trained hair,nor are they automatically immune to it. It's all about technique and tolerance. Start with the lowest possible temperature and go from there.Choose a flat iron constructed of the best materials i.e.tourmaline. It may take more heat than your hair can tolerate to get the look you are seeking.

I grew up getting old school presses not constantly, but my beautician was surgical with the pressing comb-had been doing hair since at least the 50s and did my mom,grandmas and great aunt's hair.How many people doing hair today can truly say today they have that kind of experience? She by instinct knew how long to let that comb sit before using it. I never had heat trained hair- it snapped back with shampoo- no straight pieces,ever. My hair is fine, but said to be able to "take heat". Now my paternal grandma did burn a patch of my bangs out once. It turned blonde then disintegrated. All we could do was laugh! :lol: You gotta know your own hair and stay within your hair's personal lane:yep: IMO

While I agree with the potential damage from direct heat, it is important to know your personal heat tolerance. If you are seeking 400 degree+ irons just to get your hair straight then yeah, you may want to watch it. Just because someone uses heat doesn't make them automatically doomed to heat trained hair,nor are they automatically immune to it. It's all about technique and tolerance. Start with the lowest possible temperature and go from there.Choose a flat iron constructed of the best materials i.e.tourmaline. It may take more heat than your hair can tolerate to get the look you are seeking.

I grew up getting old school presses not constantly, but my beautician was surgical with the pressing comb-had been doing hair since at least the 50s and did my mom,grandmas and great aunt's hair.How many people doing hair today can truly say today they have that kind of experience? She by instinct knew how long to let that comb sit before using it. I never had heat trained hair- it snapped back with shampoo- no straight pieces,ever. My hair is fine, but said to be able to "take heat". Now my paternal grandma did burn a patch of my bangs out once. It turned blonde then disintegrated. All we could do was laugh! :lol: You gotta know your own hair and stay within your hair's personal lane:yep: IMO

Very few people under a certain age. :giggle: I always check for a hot comb over a flat iron anyday. At least w/ a hot comb you can control how many heated surfaces touch the hair. Flat irons give heat both directly from below and above. The potential for burning is much higher, IMHO.

Very important point to never forget is if you don't feel like doing your hair DON'T! I have had bad detangling experience on nights where I didn't really feel like doing my hair but I had set that day as a a "wash day". Now if I don't feel like it I just put it put till I do.

Also with the direcr heat, you have to use it sparingly. I don't flat iron durring the week if i start reverting. I just have to deal with it. I work out everyday so if I flat ironed everytime I started to reverts I'd be bald!

Very important point to never forget is if you don't feel like doing your hair DON'T! I have had bad detangling experience on nights where I didn't really feel like doing my hair but I had set that day as a a "wash day". Now if I don't feel like it I just put it put till I do.

Also with the direcr heat, you have to use it sparingly. I don't flat iron durring the week if i start reverting. I just have to deal with it. I work out everyday so if I flat ironed everytime I started to reverts I'd be bald!
I do the same thing, I dont touch my hair to do it from scratch until I am really ready for it

6. If your desparation for long hair makes you buy from tack shops and chemical supply firms....back away from the computer, CC, and Pay Pal. Healthy humans need no such things.
:lachen::lachen:

I admit i did buy some Megatek. I think i used it once and was like whatever if its gonna grow, its gonna grow (was to lazy to apply everynight). I threw a whole bottle away!

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Ladies who are thinking about henna PLEASE use BAQ henna. Had a bad setback with a henna that I thought was BAQ henna because it was a henna made specifically for hair and got great reviews on the board. WRONG move for me...... Long story short I suffered a major setback that took a year to remedy. It was totally uncalled for. I was being cheap and impatient. Always a recipie for disaster.:wallbash:

Now, if I don't find the BAQ henna in the Indian store, I just order it on-line. I guess the bottom line is always use quality products on your hair. That doesn't mean that is has to be expensive, just quality. You're hair is definitely worth it.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Ladies who are thinking about henna PLEASE use BAQ henna. Had a bad setback with a henna that I thought was BAQ henna because it was a henna made specifically for hair and got great reviews on the board. WRONG move for me...... Long story short I suffered a major setback that took a year to remedy. It was totally uncalled for. I was being cheap and impatient. Always a recipie for disaster.:wallbash:

Now, if I don't find the BAQ henna in the Indian store, I just order it on-line. I guess the bottom line is always use quality products on your hair. That doesn't mean that is has to be expensive, just quality. You're hair is definitely worth it.

While I understand what you're saying. so called "BAQ henna" is an online invention. Basically it's pure henna finely sifted which doesn't have to cost $8 for 100grms! When people use the term, they have a tendency to mean henna bought from 1-2 dealers online. That's fine if they wanna spend $$$$, but knowing name brands of good quality stuff you can buy is far more useful info, IMHO.

Search around here and at LongHairCommunity for well known store brands.

In places where henna use is far more common, they simply use the same henna for hair and skin. Many of them don't bother w/ henna "tool" to get clogged. They go free hand w/ tooth picks and the like. Yup, they're bad like that! :grin:

Be messy. :look: If it feels tight, then it's probably pulling your hair out or breaking it. Wear your hair as loosely as possible, every hair does NOT need to be in place.

Simplify. Simplify your products, your regimen, your styling, simplify everything. Makes it much easier to keep up, keep track, and maintain consistency.

Buy a camera. ALWAYS take pictures and ALWAYS document in writing whenever you do something different.

While I understand what you're saying. so called "BAQ henna" is an online invention. Basically it's pure henna finely sifted which doesn't have to cost $8 for 100grms! When people use the term, they have a tendency to mean henna bought from 1-2 dealers online. That's fine if they wanna spend $$$$, but knowing name brands of good quality stuff you can buy is far more useful info, IMHO.

Search around here and at LongHairCommunity for well known store brands.

In places where henna use is far more common, they simply use the same henna for hair and skin. Many of them don't bother w/ henna "tool" to get clogged. They go free hand w/ tooth picks and the like. Yup, they're bad like that! :grin:

And I get what you're saying too. BAQ might be a made up term, but I do believe there is some truth to the meaning behind it. I still buy my henna from an Indian store and it is pretty inexpensive. .99/box. 100g.(jamila) But because of my experience with the other brand, which caused bald spots, I'm a little gun shy of using anything else other than what worked for me. Online henna is expensive I agree, but I never had any problems using it.

Incidentally I did search LHCF and the brand I used that caused the problems was highly recommended. Go figure. :ohwell:

Anyway, this is clearly a to each his own deal. My post was about my setback and using quality not necessarily expensive products. :grin:

^^^^Since it's a setback thread, what brand did you use? You can warn others. I commented merely to say that no such plant exists in nature. It's mostly marketing....w/ sifting, of course!

One of the major issues surrounding these "BAQ henna vendors" is how much henna they recommend for hair lengths. If you use 500 grams on your hair based on their recommendations, don't be surprised if it's a dry mess. After all, 500 grams=1 lb.

Last edited:
Manipulation you have to learn what is the right amount for you. If it's too high, it can lead to breakage, product overload, and tons of other nasties. If too low, it can lead to dreads, tangling, and the resulting breakage that comes from untangling.

Don't texlax your hair from root to tip more than once in a month. I know, it was a very stupid move and literally made me lose a years worth of hair, but I was tryna do a "corrective" and loosen the curl more.

Don't color then relax your hair.

If you have fine strands you cannot, cannot! do what the thick stranded girls can do. Can Not!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That goes with regimens, products, styles. Don't get caught up in bandwagons you read on the forum.

Definitely break up with your blowdryer. And put curling irons/flat irons on probation. (use sparingly)

There's nothing like a fresh blowout and swangin flat-ironed hair, but that used to be my signature style, and my hair went nowhere. Just SL, all year round.

Now that I only use heat once or twice a month, my hair is sooooo much healthier. And when I do decide to flat iron it, the results are so much better than when I was doing it every other day. :yep:

Also, I have to add: don't be afraid to trim badly split/damaged ends. Sometimes holding on to them will only have your hair looking worse. I RELUCTANTLY parted with about an inch of splits a week ago at the salon. I may not make my December APL goal now, but when I do finally make it, it will be full, healthy APL with fabulous ends.

^^^^Since it's a setback thread, what brand did you use? You can warn others. I commented merely to say that no such plant exists in nature. It's mostly marketing....w/ sifting, of course!

One of the major issues surrounding these "BAQ henna vendors" is how much henna they recommend for hair lengths. If you use 500 grams on your hair based on their recommendations, don't be surprised if it's a dry mess. After all, 500 grams=1 lb.

500 Grams!!!?? Maybe if you're floor length! I don't even use the full box once a month.

Anyway, the henna I used that caused my set-back was Rhesma(sp)??? henna for hair. It worked wonders for a lot of ladies, but sucked for me. Maybe it was a bad batch???? Who knows? I won't be using it again. Oh and I don't use lemon juice either. That will cause dryness as well. I just use hot water, olive oil and paprika. My color comes out fine. I guess I should add some pics at some point.

Back