Length VS Play... Where do YOU Stand?

Length VS Play Which would you prefer?

• I want the longest hair I can possibly grow! Even if I have to live in protective styles.

Votes: 206 44.3%
  • Not me! I'd rather be able to play with my hair, even if that means it's a little shorter!

Votes: 186 40.0%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 73 15.7%

• Total voters
I voted longest hair possible and constant in PS

why? b/c I plan to have my hair in twists 90% of the time anyways. Twists can be styled into almost any do: bun, french roll, ponytail etc, and when they are getting stale then I wear a twist out and all the other styles (pinned up, puffs, messy buns) that u can do with twist outs.

I'll still be enjoying my hair while protecting it

My hair has a lot of shrinkage so even when I wear it out it's above my shoulder. I don't know when that's going to change. I'm just about bsl now. So in the summer my hair is always out. I don't feel it's damaging because my ends aren't touching anything. In the winter I keep my hair in twists and braids because my hair and cold weather don't do well together. When my hair is straight I wear it down 50% of the time. I don't think I will be a super ps'er because I like seeing my hair out at times. But on occasion and when I'm going through a busy period ps'ing is great.

Im constantly in ps mode. I have set some pretty high goals for myself and my hair seems to thrive when i leave it alone. Until I clear apl, i wont be letting this wig go.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

The older I get, the more hair lazy I become even though I'm trying to acquire more hair. I don't like to spend a whole lot of time on my hair everyday. Twists have been my go to style for the longest time now. Aside from re-twisting, I can do anything I want to do to my hair in 10 minutes or less.

When I get to my goal length, I might wear it out more.

I don't believe that I have to protective style to grow long hair. I figure that it's going to do what it's going to do how it wants to do it. My hair grows up and out and shrinks like a slinky so my personal hair needs may differ from others in that regard. I come from a family of people that can grow long hair on both sides and they did it without hiding their hair, or protective styling on the regular.

Different strokes for different folks I guess?

If my strands were not as thick as they are I would probably protective style often. Luckily my strands are like rope. lol.

I am lazy so I find myself putting my hair up most of the time anyway, but I draw the line at wigs and weaves--I thought excessive use of those is harmful to your scalp anyway.

That being said, when I do feel like doing something to my hair, I definitely like to wear it down and show off the length. Doesn't happen too often because of the hot sticky weather down here, but it is nice to get the looks (even the side-eyes from jealous folks) when I show off the fruits of my hard work. :grin:

I would rather have the longest hair possible and wear protective styles 95% of the time.

My hair has never been in this healthy of a state and 100% of the time I wear it in a big hair claw clip if it is flat ironed and 95% of the time in twists if it is curly.

Matter of fact I went to pick up my boys from daycare and usually I stand around and talk to the ladies there while the children play outside.

Today one of the ladies there commented on how much hair I had as if I had it out and just flowing.

It was up in a loose style claw clip and my hair is an inch and a half from BSL.

I definitely prefer length over play. I've gotten so used to PS like buns and wearing my hair up in a clip, that I don't even like the sensation of hot hair on my neck or shoulders. In could weather, that is no issue. But I live in the hot, humid south.

Wearing this humidity-prone hair down is a no-no. I don't like the fro look on me because I have a round face (and poofy fro-like styles, as well as styles shorter than my neck make my face look fat--they are not flattering on me).

Therefore, my hair had either be worn straigtened and down, or will have to get really long in its curly state to keep it from shrinking up to my neck and shoulders. I will be happy when my hair is WL curly and shrunken. :yep: It's getting there. I'm already past SL, coming up on BSL curly/damp/unstretched. That WL curly means thigh length straight since I have about 50-60% shrinkage.

I want to grow the longest hair I can. I love my buns because I'm busy and don't have time to make sure my hair is right when it's out. Fortunately, my hair is growing downward, and NOT outward into a fro. That is what I had hoped it would do when I grew out some from my BC.

I have grown my hair while relaxed to almost WL (long MBL) without consistent PS'ing, so I KNOW I can go far and beyond that with natural hair and PS'ing pretty much 100% of the time, since there are no caustic chemicals being applied, and no heat. :grin:

greenandchic

I too have chronic illness issues, I have chronic fatigue, and I'm anemic and so I keep my hair up in a bun. Also have a 3 yo running round too, so the only swangin hair going on 'round here is likely a wig or weave on occasion! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm usually in a PS due to my workout schedule, the weather, travel, chronic illness issues, or just laziness so having the longest hair is A-OK for me.

Either way I want the length!

The play. Every day, all day. I'd rather reach a goal the way I want to-and while having fun with my natural hair out-rather than PS so often. Another thing is protective styles just haven't proved to look good on me at all with only my hair (i.e. twists make me look juvenil and I already look younger in the face) :nono: -and I refuse to wear weaves/extensions.

The play. Every day, all day. I'd rather reach a goal the way I want to-and while having fun with my natural hair out-rather than PS so often. Another thing is protective styles just haven't proved to look good on me at all with only my hair (i.e. twists make me look juvenil and I already look younger in the face) :nono: -and I refuse to wear weaves/extensions.

I hear you on that one. I need to be creative with PSing because twists don't work for me (may have to let my hair grow out more) and I'm not weaving it up...

I
And that may not make sense to some people, but personally, I'm not concerned with enjoying my hair now. It's not like there's very much to enjoy anyway.
This is how I feel about my hair right now.
It's not long enough for me to wear out and enjoy without manipulating it everyday. It's not that manipulation is simply counterproductive, it's TIME CONSUMING. Half the time that I put my hair in twists and braids and extensions is mainly because I get sick and tired of doing my hair everyday. I wanna be able to get up and go, and PSes offer me that sort of flexibility. Then when I take my hair out, I see growth + have a new appreciation for my natural locks. It's a win-win, as far as I'm concerned. Until my hair is long enough to bun and put into 4 braids at night and look decent in the morning, u ain't gonna see me wearing it out for weeks at a time anymore.

I'm psing as we speak lol! No problemo! I'm wl on my way to hip(when I get there I'll ps half the time or 1/4 the time and kim). I know the power of the ps so I'm willing to commit to it to get there faster.

Last night decided to enjoy my hair and wear mainly twist outs or ps with twist out hair. Like another poster said, i just look so juvenille with all protective styles and to be honest it's getting me down. I just look a mess as my hair frizzes in plaits or twists within 24hrs and so i have to re-do very often. My twist outs
however look so smooth and lush and i do minimum manipulation at night to keep it neat. Sealing with Castor Oil is all
my hair needs.

I hate bunning (I feel boring) but I actually LOVE wigs and weaves.....and i proudly admit that I'm wearing one whenever i get compliments on my "hair" :look:

I think it's because I know what I'm working with underneath, so I don't have to feel embarrassed or inadequate for wearing hair. I do it for fun and versatility while protecting what I've got.

I think even as i reach my length goals, i will continue to weave or wig it up for maybe 6 out of every 12 months, a la Angela Simmons. It just makes like easier, lets you work out and be active, and cuts down on "hair-doing" time :yep:

I voted other. I am not a hard core protective styler. But neither am I big on playing in my hair. When I got my bc two years ago, I didn't have enough hair to worry about protecting. I was a true wash-n-goer.

However, as soon as my hair got some length I started twisting and pinning up my hair simply because I thought that was what I was *supposed* to do. And when it was long enough to bun, I did that. The problem was that when I did attempt to wear my hair out I didn't know what to do with it. I would inevitably end up frustrated and I'd experience a major (in my head) setback.

Then I'd tell myself "Never again. I'm gonna ps FOR-E-VER!" Aaand of course the same thing would happen. The last time this happened was in August of this year. I ended up cutting off about 3 inches. I vowed that would be the last time I did anything more than just dust/trim as needed. I also decided to stop doing things to my hair just because other people say it is necessary.

Since then I have tried to keep a low-manipulation regimen. I avoid styles that take more than 20 minutes to do. Why? Because I have a short attention span and I start getting frustrated at around that time. For me, frustration leads to set backs. This means I stay away from doing a head full of twists, braids etc.

Pretty much I just wear my hair in a wash-n-go either with or without product. I'll wear it down until it stops looking the way I want it to and then I re-do it if I'm not feeling lazy. Otherwise, I put it in a puff or bun.
I can already tell this regimen (along with my vitamins) has worked for me because in the past month I have gained the full "average" 1 inch. I don't know if I will get an inch *every* month, but I'm going to continue this and see what happens!

(btw: I'm only CBL right now. I have about 4-5" to go to get to APL so no matter what I do it will take at least 4-5 months to get there. I'm fine with it taking a little longer than that, but if I feel that my growth is being hindered then I have no problem trying out a more strict ps regimen.)

A total of 4 people today (2 of which i see regularly on my commute to work) commented on how 'well i looked today'! Its because i'm not wearing those fuzzy, awful looking twists with a headband plonked on top.
I was wearing my twist-out.
It's gonna def be play for me.

Last edited:
im all about play. i need a fresh hair style every few days.:yep:

i feel like i have more styling freedom than i did before(more length+ hair that is more easily manipulated) and i enjoy doing my hair and my hair aways being "done". when i hated doing my hair i was satisfied with wearing a bun 24/7 just because i didnt have to deal with it.

i am not a fan of most PS and i dont like fake hair on a regular basis. also i am not really focused on growth. i am satisfied with the current length and really just want thickness.

Currently, I am about length. I ps 95% of the time and I don't mind at all. Once I obtain the length I desire, I will wear it out more often. Howver ps is no problem for me.

I'm all about protective styles. I've done the play thing when I was relaxed and on my healthy hair journey and I got 3 inches in 2 years. nowhere fast.

Now as a natural thats not an option, apl in 2 years is my goal.
I love to touch my hair too much, I'd rather do that every couple of months and get great growth than play in it all day. Ill play in my crochet, braid, kinky twist, half wig.

The ends on my kanekalon crochet.set are chewed up so bad. Lol

Sent from my LG-P999 using LG-P999

Well the way i see it now is that i leave the house at about 0830 and return home about 1730 and put my hair away. That's just 9 hours of play a day! :grin:

hmm... I wish I could say play but I have been PSing almost nonstop since July so...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

When I first saw this topic I knew I was gonna pick "play". But after reading some of the posts, i picked other. I am currently at APL stretched and I am having a bit of hair anorexia, lol. I just had to get a good amount trimmed off and I will be PSing as much as I can this winter. I plan on using wigs, weaves and buns until my next trim at the beginning of spring (hope I last that long) My ultimate goal is full MBL, so I'm willing to put in the work to get there, but I do like wearing my hair out so if it takes it little longer because of that, then so be it.:yep:

I PS five days a week. However my job requires me to have it up (waitress) so its a no brainer. I'm not sure what I'll do when I have a different job but long healthy hair is my goal.

sent from my EVO 3d y'all!

From Wanakee's "Practical Guide for Hair Care":

"Some women have asked us, "What is the point of having long hair if you have to wear it up?" The point of wearing it up is to have long hair. Once a young lady asked, "About how long would it take for me to grow my hair really long?" We told her it would take about 4 years with regular trimmings. She said, "Four years? I’ll be 34 years old in four years, that’s too much time!" We had to remind her that she was going to be 34 years old in four years anyway; might as well get there having fabulous hair."

And to put her results in perspective:
WanakeeBantuKnots-vi.jpg

So having said that, I don't mind designating a certain amount of time for PSing so that I can play later. But best believe I will always be PSing even when I come out to play ... :look:

The great thing is now I have found some wonderful lace fronts that allow me to have a little play...

I tend to PS with wigs/weaves more in the winter/spring. But will typically PS with wigs/weave/phony pony outside of the house to maintain a look. This upcoming year, I'm trying to PS all year and cover my hair when alone in the apt. I have to be at least grazing BSL by Dec 2012.

But, even then, I love PS like updos and buns. It's the main reason I'm growing my hair out.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

I wear my hair down most of the time in a wash n go...for me thats a protective style...I bun only out of laziness not as a desire to PS...so I chose other...Now if I didnt retain length with my hair down..then IDK..maybe I'd PS more..

Back