I Double-dare YOU to take the 7 day V-challenge!

Okay, I just tried it because apparently I am trying everything this month!! LOL!!

I'll see how it went when I wash my hair again. I am doing the baggie thing right now, going about a two weeks strong so....we'll see.

I tried to make my hair stiff, and I used a ton of curl activator AND vasaline. I have fine hair, so the weight of it all caused my hair to droop.

I think I tried this before but because my strands are so skinny, my hair actually stuck together. I'm hoping it doesn't do that this time.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
So, for those of us who are doing this, what is the best ratio of water to glycerin in the mixture to wet our ends with, before applying vaseline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, I usually take an old curl activator bottle and I fill it maybe a quarter of the way with gylcerin and the rest water. The real set amount. I just make sure that I put waaaay more water than glycerin.

hth,

-lee

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Are there any 4 hair types doing this challenge? How is it working for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am doing it and it is fine for me. I have a phony pony in right now so its not that much maintenance to do.

I'm in on this one too! I'm sooooo excited! This is my first challenge to participate in! I can't wait! Question, I have some AFrican Pride Hair Oil/Grease that is thick and heavy like Vaseline and it smells like berries! Can I use this? If not, I have some Vaseline, I just love the smell of the African Pride. Also, how many times per week can we Shampoo while doing this challenge?

It's working fine for me. I don't really wear my hair in any fancy styles unless I'm going out, so once it's well lubed, I tuck the ends away. I haven't had a problem. They're nice and soft when I take them down. I do this every other day.
smile.gif

isis, my hair is 4A relaxed. i've been doing this since march 2001. my two best friends (not on the board) have also been doing this since the beginning of 2003. one is 4A relaxed. the other is 4A natural. it's working for all of us.

cocoacure, the African Pride should do just fine. the main thing is using something thick. you can shampoo as many times a week as you like. i only do mine once a week.

Did you buy the vaseline brand or any old brand for $3. I ask because I've been thinking about getting back on the band wagon for a while. I even started putting a light grease on the ends. Well last night I put Nexxus Botanic oil on it (soaked it up). Anyway at $10.95 a bottle (big bottle), that's a little to steep to be using a lot of every day and sometimes the ends need something heavier.

For those of us who wash at night after working out what do you recommend. I have a feeling I already know but I wanna hear it anyway.

Leigh

Hey Isis i'm 4a/4b. I started the challenge on Saturday and i am finding that my ends are DEFINITELY much, much softer. I am doing the challenge combined with the bun method that Leejure suggested in another post. I am getting excellent results and i just FEEL much better knowing that my ends are REALLY tucked away now in addition to being much softer
smile.gif
Also, for myself I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would be adding additional vaseline every other day instead of everyday, but i am going to do it every 3 days instead. (the amount i used on day one has finally been completely absorbed and left my ends all conditioned and with just enough shine to look really healthy. I think i will also reduce the amount i originally used by about 1/4. I don't think my hair was as thirsty as i thought it was
rofl.gif
but i am loving all these new ideas
wink.gif
keep them coming leejure
smile.gif

I tried the Vaseline on my 7 yr olds 4a natural hair before I braided her hair for the week. That was sunday, this morning (tuesday)her ends are baby soft. I'm going to do this on a regular basis for her along with African Pride sheen braid spray, that stuff is my favorite.

Thanks Adrienne0914! I really appreciate the advice! I can't wait to get started tonight! Here's to super soft and silky ends!!! And less trimming too! Heck, I feel like after I do this, I'm not going to have to trim again until next October! (I just trimmed last month!) Wow!! That would be an awesome achievement in itself! I've also been using the SCurl advice I got from this board and OH MY GOSH!!! I'm at week 4 and my hair doesn't even feel like it's mine! I think I have a weave!! Hahahaha! Seriously though, I'm in love with the SCurl now and I bet I'll be a believer in the Vaseline too!! This is soooo much fun!! I'm going to try to go 10 weeks without a relaxer! Using these methods I've learned here, I think I can make! Maybe even to 12 weeks!

girl, just call me adrienne!
laugh.gif

i'm glad the S-Curl is working for you. i really like it too, but lately i've been using World of Curls which is alot heavier. keep us posted on how you like the combo together!!

[ QUOTE ]
leejure said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
So, for those of us who are doing this, what is the best ratio of water to glycerin in the mixture to wet our ends with, before applying vaseline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, I usually take an old curl activator bottle and I fill it maybe a quarter of the way with gylcerin and the rest water. The real set amount. I just make sure that I put waaaay more water than glycerin.

hth,

-lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Leejure! I had an idea it should be a LOT more water than glycerin but I waited for a reply (didn't really see what I was lookin for on the Hair Recipe Board, but other interesting concoctions!).

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
isis, my hair is 4A relaxed. i've been doing this since march 2001. my two best friends (not on the board) have also been doing this since the beginning of 2003. one is 4A relaxed. the other is 4A natural. it's working for all of us.

cocoacure, the African Pride should do just fine. the main thing is using something thick. you can shampoo as many times a week as you like. i only do mine once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Adrienne and all of the other 4 hair type ladies!
It's so encouraging to know this is working for all of you! My ends are also very soft now and I'm thinking about exceeding my 7-day challenge...
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
leejure said:
[ QUOTE ]
Leshia said:
Now, I KNOW I don't coat until I can poke someone's eye out--does that make the difference between hard and soft hair? I've been using my rebound moisturizer, instead of scurl...maybe that's the culprit? Egads, I HATE when I try someone everyone raves about and can't get it to work for me...*sighs*

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, plase re-trace your steps back to me. We are going to figure this thing out!

-lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i ditched the rebound moisturizer and went back to my scurl and it's a whole different world now. *SMILING and doing the BACKSLIDE* Yes, I do feel like a greaser, but ummm...my ends aren't dry. *blank stare* My husband wonders how the woman he married can turn to "jheri curl juice" and hairgrease/vaseline. Ah well...<shrugs> I just keep telling it ( as I'm slathering on the hairgrease) that it's all for the cause.. he'll figure it out when I'm in DC STRUTTIN'. *struts to the Staying Alive music playing in my head**

girl, you had me spitting my fruit punch on the screen! that was too funny!!
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

i'm glad it's working for you now, and i know your hubby will appreciate it in the long run!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Are there any 4 hair types doing this challenge? How is it working for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 4. I'll have to let you know how this vaseline works tomorrow cuz that's my next wash day. I've been doing the baggie for about two weeks now, but um....just added the vaseline. Although I been told before, but I wuz being hard headed
look.gif

Lee,

Man, oh man, oh man, does this work!! I haven't been using vaseline because I don't have any, but I have been using Indian Hemp grease on my ends along w/the S-Curl formula, tucking it away and my ends look and feel fabulous!

I keep taking my hair out of my ponytail bun to look and feel my ends and I'm just amazed. I'm going to retain so much more growth because my ends will remain in tact and so much healthier.

Thank you, thank you!

I think I've hit rock bottom, ladies. This morning I
-took a fist full of vitamins with protein powder and MSM powder and eggs and water,
-applied Surge to my scalp with a pointy tipped applicator bottle, and
-gooped my wet bun up with quite a bit of baby fresh vaseline and a Good Hair Day pin.

Next: self-relaxing

I needed a good laugh. Now staying alive is going to be stuck in my head. Staying alive staying alive oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhh staying allllllliiiiiiiiiiveeeeeeeeeee.

well i am doing this also but im not really regular, some days i do it, some i dont. but so far its going fine. i did it last night w/some water and also some s-curl too and i put some S-8 on my ends afterwards. this morning when i took my hair out of the bun i put it up in the hair there felt very moist, like almost maybe still damp, but i was happy. i'll try to keep this in till mid-dec or so or end of it and c what the results are. I'm also going to be washin twice a week and doing the bun drying thing. I like how biolage feels on my hair after it dries. I could sport an afro. nice soft one. lol

I secretly joined the challenge the other night. At first I thought my hair was hard but then I noticed how moist it was. I definitely think this is a re-discovery. Up until last year I used vaseline constantly then I shunned it and now I'm slowly inching back. Thanx for the challenge...Too bad I'll be braiding my hair this weekend and won't be able to continue it.

Back