LHCF 'SET BACK' PREVENTION 101

Almost anytime you see the word "fortifying", "strengthening", "reconstruct", "silk", "collagen", and certainly "keratin" you can be quite sure that is a product where protein is a feature. Not all proteins are as "hard" as others.
I did not know this. Had an inkling but im glad I know now.

I read this thread in one sitting. It has def. convinced to take out this "protective style" braids that has thinned my edges (which took me 6 months to grow back from my last braid installation....SETBACK) and has cause bumps in my nape. I was trying to hold on cause my "middle" of my hair is fine, I wanted a break from styling and figured I'll address this issue later. Now, I see that's not in my scalp or hair's best interest...:drunk:

Things I've learned over 8 years of my hair journey:

1) It's okay to like short hair. I originally came to this site because I am obsessed with hair and wanted to grow it long. Along the journey I realized... I love bobs, short cuts (like in my avatar). I think it compliments my personality, face and suits me. Tips I learned here and from Cathy Howse have helped me to maintain healthy "short/med" hair. Maybe one day I'll grow it to longer lengths. I'm actually striving for an even should length bob. (my shero/hair inspiration is Michelle Obama's current style)

2) Going natural: I'm glad I did it although I have completely BC'ed about 7 times in the past 8 years or so (yes, straight cut it all off about 7 times). My hair would be to my waist by now if I just made a decision eitherway. I would grow to like 5-6 inches, would have a relaxer set back, then cut it all off saying I need to be natural anyway lol.

Also, I had a difficult time between the mental challenge of Black pride and trying to have my hair reflect my values with my preference for straight/rollerset styles. I finally realize that though I learned "kink" is not the end of the world and how to have my natural hair flourish-I don't dig twist, cornrows, afros for too long. I really do like rollersets and wraps. So whats best for my hair is learning to have healthy relax hair (although I understand chemically altered hair isn't "healthy"). I do believe in doing whats best for me and my lifestyle and I not longer feel that I am "selling out". So I can wear my nubian prints, attend my african dances classes, and rock a relaxer and I'm okay with that now.

Part B: If you are natural and frustrated, do not run to CVS and get a box perm. I knew my fine medium hair didn't thrive on No lye, but I felt so stressed and need to feel okay with my hair. If you are deciding to change a style (relax to natural, natural to relax, to braid or not braid etc...) Try to wait 24hrs and plan properly. I am now dealing with 2 inches of thinning no lye hair and about 2 inches of stronger LYE hair at the roots. I created this "challenge". I may just sacrifice the "length" to get rid of the frustration.

3) As another said, DIY is not always the best. I have learned that I shouldn't self relax. My hair thrives and does much better when someone else (with experience) applies my relaxer. Out of cheapness and a need for control...If someone messes it up it might as well be me....I have "thinned" out my hair and over processed it. Now I am going to to budget for professional touch-ups, but bring my own lye relaxers.

4) Family stylists are great,but know their limits. My cousin does great weaves, braids, and relaxes HER hair perfectly...but having her relax and "style", i.e. cut my hair, was a disaster. She cut my hair so uneven, I lost 6 months worth of growth after I had to have a professional fix it. Lesson: don't allow people to experiment on your hair because they are good at other things. Play to their strenghts..lol otherwise ask to see proof that they know how to do what your asking. This is really for any stylist, not just the "home" stylist.

5) Despite my above setbacks. I learned that KISS is the best. I have grown my hair from TWAs to about 5-6 inches in a year as well as thickened edges by simply washing twice a week, DC'ing 1x week (alternating protein and mositurizing conditions), rollersetting after every wash or airdrying then pressing with a curling iron (Cathy howse method) once a week. Then, creme moisturizing or spraying UBH Dew 2x day and pin curling at night. No protective styles, and wearing it out every day.

It's only when I get lazy and move from this by using the curling iron too much or stop DC'ing that my hair gets damaged or starts breaking.

My aplogies for the long post. Just wanted to add to this thread. It also was very therapeutic because it helped me realize I have all this knowledge and just need to stick the KISS plan to achieve my hair goals. Sometimes the best choice is the obvious choice.

Ultimate setback lesson: Don't be afraid to LET GO!!! It's just hair, it really will grow back :)

Last edited:
Prevention is better than cure-
For people who are susceptible to anemia make sure you check your HB regularly and take regular essential supplements and nutrients. Always investigate excessive hair shedding, find the root cause. Get your ferritin levels checked also because your HB may be within an acceptable range due to compensatory mechanisms but your ferritin levels may be low and you could still be anemic.
Evsbaby

Hair Loss and Anemia
Hair loss often signals a variety of medical problems.

There are three types of anemia concerned with hair loss
Iron deficiency Anemia
The most common form of anemia is iron deficiency anemia. Iron deficiency is believed to be relatively common of telogen effluvium type of hair loss. It is suggested that women in particular are susceptible to iron deficiency due to the regular loss of iron rich blood during menstruation.

Chronic iron deficiency
Symptoms
•Rapid hair loss
•Weight loss
•Pale appearance
•Spoon shaped nails
•Depression
•Change of hair color to a lighter shade
•Excessive dryness of hair
Causes
•Vitamin C deficiency , which can also lead to an iron deficiency
•Heavy consumption of caffeine rich tea and coffee since caffeine reduces the net availability of iron supplied through food.
•Alcohol abuse also reduces the availability of iron in the body .Even slightly low levels of iron can cause diffuse hair loss.
Sources
•Rice, bread, broccoli and beans.
•Vitamin C is required for good absorption.
Anemia due to copper deficiency, known as copper deficiency anemia

Copper besides acting as catalyst in oxidation of hydrogen and the formation of melanin (the pigment that gives hair its color), is also needed to release iron stored in liver, for intestinal absorption of iron into the hemoglobin.

Sources
Mushrooms, grains, nuts, beans.

Pernicious Anemia
Anemia due to deficiency of Vitamin B12, known as Pernicious Anemia This is less common, generally affects people over 40 and results due to Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Symptoms:
•Rapid hair loss
•Weight loss
•Change of hair color
•Dryness of hair
•Sore tongue
•Nosebleeds
•Loss of appetite
•Weight loss and diffuse hair loss
Sources
•Dairy products
•Yeast extracts
Also if you feel that the texture of your hair has changed and if you feel excessive hair fall do consult a Trichologist.
http://www.beautyassist.com/hair_loss.html
:yep: my most serious setback was caused by this. Ladies take this advice seriously.

when bored with your hair and/or frustrated, or if your going through something stressful in your life , be careful to not take out life and your emotions out on your hair, when feeling that ansy feeling to do something drastic, try to sit it out for as long as you can-most times it passes anyway and you will be glad you did :yep:

will add more here later

Girl preach! I've had two setbacks due to my own decision to cut my hair short when I was on my period. I mean I even shaved one side of my head one time when I was pms'ng.. I cut my hair twice and each time I was going through hormonal changes. If you cut your hair and then two days later regret it, I consider that a self imposed setback. Please ladies be aware of this and what Irresistible and the others have said... it is so true!!!

Hard Water

This was my biggest setback and lost at least 3 to 4 inches. The signs were extremely dry, sticky/velcro hair. I mean, the entire hair strands would be stuck together. You could see and feel the mineral deposits on my hair.

No moisturizer or DC could penetrate thru that stuff. Just think about the hard water stains you see on your sinks and fixtures at home. That stuff was on my hair.

Then I would jump on the bandwagon with Roux Pororsity Control, Vinegar rinse, clarifying all the time (making it drier) and cold water rinse...you name it.

Please do not go for an extremely long period of time trying all of these fixes I mentioned above even if you SUSPECT you have hard water. I have washed my hair for over three years in hard water and I paid for it.

Once i did a Malibu 2000 Crystal Gel Treatment at the salon, my hair TOTALLY thanked me. My hair no longer is tangled, it's much lighter and stays moisturized for days. It has really nice body.

I have HIH syndrome and keep checking and feeling my hair because it doesn't even feel like it's mine.

EDITED: I forgot to add that I no longer have broken hairs all over the sink and floor.

EDITED AGAIN: Before sending anyone off on the wrong path, I had to confirm with the Malibu Wellness folks about clarifying. I didn't want my post to sound like clarifying/chelating poos & PC are not necessary. Those things just would not combat the effects of hard water.

I sent them an email today asking should I just get rid of my Clarifying Poos thinking that the mini makeover regimen they gave me would replace the purpose of the clarifying poo.

Their response:

No, actually and clarifying shampoo is not the same as our vitamin technology. Clarifiers remove resin (styling products) from the hair with a alkaline pH and our vitamin technology (mini makeover) removes minerals, medication and stop oxidation with an acidic pH…so they really do different things. You should only use a clarifier once a week at the most and you can use our vitamin technology as often as you want….if you still have questions just let me know. Hope this helped you better understand the difference between the two.

I do not agree with clarifying once a week though. I believe others on the board would agree with this as well.

I will be buying a shower filter this coming winter. That water was so rough on my family's skin and hair! I don't know what to do about the tub. I don't think I can afford a water softener.

Hard Water

This was my biggest setback and lost at least 3 to 4 inches. The signs were extremely dry, sticky/velcro hair. I mean, the entire hair strands would be stuck together. You could see and feel the mineral deposits on my hair.

No moisturizer or DC could penetrate thru that stuff. Just think about the hard water stains you see on your sinks and fixtures at home. That stuff was on my hair.

Then I would jump on the bandwagon with Roux Pororsity Control, Vinegar rinse, clarifying all the time (making it drier) and cold water rinse...you name it.

Please do not go for an extremely long period of time trying all of these fixes I mentioned above even if you SUSPECT you have hard water. I have washed my hair for over three years in hard water and I paid for it.

Once i did a Malibu 2000 Crystal Gel Treatment at the salon, my hair TOTALLY thanked me. My hair no longer is tangled, it's much lighter and stays moisturized for days. It has really nice body.

I have HIH syndrome and keep checking and feeling my hair because it doesn't even feel like it's mine.

EDITED: I forgot to add that I no longer have broken hairs all over the sink and floor.

EDITED AGAIN: Before sending anyone off on the wrong path, I had to confirm with the Malibu Wellness folks about clarifying. I didn't want my post to sound like clarifying/chelating poos & PC are not necessary. Those things just would not combat the effects of hard water.

I sent them an email today asking should I just get rid of my Clarifying Poos thinking that the mini makeover regimen they gave me would replace the purpose of the clarifying poo.

Their response:

No, actually and clarifying shampoo is not the same as our vitamin technology. Clarifiers remove resin (styling products) from the hair with a alkaline pH and our vitamin technology (mini makeover) removes minerals, medication and stop oxidation with an acidic pH…so they really do different things. You should only use a clarifier once a week at the most and you can use our vitamin technology as often as you want….if you still have questions just let me know. Hope this helped you better understand the difference between the two.

I do not agree with clarifying once a week though. I believe others on the board would agree with this as well.

I agree to the hard water and shampoos. I used everything as well.

Someone already said this, its true! BE REAL with your hair and your direct heat usage. (This is mostly direct to the relaxed ladies since this is from personal experience)

Your hair does not have to look prefect all the time. I repeat! Your hair does not have to look prefect all the time! If the only way you have learn to enjoy your hair is by using direct heat every weekly, bi weekly, then you probably need to find an alternative. So you can either reduce heat usage or stop completely. Once you put down the iron, blow dryer, you'll find alternatives.

This caused me a set back, always wanting silky bouncy flat iron hair, eventually from not trimming and using direct heat, my ends got angry. Now that I got a fresh trim, improved my air drying skills, honestly my hair looks betterand now I can have a waaay more healthier regimen.

Direct heat can promote bad regimens, our a regimen that is not best for YOU. Instead of building a regimen for complete retention, you have to build a regimen around the fact you use direct heat AND retention. Also to persevere straight many deep condition less frequently, skip moisturizing to not weight down hair, totally skip co washing, a lot of manipulation, and more protein (not saying these are we all NEED to do) to try to compensated for the damage that may occur from frequent direct heat, or attempting to prevent damage.

MANY people hair strive from direct heat use, relax or natural but keep in mind, that Afro texture hair is the most driest and fragile hair out there. Our hair isn't made of steel. All the precautionary steps, solution, remedies we learn on here sometimes can NOT prevent the enable. 360 degree, is 360 degree even with Chi infusion. I'm not saying heat damage = set back, but please look at the entire picture and your options.

If you grow your hair out using direct heat frequently consider your self LUCKY!! :)

I can use direct heat, but can only be done on clean hair. I agree with everything you said. I decided to use my spray leave in instead of the creme one. My hair was straighter and lighter. It held up better to humidity. I will go back to using that in the winter. I also use a heat protectant serum. Wrapping my hair nightly too helps preserve my style. I went back to using no lye too. lye was leaving way too much texture that wasn't consistent throughout. I don't have much shedding either anymore.

Schedule a hair goal consultation with a new stylist (free of course). Bring in books, articles, quality products you are using and even growth progress shirts. If they get defensive, don't trust them with your hair. If they seem intrigued, or even impressed at your knowledge about healthy hair care you've got a keeper.

Make sure to tell them your definition of a "dusting". I told a new stylist that I wanted to come to him but even if he didn't agree about the length of time between trims could he handle humoring me on that issue. Be frank. Blunt. And don't be afraid of the smirks and laughter because those reactions are what's going to save your hair in the long run. That's my setback prevention tip.

I've had a few stylists laugh at me about dusting! Lol and laugh about me wanting a consultation. It wasn't normal for them and they felt like I was questioning their expertise.

Lessons learned so far other than keeping your anemia in check:

-get a shower filter. It will keep your hair and skin from getting dried out by chemicals in the water supply.
-Do not detangle wet hair with your denman brush. It ripped my hair out and kept me at the same length for a year and a half. At least remove half the rows if you can't stop using it altogether.
-if you keep having setbacks then go see a doctor. It could be health related.

A note about hair color:

You CAN bleach or color your hair and not end up bald. How?

1: Make sure your hair has no other chemicals in it.
2. Go to a highly recommended professional hair stylist.
3. Don't do any other chemical treatments to your hair at all (don't re-bleach your hair, relax, texturize or perm it) until it's totally grown out. Only your stylist is allowed to do your root touchups.
4. You must practically be an expert at hair care, not a newbie because you need to know how to care for your hair. The protein moisture balance is key.
5. Deep condition like your (hair) life depended on it because it does. :yep:
6. Moisture moisture moisture! Color dries out hair so you must get good at keeping your hair moisturized.
7. Limit heat even more. Color weakens your hair so you must be extra gentle with it.
8. Be extra gentle with your hair. This bears repeating. It's important enough to have it's own bulletpoint. :lol:

Colored hair is high maintenance hair. It's not for the lazy or the faint of heart. If that's the route you choose to take, proceed with caution.

Great bump!

My tip has been stated, but I'll reiterate.

If you try a new product and your hair rejects it, DUMP IT!

When I first joined the board, Aussie conditioner was huge. Everyone seemed to love it as a cowash. My hair hated it. I had so many tangles that I lost a ball of hair by the time I was done. I tried to give it to family members, but they didn't want to touch it after my experience - I told them that their hair could love it.

I threw the bottle away and never looked back.

GREAT BUMP!

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for specific answers to a specific problem.

I joined the board a few years ago; my hair grew long, grew thick, grew fast. I then became ill. I waited A YEAR to see a doctor (a previous male doctor put me off going for 10+ years) ...long story short I lost a good third of my hair through shedding. Maybe 40%.

If I had not been so proud I would have asked my lhcf sisters who had never done me wrong before and would have steered me through that too.

My hair was SHOUTING that there was a problem but I just wasn't trying to hear it.

Great bump!

My tip has been stated, but I'll reiterate.

If you try a new product and your hair rejects it, DUMP IT!

When I first joined the board, Aussie conditioner was huge. Everyone seemed to love it as a cowash. My hair hated it. I had so many tangles that I lost a ball of hair by the time I was done. I tried to give it to family members, but they didn't want to touch it after my experience - I told them that their hair could love it.

I threw the bottle away and never looked back.
So funny I just bought this last week and hated it. I tried it long ago and didn't like but I was like let me revisit. Still made my hair feel gross. No slip nothing. I gotta toss it.

So funny I just bought this last week and hated it. I tried it long ago and didn't like but I was like let me revisit. Still made my hair feel gross. No slip nothing. I gotta toss it.

See! That's what I'm talmbout! :lachen:

Through that stuff out.....NOW! :lol:

Back