Henna/Indigo update

Just a repeat:

I've never done the all-in-one step, but I'm curious of how much u applied to your hair. When doing my 2 step process, I apply the Henna like I would relaxer, very thick covering every inch of every strand. The same w/ Indigo.

I don't add Lemon Juice, not sure what affect this has. But I leave my Henna on overnight, after I have let the color sit in a warm place in my house for about 24 hours. For the Indigo I just mix, leave 10 mins to release, then apply and leave on for about 2 hours, using heat in cycles (not necessarily the complete 2 hours).

I don't have much gray so I'm not sure. But from the other ladies here have stated it takes a few cycles of this process to obtain the true color tone your looking for.

My mom has done it twice. The first time her grey was like a rust/copper color. But she only did the Henna the first time. The second time she did both in the 2 step process. More grey was covered but still can see it slightly. I think by the 3 or 4th application it will take really well. As for the 2nd application though, the color is lasting pretty good and the grey definitely doesn't have the rust color to it.

Again as I've read it is a process, so maybe the 2nd and 3rd app will go over well for you.

I just did a henna and indigo 2 step. After I rinsed the henna out, my hair was really tough like steel. I feel like my hair can pull a car.:headspin:
When I mixed my indigo, first it was too thick then it was too runny. I couldn't leave it on as long as I wanted because it was running everywhere. I have many green, soon to turn blue towels. Next time I will keep it thicker. I rinsed out the indigo (talk about no slip), and put some AO Island something or other and olive oil and sat under the dryer for 15 minutes. I still have the conditioner on my head. I sure hope it makes my hair softer and easy to comb. I must say, as difficult as it was to detangle my hair after rinsing the henna/indigo, and I mean difficult, I did not have breakage.

Please come back and let us know how it turned out! I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.:yep:

I currently have the henna on my hair right now and I sleepy so I will sleep with it on. I plan to rinse it out in the morning and put the indigo on for a couple of hours. I'll be back!

I have 3 grey hairs (well they are actually white) in the front of my head and they don't look like the henna color took very well; hopefully next time they'll be covered more.

Does anyone know? Can you henna hair too often. Because this henna is like a godsend to me!!! Currently I have my hair in braids but have a lot of grey hair. Previously I used to have a problem leaving the braids in due to greying at the roots, but now, I just apply henna (haven't perfected the indigo part yet!) to the roots and my hair seems to be flourishing!!! previously I had very thin, weak edges and could not take the braids out on the sides without taking out all of the sides. Now it seems much stronger but I am applying henna maybe every two to three weeks. Let me know if I am treading on dangerous ground.

I currently have the henna on my hair right now and I sleepy so I will sleep with it on. I plan to rinse it out in the morning and put the indigo on for a couple of hours. I'll be back!

I have 3 grey hairs (well they are actually white) in the front of my head and they don't look like the henna color took very well; hopefully next time they'll be covered more.

Yes I quoted myself :look::grin:!

I rinsed out the henna about 30 minutes ago and I have the indigo in right now. When I rinsed out the henna my hair (transitioning) my hair was really easy to comb through and my curls seemed elongated. I plan on rinsing the the indigo out in 30 minutes.

I just did a henna and indigo 2 step. After I rinsed the henna out, my hair was really tough like steel. I feel like my hair can pull a car.:headspin:It does make it noticeably stronger. A very BIG plus for me.
When I mixed my indigo, first it was too thick then it was too runny. I couldn't leave it on as long as I wanted because it was running everywhere. I have many green, soon to turn blue towels. Next time I will keep it thicker. I rinsed out the indigo (talk about no slip), and put some AO Island something or other and olive oil and sat under the dryer for 15 minutes. I still have the conditioner on my head. I sure hope it makes my hair softer and easy to comb. I must say, as difficult as it was to detangle my hair after rinsing the henna/indigo, and I mean difficult, I did not have breakage.
I had this same problem the first time..too runny. Well the second time I did this application I made it thicker, and it turned out to be way less of a hassle. Since I have been doing the Hendigo treatments, I seriously have no problem w/ breakage. Every now and then my hair needs extra moisture. But I'm thinking that has something to do w/ GLYCERIN. My hair thrives while using Glycerin, but my goodness it sure does get nasty dry thirsty when I don't have any on. Not sure if I should keep using Glycerin, still pondering.

Does anyone know? Can you henna hair too often. Because this henna is like a godsend to me!!! Currently I have my hair in braids but have a lot of grey hair. Previously I used to have a problem leaving the braids in due to greying at the roots, but now, I just apply henna (haven't perfected the indigo part yet!) to the roots and my hair seems to be flourishing!!! previously I had very thin, weak edges and could not take the braids out on the sides without taking out all of the sides. Now it seems much stronger but I am applying henna maybe every two to three weeks. Let me know if I am treading on dangerous ground.
I have heard of ladies using Henna every two weeks or a month. Henna acts as a protein, so if your hair is not sensitive to protein I couldn't see it being a problem. As a matter of fact I have added some Henna to my tea rinses I do once a week.

Yes I quoted myself :look::grin:!

I rinsed out the henna about 30 minutes ago and I have the indigo in right now. When I rinsed out the henna my hair (transitioning) my hair was really easy to comb through and my curls seemed elongated. I plan on rinsing the the indigo out in 30 minutes.

I sure hope it turns out nice for you. I would love to see some pics.

I sure hope it turns out nice for you. I would love to see some pics.

Umm I am now a hennigo fan!! My hair looks so black and lush and it feels strong!! Despite the messiness and the grittiness of the indigo I plan to do this monthly. :bouncy:

Tigget: I'm sorry I can't do pics but I promise it's pretty :grin:

I have heard of ladies using Henna every two weeks or a month. Henna acts as a protein, so if your hair is not sensitive to protein I couldn't see it being a problem. As a matter of fact I have added some Henna to my tea rinses I do once a week.

I was going to ask if henna was a protein. If so, does this mean I don't have to use things like aphrogee(sp?)? I have Aveeda Damage Remedy. should I not use it anymore? Also, my hair is relaxed. I had little gray hairs along my hair line. the indigo did a great job covering even though I didn't have it on long. My hair is dark and has more of a sheen. The only problem is my hair is breaking. I can just gently slide my hands through the ends and pull out broken hair. should I do a deep moisture treatment?
All henna/indigo expert answers welcomed.:help2:

Umm I am now a hennigo fan!! My hair looks so black and lush and it feels strong!! Despite the messiness and the grittiness of the indigo I plan to do this monthly. :bouncy:

Thanks so much for the update. I am SOLD!!:grin:

Oh, I've been meaning to ask, Indigo doesn't turn your tub blue or anything does it? :blush:

I rinsed in the shower and there was no blue residue at all. I was a little scared on that one myself. I did jack up a couple of towels and a pillow case though :look:.

:feedback::attention::bump:

I was going to ask if henna was a protein. If so, does this mean I don't have to use things like aphrogee(sp?)? I have Aveeda Damage Remedy. should I not use it anymore? Also, my hair is relaxed. I had little gray hairs along my hair line. the indigo did a great job covering even though I didn't have it on long. My hair is dark and has more of a sheen. The only problem is my hair is breaking. I can just gently slide my hands through the ends and pull out broken hair. should I do a deep moisture treatment?

I am so glad it turned out good for you. I was excited my first time too, especially because I was skeptic. I was like well if I lose my hair, I will just KEEP wearing wigs:lachen:

no problem :)

Since I have been using Henna, I haven't really used Aphogee. So I really wouldn't be able to give a concise answer on that. I do know that after the treatments its a MUST to deep condition w/ a moisturizing conditioner. I alos have been co-washing w/ a moisture condish 2 or 3 times a week as well. If I was experiencing broken hair after a Henna treatment, definitely would get some moisture in it.

What type of daily moisturizer do you use?

:feedback::attention::bump:
:lachen::lachen:

no problem :)

Since I have been using Henna, I haven't really used Aphogee. So I really wouldn't be able to give a concise answer on that. I do know that after the treatments its a MUST to deep condition w/ a moisturizing conditioner. I alos have been co-washing w/ a moisture condish 2 or 3 times a week as well. If I was experiencing broken hair after a Henna treatment, definitely would get some moisture in it.

What type of daily moisturizer do you use?

:lachen::lachen:

After the henna I used AO Island ?. I didn't realize that it was mostly a detangling conditioner until I sat under the dryer with it for 1 hour. The next day I used Nexxus Humectress, Kiehl deep conditioning pack, and coconut oil, and a little giovanni 50/50 (mixed together). My hair felt beter. I used giovanni direct leave in. today my dry hair feels a lot more flexible. I'm going to pre-poo again tonight with oil and co-wash in the morning.:hair:

I must be tired. I just realized you said daily moisture. I use a little nexus humectress and seal with coconut oil.

Last edited:
Tigget, I am just so INSPIRED by your hendigo/hair care results. In just 6 weeks your hair looks stronger, sleeker, shinier and healthier. I was already waiting on my henna and indigo to get here, but your results just inspire me to stick to henna, no matter how messy it may turn out to be. Results like yours are so worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Okay ladies, I recolored this weekend. Happy to have the shiny black again. Now I am waiting on the color to oxidize over the next week, to really show off the nice color.

I noticed immediately after I was finished my hair was a lot stronger, and it remained soft. I had no problems w/ dryness or hardness. Thanks ladies. Looks like I will continue to build on this to keep the color nice and shiny.

I would like to know how would I get that blue black color from Henna/Indigo? Shiny blue black. Yeah! I guess I would add more Indigo than needed in order to achieve this.

I would like to know how would I get that blue black color from Henna/Indigo? Shiny blue black. Yeah! I guess I would add more Indigo than needed in order to achieve this.

First henna(at least 1-2 hrs)...rinse w/water then indigo...the longer you leave in the indigo the blacker your hair will become....if you have the time leave it in overnight !!!!

* Don't forget your plastic cap*

First henna(at least 1-2 hrs)...rinse w/water then indigo...the longer you leave in the indigo the blacker your hair will become....if you have the time leave it in overnight !!!!

* Don't forget your plastic cap*

LOL, that was one of the quickest responses I've gotten on this forum. Thank you. So the longer I leave it in, it will get so black that it will have blue highlights?

LOL, that was one of the quickest responses I've gotten on this forum. Thank you. So the longer I leave it in, it will get so black that it will have blue highlights?

It may take 2-3 applications before it's "blueblack"....I've also read that 1T salt mixed in the indigo helps your hair absorb the color.

Good luck and let me know how it works out !!!

Tigget, I am just so INSPIRED by your hendigo/hair care results. In just 6 weeks your hair looks stronger, sleeker, shinier and healthier. I was already waiting on my henna and indigo to get here, but your results just inspire me to stick to henna, no matter how messy it may turn out to be. Results like yours are so worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks (I know this is late, sorry :grin:).

I'm excited!! I will be applying HENDIGO this weekend. I will update w/ pics. I ordered from hennaforhair (accident) this time. So I will be trying their brand of Henna. Not sure if there is a difference between them.

Back