JOICO!!!

Roux porosity control wasn't that great imo, not if the porosity issue is due to chemicals. Any basic joico conditioner (or Paul Mitchell The Rinse) is better (their pH is lower). I suggest you try something else before you purchase cuticle sealer, but good luck either way.

I currently use the Joico moisture recovery daily conditioner but my hair is still feeling coarse, dry, brittle, frizzy and it dries really easily but the weird part is that it is only the hair on my left side. It has been like this for awhile so I am thinking that I have porosity issues on one side of my head if that is at all possible. :perplexed

No conditioners I have tried so far including the Joico moisture recovery has helped with this particular patch of my hair which is why I was going to give the cuticle sealer a try. I am 4B relaxed BTW.

Is there a particular reason why you suggest that I try something else before purchasing the cuticle sealer?

Thanks again!!!!!

Last edited:
I love the Joico Moisture Recovery and the KPack Hydrator.
BTW Joico is on sale Buy one get on 50% off at Trade Secret.

FORREAL????? I just walked by today and didn't go in because I was in a rush. I caught a Joico box set at the post Christmas sale...

but now I want the Kpak Hydrator and the rest of the Moisture Recovery line... my hair just loves it so much...

I notice my shedding, breakage... ANY hairs falling from my head in absolutely any state is just about zip with the moisture recovery shampoo and condish, like it was when I still used my shikakai bar (stopped to give my hair a protein break)... tried going back to my HV and Shescentit this weekend and my hair said nooooooooooooope. Shedding and everything like crazy... so I won't be trying that again for a while. :nono:

I currently use the Joico moisture recovery daily conditioner but my hair is still feeling coarse, dry, brittle, frizzy and it dries really easily but the weird part is that it is only the hair on my left side. It has been like this for awhile so I am thinking that I have porosity issues on one side of my head if that is at all possible. :perplexed

No conditioners I have tried so far including the Joico moisture recovery has helped with this particular patch of my hair which is why I was going to give the cuticle sealer a try. I am 4B relaxed BTW.

Is there a particular reason why you suggest that I try something else before purchasing the cuticle sealer?

Thanks again!!!!!

Oh ok. I said that because it is very common on this board for people to read descriptions about products and not know much about their issue--for example, ppl who have breakage and go straight for an Aphogee 2-step protein without objectively assessing why they have breakage :look:--so I am reluctant to review "professional" products. I have to remember that not everyone on here is as obsessed w/product background and knowledge as I. Some folks just want results "by any means necessary". :ohwell:

That is quite an interesting situation you've got there...based on what you just described, if it were me, I'd use the cuticle sealer. But I'd still want to know what caused it, so after searching the board and reading Sistaslick's AC articles on porosity, I'd use this as a last resort, which is what I guess your doing...:)

Take care. Let me know how it goes. :up:

Oh ok. I said that because it is very common on this board for people to read descriptions about products and not know much about their issue--for example, ppl who have breakage and go straight for an Aphogee 2-step protein without objectively assessing why they have breakage :look:--so I am reluctant to review "professional" products. I have to remember that not everyone on here is as obsessed w/product background and knowledge as I. Some folks just want results "by any means necessary". :ohwell:

That is quite an interesting situation you've got there...based on what you just described, if it were me, I'd use the cuticle sealer. But I'd still want to know what caused it, so after searching the board and reading Sistaslick's AC articles on porosity, I'd use this as a last resort, which is what I guess your doing...:)

Take care. Let me know how it goes. :up:

Thanks so much!

I did some more research and I definitely think that my hair is overly porous and the reason is probably relaxers. I get my hair relaxed every 6-8 weeks (trust me...I have tried stretching and the result was way too much breakage).

I came across an article concerning the signs of overly porous hair and my hair fit the description (puffy, frizzy, swollen and rough to the touch) even down to my hair having the reddish copper tone even though I don't have highlights. The person in the article even recommended the K-pak cuticle sealer.

I was out shopping yesterday and came across the cuticle sealer on sale so you know that I had to get out. I desperately hope that it will help my porosity issues because nothing else has seemed to work!

I will let you know how things go.

Thanks so much!

I did some more research and I definitely think that my hair is overly porous and the reason is probably relaxers. I get my hair relaxed every 6-8 weeks (trust me...I have tried stretching and the result was way too much breakage).

I came across an article concerning the signs of overly porous hair and my hair fit the description (puffy, frizzy, swollen and rough to the touch) even down to my hair having the reddish copper tone even though I don't have highlights. The person in the article even recommended the K-pak cuticle sealer.

I was out shopping yesterday and came across the cuticle sealer on sale so you know that I had to get out. I desperately hope that it will help my porosity issues because nothing else has seemed to work!

I will let you know how things go.

Ok, but I do want to point out (and re-iterate, I guess) that porosity is the ability for the hair to retain moisture. If moisture loss is severe, it is due to holes and cracks in the hair shaft, the only way to fill those holes essentially is through regular protein treatments. The cuticle sealer will simply bring down the pH of the hair to help close the already intact cuticles. So don't think that the cuticle sealer will solve all of your problems; use in conjuction with regular protein treatments.

(I just am saying this because what you've said in the quote above sounds like whatever protein products you are using are insufficient)

In addition, be sure to monitor your hair on a regular basis so that you don't repeat the same mistakes. No point in repairing the condition only to experience it over and over....:up:

Good luck!

Ahh yes, you have it covered to the nth degree cuz :lachen:

:hug2:

I forgot how much my hair was loving some Joico....it is officially taken back off the shelf for '09 and in will be back heavy rotation along with the Hairveda...just wanted to make sure my list got the stamp of approval... :lol:

Okay so looks like I will be buying me some Joico and fortunatley there are some salons here that carry it cause it expensive as is and to have it up here shipped would probably make me take out a loan....lol!

Ok, but I do want to point out (and re-iterate, I guess) that porosity is the ability for the hair to retain moisture. If moisture loss is severe, it is due to holes and cracks in the hair shaft, the only way to fill those holes essentially is through regular protein treatments. The cuticle sealer will simply bring down the pH of the hair to help close the already intact cuticles. So don't think that the cuticle sealer will solve all of your problems; use in conjuction with regular protein treatments.

(I just am saying this because what you've said in the quote above sounds like whatever protein products you are using are insufficient)

In addition, be sure to monitor your hair on a regular basis so that you don't repeat the same mistakes. No point in repairing the condition only to experience it over and over....:up:

Good luck!

Thanks for looking out! I actually plan on using the cuticle sealer in conjunction with the Joico liquid reconstructor I just bought. I am trying to sort of follow the directions of the 17 minute miracle kit. The only thing is that I am going to have to find a good leave-in conditioner to use after the reconstructor step because the liquid reconstructor is a leave-in. Does Joico make a good leave-in conditioner?

I believe it was you that had nothing but good things to say about Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner" so I may see how that works.

Thanks Again...you are the "Joico Guru"!

Okay so looks like I will be buying me some Joico and fortunatley there are some salons here that carry it cause it expensive as is and to have it up here shipped would probably make me take out a loan....lol!

I hear ya. Actually I have found some places online that sell Joico pretty cheap (cheaper than salons by about $5+) but once you add shipping you are right back up to what you would pay at a salon plus you have to wait. So I think getting it locally is definately the better deal.

How do you ladies use the split end mender? I just used it for the first time today and I like it. My hair hates oil so I moisturized and then sealed with this product. Do you think its too much to use this product everyday?

Thanks for looking out! I actually plan on using the cuticle sealer in conjunction with the Joico liquid reconstructor I just bought. I am trying to sort of follow the directions of the 17 minute miracle kit. The only thing is that I am going to have to find a good leave-in conditioner to use after the reconstructor step because the liquid reconstructor is a leave-in. Does Joico make a good leave-in conditioner?

I believe it was you that had nothing but good things to say about Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner" so I may see how that works.

Thanks Again...you are the "Joico Guru"!

Joico Daily Care Leave-in Detangler. I like it a whole lot :yep:

Yeah I love Paul Mitchell like I love Joico. PM brought me out of hair mediocrity :drunk: And Joico keeps me sane.

Has there been any discussion about the these two - the 1st one seems to indicate that oil(s) similar to the Aphogee EFA are added to the chemical process...Thoughts???

K-PAK Professional Formula E-L/80

Designed for: chemical activator

Benefits:
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
Enriched with essential fatty acids, vitamin E and lecithin, this chemical service additive is used with color, perms, lighteners and relaxers to improve desired end results and overall health of hair.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
For all chemical services, hair is left with improved condition, shine and health.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
Available in liter size.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

moz-screenshot.jpg
K-PAK Professional H.K.P.

Designed for: liquid protein chemical perfector

Benefits:
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
H.K.P. is a pure liquid form of human hair keratin protein that improves chemical services as a porosity equalizer when used for color or to improve hair's strength and integrity when perming or straightening.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
When used with color services, color lasts longer, looks more vibrant and is even from scalp to ends.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
When used with perming or straightening, H.K.P. strengthens hair and results in improved texture patterns that last longer with less damage occurring during the processing stage.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
Available in liter size.

Joico Daily Care Leave-in Detangler. I like it a whole lot :yep:

Yeah I love Paul Mitchell like I love Joico. PM brought me out of hair mediocrity :drunk: And Joico keeps me sane.

Ok see you are gonna make a sista spend all of her money :nono:

I guess I will try them both. I have been a little hesistant about liquid leave-ins because I haven't had much luck with them. I guess there's a first time for everything!

where did u find these ?
Has there been any discussion about the these two - the 1st one seems to indicate that oil(s) similar to the Aphogee EFA are added to the chemical process...Thoughts???

K-PAK Professional Formula E-L/80

Designed for: chemical activator

Benefits:
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
Enriched with essential fatty acids, vitamin E and lecithin, this chemical service additive is used with color, perms, lighteners and relaxers to improve desired end results and overall health of hair.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
For all chemical services, hair is left with improved condition, shine and health.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
Available in liter size.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

moz-screenshot.jpg
K-PAK Professional H.K.P.

Designed for: liquid protein chemical perfector

Benefits:
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
H.K.P. is a pure liquid form of human hair keratin protein that improves chemical services as a porosity equalizer when used for color or to improve hair's strength and integrity when perming or straightening.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
When used with color services, color lasts longer, looks more vibrant and is even from scalp to ends.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
When used with perming or straightening, H.K.P. strengthens hair and results in improved texture patterns that last longer with less damage occurring during the processing stage.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_gray.gif
Available in liter size.

So I'm confused now is the Intense Hydrator and the MR balm considered deep conditioners? I know they only say to leave on for 5 minutes. Should I look for something else to DC with? Does anyone DC with either of these WITHOUT adding anything to it?

So I'm confused now is the Intense Hydrator and the MR balm considered deep conditioners? I know they only say to leave on for 5 minutes. Should I look for something else to DC with? Does anyone DC with either of these WITHOUT adding anything to it?

I've DC'd with the Intense Hydrator. Just put a plastic cap on and sit under the dryer.

I've DC'd with the Intense Hydrator. Just put a plastic cap on and sit under the dryer.

Great! How long did you sit under the dryer? I have been just using it in the shower for 5 minutes and perhaps I would see more moisturizing benefits from the hydrator if I went under the dryer as well.

Thanks!

Why am I having such a hard time finding this 17 minute miracle/hair repair system online? Artemis do you buy yours online? If so, where from?

Why am I having such a hard time finding this 17 minute miracle/hair repair system online? Artemis do you buy yours online? If so, where from?

I think you can buy it directly from the Joico website. I think I remember seeing some information on there.

ETA: OK and second thought never mind, but here is some information about the 17 minute system. :lol: http://www.joico.com/product/detail.php?CatID=32

Last edited:
I've been using the liquid reconstructor for about two months and i love it, it doesn't leave the hair hard at all i also recently began using the leave in protector, too early to tell the difference, but i do know since using the k-pak line my hair has stopped thinning my ends are finally not see through so i'd say so for it

I've been using the liquid reconstructor for about two months and i love it, it doesn't leave the hair hard at all i also recently began using the leave in protector, too early to tell the difference, but i do know since using the k-pak line my hair has stopped thinning my ends are finally not see through so i'd say so for it

I can't wait to hear your review of the leave in protector! I just bought the liquid reconstructor and will use it for the first time this week. Hopefully I will love it as much as you do.

I am looking for a really good leave-in to use with the liquid reconstructor so I plan on trying the paul mitchell conditioner or the Joico daily leave-in detangler but if the leave in protector is good I may alternate.

Does the leave in protector leave your soft or does it provide somewhat of a firm hold (I see that it is a foam)? I rollerset pretty much exclusively and I love soft rollersets.

I can't wait to hear your review of the leave in protector! I just bought the liquid reconstructor and will use it for the first time this week. Hopefully I will love it as much as you do.

I am looking for a really good leave-in to use with the liquid reconstructor so I plan on trying the paul mitchell conditioner or the Joico daily leave-in detangler but if the leave in protector is good I may alternate.

Does the leave in protector leave your soft or does it provide somewhat of a firm hold (I see that it is a foam)? I rollerset pretty much exclusively and I love soft rollersets.

I have both of these. I didn't really find the Joico detangler to be that detangling or moisturizing. I am transitioning (4B) so I take note of how products work on both textures and I don't think it's a good stand alone product, I tried it with nothing else applied to my hair.

The PM leave in felt great going in felt very moisturizing and detangled like a dream. It also moisturizes the skin so if you get a bit on your scalp in the process there's no worries. BUT once my hair dried (airdry) :nono: Felt hard and dry. I put nothing else on my hair but the PM. I really wish it worked for me because up until I dried this stuff was gonna be my HG leave-in in the event I couldn't get anymore Lacio Lacio.

Hope these products work better for you and please post your review when you try them.

PS. The liquid reconstructor worked pretty well for me as far as how my hair felt after, not hard at all, actually pretty soft but I returned it because I am doing the reconstructor weekly and my daily leave in already has silk protein otherwise I would still use it.

I wonder if the MR styling creme would work for your rollersets. http://joico.com/product/detail.php?CatID=20
The description says it gives soft flexible hold plus added moisture. I just got mine in the mail a couple of days ago but I haven't tried it because today is my wash day. I am going to try it tonight and give my first impression review tomorrow.

I just recieved my 17 minute miracle pack today! Oh my, that's a lot of protein :dazed:

I'm going to be the first brave natural to try it...I think..

Are there any other naturals that tried the 17 minute miracle? I figure my ends could use a healthy dose of protein.

Last edited:
I have both of these. I didn't really find the Joico detangler to be that detangling or moisturizing. I am transitioning (4B) so I take note of how products work on both textures and I don't think it's a good stand alone product, I tried it with nothing else applied to my hair.

The PM leave in felt great going in felt very moisturizing and detangled like a dream. It also moisturizes the skin so if you get a bit on your scalp in the process there's no worries. BUT once my hair dried (airdry) :nono: Felt hard and dry. I put nothing else on my hair but the PM. I really wish it worked for me because up until I dried this stuff was gonna be my HG leave-in in the event I couldn't get anymore Lacio Lacio.

Hope these products work better for you and please post your review when you try them.

PS. The liquid reconstructor worked pretty well for me as far as how my hair felt after, not hard at all, actually pretty soft but I returned it because I am doing the reconstructor weekly and my daily leave in already has silk protein otherwise I would still use it.

OK I definitely don't need anything that will make my hair hard and dry. I might have to re-think the PM because my 4B dry tail hair doesn't need anymore dryness. Ironically my sister who is also a LHCF member tried the PM for the first time last night and it seems like it works for her. Unfortunately we don't have the same hair type (we are both 4B but her is much softer to the touch and she doesn't have a lot of problems with dryness). I am currently using Redken Butter Treat as a leave in and it detangles my hair really well and moisturizes pretty well for the first few weeks of my relaxer but after that even Redken starts to laugh at my new growth. :nono: I just worry now that Redken won't be able to provide the amount of moisture I will need now that I am upping my protein.

I am really excited about trying the liquid reconstructor. I really hope that it works out because I do need to build up the strength of my hair with more protein treatments BUT I don't need something that will make my hair hard or dry it out.

Thanks girl for the reviews!

I wonder if the MR styling creme would work for your rollersets. http://joico.com/product/detail.php?CatID=20
The description says it gives soft flexible hold plus added moisture. I just got mine in the mail a couple of days ago but I haven't tried it because today is my wash day. I am going to try it tonight and give my first impression review tomorrow.

I will definitely give this product a try once it arrives at my local Trade Secret! I can't wait to hear your review because we are both 4Bs.

Back