I Double-dare YOU to take the 7 day V-challenge!

yes, but i also have the "hand in hair" disease. Which means, i comb my hair too much. so, i took my ponytail down to check out my ends and started to comb my hair through. it was not easy to comb at that point but when i rinsed and conditioned it was nice and silky and tangle free.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
yes, but i also have the "hand in hair" disease. Which means, i comb my hair too much. so, i took my ponytail down to check out my ends and started to comb my hair through. it was not easy to comb at that point but when i rinsed and conditioned it was nice and silky and tangle free.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should try not to comb your hair too much (less manipulation is definitely better, and it usually makes the hair much happier).

Are their any SURGErs in this challenge, if so, how are you doing it. Are you applying Surge and then sealing it with vasaline?

Re: I Double-dare YOU to take the 7 day V-challeng

[ QUOTE ]
perfectpeace said:
I dont know if anyone has asked this question, but I could probably do this with a wet set. Right? I would put my hair up in a bun afterwards. What do you ladys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question. I did the vaseline thing with my usual rollerset after my wash, condition and leave-in routine. I'll find out when I wake up how that worked.

Typically, when I apply my proclaim coconut oil, I comb it through with my fine tooth comb - I just want to make sure that it's reaching all of the strands. But doing 6 inches of hair, I don't think I would.

Allandra, I can't do the 7 day challenge b/c I have some things going on with work and I want to look a little more dressy than my bun. I will have to try this another time unfortunately. I have done it a couple of days this week already though!

[ QUOTE ]
brittanynic16 said:
The vaseline made my hair kind of hard! Did I do something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this....*blank stare* I may have to give this up if I can't figure out how to do it right. My hair is actually breaking from being so hard!

Now, I KNOW I don't coat until I can poke someone's eye out--does that make the difference between hard and soft hair? I've been using my rebound moisturizer, instead of scurl...maybe that's the culprit? Egads, I HATE when I try someone everyone raves about and can't get it to work for me...*sighs*

Looks like I will have to use shampoo with this challenge because I'm not able to get the vaseline out with just conditioner washes.

Leshia & Brittany,

I'm getting the hard-hair thing too. Leshia, I made an eye-poker and still getting hard hair. I'm thinking of quitting too
frown.gif

My Keracare Oils were doing well on my ends so at least I have something to go back to if I have to give up on the V.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Hairlove,

Have you started the 7 day V-Challenge yet? I started tonight.

Skegeesmb & Leejure,

I'm now ready to poke someone in the eye.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So Ms. Allandra, how are your results?

And to the posters that aren't having the typical results with the vaseline, what exactly are you guys doing? Write exactly what products, and the amount of vaseline and everything down. Post it here. Maybe we can all figure out what's up.

I see some ppl in the challenge are getting hard hair from the vaseline. i don't know but maybe it's a conflict with other products being used. This may be creating a "new" product or a reaction with the multiple products mixing together and making the hair hard. For myself I only use ultra sheen anti-itch hair grease on my scalp after washing so it's not dry and that's it. so the vaseline doesnt have to compete with too many other products. I like it so far. i washed last night and applied the vaseline for the first time last night after washing and made a bun. this morning my ends were much softer. But for myself i don't think i will apply the vaseline every day. i will do it every other day instead. my ends soaked up about 70% of what i applied last night so i will give it the extra day to absorb the rest to avoid over-soft ends. Try improvising the challenge a little to fit with your own hair
smile.gif
I told my mom what i was doing and she said that the vaseline is VERY GOOD old fashioned advice
smile.gif
so NOW we may be onto the mystery of why most of the older ladies at church always have such nice looking healthy hair
wink.gif

Well,

I spritz my ends with water and then make a vaseline stake. I do my bun or whatever my day style is. If at night, I just tie my hair up with a scarf.

I'm using the Proclaim brand but the ingredients are 100% petroleum jelly. It's the same color, fragrance, and consistency as the name brand. Grrrr
mad.gif
Maybe this is why I've had this jar for so long...I know when I bought it my intent was to get my Lee & Adrienne on. Perhaps it didn't work before. I guess there are always a few out of the bunch that won't get the same results as the majority.

I have done this for a couple of days and I have only experienced soft hair just as when I did it before. I wonder what's causing the hard hair for some people?

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Well,

I spritz my ends with water and then make a vaseline stake. I do my bun or whatever my day style is. If at night, I just tie my hair up with a scarf.

I'm using the Proclaim brand but the ingredients are 100% petroleum jelly. It's the same color, fragrance, and consistency as the name brand. Grrrr
mad.gif
Maybe this is why I've had this jar for so long...I know when I bought it my intent was to get my Lee & Adrienne on. Perhaps it didn't work before. I guess there are always a few out of the bunch that won't get the same results as the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Okay. I know it was suggested that I spritz, but I didn't have anything to spritz with. What I did was gather my hair into the ponytail, all the hair I have after the ponytail holder I wet. I just turned on the sink, and let the water get my hands wet, and I smoothed the water on my hands onto my hair until it was pointy. Then I used my WGO and put it on, and then I took a nice pointy finger size amount of vaseline (I used the Equate Wal Mart brand) and smoothed that on my hair. I didn't use too much, maybe the size equivalent to a halls cough drop. But your hair is about 7 inches longer than mine, so you might just need to concentrate it on the last 3 or 4 inches of your hair. Do you twist and bun, meaning that you have enough hair so you don't have to use a sock or a scrunchie or the foam donut? If so, you probably won't have to use as much.

Oh I also just do the outer layer of my hair. So it's just the outside layer of my hair that is slightly damp, oiled, and vaselined. The inside of the hair is dry.

My ends are pretty soft. I'm using the Vaseline brand of vaseline, although it would seem that 100% petroleum would be the same with other brands. So far, I'm only spritzing plain ole water on my ends, like the last 3 inches of my hair.

It is possible that those experiencing hardness do have a conflict with Vaseline and whatever else is on their hair.

That might be it Isis. I use the off brand vaseline and my hair is doing fine. I only use wildgrowth hair oil after I have finished doing my hair (washing, conditioning, deep conditioning, blowdry/rollerset, flatiron.) When my hair is dry the only thing I used to use before adding vaseline was wild growth.

I'm going to back out of this challenge. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. I'm getting sick of washing my hair bc i'm not putting the vaseline on right.

perfectpeace, i don't think Vaseline on the ends is good with a wet set. why do you do a wet set then put your hair in a bun? do you wear it down for a few days before the bun? it will make your ends stiff. so i personally wouldn't do it this way...

keylargo, you should put the Vaseline on your ends last after combing through your hair. once that's done, there's really no reason to keep combing your hair. another point of this challenge (for me anyway) is to leave the hair alone once it's coated and in the bun. also, it's really not necessary to put it on 6" of hair.

leshia, i'm not familiar with the Rebound moisturizer. is that like a leave-in? maybe you should try the S-Curl or something with more moisture. ioanknow...

supergirl, i think you should spritz your hair with something more than water. i believe leejure uses a water & glycerine mix. some people use S-Curl. i use World of Curls gel. maybe the water just isn't providing enough moisture.

felicia, how long have you been doing this challenge? and how many times have you washed your hair since starting? i dunno... once i put my hair up, i don't bother the ends at all until i take it down again. maybe you're doing too much...

So, Adrienne, is a rollerset with Vaseline on the ends to airdry too much manipulation? I do this to get a straighter look and when airdried, I put it in a bun.

Also, how would the Vaseline technique effect a french twist style?

allandra, i'm glad this is working for you. once you put your hair up, how long before you take it down again?

isis, FOR ME, i think it would be too much manipulation to do all that. i'm having serious shedding issues though. so i'm on a no manipulation mission.
laugh.gif
if it works for you though, go for it!!

i think the Vaseline would definitely work with the french twist style. do you wear those often? i don't know how to do them, but it's a great "give the hair a rest" style.

I think that maybe I put too much on my hair. Is that possible? Well, I am going to take the advice I have seen and try again. Hope it works.

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
keylargo, you should put the Vaseline on your ends last after combing through your hair. once that's done, there's really no reason to keep combing your hair. another point of this challenge (for me anyway) is to leave the hair alone once it's coated and in the bun. also, it's really not necessary to put it on 6" of hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'll cut back on the combing. it will be hard but I'll try. I need to start my own little personal challenge called "no unnecessary manipulation"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Oh and by the way adrienne, I don't have 6inches worth of hair
cry3.gif
Only about 4 total. So, does that mean I should concentrate it on the last inch of hair
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
allandra, i'm glad this is working for you. once you put your hair up, how long before you take it down again?

isis, FOR ME, i think it would be too much manipulation to do all that. i'm having serious shedding issues though. so i'm on a no manipulation mission.
laugh.gif
if it works for you though, go for it!!

i think the Vaseline would definitely work with the french twist style. do you wear those often? i don't know how to do them, but it's a great "give the hair a rest" style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Adrienne! Next time I wash, maybe I'll not do the rollerset to airdry (except for my bangs) but just put my hair in a wet bun.

And yes, I do wear the French Twist style every other week, just so I can have a good change of protective styles. It's really easy to do (takes me about a minute) and looks great even when it isn't "perfect".
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:

Okay, I'll cut back on the combing. it will be hard but I'll try. I need to start my own little personal challenge called "no unnecessary manipulation".

[/ QUOTE ]

Keylargo - the "No Unnecessary Manipulation Challenge" sounds like a good plan to me! Maybe you can start it!
smile.gif

Supergirl, I think I was doing better spraying moisturizer and using some cholesterol on my ends!

I'm doing anything too dramatic--conditioner wash with cholesterol, rebound moisturizer and vaseline. HARD hair that I'm afraid to comb. What on earth??

Adrienne, I may have to go back to the scurl moisturizer. I wanted to try the rebound, because it had better ingredients, but it just isn't moisturizing enough. I did apply the moisturizer, vaseline and then sleep with a plastic cap and had good results, but can't sleep with a plastic cap every night as it bothers me. Something about the crunching. Annnnnyyywayyy, I'm going to get another bottle of scurl today. I think my hair is going through withdrawl. *sighs*

brittany, i don't know if there is a too much with the Vaseline. i put TONS of it. i have a photo in my album where my hair is sticking straight up from all the activator and Vaseline. what did you put on before the Vaseline again?

keylargo, yeah just putting the Vaseline on the last inch is sufficient.
smile.gif
and don't worry, girl. you WILL have more than 6" of hair soon!! *insert big hug here*

isis, maybe i'll have to PM you to get those french twist instructions. i'm one of those people that need visual aids though...
grin.gif
oh no... not another challenge... lol!!

leshia, maybe this isn't for you, but i wish you'd try another moisturizer before giving up. you didn't say whether the Rebound is like a leave-in. if so, that could be the thing. i use Elasta QP Recovery as my leave-in, but i still use curl activator for moisture...

I don't remember, Adrienne. I was experimenting with a lot of stuff because the UBH creme moisturizer was not working for me so I was going through my thousands of hair products to see if I could find something that works. After I used like three or four things then I wet my ends using a glercin, water condtiner mix. Then I applied the Vaseline. But, I probably used some crap that made it hard! But, I just washed my hair, applied my mix and some olive oil before I put the Vaseline on. So, we'll see how it looks in the morning. I will report then.

Question: Should i put a lot of vaseline?

I don't remember, Adrienne. I was experimenting with a lot of stuff because the UBH creme moisturizer was not working for me so I was going through my thousands of hair products to see if I could find something that works. After I used like three or four things then I wet my ends using a glercin, water condtiner mix. Then I applied the Vaseline. But, I probably used some crap that made it hard! But, I just washed my hair, applied my mix and some olive oil before I put the Vaseline on. So, we'll see how it looks in the morning. I will report then.

Question: Should i put a lot of vaseline?

Back