Length VS Play... Where do YOU Stand?

Length VS Play Which would you prefer?

• I want the longest hair I can possibly grow! Even if I have to live in protective styles.

Votes: 206 44.3%
  • Not me! I'd rather be able to play with my hair, even if that means it's a little shorter!

Votes: 186 40.0%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 73 15.7%

• Total voters
I am I the middle on this one. Right now I'm playing!! I gotta let my big hair breathe and be free. Im 4b (natural) so my shrinkage is a protective style in itself. Right now I'm rocking a big bun with a headband. Friday Im getting a Dominican blowout :)

I played for the last weeks and LOVED every bit of it. Now its summer, I am going for length. Then fall, I will be back to play. Since I am not going for a huge length goal, I think I can afford to go back and forth between the two, and I LOVE it! As long as I stay within my final goal of APLish, Im happy:yep:

Personally I want the longest length that I can maintain. Judging by my hair, I know I can grow my hair really long if I wanted to. But I maintain a fairly busy lifestyle right now (pre-med college student) and I don't want to spend all day doing my hair. I don't do protective styles (my 4a/3c hair has enough shrinkage that a wash and go becomes a protective style itself at the moment). I also don't care to play with hair styles (a simple puff works for me).

I want the longest hair that I can maintain, I am midback(ish) stretched and I think mid back curly will be a good final length for me...I am natural and 5'2 on a good day and I do not not want to be drowning in hair lol

I voted before on this poll, but I can't remember when. Still, I want the longest hair possible for me even if I have to PS until I get to the length I'm satisfied with. Right now I don't know when that will be. So I'm willing to grow it indefinitely and I'm not worried about playing anyway because it's often too much hassle for me to wear my hair down anyway. I prefer updo's and buns but I want my hair LONG LONG LONG.

Even Indian women and women from Islamic countries mostly wear their hair up and/or covered (unless inside the bedroom or taking it down to cleanse and condition) But they grow it super long. I just prefer long hair on me regardless. I don't ever see cutting it again.

^I'm 5'2 as well but if mine grows to the floor, so be it. All humans are inherently capable of growing very long hair, longer than 40". Of course, other factors play a role like health, meds, environment, care, diet, etc. I don't buy that genetics crap. Because based on my genes, (if i look at other women in my fam) I should have hair no longer than neck length! Many things can extend or shorten the growing phase, so I just don't buy the genetics argument when it comes to how long it will grow. Actually strand thickness? Yeah (fine, medium, coarse). But not growing phase.

Last edited:
Play.

I've never found hair longer than say BSB appealing. I wouldn't know what/how to deal with hair that long and IMO it stops looking healthy the longer it gets.

For me BSB length or maybe APL would be a total length look to have some good length and play with. I know my hair and it would be that odd looking "V" with me stretching very tiny and wispy pieces to claim a longer length.

Pass.

I just want hair long enough to be completely versatile but still manageable for me and to play with and enjoy my head and look. Like my avi picture. My ideal length and thickness.

Didn't know all hair longer than BSB looks unhealthy. Why are you on a LONG hair care forum if that is what you think? Not being snarky, just seriously asking!

I came in here to comment and vote but found that I commented back on page 2 and already votes. Turns out I still feel the same way lol. Other will remain my answer. I prefer my protective styles just because I dont feel like messing with it or out of habit I guess. But wearing it out and down for special occasions are nice and a real treat to your self to see what you've been working so hard for.

I want the longer hair possible and believe it can be obtained with wearing it out as well. Just keep it moisturize and be careful while handling your hair. I refuse to live in protective styles for majority of my life. I have my hair pinned in now because I'm being lazy. Normally I do braidouts and curls. I would rather mostly do low manipulation styles

Play when I can, and when it's time to work protective style. Protective styling is actually just plain easier on me.

Back