Length VS Play... Where do YOU Stand?

Length VS Play Which would you prefer?

• I want the longest hair I can possibly grow! Even if I have to live in protective styles.

Votes: 206 44.3%
  • Not me! I'd rather be able to play with my hair, even if that means it's a little shorter!

Votes: 186 40.0%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 73 15.7%

• Total voters
Play. (I say this because I've already developed a regimen suited for it and it's even better than the one that I used to use for length/protective styling; ie. bunning.)

I used to experience breakage when I would CONSTANTLY leave my hair in buns when I was NL, CBL, and SL. So why all the breakage with my hair not being as long as I want and I'm not getting to leave it out anyway? That's when I started leaving it out and to be honest it's better that way for me because my nape, edges, and ends get to lie down more naturally. Also since I'm good at trying to keep a M/P balance I don't find my ends breaking if they're rubbing against my clothing.

It all depends on what works for you and what your hair can handle along with your regimen. I do think some people don't give their hair a chance to see the limits that it can undergo due to fear of breaking off even a mm of length but maybe some people do leave their hair in protective styles 80% of the time because they already know what their hair likes, dislikes, and what it can take.
Like I said, it all depends on what the hair can handle, people who leave their hair in protective styles probably know their hair can't stand a whole lot of "play" or just REALLY like protective styling and the length and retention of their own hair is an added bonus.

I like a nice combination of both. I LOVE having my hair out in cute styles but my lifestyle requires simplicity on many days. I want my hair to grow to a certain length so that when I finally bc my hair will still be long enough to pull into a bun, other than that I am so not obessed with length.

Last edited:
I am anti-protective style and never do ps' on purpose. I only (accidentally) wear them for the style. Definitely never a bun or anything like that. I don't like the way most ps look. It sounds like another trap, as if black women cannot grow their hair unless they hide it away and never wear their hair. It seems to be born of the same idea as we "have to relax" or have to wear straight hair to look good. So the next best thing is to hide the hair altogether. People of any other race can wear their hair out and grow hair down to their waist and so can we!

I think your opinion is interesting. I can see that being true for some people who constantly wear their hair in extensions and such. But I wear protective styles and wear my hair out at the same time. I wear cornrows into a bun religiously as my staple style because its simple, and I think elegant-looking. Twists were also a fav of mind for a while which I wore down always. And I've done my famous puff or a WNG in between. They are nice styles that only "our" type of hair can really pull off. Its not hiding it at all, IMO. Isn't protective styles no different from a white woman bunning her hair? It both protects and gives it a needed break to keep it strong, plus its easy and low-maintenance.

I only recently started wearing wigs for fun and to see if I can give my hair a rest and grow it out (I did get very bored with it after 5 yrs of being natural). Not to hide my hair, but just so I wouldn't have to do it too much. I don't wear wigs that I cannot do the same styles on my own hair and never wigs that don't look like my natural hair (I am purely natural and I only have 2 half wigs anyway that look just like my hair).

But to the OP's question: I chose other because I'm in between. I do what I feel at the moment usually and oscillate between both. Sometimes I wanna play and wear my big fluffy "crown" with flowers and such and sometimes I just can't be bothered for weeks at a time. I think its growing both ways pretty much equally. It would be cool if my hair grew to waste length but I'm happy at the length it is too.

I hate protective styles on me. From grade school all the way up to high school I ALWAYS had my hair down, no matter how crazy it looked. I don't feel attractive when I wear protective hairstyles. I noticed since my hair journey started two years ago I have been looking like a hot mess, because I feel like if my hair doesn't look good, than I don't feel the need to dress up. When I go natural I'm going to wear my hair out more often, and wear protective styles when it rains or something. I keep thinking to myself I'm in my 20's, these are my fly years, I can't be walking around in a bun all the time. Whats the point of having nice long hair if no one is able to see it?

Since the beginning of my hair journey, I've always worn my hair down. When I wear it up, it's because I want to, and not necessarily to protect it.

Now, I do avoid obvious dangers to my hair, like I put it up if I'm wearing a wool jacket or turtleneck sweater. Otherwise I really enjoy my hair.:grin:

I live in protective styles and my hair is shoulder length. I think it would be the same if it were longer.

I'm gonna choose length. I've worn my hair out 2 days this year so far and I'm ok with that, mainly because I'm too lazy to really "do" my hair on the regular anyway. Before LHCF, my main hairstyle was a ponytail. I hated that but, it was really convenient. So, to switch to a bun is oh too easy for me.

AND, wearing my hair out usually means some sort of heat and going without heat and taking care of my ends have caused me to have the healthiest hair I've ever had. And seeing it grow so fast and being able to retain it? Wow!

Now, please don't get me wrong. When I've grown my hair out to my goal length, I will wear it out more but, I think I'm always going to be conscious of my ends. It's just an obsession now.

And finally, I'm personally challenging myself to see how long I can get it. That alone will keep me in ps through the rest of this year.

I've become enlightened today. I've been so focused on the length that even though I do wear my hair down quite a bit I haven't been enjoying it! So I am def. gonna focus on styling and playing. My hair has grown in the past wearing it down constantly and it will grow now wearing my hair down constantly.

I would PS to get over humps like going from SL to APL. Other than that. No, not at all. My hair retains length just fine without it.

Part of the reason I started my hair journey in Nov 2009 was because I wanted more hair to play with. That's gonna take some sacrifice. I started at about SL and hope to get to full MBL. Anything longer will just be a bonus. So, I'm willing to protective style the majority of the time until i'm full BSL and then wear more "out" styles that are still low manipulation (twist outs, braid outs). I just felt like I really didn't want to get stuck at SL or APL. If I'm stuck at BSL, which is long anyway then I'll know I need to ps my way to MBL.

Also, ps get easier and you have more options as your hair gets longer. I've gotten a good 4 inches since Nov and have been able to add new protec. styles which keeps me from getting bored. I don't think I could do the weave or extensions 'cause I'd miss my hair too much.

I don't mind wearing protective styles because they work for me. They're never boring or dull, and I'm always switching it up.

I'm at MBL, and I've found myself still voluntarily pulling my hair back in a bun, or in a ponytail. It's just easier for me.

^^Ediese I'm trying to comment on your blog but I can't anyway! Here's the comment I left!

Omg! I love this! I'm in the same boat! 2 cc's. BOA over balance also. Bill me later is only 212. I'm really trying to pay my debts off by the end of 2011. My spending is over the top and I can't stop but I'm trying really hard. BTW this is chelleypie from LHCF!

Play :)

Although, to be fair, I do love a cute ponytail--so that's what I wear most of the time anyway. It's not super protective since the ends are exposed, but it's out of the way.

I don't have to "hide" my hair for ps. I just twist and sometimes style them. If I didn't do ps, I would go insane. I'm hair lazy and busy at the same time. College gives me no time to "play" with anything:sad:.

I put "other" because I like the convenience of PS (especially because I am transitioning and don't always want to mess with the two textures) but I think I will keep my hair in a PS a majority of the time until I get to my goal length. I think it's just convenient to not have to really mess with it and to retain as much length as possible, and I have found that it really does maintain my ends. Once I get to MBL, however, it's on! I will probably PS every now and then for sake of convenience. (This may change, however, when I BC because I know I am going to want to play in my newly natural hair, but in theory, I will only do that for a few months or so and then PS a majority of the time until I get to my goal).

I'll play when I get length. I also like my hair pulled backed, in ponys and buns. Even when I reach my goal I anticipate wearing it up often.

I'd also like that add that having very long hair like waist length and definitely hip length and longer can be uncomfortable. When I wore my hair straight like in my avatar, I had to be careful doing simple things like using the bathroom, washing my hands, and even sitting back in a chair. I know this is TMI but who really wants to get feces, urine, and dirty water in their hair, lol?! I've also had bugs get caught in my hair too.

I frequent the Long Hair Community and many of the ladies with waist length or longer hair wear their hair up for convenience. Having hair that's constantly getting caught in things, etc. can be pretty uncomfortable at times.

You make an excellent point here. No one ever really talks about disgusting things like that possibly getting into your hair.

I chose other....only because when i started my hair journey i was DETERMINED...like an ant trying to push a chocolate chip back home:laugh:....to be MBL or WL and i knew the only way i was gonna get there was by protecting my ends as much as possible and keeping my hair clean and moisturized...to get there in the timeframe i desired.

Now that i'm just about done growing out my hair....i now know how to safely play with it. I can get curls without heat...i can make a straight style last as long as i want.

I never wear weave or wigs...they all look bad on me so i had no choice this whole time but to learn how to not only care for...but DO my hair. And i don't have to depend on a hair stylist anymore to get results i already know how to get....in fact i'm on a bun/updo craze right now!! :grin:

Last edited:
i hate hate hate protective styles. every now and then i get in the mood for twists. but i get antsy and take them out anywhere between 3 days to a week. i can never leave protective styles in long enough for them do actually protect lol.
when i was relaxed i only protective styled(wet buns) like 3 days out of a week only during the summer. the rest of the time my hair was flat ironed once a week and worn down.

now that im natural i wear a puff/w&g and co wash daily. yes i want my hair to grow much longer than where i am now but ive always had kinda long hair so thats what im used to lol. i refuse to rock wigs or weaves constantly. and thats being nice because even though ive thought about wearing a weave or wig ive never actually done it.

so in short, i'd rather wear my hair out every single day and stay at sl than to have mbl under a wig and no one ever sees it.

I have worn my hair in a wash and go twice and regretted it both times. It is not worth the effort of detangling.

I live in twists...live in them and I don't think that will ever change.
I love twists.
I wear them up most of the time as a protective style and to get them off my face and body. Hair in my face drives me batty.

I personally do no like wigs or weaves. They look too fake to me and I think we as a people are too dependent on them.

Anyhoo, I believe in protective styling and that it does make a difference in retention.
Weird thing is the only person who has listened to me is an Anglo co-worker who was saying that her hair grows to a certain point and then stopped. I explained the philosophy of protective styling. It made sense to her so she started wearing her hair up. Her hair has gained an incredible amount of length. She's in 7th heaven. Honey, when she does wear it down, she's swinging it and strutting. You can't tell her nothing!

If you are having retention issues, protective styling is the way to go.
Just one person's opinion.

I PS almost 24/7, and not even necessarily for length but mostly because I am a 4b natural and I dont really know how else I"m supposed to wear my hair. Puffs give me SSK's wash and goes are 'spend a whole day detangling' city (plus they look stupid), and my hair is too awkward of a length to really to look good in any kind of twistout or braidout or curlform set (or maybe I haven't mastered this, I dont know)

One thing consistently looks decent though: pinned up hair. I like that I can go to school, hair pinned up, it looks the same all day. When I have my hair out, it transforms by the hour depending on the humidity and I find myself running to the mirror every 3 seconds. Maybe if I had straight hair that was more predictable, I would be fiending to wear my hair out all the time, but right now thats kind of impossible.

Plus my hair is very fine. I think that while its all well and good to yell 'other races wear their hair out all the time and its down to their waist so we can to!' is nice but inaccurate. Our hair is the most fragile, that's just how it is. (getoverit,lol) Maybe some people can have their hair out 24/7 and retain length, but for me and most people I see around me, PSing leads to the best results. So i'll stay on this until I reach my goal.

And then, I feel like for people who want to achieve longer lengths (WL+) protective styling is inevitable. In today's world, it's just impractical to wear long hair down everyday. It can get caught in car doors, elevator doors, people will grab it, try to cut it, try to burn it, your SO or DH will roll over it in the night, it'll fall into your eyes, it'll get tangled in your purse strap or get caught in your armpit...there are a million and one things that can happen to long hair out there. So eventually, most people will have to make peace with PS's for the sake of their own sanity. It's just a matter of when. :assimilat

ITA...I used to hate PS styles too, but they just are the most practical thing to do when your hair gets to be a certain length. However, I do plan to wear it down more when I reach my goal.

For me, my #1 protective style are buns--and do actually like my bun. I've (for the summer) found my middle ground by wearing buns during the week, and then letting my hair down Fri-Sun. This works for me because 1) I don't do much during the week, socially, and 2) I'm not having to "do" too much to my hair either---I have a toddler. haha Plus, I've grown to like the idea that the hair comes out for a reason, you know, like it's my "glory" and it's not always on display or for just everyone to see, unless something significant (I'm out on the town, for ex.) is going on. I can tell my hubby gets a little excited when I bring it out because of this. hehe

My sentiments, exactly. I enjoy the times when I literally "let my hair down" because it usually is for a special occassion or on a weekend. And I agree with you; my SO loves it. :-)

i love PS..esp with half wigs..plus my hair is high maintenance when loose and im lazy most of the time..but when i get the urge to "play" with my hair..i do

To be honest, I don't particularly want super long hair anyway. I get to APL and I'll be in heaven :D. Though, getting from SL to APL isn't proving rather long and difficult, so I'ma keep up with the PS for now :yep:

hmmm loved this thread...was reading it the other day but no chance to comment...
ANYWHOOOO
I picked the 2nd..wanna be able to wear my hair even it it means, its a bit shorter...
HOWEVER, since I'm sooo hair lazy it's in a bun 6 outta 7 days and lately, 7 outta 7 days. I wore a wash n g about a week ago..and couldn't enjoy it because while it was wet, it was past my shoulders and as it drys it scrunches up...the WHOLE time it was drying i was paranoid about it touching my shoulders and couldn't wait for it to shrink up...in my mind, it was like..what the HECK is wrong with you woman!?!?!? WHY are you growing your hair out if you're gonna freak out when hair touches your shoulder!?!?!??!
From that time on...been in a bun...sighhhhhhh.
My goal now is to find some styles that don't freak me out until I reach APL, otherwise..my answer might switch to number 1.

I am in a protective stlye now. I wear weaves to protect my hair but it also allows me to experiment and do things I now know better than to do to my natural hair. I wanna enjoy my hair but right now Im transitioning when I am all natural the weave will come out. I wanna be able to enjoy my hair and will sacrifice a litte length if I need to. Im not looking to attain tailbone length anyway I would just like my hair to be either full bsb or mbl in a curly state.

Last edited:
Well I wear my hair down just as much as I bun it. So it's like 50/50. I don't wear weaves or braids or anything. My dh loves for me to wear it out, so pretty much every weekend my hair is roller set. When I'm with him I don't have to do much so my hair doesn't get in the way. If I'm by myself with the kids or have errands to run I throw it in a pony or bun so it doesn't get caught on stuff.

I remember having my hair down and I was getting in the car, I slammed my hair in the door. Yes it hurt like hell. Dh always opens doors for me so with him I'm less likely to hurt myself lol.

Back