Is It A Red Flag If A Guy...

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
...hasn't been in a relationship in 5 years? The guy in question is 26. He says he's looking for a relationship now. He seems like a cool laid back person. I know there's nothing wrong with it. I'm just wondering what was he doing for 5 years, lol.

No. I don't think so either. I think it is a sign of maturity not to get into a relationship just for the sake of it. One can date without getting serious and all that it entails.

Maybe he knows what he's "looking for" just because he wants a relationship doesn't mean he'll jump right into one, however, he's used to dating around afterall and will hold off until he is sure he's found "the one".

But again, not a flag I don't think.

I would ask more questions. Over time find out what not being a relationship means. Dating, not dating, promiscuity, one night stands, focusing on school, career, friends? I think the red flag is vagueness and ambiguity IMO. I'd need more information.

I think you may be sensing something is off. Trust your instincts and see where they lead you.

So I asked him about it. I'm impatient. He basically said that he was dating during that time. Some he was having sex with and some he was not. He said he has not found anyone "worth" being in a relationship with.

I asked him why not. His response:

"Maybe because they already had someone just waiting for them to come around. Some I weren't sexual with we just didn't click at all"

:confused:. I'm not sure what to think about that because most women I know want a relationship ultimately with the person they are dating. Plus, I don't feel like he really answered the question. Like is he trying to say all the feelings were unrequited? They all had somebody else on the side? I just find it odd that he spent five years dating and having sex with people and didn't make a connection or nobody wanted a relationship. I'm still confused and on the fence. I mean I guess you're supposed to sew your oats in your twenties, but my heart just doesn't work like that so I don't understand it.

Last edited:
Yeah well, just keep your eyes and ears open, and go from there. Focus on how he treats you and on your intuition. Take it slow getting to know him. Time will tell. He's being vague. That's cool. Don't keep asking him about it. Just don't get serious or be intimate if you don't feel you know what he's about. For now just have fun.

Yeah well, just keep your eyes and ears open, and go from there. Focus on how he treats you and on your intuition. Take it slow getting to know him. Time will tell. He's being vague. That's cool. Don't keep asking him about it. Just don't get serious or be intimate if you don't feel you know what he's about. For now just have fun.
He's taking me out soon. I'll see what he's about but I'm dealing with him with a long handled spoon.

So I asked him about it. I'm impatient. He basically said that he was dating during that time. Some he was having sex with and some he was not. He said he has not found anyone "worth" being in a relationship with.

I asked him why not. His response:

"Maybe because they already had someone just waiting for them to come around. Some I weren't sexual with we just didn't click at all"

:confused:. I'm not sure what to think about that because most women I know want a relationship ultimately with the person they are dating. Plus, I don't feel like he really answered the question. Like is he trying to say all the feelings were unrequited? They all had somebody else on the side? I just find it odd that he spent five years dating and having sex with people and didn't make a connection or nobody wanted a relationship. I'm still confused and on the fence. I mean I guess you're supposed to sew your oats in your twenties, but my heart just doesn't work like that so I don't understand it.

You're think way too deeply into things. Men don't think like we think. Men view sex differently then we do. Just get to know him, take it slow, have fun, and stop overthinking for crying out loud!

I wanted to add ....

A flag for me is if he left a trail of broken hearts in his past. I would be interested to know if there were any "misunderstandings" in his past were he was involved with someone who didn't realize that she wasn't in a relationship.

I was assuming before that he was not sexually active, but, if he is sexually active then I won't lie. I would want to know how he was getting his needs met. (I would be wondering. Not sure if I would ask though)

I like guys like him because you can rule them out quickly if they are trying to be deceitful. His actions should have him sorted out quickly because you seem like you know what "you" want.

What I hate are the guys who do and say all the right things for..... 3 months.... just long enough to begin a relationship and then like clockwork they CHANGE. Almost to the day they start acting the fool and cutting up....:confused:

I've seen that have more of an emotional impact on my family and or friends than a guy that says, let's hang out and see if we are compatible.... to me that means NO SEX.

The minute he pushes for sex in my opinion is when his actions are not lining up with his 'talk' of relationship.

Reactions: JFK
I wanted to add ....

A flag for me is if he left a trail of broken hearts in his past. I would be interested to know if there were any "misunderstandings" in his past were he was involved with someone who didn't realize that she wasn't in a relationship.

I was assuming before that he was not sexually active, but, if he is sexually active then I won't lie. I would want to know how he was getting his needs met. (I would be wondering. Not sure if I would ask though)

I like guys like him because you can rule them out quickly if they are trying to be deceitful. His actions should have him sorted out quickly because you seem like you know what "you" want.

What I hate are the guys who do and say all the right things for..... 3 months.... just long enough to begin a relationship and then like clockwork they CHANGE. Almost to the day they start acting the fool and cutting up....:confused:

I've seen that have more of an emotional impact on my family and or friends than a guy that says, let's hang out and see if we are compatible.... to me that means NO SEX.

The minute he pushes for sex in my opinion is when his actions are not lining up with his 'talk' of relationship.

What's your definition of "pushing for sex" and when/how do you imagine it would occur that would make him look bad? Isn't sex a normal aspect of any relationship?

I'm not trying have a man that's been passed around, so to speak. That's a turn off for me.

Lol nearly all men have had some level of a whore phase at some point of his life. Sorry to disappoint you.

I recently got out of a relationship with a former male whore. Best sex of my life HANDS DOWN. It was like he was Aladdin and I was Jasmine and he was showing me a whole new world :lachen:. I'm all for reformed, disease-free male whores.

Lol nearly all men have had some level of a whore phase at some point of his life. Sorry to disappoint you.

I recently got out of a relationship with a former male whore. Best sex of my life HANDS DOWN. I'm all for reformed, disease free male whores
I'm not disappointed. There are men out there that aren't promiscuous. I think that's safe to say. There's no need to settle for a ho. (My own personal preference)

What's your definition of "pushing for sex" and when/how do you imagine it would occur that would make him look bad? Isn't sex a normal aspect of any relationship?
relationship is the key word. It's ok to have sexual chemistry and even sexual tension and flirting. That's the fun part of dating and getting to know each other. But, as things progress feelings should be expressed in words and actions prior to sexual relations.

Assuming I'm really liking the guy and I'm feeling hopeful for a relationship. I'd like him to ask for an exclusive relationship before he asks me for sex. I'm disciplined I can wait...lol and if he doesn't ask for a relationship before he asked for sex then my actions will let him know that he turned me off.

Am I wrong for feeling like that's nasty?
I would personally think so. I would definitely go extra slow with him with that extra information. I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping with him, until he has proved he's not going to put me in that "casual" sex category. And just be extra safe, he will need to get tested before I do anything sexual with him if that was me.

I'm not disappointed. There are men out there that aren't promiscuous. I think that's safe to say. There's no need to settle for a ho.

What about if a guy had a ho phase when he was young and immature and now he's wiser and learned from the past? Are you going to judge someone for their past that is is not reflective of current mindset?

the man was in his early 20s during those 5 years. I wouldn't trip over a man who was single for that long prior to 26. If finding a man (especially a young man) who doesn't have a history of slanging his dang a lang all over the city isn't what you want, then maybe this guy isn't what you're looking for then

Back