I Propose A Vaseline-Sealing Challenge

Hey! I wish I could take credit for discovering the vaseline technique. But I got that from two beautiful heads about six years ago, on this board. Leejure and Adrienne. I am not very savvy with the computer but I hope the link below works. It's entitled I double dog dare you to take the V-Challenge. Good luck with your challenge!Let me go bump the thread, too.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=15780&highlight=double+dog+dare

Oh I know the vaseline thing has been around for a while...I was referring to your fotki album and your tutorial for washing your hair:grin:. I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR POSTING IT!!!!!!! The only hair that comes out now is shed hair, NO breakage or split ends :yep:

I want to join because I am having such terrible experiences with my ends splitting. In addition, I went to a salon to get my hair straighten for my b-day, and that ***** cut my hair from almost BSL to back at APL. She said my ends needed to be trimmed. Plus, she didn't ask me, so yeah I need this because if I have one more experience like the above I will be on the 9 o'clock news everywhere.

Off to buy Vaseline!
390_crazy_driver.gif

Whats your growth rate btw?

LOL! About a half an inch per month.:yep:

Ok, I had a really bad detangling problem so I loaded my hair down with this cheapie conditioner that has olive oil in it (supposedly but it's a pretty good conditioner), detangled and sealed with vaseline. I then tightly wrapped my hair in a scarf, when I later removed it my hair felt pretty soft and was laying down nicely. My ends, not so much. I'm almost 12 weeks post, trying to stretch til Christmas.
I'll see the end result in the morning.

I want to try it. I will us it about 3 times a week and see how it goes. Thanks for putting up the challange.

Hey! I wish I could take credit for discovering the vaseline technique. But I got that from two beautiful heads about six years ago, on this board. Leejure and Adrienne. I am not very savvy with the computer but I hope the link below works. It's entitled I double dog dare you to take the V-Challenge. Good luck with your challenge!Let me go bump the thread, too.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=15780&highlight=double+dog+dare

I was just looking at your baggy method on fotki today!

Do you apply the unpetroleum to the entire length of your hair or just the ends?

So how the heck do you do this, put on your products and THEN put the vaseline on your ends? Cause I am neverrrrrrr giving up my qhemet and karen's and oyin! lol

So how the heck do you do this, put on your products and THEN put the vaseline on your ends? Cause I am neverrrrrrr giving up my qhemet and karen's and oyin! lol

yes! this may be good for you especially since we have similar hair types and you mainly wear your hair in twists:yep:

After I wash and condition my hair, I do the following

- I take down each plait and fingercomb through through
-I add my leave-ins (cantu shea butter leave-in and parneavu for extra dry hair
-I lightly coat my hair with a light oil (organics carrot oil w/ tea tree oil or pure jojoba)
-I detangle once more, and braid the plait back. Then I apply the warmed vaseline down the length of the braid. I also apply it to the base of the braid and around my hair to keep the flyaways at bay. And that's it

This routine takes me all of 15 minutes after I've washed and deep-conditioned

yes! this may be good for you especially since we have similar hair types and you mainly wear your hair in twists:yep:

After I wash and condition my hair, I do the following

- I take down each plait and fingercomb through through
-I add my leave-ins (cantu shea butter leave-in and parneavu for extra dry hair
-I lightly coat my hair with a light oil (organics carrot oil w/ tea tree oil or pure jojoba)
-I detangle once more, and braid the plait back. Then I apply the warmed vaseline down the length of the braid. I also apply it to the base of the braid and around my hair to keep the flyaways at bay. And that's it

This routine takes me all of 15 minutes after I've washed and deep-conditioned

ooh and my hair won't come unraveled? yanno this may be good for the ends now that i think about it. hmmmm thanks girl!!!!

update:
Went to walgreens and got some vaseline. After I did tis wacked out routine on my hair hair yesterday ( I posted it just for the heck of it) My hair was extra coily and hard. I section it and added my butter and sealed with the vaseline. Hair feels so soft and im looking forward to a nice wavy braid out. Hair has nice sheen too as well. I think this will solve my hair breakage problem. Hopefully it will help retain some length to reach wl challenge next year.:yep:

Can I use a product like Alba Un-Petroleum? It's made with castor oil, coconut oil, beeswax. I am currently using coconut oil on my hair right now and it is working really well. I will use vaseline on my ends only, until the Alba shows up.

Last edited:
I really like using vaseline on my ends. I wet my hair and braid it in about 6 plats every night, sealing the ends with vaseline. My braidouts always look fresh in the morning. The only other thing I've been using on the rest of the hair for daily braidouts is dabur vitika coconut oil. My hair stays shiny, healthy, & soft all day.

I'm in as well! I'm also wearing plaits underneath my wig.

I've read through a lot of threads about the vaseline method. However, I'm still confused about the vaseline vs. "un-petroleum." I understand the idea of moisture>oil>vaseline/"unpetroleum."

What's wrong with using good ol' vaseline?:look:
Can someone plz explain the difference. Thank you!

I used to do this regularly. Don't know why I stopped. I grew complacent, I guess. I also used to wash my hair using the Crown and Glory method you described. Stopped that too. Hmmm, and now I have issues with ends.
Gotta return back to some of those more nurturing techniques. Thanks for the reminder, OP. I'm in.

Count me in!

I just checked out Chicoro's blog and she breaks it down!

I will only apply the vaseline as a sealant to the very tips of my ends after my water based moisturizer and pin curl at night.

I did not see this thread and I did a strand test last night:grin:.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'd like to join in, as I began sealing with Vaseline about 2 weeks ago.
My hair has not been this soft for a long time. I like the results so far.

I've added some photos of my updates:

I blow dried for about 5 minutes and ran a warm pressing comb through once. I got lots of compliments from family :grin::

005.jpg
006.jpg

Did you do that with Vas in your hair?

Either way GOOOOOOOOOrgeous! wow look how thick and pretty it is....

Ummm....Yeah but since its against official LHCF protocol, you're going to have to read between the white lines. I don't want nobody showing up on my doorstep with deep conditioner and wide tooth combs saying "we need to take you into custody"

Can I use a product like Alba Un-Petroleum? It's made with castor oil, coconut oil, beeswax. I am currently using coconut oil on my hair right now and it is working really well. I will use vaseline on my ends only, until the Alba shows up.

That's a great alternative. :yep: I plan on getting a pound of the unpetroleum from camdengrey.com.

I'm in as well! I'm also wearing plaits underneath my wig.

I've read through a lot of threads about the vaseline method. However, I'm still confused about the vaseline vs. "un-petroleum." I understand the idea of moisture>oil>vaseline/"unpetroleum."

What's wrong with using good ol' vaseline?:look:
Can someone plz explain the difference. Thank you!

I don't know about anyone else, but it's a personal preference for me. If I can afford it, I'd rather get the unpetroleum because it's got goodies like castor and/or coconut oil in it and uses natural waxes. But if money is tight, I'd use the good ol' Vaseline!

Back