I Didn't Love My Wife When We Got Married...

CurlyNiquee

I Didn't Love My Wife When We Got Married...

thumb.php

I’m a ridiculous, emotional, over-sentimental sap. I guess that’s why I told my wife I loved her on our second date. I had tried really hard up to that point to hold it back, honestly. I wanted to tell her on the first date, but I knew that would probably be weird.

I still remember her reaction. She kind of gave me this half-shy, half-amused smile. Then she nodded and looked off into the sky. I wasn’t heartbroken by the response. I think part of me recognized that she was much smarter and more modest than me. But as time has gone on, I also realized that she knew something that I didn’t.

Like most Hasidic Jews (we both became religious later in life), our dating period lasted a very short time. After two months of dating, we were engaged. Three months after that, we were married. And that whole time I was swooning. This fire was burning in me, a fire that burned just like that second date: I was in love.

But then we got married, and everything changed.

Marriage, quicker than I was ready for, did this thing: it started sucking away that emotion.

I tried so hard to keep that fire going, to keep that emotion alight, but it got harder and harder.

I mean, how you can feel that burning love when you’re sitting at the table discussing how to use the last twenty dollars in your bank account?

How can you feel it when you get into an argument?

How can you feel it when you think it makes perfect sense to put your socks on the floor after you’re done with them, and she has this crazy idea that they need to go in the laundry basket?

There was no way I could keep that dating fire burning as practicality invaded our lives. And at first, it drove me nuts. That emotion meant love! That excitement was how I knew I cared for her! But suddenly, life was this grind. Even when I was with her. Especially when I was with her.
And even worse, it seemed that the harder I tried to be sentimental and lovey-dovey, the less it was reciprocated.

But it wasn’t that she wasn’t giving me love, it just seemed to come at different times.

Like, when I offered to do the dishes. Or make dinner after she had a hard day. Or, once we had a daughter, when I shared the responsibility of watching over her.

I don’t think I noticed this consciously for a while. It just kept happening.
But I think it had an effect on me. Because as our marriage progressed, I found myself offering to help out around the house more and more. And after each time, there would be this look she would give me. This look of absolute love. One that was soft and so beautiful.

It took me longer than I care to admit to understand what was happening. But eventually it became clear. Through giving, through doing things for my wife, the emotion that I had been so desperately seeking naturally came about. It wasn’t something I could force, just something that would come about as a result of my giving.

In other words, it was in the practicality that I found the love I was looking for.

And what was even more interesting was that once I realized this on a conscious level, and started trying to find more opportunities to give, the more we both, almost intuitively, became lovey-dovey.

And now, as I’m a bit older and a bit more experienced with this relationship, I’ve finally come to realize something. Something I haven’t wanted to admit for a long time, but is undeniable.

I didn’t love my wife on that second date.

I didn’t love her when we got engaged.

I didn’t even love her when we got married.

Because love isn’t an emotion. That fire I felt, it was simply that: emotional fire. From the excitement of dating a woman I felt like I could marry. But it wasn’t love.

No, love isn’t an emotion or even a noun. It’s a verb. Better defined as giving. As putting someone else’s needs above your own. Why wasn’t I getting reciprocal lovey-doveyness when we were first married? Because it wasn’t for her. It was for me. An emotion I had in my chest.

And even when I let it out of my chest, it wasn’t love.

Being sappy isn’t love. Telling someone you love them doesn’t mean that you do.

And that’s why my wife just gave me that half-smile. She knew, even if I didn’t, what love really is.

And now that I’ve tried to change the way I look at love, the more I become shocked at the messages of love I had gotten when I was younger.

From Disney movies to my favorite shows like “The Office” to practically every pop song released, love is constantly sold as an emotion we have before we’re married. An emotion that, once had, somehow magically stays within a marriage forever.

I can’t imagine a bigger lie. And I’m saddened to think about how much those messages bounced around in my head for so long. And how much I’m sure those messages are bouncing around in other people’s heads as well.

I think that might be a big part of the reason the divorce rate is so high in this country. Imagine a whole nation of people constantly chasing the emotions they had when they were dating. A country of people trying to live a Disney movie.

That’s a recipe for disastrous marriages; for a country with a 50% divorce rate; for adultery (the classic attempt to turn the fire back on); for people who do stay together to simply live functional, loveless marriages.

It’s sad to see just how common all the above is. How many people are in pain simply because they’ve been lied to.

Those people deserve better. We all deserve better.

It’s time that we changed the conversation about love. It’s time that we redefine it. Because until we do, adultery will continue to be common. Loveless marriages. Divorce.

Living Disney movies in our minds, and tragedies in our lives.

Source

Thanks for sharing, i read the entire article, when i first started it i though he was sappy and annoyed me a bit but as i read on there is much depth and truth to his words.

It reminded me a lot of the 5 Love Languages. That was a really good book.

yardy, I liked this article

That was excellent. And it is true to every word. Love is usually slow and quiet. Not always this exciting, hot, passionate thing I see a lot of young women striving to reach and keep. It really is a tragedy and how this country sets up this ridiculous ideal of love has been the biggest disaster ever on relationships.

Great read. We learned this in our premarital counseling and our old pastor used to say it all the time. Love is a choice you make every day, not something you feel.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using LHCF

It reminded me a lot of the 5 Love Languages. That was a really good book.

yardy, I liked this article

I bought that book for my SO and I to read together. Look forward to reading it.

I love this article.

Wait, be positive, keep believing, and all will surely be yours. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Love is usually slow and quiet. Not always this exciting, hot, passionate thing I see a lot of young women striving to reach and keep. It really is a tragedy and how this country sets up this ridiculous ideal of love has been the biggest disaster ever on relationships.

A-freaking men!!!!

The article was 100% true and is why I've lost my patience with dating in the US. Thanks for sharing.

That was excellent. And it is true to every word. Love is usually slow and quiet. Not always this exciting, hot, passionate thing I see a lot of young women striving to reach and keep. It really is a tragedy and how this country sets up this ridiculous ideal of love has been the biggest disaster ever on relationships.

Love, love, love this. :yep:

Thank you for this article, I enjoyed reading it very much. Thanks Southernbella for this awesome quote: Love is a choice you make every day, not something you feel.

I liked this article. However, the last sentence made me skim the article because I thought I missed something.
"It’s time that we changed the conversation about love. It’s time that we redefine it. Because until we do, adultery will continue to be common. Loveless marriages. Divorce."

Ehh...I don't buy it. I agree, love isn't lust. But romantic love is something that is either there or not. You can choose to do the loving thing, but its not really love...because the emotion behind it isn't really there.

Love can spring up quickly, or it can take time to develop. But it should be there...in the background playing constantly. The fact that you love someone is what motivates you to take action in loving ways.

A-freaking men!!!!

The article was 100% true and is why I've lost my patience with dating in the US. Thanks for sharing.
Right! US dating is very hard as I find men from all races looking for crap that doesn't matter long term and looking for that instant fire that we are inundated with in movies, books, media from birth. As soon as that initial lust fire calms down whether you color or not, they're on to the next adrenaline rush, hoping for that fire to burn again--forever. Its unfortunate, but my best connections were with non-Americans or First Generation Americans.

Ehh...I don't buy it. I agree, love isn't lust. But romantic love is something that is either there or not. You can choose to do the loving thing, but its not really love...because the emotion behind it isn't really there.

Love can spring up quickly, or it can take time to develop. But it should be there...in the background playing constantly. The fact that you love someone is what motivates you to take action in loving ways.

Agreed with every single word. While love is a verb, you need to first really LOVE someone romantically to do loving things for them. Otherwise, it's not different than doing a loving action towards someone you're not romantically involved with and you can't force that emotion. If the author didn't romantically love his spouse his outlook might be different. It's just that now (naturally so) all the newness is gone and practicality hits the relationship. But IMO you must have the romantic love going on in the background too and if you really love someone that feeling doesn't just completely disappear, it will change but it doesn't completely go. That's what makes a romantic relationship different from other relationships. It's just like why some people take forever to get over their ex's and will move on and still have a slight torch carried for them. Would you rather smell the farts of someone who you look at as your 'boo, your man, your dear dear dh' or someone you love dearly as a person w/o having a semblance of romantic love for them? The latter option will disgust you more. It will be more of a repugnance b/c deep down you don't really love the person in the way that you'd like and you'll look at the person and start to resent them over time.

Woooo chile!! That article hit the soul!
tumblr_inline_msdkvnKhAc1qz4rgp.gif

I think I needed to read that. Definitely gives me a new perspective. :yep:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We create the romance. Love is a state of being. When i think of love I dont think of Romance. Love doesn't keep you from not moving on, feelings do. Bc after those feelings are gone, love can still be there.
Eta: I think that we focus to much on romance vs building a foundation of friendship.

Wait, be positive, keep believing, and all will surely be yours. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
i agree--while i see the point of the article--it doesn't apply to me and the relationships ive had and my marriage

if i didnt LOVEEEEEE my dh the way i do---growing into love wouldnt help me at all in my choice to marry him--im not going to grow into loving the person i am making the decision to spend the rest of my life with----Im not a person who grows into things when making very final decisions...its there or not
hence romantic love is either there or not

many married ppl do grow into liking and loving their partner--that works for some ppl--for me that wouldnt work...

whenever i made a final decision on something that i wasnt 100000% about and stayed around and let something develop over time versus fully knowing b4 making a final decision--ish hit the fan personally and professionally...

growing into loving my husband-such a huge decision to grow into-- umm no
everyone is different--im glad dude found what works for his marriage

for me and the life i lead growing into a job or growing into anything major wouldnt work--im an all or nothing type...and i come to that decision/conclusion prior to making any major final life altering choice

Right! US dating is very hard as I find men from all races looking for crap that doesn't matter long term and looking for that instant fire that we are inundated with in movies, books, media from birth. As soon as that initial lust fire calms down whether you color or not, they're on to the next adrenaline rush, hoping for that fire to burn again--forever. Its unfortunate, but my best connections were with non-Americans or First Generation Americans.
Honestly at times both genders try to fit a round peg in a square hole. Then when things go sideways from said bad choices nobody is accountable. When I'm on a mostly male site I see this same stuff just blaming women. I personally think its all on each one of us personally since we have control in who we are with. I do agree that both genders (not just guys :lol:) seem to have many that care about things that don't matter long term because of the things you stated.

Great article. This is why I've never believed in marrying for love.

besides, I'm not very good at expressing devotion, investment and caring in an emotional manner. All I can do is show you, which takes years......

i agree--while i see the point of the article--it doesn't apply to me and the relationships ive had and my marriage

if i didnt LOVEEEEEE my dh the way i do---growing into love wouldnt help me at all in my choice to marry him--im not going to grow into loving the person i am making the decision to spend the rest of my life with----Im not a person who grows into things when making very final decisions...its there or not
hence romantic love is either there or not

many married ppl do grow into liking and loving their partner--that works for some ppl--for me that wouldnt work...

whenever i made a final decision on something that i wasnt 100000% about and stayed around and let something develop over time versus fully knowing b4 making a final decision--ish hit the fan personally and professionally...

growing into loving my husband-such a huge decision to grow into-- umm no
everyone is different--im glad dude found what works for his marriage

for me and the life i lead growing into a job or growing into anything major wouldnt work--im an all or nothing type...and i come to that decision/conclusion prior to making any major final life altering choice

I agree....

Great article. This is why I've never believed in marrying for love.

besides, I'm not very good at expressing devotion, investment and caring in an emotional manner. All I can do is show you, which takes years......

barbiesociliate would you marry someone you were not attracted to in that way if everything else was fine?

barbiesociliate would you marry someone you were not attracted to in that way if everything else was fine?

yes. and it has always been how I've started and maintained any interpersonal relationships---friendship or romantic. I chose my relationships logically. I don't trust "fuzzy" feelings, they can be deceptive and misleading. Including my own. I'm almost always an instant good judge of character but I move slowly. Anything I emotionally invest in is merely a promise/openness/goal to that I plan on loving someone it's not an indicator that I do because fact of the matter is loving anyone will take me years to truly feel and believe. So yes, I would easily marry someone, and likely will, that I am not "in" love with at the time of marriage license.

Sorta OT but not really: I firmly believe how you handle friendships is a major indicator how you handle relationships. It shows why/how/who one is likely to emotional invest in general.People will pick friends they have a good time with and make them laugh or give them feel good feelings vs choosing friends based on substance that only time and loyalty can provide that will make a friendship last long-term. I learned this via observation and from my maternal grandmother, who overall had the happiest marriage of anyone I know and maintains the healthiest friendships as well. Personally, I'm like my grandmother, although I care I only grow in/to love with anyone. slow and steady

Last edited:
Sorta OT but not really: I firmly believe how you handle friendships is a major indicator how you handle relationships. It shows why/how/who one is likely to emotional invest in general.People will pick friends they have a good time with and make them laugh or give them feel good feelings vs choosing friends based on substance that only time and loyalty can provide that will make a friendship last long-term. I learned this via observation and from my maternal grandmother, who overall had the happiest marriage of anyone I know and maintains the healthiest friendships as well. Personally, I'm like my grandmother, although I care I only grow in/to love with anyone. slow and steady

I feel there is some truth to this. If more people treated this relationships with their SO like they do their friends, then I think there wouldn't be so many underlying issues. Friendships are the foundation to everything.

yes. and it has always been how I've started and maintained any interpersonal relationships---friendship or romantic. I chose my relationships logically. I don't trust "fuzzy" feelings, they can be deceptive and misleading. Including my own. I'm almost always an instant good judge of character but I move slowly. Anything I emotionally invest in is merely a promise/openness/goal to that I plan on loving someone it's not an indicator that I do because fact of the matter is loving anyone will take me years to truly feel and believe. So yes, I would easily marry someone, and likely will, that I am not "in" love with at the time of marriage license.

I agree with this and find it to be very true regarding friendships. This is how I now choose who I want close to me and who I don't.. i.e some of the friendships of my 20s.
I'm not saying to build a relationship on warm fuzzy feelings solely. That's a recipe for disaster. Actually, that's not what I mean at all. I mean having an attraction to a person where you can see them as your lover, your spouse, your partner, your friend, provider, etc ... When I say attraction I don't also mean someone that looks physically great -- we are all attracted to different traits and qualities that arouse us. Attraction is more than just tall, dark, and handsome. It's really a combination of a lot. So I was just wondering, if you could marry someone whom you don't have a desire to be with sexually, intimately, etc. I just think if you don't find your spouse attractive in that way intially and that light switch never really gets turned on, would you be happy with that? Just thinking out loud here. If that's the case, couldn't you two simply be roomates or besties that live together? I just couldn't willingly go into a marriage with that mindset early on. It's different if you've been together for yearssssss upon yearrrssssss.

Idk... even skimming the random thoughts in the marriage thread, even if the wives are annoyed by their DH, many of them will follow up with a comment like "i love me so him" "DH put the business down" "after xyz years I LOVE that man". You need some type of chemistry to fall back on too.

Back