I colored my hair w/ Indigo **Pics**

MsBoinglicious

My hair before: (pic from 9-09)
s1-vi.jpg

My hair after the Henna: (11-21-09)
IMG_1333-vi.jpg

IMG_1331-vi.jpg

My hair after the Indigo: I still have Co-Washer in my hair (11-21-09)
5-vi.jpg

8-vi.jpg

9-vi.jpg

I love the results. It did loosen my curls up. I am DC'ing now and will leave my DC in until tomorrow. When ya henna and indigo make sure to wear clothes/towels you don't mine ruining lol it gets messy (my poor night gown :sad:)! It was fun :grin: but time consuming. I wouldn't do this every month. Maybe twice a year or so.

Do we like????

We love, we love!!!.......I love the result hendigo gives but every time I get to the indigo I have to spend half an hour in the shower waiting it out (without the water on of course!) cause it is so messy and dripping all over the place. I am overdue for a session now!

It's pretty. Nice and dark. I need to order some indigo b/c I'm tired of these henna highlights. Where did you get yours from?

I really like it :yep: How did you make your indigo?

Well i used about 4 cups of warm water. Added just one table spoon of sea salt. Mixed it and slapped it on my head. lol:lachen:

The henna was a tab bit more complicated for me. With indigo you don't really do to much to it.

you are the first person to use indigo and it actually looks black . I lovvit . I want some . Where did you buy yours from ?

It's pretty. Nice and dark. I need to order some indigo b/c I'm tired of these henna highlights. Where did you get yours from?

you are the first person to use indigo and it actually looks black . I lovvit . I want some . Where did you buy yours from ?

I got it from www.Mehandi.com. I ordered two 100g boxes of Henna 2009 crop and two 100g bags of Indigo and it was enough for my BSB hair

beautiful results! :grin::grin::grin: ... ok spill the beans.:lachen: what did you do, & where did you get it from? :grin::drunk::grin: i've tried to indigo my hair 3 times & it still won't take over my henna. :wallbash: i ordered my indigo from henna sooq & followed the instructions to the t. -- let dye release 10-15 mins, add salt -- still nothing. their henna worked fine, but nada with the indigo.

i did find an indian store in the city that sold "black henna", but the ingredients weren't listed on the package & the powder was way too grainy -- it had little, tiny, grassy bits. i had to sift it 3 times to get all that mess out. i know from experience how dificult it can be to rinse that stuff out :grin: so i wasn't havin' it. ... it did actually work though, but i didn't repurchase because of the extra work caused by the graininess. :perplexed:spinning::perplexed

Last edited:
beautiful results! :grin::grin::grin: ... ok spill the beans.:lachen: what did you do & where did you get it from? :grin::drunk::grin: i've tried to indigo my hair 3 times & it still won't take over my henna. :wallbash: i ordered my indigo from henna sooq & followed the instructions to the t. -- let dye release 10-15 mins, add salt -- still nothing. their henna worked fine, but nada with the indigo.

i did find an indian store in the city that sold "black henna", but the ingredients weren't listed on the package & the powder was way too grainy -- it had little, tiny, grassy bits. i had to sift it 3 times to get all that mess out. i know from experience how dificult it can be to rinse that stuff out :grin: so i wasn't havin' it. ... it did actually work though, but i didn't repurchase because of the extra work caused by the graininess. :perplexed:spinning::perplexed

I did the same thing as you. I mixed about 4 cups of warm water with it. I added 1 table spoon of sea salt. I didn't wait for it to sit I just slapped it on as soon as I was done mixing. I did leave it on for one hour. The last 10 minutes (before I rinsed it out) I sat under my hooded dryer on medium heat to release any extra dye that my body heat couldn‘t do.

I got my Indigo from www.Mehandi.com . I think they have the best online from what I understand. It is sifted very fine like the Henna Jamila.

IMG_1252-vi.jpg

IMG_1330-vi.jpg

It looks awesome! :grin:

I am glad I'm not the only one who got a looser texture. My 3B/C curls went to waves after my first henna last month.

Do I have to henna first? Is indigo a safer alternative to using box dye? Has any relaxed heads used this with no major breakage?

Last edited:
It looks awesome! :grin:

I am glad I'm not the only one who got a looser texture. My 3B/C curls went to waves after my first henna last month.

Mhm even when my hair is wet it still shrinks up (at chin/neck), but with the henna it was longer and I had curls in some places and straight waves in others(sits on shoulders). But I don't mind cause I don't wear my natural hair out. I keep my hair in a bun.

Nice color BB. I love indigo. I add a tablespoon of cornstarch diluted in warm water in my indigo recipe for it to adhere to my hair better = no more mess all over the place or me.

Also I never allow my indigo to sit - I add it to my hair immediately after mixing, leave it in my hair for about 2 -2.5 hours, rinse out, and I get very black results.

It looks really nice and rich. wait till a few more days pass after it oxidizes it will get even darker. Nice job.:yep:

Do I have to henna first? Is indigo a safer alternative to using box dye? Has any relaxed heads used this with no major breakage?

I'm relaxed and I don't have breakage. You just have to handle your hair delicately when using ayurveda powders. You do have to henna your hair first if you want to use indigo. It does not color without henna. It is a wonderful alternative to boxed dyes because it is all natural. Apply it to slightly damp hair and your results will be awesome.

Do I have to henna first? Is indigo a safer alternative to using box dye?

From what I understand yes you have to henna first. There is something about the henna and how it opens up the hair shaft and preps the hair to receive the color. The henna is red and the Indigo is green at first but when the air hits it, it turns purple/blue then black. I don’t know the science behind it. But you get the best results after Henna (but you have to do it the same day).

Yes it is WAYYYYYY more safer than a box dye. I was a Loreal girl for a long time. But the Indigo is natural and it is permanent. Unlike hair dye in box you can dye your black hair blond, red or brown again. With Henna and Indigo its like a tattoo placed in the hair shaft. You can't remove it (I have heard people try with bad results). You have to grow it out.

Back